[PMC] Fundraiser #2 - Development

SwitchViewz

Lime spawn ship is...mostly done at this point I think.  I am thinking about adding in emergency exits that open up near the engine intakes (there are signs on the port side that mark approximate location) and maybe some weapons/turrets on the outside, but otherwise any further interior work outside of lighting/wall decorations/signs/closing out extraneous rooms will require additional specifications about what is required to be onboard the ship.  

The current ship plans I have look something like this:

On the upper deck from forward to aft - bridge (extraneous), briefing room, supply closet (extraneous), vertical shafts (some sort of elevator), engineering (extraneous).

On the lower deck from forward to aft - staging area (contains exit), corridors and sheep room, the vertical shafts, a melon farm.

What I was thinking about when building (and admittedly forgetting how this was done in previous CTFs) was that players would spawn on the upper deck in the briefing room where all information containing the rules, objectives, map, etc. would be stored.  Signs would point players toward the vertical shafts (doors to extraneous rooms would be closed for the event), where players would make their way down to the bottom deck, get food or sheep, and then set their spawn in the staging room to allow for easier access to the exit when they respawn.

Already I can think of a few weak or deviating points:

• Any method of setting spawn (that I know of anyway) means that the other team, should they make it so far in, can set their spawn on the other team's ship (might be cool, but there would be little incentive to reset spawn at home ship, which is bad).  Scrapping the spawn setting methods in the staging room would require respawned players to traverse the ship again to exit (which I think is unreasonably long and also bad).  Humorously, it could be defended as an incentive to not die - but the path out of the ship from the briefing room is still pretty long regardless of how it is explained away.  Might be better to simply move initial spawn to the staging area and assume knowledge of the map and objectives are known already...which in previous CTFs has been the case.
  • Information can be time-consuming to read and examine, and time spent reading through it in the beginning of the game is time lost in launching an offensive or mounting a defense, which is disadvantageous to the team.  (I do, incidentally, have a switch on the bridge that opens and closes the staging room exit doors, but that was mainly for the realism and for fun aspect of building.)
  • Sheep room is a bit narrow and can hold enough sheep to get started, but is there a way to prevent griefing before the team has a chance to deploy them in a better farm?
  • I added droppers in the melon room (need to add hoppers/chests externally if they are to be used) to act as a quick source of food if the melons in the farms are depleted - my hope is that when the droppers run out of food, a better source of food will have already been built and/or the demand on the melons in the farm is not high enough to keep them constantly empty.

Let me know any feedback you have on this.

Eadmins and schererererer (who is working on the analogous yellow spawn ship) - I'm open to input about changing up the interior to either make things less OP or balance features on both ships; let me know if there are changes you would like to see.  I should be able to make changes with what I have so far; if not I probably have enough to redesign the ship from pieces of the existing model (though hull plating would take time to redraw).

• Upvote 1

Team balance

Questions:

• Have we decided on a method of balancing teams yet?

The only way I believe it could work is with what redwall suggested earlier in the thread, allow people to switch into teams that are 'losing', as either defined by score or requiring an admin to run some command.

Other than that your changes sound like a much needed modernisation of CutePVP, I love your ideas, great job planning it all out :)

• Upvote 1

Buzzie: I should be able to make things work mostly parallel to what you have in lime ship (what's the ship's name anyways?) aside from the toggleable deployment doors which are rather tricky to do when surrounded by redstone blocks (which might end up being more of a teamgrief nuisance in the end). Good call on emergency exits. Also, I can't seem to find the briefing room on your ship as labeled in the model for some reason.

• Upvote 1

Ahh oops, my wool model is outdated >< - the briefing room is on the top deck behind the bridge.  It's...a bit far from the exit though.  Thinking a warp sign there to get players to the staging room to exit would be a good idea if tests on how much time it takes to exit the ship on spawning show a noticeable difference.

Working ship name at the moment is Endurance - open for changes.  I'm wondering if it would be cool to showcase both spawn ships before the event actually O.o

Exits I am not too sure about - thinking of a way to make it look realistic and work for a lot of players when it's potentially laggy...might be difficult.  Got the exit - iron door with tripwire.

And yeah I intend to remove the door switch for the event.  I'll go do that now actually...

• Upvote 1

Endurance sounds good, and I like the idea of a starship showcase.

If I find that I have enough time, I *might* make a moonbase biodome design to use for each team - I think it would be better to have identical setups for balance purposes. You can list me as tentative for those two categories - I think I'll be able to complete them within the next month.

• Upvote 1

If I find that I have enough time, I *might* make a moonbase biodome design to use for each team - I think it would be better to have identical setups for balance purposes. You can list me as tentative for those two categories - I think I'll be able to complete them within the next month.

Have amended the diagram post to reflect this - thank you!

Also, an idea: would it be feasible for us to prompt a custom resource pack to make things a little more space themed? Keep most blocks very similar to vanilla textures; but make bows into laser rifles, swords into lightsabers, alter the skybox to make it look more properly like outer space, etc. It would give some added aesthetic oomph.

• Upvote 4

Hi - quick build progress update:

Building works:

• 3 of 4 4 of 4 flag islands complete (potential for more if needed).
  • Both spawn ships nearly complete until paste into map (and 100% amazing!).
  • Some great 'space debris' being built, ranging from spaceships to rocks to... pacman?
  • FYI - team colors have changed - it is now Lime vs. Red.

Help still needed:

• Looking into WorldPainter for the larger spawn island(s) - does anyone have any good WP tutorials?
  • Still in need of a builder for the center buff (No. 9 on previous diagram post).
  • We need a lot of tiny, small and medium space-related builds to populate the map - can you help?
  • Anyone willing to build rocks is more than welcome! (Save me...)

Reminders:

If you would like to build and can't find a free plot, please feel free to copy and paste an existing plot to work within.

If you want to help, and aren't whitelisted on the server, just post here and we'll get that sorted out!

Much love to everyone who is helping out so far!

~Didy

• Upvote 3

On the matter of worldpainter, the best way to make floating islands afaik is to generate a hill/mountain, then flip it upside down in game using worldedit - this yields a flat-topped mass that can be further shaped using WE or voxelsniper. You can even generate two hemispheres (N/S) of the island separately to paste together. Caves, ores, and misc flora and features can be introduced in WP to an extent, though again, for finer control one would desire more in game additions. WP by itself does not handle overhangs without getting into much more finicky custom cave stuff.

If I have time, I could give this a shot, but tbh it would be faster and easier on the techs if I were to set up a server on my own computer (haven't done that in a couple of years, heh).

As before, if I find I have ample time at some point I'll jump on it, but for the islands (as opposed to the team domes) assume I will NOT be taking them on for the time being.

• Upvote 1

Update on the Red Team's spaceshipe, the Sanguine-class missile corvette UMCS Valkyrie: construction is nearly done, with only a few cosmetic additions to go (captain's quarters and engineering (dat REGE)). It would be amusing to have command blocks which fire horizontal particle blasts from the main cannons of the ships (e.g. PvE rev 15 spawn cannons), and useful to have command blocks that instantly replenish all harvested melons in the ships' farms (e.g. spawn melons in PvE rev 15). I don't know if we'll be able to / want to set that up on the final map.

Also, what do we need/want incorporated into the moonbase dome(s) - particularly in terms of pre-made services, design with respect to pvp action, etc? What is their ultimate function?

• Upvote 1

Don't know how / who to ask to implement command block ideas, but will try to find out once map is closer to completion.

Please excuse MSPaint again...

yekYdUb.png?1

I made this the other day as a concept. The 'dome' is the team's building / supplies base. I can already see a dome might be hard to protect as we would normally do with base walls, so please don't take this as any kind of design guide i.e. it does not have to be a dome (nor glass etc). However, assumptions I have been making are that the base should probably be covered (due to potentially flying/jetpacking players making it too easy?) and that there are NSEW entrances. In terms of interior, I figured we'd probably need some starter trees / dirt, and maybe the various animal mobs (as acquiring them on this kind of map would be very difficult). Small starter farms might also be helpful (there is no grass for seeds).

However, I am not a particularly PvP orientated player - so if you can see imbalance in terms of design, or a better way of doing this, please mention it!

~Didy

p.s. Update of my own - tried out MCEdit and learnt some basics in order to export a schematic that wasn't missing half the test-island \o/

• Upvote 3

So I've never actually built or even entered a buff tower before. Is the idea to create a sort of challenge where the player has to reach an objective to activate the buff? If so, I have the perfect idea in mind for the space battle...

Yes, there is usually some sort of parkour, spawners, or something else that makes it challenger. It is up to the builder of the buff tower to decide what they want the challenge to be. I look forward to your idea!

• Upvote 1

Update on the Red Team's spaceshipe, the Sanguine-class missile corvette UMCS Valkyrie: construction is nearly done, with only a few cosmetic additions to go (captain's quarters and engineering (dat REGE))...

Dang it looks really nice :O.  I need to step it up on my end ><.

Are the starting sheep going to be in the animal crates inside the domes then?  I will have a room to refurbish onboard lime spawn ship (the one with the grass floor on the bottom deck) if that's the case.

• Upvote 2

Yes, there is usually some sort of parkour, spawners, or something else that makes it challenger. It is up to the builder of the buff tower to decide what they want the challenge to be. I look forward to your idea!

Yeah, Didy mentioned the idea of having it be filled with Creeper spawners. I'm thinking... malfunctioning replicator machines pumping out copies of extraterrestrial life - AKA creepers.

And the idea I mentioned would tie into a light parkour needed to reach the final objective.

I'll probably start work on it as soon as I connect the road I'm building on P. :)

• Upvote 1

Dang it looks really nice :O.  I need to step it up on my end ><.

Are the starting sheep going to be in the animal crates inside the domes then?  I will have a room to refurbish onboard lime spawn ship (the one with the grass floor on the bottom deck) if that's the case.

I'm not 100% positive, but having looked around I don't think Red Team has sheep-storage onboard? Do you have any issues with re-purposing that room and moving starter-sheep to the domes? Its probably the quickest way to bring both team set-ups in line with each other, and I'm thinking the domes are likely where the teams will want the sheep to be (near farms etc.)?

I'm not 100% positive, but having looked around I don't think Red Team has sheep-storage onboard? Do you have any issues with re-purposing that room and moving starter-sheep to the domes? Its probably the quickest way to bring both team set-ups in line with each other, and I'm thinking the domes are likely where the teams will want the sheep to be (near farms etc.)?

No issue at all - in fact, after touring UMCS Valkyrie I just realized I could maybe do with an extra room for realism of the ship...somehow.  (For example, current setup implies that the ship holds a crew of 12 - might be okay for a crack team of commandos but not for a larger group.  Maybe I can reallocate that space for bunks...)

But yeah, having sheep on site in the dome will make farm setup much easier than having to pull them from the ship I think.  I'll re-purpose the room.

• Upvote 1