After Survival Revision 29

To our Survival Community, this post is to inform you that at the end of the current revision, we will not be launching another Survival revision immediately afterwards.

Survival this year has been interesting to follow, while I have been doing so from the perspective of someone viewing feedback from the community (primarily) there can be no doubt that there have been some major events throughout which in some way or another have changed the outcome of the server, to say the least.

Revision 29, which launched recently saw the revision put together from the "map preparation stage" with just one Survival Admin involved, LadyRavenOwl who was somehow juggling a huge schedule alongside contributing to the map. C45y kindly took the time to bring survival into a development server outside of Nerd originally, due to our staff communication breaking down. There are a few individuals such as Zburdsal who have contributed to bringing the map to a playable state.

While these events describe a group of individuals who care about bringing the revision to life with their time, it also highlights some of the primary concerns we have faced during the preparation of Survival 29 but by no means is an extensive list. We have since addressed in some part and are making a greater effort in communicating amongst ourselves better. I'm posting this here in the community forums out of respect for those that care about the survival community.

With all of this in mind, there are some announcements to make in regards to Survival. The decisions we have made so far are either requests from LadyRavenOwl, my own thoughts (based on viewing the state of Survival and community feedback), those of the head admin team and also a collaboration of those mixed together.

Once this revision of Survival has concluded, LadyRavenOwl will be aiming to return to the Event Admin role alongside SwitchViewz. Originally LadyRavenOwl had hoped to guide new admins to run Survival at a level which they would no longer need her direct guidance. LadyRavenOwl has not been working behind the scenes on Event Admin duties, her focus is completely upon this revision.

We will not be seeking new Survival Admins at this time or plan to issue a Revision 30. For the foreseeable future, this will be the last revision of Survival. The pressure of a constant cycle of revisions and the consumption of several admins this year alone (for varying reasons) doesn't seem to be working. Rather than dissapoint the community with constantly pumping out revisions without addressing our failings, it seems best to approach the lesser of two evils which is to dissapoint the community for a period of time while we put together a solid plan.

It's still extremely early into revision 29 but I feel that in the interests of opening up communication, this post is important to make. While you're reading this post, I've opened up a topic in the admin forum which aims to address the future of Survival. I understand that it may seem odd not to be directly seeking feedback from the Survival community at this stage but the reasoning for it is because our existing admin teams have all generally been involved with establishing revisions at some stage or another. Their feedback is to address specifics related to admin responsibilities of which they have current experience in.

This post is only the first step in our approach. The admin feedback is the second step we are working on but I can say that for certainty, when it comes to specific Survival ideas, such as mechanics, game-play and experiences that you would like to see from Survival then there is no better person I can think of to ask for that feedback than our Survival community. While ideas are just that, ideas, we appreciate any feedback you have from this post and in future when we will seek centralised feedback, I would be aiming to mark the collection of it with a summary of how we intend to address some of the issues that our admins are currently discussing to enable community shared ideas to go forward.

Edit: If you wish to share your feedback and thoughts, you're welcome to contribute within this topic or here at the subreddit.