[AC] [Proposal] Future Admin Meetings

Firstly, I apologise if you were mislead into thinking I would be proposing to you in this topic. C45y put forward a suggestion with me for more regular meetings, which got me thinking on this idea.

Rather than having monthly admin meetings, we aim for three meetings a month in a setup that would look something like this:

• Week 1 - Admin Meeting
  • Week 2 - Admin / Moderator Meeting
  • Week 3 - Public Meeting

For the public meeting in particular, we need to clearly establish a run-time otherwise we could end up talking for several hours. This format would ensure that at the start of each month, we can start planning out internalised tasks, then by the second week we have all staff involved on discussions until we open the floor and gather feedback from our entire community by the third week.

Attendance for all three meetings would not be required but encouraged as much as you can manage, we need to consider timezones before establishing a time for each of the three meetings and we'll need to carry over an agenda to give structure to the week 2 & 3 meetings.

Some people may point out that there are four or five weeks in a month, so do we just have a gap there where nothing happens, I mean we have 4-5 week gaps in between current meetings so that is good? No. My suggestion here would be for week 4 or 5 to be a fun week, where staff can meet up in-game either to attend events created on C / P / S or even something on event. The aim here is simply to relax and have fun, a bit of team building and community interaction as we are criticised for not being around in-game.

I completely support this idea but I do have a few concerns:

1. In the past we have had trouble finding people to 'lead' the meeting and be the dominant speaker. If we are going to start doing meetings on a regular basis we need to find some system to make sure there is always someone that is the main speaker. I came late to the admin meeting tonight but it appeared there was no 'lead speaker'. If we can't get one for an admin meeting how are we going to find one for 3 different meetings? =/
  2. 3 Meetings a month can get tiresome and could eventually seen as bothersome by some. Not sure how to handle/fix it but it is a concern I have

Meetings a month can get tiresome and could eventually seen as bothersome by some. Not sure how to handle/fix it but it is a concern I have

Attending a (hopefully shorter due to frequency) meeting once a week is a lot better than an hour or more meeting once a whenever, plus having them flow on from the top down will hopefully help us better communicate things to the community, something we are often not doing well enough

1. In the past we have had trouble finding people to 'lead' the meeting and be the dominant speaker. If we are going to start doing meetings on a regular basis we need to find some system to make sure there is always someone that is the main speaker. I came late to the admin meeting tonight but it appeared there was no 'lead speaker'. If we can't get one for an admin meeting how are we going to find one for 3 different meetings? =/

I've had to kind of take over in the past meetings that I have been at because they go at a snails pace.   We really need who ever is running the meeting to have a mic or things just progress far too slowly.

• Upvote 1

At the previous meetings (that I was at) that I led, I feel our pace has approached something fairly optimal - last month's one was about an hour iirc, compared to the 4 hour monster of a meeting one time. Having someone with a mic to keep the meeting moving and to summarize discussions for the benefit of a notetaker is essential.

I think that 3 meetings a month is excessive and will result in lackluster attendance. Imo we should be aiming for monthly admin meetings, quarterly or per-trimester public townhall meetings, and full staff meetings of one of the above frequencies.

Guest Former Staff

At the previous meetings (that I was at) that I led, I feel our pace has approached something fairly optimal - last month's one was about an hour iirc, compared to the 4 hour monster of a meeting one time. Having someone with a mic to keep the meeting moving and to summarize discussions for the benefit of a notetaker is essential.

Once we have the next meeting agenda released / open for editing then we need to find a lead speaker who can work through the agenda with a microphone.

Hopefully we can contribute to the agenda document more beforehand, to provide a few more notes as talking points especially if someone can't attend to raise it.

I'm fine leading meetings and typing as we go, sadly the optimal meeting time seems to be during work hours for me. Depending on when the next one is scheduled I'm happy to lead through an agenda if there are no other volunteers.

I think 3 meeting a month is too many and will result in less overall participation.

My original idea when I started the admin meetings was to have an admin meeting monthly, staff meeting quarterly, and general meeting either quarterly or biannual. I don't recall why this did not happen, but I would like to suggest this format again. 

The admin and staff meetings would be run like they way we currently run admin meetings. The general meeting would be setup were people submits something they would like to talk about and they get a set amount of time to talk about that topic during the meeting. Everyone else, except for staff, would be muted. This format would allow people to speak without having a few people take over the meeting or try to discredit whoever is talking, and staff could also look into the topics people have suggested before the meeting so we would not as much "we will get back to you on that" going on.

No matter how often we have these meetings, I think this  would be the best way to run the general meetings.

Side note: I just ordered a new mic, so I will have one for the next meeting.