After Survival Revision 29: Feedback & Thoughts

Thank you for soliciting feedback about your post canceling survival.  I have some questions.

• You say that you will not be having a Survival Revision 30, but what is the status of the current revision?  Will it remain up until you have "address[ed] the future of Survival," or will you be taking it down after a couple months (or sooner)?
  • You also say that you will not be replacing the current S Admin positions.  What does this mean for the admin duties of the current revision?
  • You attribute part of the issue with survival to "staff communication breaking down."  I agree.  You also stated "We have since addressed in some part and are making a greater effort in communicating amongst ourselves better."  Would you please elaborate about how you have addressed this issue?
  • Would you be amenable to more radical changes in how nerd (as a whole) is operated, to avoid such issues in the future?  I know several people who attribute nerd's disfunction to its operational structure.  I would love to speak with you in detail about this.
  • During the donation drive, we were told that nerd would be using the money to "keep the servers running for another year."  Are you concerned that you failed to meet this promise to those who gave you money on behalf of the survival server?
  • Also during the donation drive, you promised to expand into other games and minecraft gametypes.  Yet you also partially attribute Survival's failure to "the pressure of a constant cycle of revisions."  How will you handle the pressure of expansion differently?
Edited by roastnewt
  • Upvote 6

Guest Former Staff

Thanks for taking the time to raise these questions Roastnewt. At least some of these have already crossed my mind in specific concern to Survival closing for a period of time but I didn't want to add to an already lengthy post. My biggest worry is people being disappointed.

You say that you will not be having a Survival Revision 30, but what is the status of the current revision?  Will it remain up until you have "address[ed] the future of Survival," or will you be taking it down after a couple months (or sooner)?

The current revision is remaining up for people to play on. In terms of a timescale, I'm not sure exactly how long the revision is planned for it but that is something I'll catch LadyRavenOwl to ask about. I very much intend to spend some time building on Survival 29 and playing on there (I have a location and a rough plan for a build so I intend to play for the long-run).

You also say that you will not be replacing the current S Admin positions.  What does this mean for the admin duties of the current revision?

Within my post I tried to make it clear that LadyRavenOwl is focused on Survival 29 for the duration but you're right, one person can't manage all of the admin requests for a revision without going through a burnout phase. With LadyRavenOwl giving us direction, the admin teams will help to ensure that admin requests are attended to as quickly as they allow us to complete.

You attribute part of the issue with survival to "staff communication breaking down."  I agree.  You also stated "We have since addressed in some part and are making a greater effort in communicating amongst ourselves better."  Would you please elaborate about how you have addressed this issue?

Certainly, I speak from my own experience in regards to this topic though. Other admins may have further information to shed from before I rejoined the head admin team one week ago.

One of the ways we have addressed some of our communication breaking down is through our Tech Admin master lists through the use of Trello. While our publicly-viewable page is primarily for co-ordinating assistance with user submitted bugs, the private page is used for an expanded array of requests and reports.

I have been personally having private conversations with individual admins, one at a time to find out how things are going, listen to concerns and make sure that I'm on the same page with needs respective to their server / role. This will be a recurring task that I don't foresee ever ending. From my perspective, by reaching out this way I can hopefully increase our productivity and it seems to be very constructive so far.

Would you be amenable to more radical changes in how nerd (as a whole) is operated, to avoid such issues in the future?  I know several people who attribute nerd's disfunction to its operational structure.  I would love to speak with you in detail about this.

This is a very broad question / suggestion but as long as someone takes the time to put together an idea, no matter how different it may be to the current status quo, I'll discuss it. I might need to get some sleep shortly but if you want to discuss this in more detail, feel free to open up a message on IRC and I can come listen to you on mumble / through IRC (or otherwise).

During the donation drive, we were told that nerd would be using the money to "keep the servers running for another year."  Are you concerned that you failed to meet this promise to those who gave you money on behalf of the survival server?

I am concerned especially as this leads into my worry from the top of this post about people being disappointed. This hurts me too, as my own donations have been to support the continuation of our community servers. This ties in with the tough decision of whether we keep on going as we are without adapting ourselves. Given how early it is in the current revision, if we can get everything sorted out by the end of revision 29 (whenever that may be), that would be a big win.

• Also during the donation drive, you promised to expand into other games and minecraft gametypes.  Yet you also partially attribute Survival's failure to "the pressure of a constant cycle of revisions."  How will you handle the pressure of expansion differently?

This is currently the subject of ongoing conversations with the admins. There's no short answer for exactly how the pressure will be handled into our expansion but so far we are being cautious especially as we've not seen something like this worked on for some time prior to this year (to my knowledge). That said, and going back to the donation drive checkpoints, I feel safe to say that some people may have contributed at least in part to the target of expanding into other games and minecraft gametypes so we're giving ourselves deadlines to work against because it wouldn't be acceptable to be having the conversation of expansion in 12 months time with nothing to show for it.

We can't avoid what was inevitably going to be decided. But in light of loss, what are you going to present us with instead? You cannot simply say something this bold after a successful donation drive. Not without presenting exactly what is to follow. As we currently know, this community runs on a set budget, with the survival server being shut down, does this mean that creative and pve will be able to run longer? Or does this mean that We will simply be wasting some valuable server space with absolutely nothing? People who have donated will find this very concerning. While I'm 80% sure it is the latter of the two, you absolutely must present to us what is to fill the empty space on the nerd.nu server. Are we going to begin hosting games that survival players enjoy such as Counter Strike? They do deserve something in return for your failure to meet their ever-changing desires. It would certainly anger a lot of vocal survival players to find that you've simply given that extra space over to Creative or PVE. So please, enlighten us on what will follow before the remainder of the survival player base becomes furious.

• Upvote 1

I feel this will lead to better discussion to be started once the admins have had their discussion. I hope topics that have been shut down in the past could be reattempted. I like that the staff are not burning themselves out for the sake of a diminishing and often negative community. 

Xkinoec there was never any promise with the donations as to exactly what it would get you, it was to keep the rented servers rented. I do like your ideas, but nothing is deserved, especially by the negative vocal people.

• Upvote 6

Sad to see S finally go.

Suggestion

1. Put the server on another box (shitty if necessary) and open donations specifically for survival which fund that box.

2. If the donations don't make hosting costs, shut it down
3. Only affiliate yourselves loosely with it
4. Appoint admins based on a vote or a similar kind of process

5. Admins can take the server in whatever PVP-flavoured direction they have a mandate for

It seems mad to see the nerd.nu PVP-enabled server closing while PVP in general makes up the vast majority of minecraft servers

What have you got to lose if it's shutting down anyway?

Edited by barneygale
  • Upvote 9

Guest Former Staff

XkinOEC

Before moving onto your questions, I have to say that initially I read this in such a way that I don't feel translated well from typed text. Since we talked briefly via pm about this topic, I can certainly appreciate your standpoint from which you would like to ensure that some of these questions are addressed sooner rather than later.

(I'll be amalgamating a few of your questions together)

in light of loss, what are you going to present us with instead?

Are we going to begin hosting games that survival players enjoy such as Counter Strike?

does this mean that We will simply be wasting some valuable server space with absolutely nothing?

...to find that you've simply given that extra space over to Creative or PVE...

Presently we have a new survival revision which we are planning on running for the course of summer. So while there is no immidiate loss, I hope this gives people more confidence to invest time in revision 29.

Looking ahead, we've managed to begin admin testing for one of our expanded, non-Minecraft games through the space available on our existing hardware this is all while C, P & S are running. I've checked in with the Tech Admins to ensure I'm not talking out of my arse on this one but they have confirmed that there are no plans to dissolve the resources S is using currently between C and P after revision 29 ends. Eventually I think we would all like to see S be running alongside C and P in future, just not as it has been.

this community runs on a set budget, with the survival server being shut down, does this mean that creative and pve will be able to run longer?

The hardware setup has not changed so current running costs will not change. I started up a topic, initially discussing our funding concerns before our successful fundraiser which has since been talking about reducing our server costs. If anyone has something further to add for us to consider, please take a look at the topic here.

People who have donated will find this very concerning.

I feel this way too, from the perspective of someone who donated to the running costs and expansion of our community, I understand. Even for those who did not donate, I still think that they deserve a strong opinion too, to share.

They do deserve something in return for your failure to meet their ever-changing desires.

Deserve doesn't seem to convey the message strong enough, we need to be better at the services we provide overall. We do get really serious about our blocks at times but in between preparing revisions and building bases, I'm sure most of us have talked to the Human you're playing alongside. The escape, interaction and joy that this community provides, far outweighs the negatives in my opinion at least.

Tobylane

I feel this will lead to better discussion to be started once the admins have had their discussion. I hope topics that have been shut down in the past could be reattempted. I like that the staff are not burning themselves out for the sake of a diminishing and often negative community.

This is exactly my intention in regards to this announcement and current feedback, whether gathered from admins or the wider community. Needless to say I've spent far more time and effort responding back to the public areas on this discussion than in the admin forum.

We could have very easily let this announcement stay hidden, keep communication silent and have you all wondering why LadyRavenOwl was working alone. Hopefully being up-front as early as possible will help us prepare for the future better and show some respect to our community by being more open with these messages.

In regards to topics that have been shut down in the past, if there are any which people wish to re-attempt to bring further constructive comments to the table, by all means please do so.

Barney - Wait?! Hello again! Gale

Suggestion

What have you got to lose if it's shutting down anyway?

These are the kind of suggestions that I'm hoping to address with the admin teams, in terms of defining a structure for S to move forward with before coming back to the community where the remainder of the discussion can take place. Thanks for you putting these ideas forward, in the spirit of "what have we got to lose", I agree, there's no idea I won't listen to.

I actually kinda like that idea BarneyGale had, put it on a cheap machine, separate bans, websites, and such, make it run on a bit of a different governing system, but still partially overseen by the nerd.nu head administration(similar to how china does with Hong Kong), at least until it takes off and gets on its feet, could eventually allow it full separation, or even full return and adaption for our current community if it somehow works out well. 

Honestly, it could be really cool, imagine it in a democratic voting system similar to the United States, having primary elections, campaigns for office, debates, and all sorts of fun things that could even bring some hype to the community. Then the new governing body will make decisions on how to change and upgrade the servers.  Ultimate rule would be that the new leader(s) cannot change the system of election, Voting will be held on a set date 1-2 times a year, and appointing positions is entirely in the active and registered-to-vote community decisions. We will obviously need to come up with a way to determine active and real community members... as we can see by the current nerd.nu system of voting moderators, if the staff list isn't purged for active votes, we will still see completely inactive staff give their two cents on the people in line to become moderators.

Again, since it would be a small box, and it will lightly be monitored by nerd.nu to start, it will be able to take off a bit, but should become self reliant on its own soon enough. If it fails/money runs out, then the hosting company turns it off and it goes offline, at least that's how every server I've purchased for things has worked. So it's not like a debt collection company will be coming after the server if it does fail. It would just... End. But I still think this could be worth a shot.

• Upvote 1

I actually kinda like that idea BarneyGale had, put it on a cheap machine, separate bans, websites, and such, make it run on a bit of a different governing system, but still partially overseen by the nerd.nu head administration(similar to how china does with Hong Kong), at least until it takes off and gets on its feet, could eventually allow it full separation, or even full return and adaption for our current community if it somehow works out well. 

Honestly, it could be really cool, imagine it in a democratic voting system similar to the United States, having primary elections, campaigns for office, debates, and all sorts of fun things that could even bring some hype to the community. Then the new governing body will make decisions on how to change and upgrade the servers.  Ultimate rule would be that the new leader(s) cannot change the system of election, Voting will be held on a set date 1-2 times a year, and appointing positions is entirely in the active and registered-to-vote community decisions. We will obviously need to come up with a way to determine active and real community members... as we can see by the current nerd.nu system of voting moderators, if the staff list isn't purged for active votes, we will still see completely inactive staff give their two cents on the people in line to become moderators.

Again, since it would be a small box, and it will lightly be monitored by nerd.nu to start, it will be able to take off a bit, but should become self reliant on its own soon enough. If it fails/money runs out, then the hosting company turns it off and it goes offline, at least that's how every server I've purchased for things has worked. So it's not like a debt collection company will be coming after the server if it does fail. It would just... End. But I still think this could be worth a shot.

The solution is always the 'Murica server! I cant completely get behind this idea for a few reasons.

1) why would we play there if it's not nerd? We all stay here for the rules and the community, why would we essentially become a junction 2.0?

2) why would nerd need to be involved in the making of this "secondary server" at all? For the funding? For the moderating? What can we bring to the table that anyone else with $10 a month not bring?

Overall I am very please we made this move for survival. It's the best thing that could be done to help re-brand survival into something made for this generation of competitive servers that exist today.

• Upvote 2

The solution is always the 'Murica server! I cant completely get behind this idea for a few reasons.

1) why would we play there if it's not nerd? We all stay here for the rules and the community, why would we essentially become a junction 2.0?

2) why would nerd need to be involved in the making of this "secondary server" at all? For the funding? For the moderating? What can we bring to the table that anyone else with $10 a month not bring?

Overall I am very please we made this move for survival. It's the best thing that could be done to help re-brand survival into something made for this generation of competitive servers that exist today.

I never said the solution is 'MERICA, I simply am stating that it can bring a nice vigor to what was the survival community. Having things like elections, that frequently occur will bring excitement and anticipation. As well as drive people to be better and more creative when thinking of improvements to the server...

to answer your questions:

1) You wouldn't, survival players would however. Loose affiliation will help start a small sub-community. I honestly find it hard to believe anyone would stay on nerd.nu for it's rules, maybe the community, but people come to nerd.nu to play with blocks with people, rather than alone in single player. To some extent, I feel that "the rules" and methods of nerd.nu may have been just what brought survival down to this point, but that's a concern for another day. What's junction?

2.1) nerd would have to be involved because it would be formed from it's current survival community, as well as an obligation to getting everything done appropriately. Yes, initial money, Tech staff who would help build the initial plugins, websites, and setup of the server, as well as temporary staff until all positions needed are filled.  

2.2) It depends on what you're talking about with the $10 a month, if you're insisting that's all it takes for running this community for a year is $120 then I might as well take ownership now and with a proposed $6,000 buyout or something. But assuming you mean just survival, loose affiliation would mean that people from nerd.nu would be able to find out about it easily. I can't start a server right now and then tell anyone over the forums or server about it without getting banned for advertisement. We still have a community, and people who join nerd.nu simply for survival... The lobby could still maintain the portal, or at least a sign with the new join IP for this new server, which would help it to start off. I couldn't do that even if I begged. However while still loosely tied together, it would not receive criticism from players of Creative and Pve who simply did not care for the gameplay or server and have felt it's shutdown ideal for years.

In the end we would not be starting a new server, we're allowing survival to continue where it left off while slowly separating from nerd.nu and being run by only it's own active players decisions. I suppose it would also hopefully maintain a place in the Lobby, but can otherwise be disconnected from nerd.nu to avoid safety issues at the box, and ending its use of nerd.nu's budget(once stable).

• Upvote 1

1.) This server would be for people who like to play on multiple servers and don't belong to only one community. Also, hopefully some of the survival community would survive (geddit? ;D). I wouldn't want it to become Junction, where we faffed around forever writing rules and shit. Just hand it over to someone who's done this sort of thing before and don't worry too much about staff structure until it's on its feet

2.) Skills and oversight I think

• Upvote 2

Guest Former Staff

I honestly find it hard to believe anyone would stay on nerd.nu for it's rules, maybe the community, but people come to nerd.nu to play with blocks with people, rather than alone in single player. To some extent, I feel that "the rules" and methods of nerd.nu may have been just what brought survival down to this point, but that's a concern for another day. What's junction?

All valid concerns here from you XkinOEC but I'm going to be that person and say that the rules in some part go towards keeping me playing here, at least when I joined back in Summer '11. I imagine other servers have changed now but when I was starting out in my multiplayer adventures, I ended up joining servers that were run by children. Children are fine but what we tend to take a hard stance on here, abusing mod powers, was rampant on other servers. From a child's perspective, they are just having fun but here we have a different kind of respect for making things fair for all and not spawning in items for an advantage without dire consequences.

That said, I see where you're coming from. I imagine most normal people don't pay a huge attention to the overall structure of the rules in the first few days and learn more as they play more. So the community and fun elements are the main draws.

All valid concerns here from you XkinOEC but I'm going to be that person and say that the rules in some part go towards keeping me playing here, at least when I joined back in Summer '11. I imagine other servers have changed now but when I was starting out in my multiplayer adventures, I ended up joining servers that were run by children. Children are fine but what we tend to take a hard stance on here, abusing mod powers, was rampant on other servers. From a child's perspective, they are just having fun but here we have a different kind of respect for making things fair for all and not spawning in items for an advantage without dire consequences.

That said, I see where you're coming from. I imagine most normal people don't pay a huge attention to the overall structure of the rules in the first few days and learn more as they play more. So the community and fun elements are the main draws.

I understand what you're saying as well, but  While nerd.nu does have rules preventing power abuse, staff cheating, and of course getting OP by asking, so do many other servers. It's what keeps us running tightly, but it's hardly what keeps the players returning, and new players joining...   And no one will ever be able to convince me that anyone has visited this page and said "MY GOODNESS, this server has totally won me over with this rules page that is longer than most EULAs" non-sarcastically. Although, I will say the rules have grown significantly since you first joined, which at the time, when Minecraft was young, these rules were a revolutionary thing. These were the first public servers after all. 

Rules do matter, but only indirectly. A server with good rules and governance will maintain existing players and keep them happy. If those players stick around they'll recommend players and word will get around. That said, very few people (even when minecraft was dominated by old fucks) choose a server specifically for its ruleset. Most people just go in for a type of server.

I haven't been following nerd for a few months now, but when I left the impression everyone had was that survival was in terminal decline. That's been the feeling for many revisions now, and that feeling put people off recommending the server, or really trying anything experimental at all. That's in complete contrast to when I joined, when every revision was bigger and better than the last, and everyone was experimenting and building, trying to make a name for themselves by doing something new. Another thing about this era is that there wasn't so much player/staff divide as there is now, IMO principally because people were promoted through the "ranks" really fast. A very similar thing happened at a bittorrent tracker I worked on, where the core team (that worked well together) dropped off one-by-one, to be replaced at a slower and slower pace with more disconnected people with no passion for the site and community.

If times are good at the server then stability of staff and rules are something to aim for (within reason). If survival's future is as gloomy as it appears, then stability is not going to help. IMO the only thing that can raise expectations, bring back some optimism and excitement, is just to start a new PVP server with new people running it. They can be existing moderatorss, existing players, outsiders, whatever. Let people form teams and put forward proposals. Give the community a couple of weeks to discuss them then have a vote. Winning team gets technical assistance and experience from existing admins. Now you have a new server where no one knows where it's going, whether it's going to be crazy successful or a complete failure. That's something I'd contribute and play on, not a server lumbering under essentially the same playstyle and moderation as it had 4-5 years ago.

If anyone's reading this and thinking "oh barneygale wants sneak back into mod" I'm not interested. I had that opportunity with Junction and didn't use it, because I lost my passion for the game quite a while ago.

• Upvote 1

I also find it crazy that the post that seems to me to spell the end of survival has what, 13 comments? A few more on the subreddit? This server attracted hundreds of people on a good night, and must have gone through a hundred mods/admins through its history. What a pity it ends like this, with a few stragglers wishing it goodbye. In retrospect my suggestion probably wouldn't work unless some PVE players had a good idea for a PVP server.

• Upvote 4

I also find it crazy that the post that seems to me to spell the end of survival has what, 13 comments? A few more on the subreddit? This server attracted hundreds of people on a good night, and must have gone through a hundred mods/admins through its history. What a pity it ends like this, with a few stragglers wishing it goodbye. In retrospect my suggestion probably wouldn't work unless some PVE players had a good idea for a PVP server.

I love the idea of a role play server, people act out their roles in their own little towns, some form of NPCs maybe? 

PVP could come from warring factions in this RP world. Probably no grief (unless a system to breach castle walls was made) 

I think it would be very interesting to have players mold their own world.

I can't think of much atm, but I'm sure with the combined ideas of the community it could turn out to be a unique server that sets us apart from any other community.

Edited by Difficult1
  • Upvote 1

I love the idea of a role play server, people act out their roles in their own little towns, some form of NPCs maybe?

Isn't that already pve, minus the NPC's?

It would actually be a great idea to add quest NPC's to the PVE Server.

PVP could come from warring factions in this RP world. Probably no grief (unless a system to breach castle walls was made)

That's what s currently aims to be.

I think it would be very interesting to have players mold their own world.

That already happens.

... but I'm sure with the combined ideas of the community it could turn out to be a unique server that sets us apart from any other community.

Depends. If you take ideas from people who have no intention to play, that may lead to a high signal-to-noise ratio, which will lead to a thread like this being created in the future.

Edited by gsand
  • Upvote 2

Depends. If you take ideas from people who have no intention to play, that may lead to a high signal-to-noise ratio, which will lead to a thread like this being created in the future.

Precisely why I don't generally give input over gameplay for S. But based on conversations I've had, it seems the issue people find is mostly... People, no one plays, therefore nothing to do. If we're going to focus on fixing S's current issues rather than letting it go away or go it's own route, we need to tackle this issue from a different Angle. Obviously less people means less fun, and less fun means less people playing and sticking around. So an endless downward spiral, which only gets a boost from a new revision... Obviously we cannot just keep releasing new revisions each week until we maintain a 20 player minimum during non-peak hours. So, what are some sort of boosts that people would suggest?

This may be a good time to bring up something I know I've suggested in the past, but probably not gotten a word of it to Sadmins... It is in some aspects similar to what Difficult1 said here,  NPCs role playing as players... Essentially, the server will have a few bot players, that will walk around, find materials to make weapons and food, and attack players who are in their line of sight, we could give it a kill cooldown too so the bots don't get too smart and start spawn camping people. 

Although building on Difficult1's idea, there are mods like MineColony that can probably be accomplished with plugin forms, if people truly want to go the route of responsive NPC villages.

• Upvote 1

Isn't that already pve, minus the NPC's?

In some forms yes. but primarily no. global RP isn't allowed just like the other servers. Of course every town has their little thing, but its all just for shits n giggles really, no hardcore RP

That's what s currently aims to be.

yea but its on its last rev, so this is a replacement idea rather then just using the resources for P and C. Also the execution on S wasn't all that great.

It would actually be a great idea to add quest NPC's to the PVE Server.

Kind of hard to get people to accept such a changes such as that. Theres always a few people who will complain if you added any sort of structure.

I personally would love to have static standing NPC's with one or two dialogs when you enter a set proximity. Make towns a little more busy then they normally are :D

For quests thats not probably gunna happen. Any reward given is just cheating on PVE and farmable. 

Who cares, if they have good ideas let them share, its a forum after all. Also half the people on the forums coming up with decent ideas i never see on the servers.

Edited by Difficult1

This may be a good time to bring up something I know I've suggested in the past, but probably not gotten a word of it to Sadmins... It is in some aspects similar to what Difficult1 said here,  NPCs role playing as players... Essentially, the server will have a few bot players, that will walk around, find materials to make weapons and food, and attack players who are in their line of sight, we could give it a kill cooldown too so the bots don't get too smart and start spawn camping people. 

Maybe not walking around collecting (farming small areas probably). But maybe a more effective way of having NPC's like that would be caravans or patrols along roads you could ambush for supplies?

Now, I'm sure theres a way to do it with NPC's and I'm sure it would be a hell of a lot easier to make a modded server for this, but I'm worried modded servers would be no bueno because people won't really go through the time of getting a modpack just for a server with all the other options. (yes I'm aware modpacks are extremely popular and have communities of their own)

Edited by Difficult1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not saying to modpack the servers, we've gone through this conversation multiple times, and it seems staff here are firmly against it. Plugins can achieve the things I suggested though.

But I wont say a modded survival server is a bad idea either. Perhaps something that the new leader(s) of it could consider if the whole idea of splitting off comes into fruition.

• Upvote 1