[PMC] Fundraiser #2 - Development

SwitchViewz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna be pretty much in full ham mode this week to continue fleshing out the center buff tower, and there are a few things I could use a hand with from folks more knowledgeable than I am about our plugins and the usage of things like command blocks.

For starters, regarding the main goal of the thing - because the doors reset when a player activates the exit airlock, I'd like to require that players reach the goal and then escape the ship before the buff is activated. Otherwise they could run in to the goal and then suicide, leaving the doors all open for the next players to just walk right to the goal. Conceptually, the idea would be that players entering the ship are doing so to steal a part from the reactor's particle emitter. Any thoughts on what would be the best way to do this? Could we have a button on the machine linked to a command block that puts a specially-named item in a player's inventory, and maybe have a small ship waiting for them outside the exit airlock that activates the buff when they put the item into a chest/hopper? Or if we're limited to punching signs, would it be possible to have players punch a sign at the goal to set some kind of flag in the plugin, then punch another sign in the dropship to apply the buff to their team if the flag is set? I think the item-carrying model would be more suitable since it would require the player to survive while carrying it (and would also allow enemy players to steal it, which would be interesting). But obviously, all this is limited by what is and is not possible via server plugins and command blocks.

The other one, which I know I've brought up before, is requiring players to re-water an oxygen generating machine in order to open the initial blast door into the main cargo hold. The rough idea was to have a water bucket dispenser (maybe using a command block that gives the player a bucket on activation if the player does not already have one?) and then require the player to fetch water from tanks in the lower cargo hold and place the water in an opening in the machine, where it would then somehow trigger redstone with its flow. However, that would require the water to place as flowing; I'm not sure if that will be a thing on the CTF map. Instead, maybe we could use a filtered hopper system that accepts filled water buckets, triggers a redstone pulse when one is deposited, and then ejects the bucket into a lava block to free up space for further buckets? Does anyone have any other ideas for what would work to have players retrieve a bucket of water and deposit it in the machine? Open to suggestions; pretty much the only absolute condition is that it be capable of sending a redstone pulse (pulse duration doesn't matter; it's just to trigger a flip-flop switch that controls the blast door).

Other than that, the biggest need I have is for suggestions of what sort of facilities to construct to flesh out the interior of the ship and fill in the empty rooms. So far there are two residential wings (the 'pods' on either side of the ship) which are pretty well done; last night I finished them up with laundry and clothing storage facilities. Also hydroponics, engine rooms, and replicator rooms (now with finalized designs and reduced creeper spawner counts because 4 was a bit too much). I might do the bridge and officers' quarters next, and I plan to add a cafeteria and some general-purpose laboratories, plus one of the forward sectors will probably be an animal laboratory with livestock enclosures. But even doing all that will still leave plenty of space yet to develop, so I'm open for ideas. It's supposed to be a research vessel, so any kind of lab or educational/research facility would work. A library, for example - there's one more thing I can put on my to-do list right now. But more suggestions are welcome! Also, any living facilities I might've overlooked (currently have dormitories, lavatories, laundry, and recreational areas).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Centre Buff Tower update:

The interior of the ship is about 99% complete now; all that remains to do is detail one small room, complete the "oxygen plant" with its redstone, and seed items into a number of chests.

Torteela is working on the aforementioned redstone.

Didy, Silver and I worked out a plan for the structure and function of easy-signs to progress players through the objectives as designed; as part of this, an item turn-in destination is required as a site for actual activation of the buff. This will be a small (relatively :P) shuttle pulled up alongside the egress airlock, which I've begun working on. Should be able to get that mostly, if not completely, finished tonight.

The only other thing that will be needed will be a source of buckets for players to use in the water-fetching objective to open the second blast door. I'm thinking maybe just an easy-sign with max gives of 16 (and a warning that players visiting more times than that will need to "BYOB").

There is, at long last, a light at the end of the tunnel. Only 4-5 days overdue. >_> <_<

• Upvote 1

There is, at long last, a light at the end of the tunnel.

It looks amazing Narissis, I can't wait to see the finished article!

hey do we need any more little spaceships? I have a couple 80's lego ships i can donate to the cause (specifically the 487 Space Cruiser and 497 Galaxy Explorer :D )

Hey rob_r we can always use more little spaceships! If you'd like to come and build some you are more than welcome (catch me in game or pm me for details on where to build).

Thanks guys!

~Didy

Destination shuttle is done; all rooms inside Othello are furnished.

As soon as we have the redstone set up and the oxygen plant built cosmetically around it, plus the easy-signs set up and tested, we'll be finished.

Also, those chests - Didy, any suggestions as to items we could leave for players to discover as a reward for exploring?

Hello all,

Another update on where we are at with the CTF fundraiser:

The builds on the map are almost complete, just finishing off a few rocks and bits and pieces with the buff towers. If you had a build or planned build on e-dev, you will have been mailed via the forums (so please check). Following on from that we will be doing a bit of map balance checking related to ore numbers and so on.

Once the CTF map has been moved to it’s proper home on Event, we can begin doing all the protections, no-fly zones, easy-signs etc. and hopefully get all the actual CTF plugin stuff up and running.

I have re-done the Event trello and re-named it 'CTF Fundraiser' for those of you who want to keep track of progress, or contribute to discussions (e.g. around types of buffs or gameplay) - I would really love input on anything on the board - especially if you are a PvP orientated person.

We have a full list of people lacking permissions for trello. If you're looking to gain access, just poke a head admin or request permissions here.

One thing still in need of a builder is an initial lobby/spawn point area, which is meant to resemble a space station from which the player is about to ‘beam’ to their new colony.

Details:

• No larger than 120x120.

• Space Station theme.

• A central point from which a player can click a sign to be warped to a random team.

• Fully enclosed i.e. players must not be able to get outside the build or be able to get back in once assigned a team. Windows are fine, if fully glassed.

• Enderpearls will be disabled in this build’s region, so you don’t need to worry about any pearl trickery.

• Something referencing the two team colors (lime and red): perhaps there are armor-stand ‘recruiters’ dressed in team colors, or a docked ship belonging to each colony - anything you can think of.

If you’d like to volunteer to build the lobby area, please let me know in this post, or PM if you prefer.

Recent additions to the map:

robr’s new lego fleet:

3Hpuhzx.png?1

Silver’s Nether Rocks

CEL6Abz.png?1

Zburd’s Village Island

01GsFok.png?1

Thanks to everyone who has helped out so far!

~Didy

I'll take a whack at the initial spawn/lobby build, if that's alright Didy. Silver said you might have had some more thoughts on it, are you wanting a particular style/design or something along those lines?

From Didy's previous post:

One thing still in need of a builder is an initial lobby/spawn point area, which is meant to resemble a space station from which the player is about to ‘beam’ to their new colony.

Details:

• No larger than 120x120.

• Space Station theme.

• A central point from which a player can click a sign to be warped to a random team.

• Fully enclosed i.e. players must not be able to get outside the build or be able to get back in once assigned a team. Windows are fine, if fully glassed.

• Enderpearls will be disabled in this build’s region, so you don’t need to worry about any pearl trickery.

• Something referencing the two team colors (lime and red): perhaps there are armor-stand ‘recruiters’ dressed in team colors, or a docked ship belonging to each colony - anything you can think of.

• Upvote 1

Hey Tharine,

If you'd like to pick up that build that would be amazing!

I don't have anything in particular that isn't mentioned in the post, but I would like to give you a tour of the space map so you get a feel for the current builds before you start anything (if that's alright with you?).

Thanks for offering to help out,

~Didy

Heya, yeah that's fine :) I have started on something (I had the spare time mostly today, so figured I shouldn't waste it) but i'm not bothered if I have to scrap it, I was mostly trying to get a feel of what shapes I could work with. All of the other builds look so nice!

• Upvote 1

I may need to get in touch with torteela at some point about the bit he helped me with in the center buff tower; at the very least it needs some cosmetic re-working and tweaking. Will see about having a look at it tonight.

That was kind of a temporary solution while I work on making an actual sorter for water buckets that would fit in that space. The only ones I could find were pretty big so I'm working on a smaller one. I should be on most of tonight.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Want to put this down somewhere so it's at least mod knowledge - there is one more feature that I have left to complete on the lime spawn ship (the thing I have been asking some of the mods to test - it should be a minor enough detail that it can be finished off in half an hour, an hour at most).  Even with the limited sample size I have so far I know what I would like to do with it if there is very limited time left to work on it, and I am probably agonizing over a detail that will probably be relevant in the first 24 hours of the fundraiser at most - but a larger sample size would be preferable if time and volunteers permit.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess there's still a little left to do, but I made some changes on lime ship:

• Rearranged inheritance so limeshipsecb is child of limeshipseca, and that limeshipseca is not a parent of limebase.
  • Reverted flag changes to limebase so that the flags are identical to those set on redbase (I thought the limebase region was the spawn ship only ><).
  • Added carpet line on the ground in the port corridor.
  • Added flags mob-spawning DENY and chest-access DENY on limeshipseca (these flags are not present on limeshipsecb).
  • This was the thing I was testing earlier, to see whether the ground carpets would be an effective subconscious indicator of the way out compared to having no carpets.  Limited testing suggests that it does do this job compared to no carpets, so to quicken the pace of development I have decided to place carpets on both sides of the vessel.  I anticipate this carpet indicator to only be relevant in the early game; by late game I am guessing players will know the way out by habit.

Still needs testing/additions:

• If approved, need warp signs set up to take players from the spawn room on the top deck to the open bay on the bottom (let me know and I'll point out locations).  If denied, need to remove the warp signs.  
  • Main concern that this was intended to rectify is that, even with knowledge of the exit routes at the start, it still takes a long time to leave the lime ship relative to performing the same task on the red ship.  The warp sign was intended to have players skip part of the walk and leave the ship faster, so that leave times are on par with that of the red ship.  (I lost my numbers on this, so may need to re-time this at some point?)
  • Does touching the red wool on the side faces still deal debuffs to lime team?
  • Does chest-access deny prevent players from opening/using them in gameplay? (can't test myself without someone tp-ing my non-modmode self over to the ship)
  • Will LWC be enabled?  (if yes, then chest-access can be reverted to allow on the spawn ship regions)
  • Droppers in melon farm room are meant to dispense melons in case of shortage - will these be used?  (Not sure if red ship has something similar.)  If yes, need to set up chests and hoppers behind them and ensure WG flags allow button pushing.

Also:

• I tried tp-ing to a modreq (16) made there while in modmode; /tpinfo 16 failed silently and /check 16 notified me that an internal error occurred while attempting to perform the command.
  • Space selection tool is set to wood axe (unsure if intentional? on P it's a wood shovel).
Edited by buzzie71

Thanks buzzie, for sorting out the regions on the lime ship and getting it ready to use (sorry for delay in replying).

Answers to your questions:

• Red ship is pretty immediate to depart from - I see no issue with placing some warp signs to even things out on lime ship. Feel free to add them, and we can see how it goes in testing.
  • I think its only standing on the wool that causes the debuffs, but a tech may want to correct me.
  • We will have LWC enabled afaik, so we can just lock your ship chests that way.
  • Red ship also has basic melon farms set up like lime ship, but there are more of them, so you may want to utilize your hopper idea here.
  • Couple of modreqs left over from dev server - have re-added them properly.
  • Wood axe is default - will need changing to match the mod kit I assume, will add to trello.

~Didy

• I've added modreqs at the two warp signs on the top deck with destination locations contained - the y value is given with a (?) because ideally I want the warp to place the player on the ground if possible, as close as possible if not (I don't remember a good offset to achieve this, other than it's not what I used for my P17 spawn secret).  When setting up warp signs back in the day I found out that setting a warp y-level to that which is given in F3 actually places the player some distance above the ground - which I guess is okay in most cases, but in this one I'd like the player to be warped so that the "EXIT is behind you" sign is squarely in their FOV.  (This depends a little on which direction players are facing when they hit the sign, but I think the provided location will be enough to put that notice in their face - can test this later.)

I've gone ahead and locked all LWC containers that I could find on the lime ship.  For now I'd like to keep chest-access deny on the ship, though if you can pull the data easily, I'm curious to see how many LWC protections I have as well as how many LWC containers exist on the ship.  I count 9 double chests (8 in the top deck storage area, 1 in the mess hall), so there should ideally be a LWC container count (as summed up in a WE distribution count) - LWC protection excess of 9.

I've added hoppers and chests/trapped chests (all LWC locked) behind the droppers and filled them all to (close to) the top with melons - in total there should be 78710 extra melon slices contained inside with the extra slices missing.  A flaw in the design prevents the trapped chest in the center of each of the 10 units from being filled completely; unless a hopper or tech magic is used to force the extra inside, there's going to be one slice less than capacity in them.  I ask that the supply be topped up after testing just to ensure enough melons for the live event - my original intention was to supply enough melons that better food sources will be readily available once the initial supply runs out (and thus replenishing would be unnecessary), but of course more should be supplied in case melons are still in high demand.

My ModMode appears to be messed up in the sense that I'm made visible when I go into it, I am unable to teleport to modreqs while in it or summon a mod kit (/kit mod).  I can still fly and /i items and I get moved from moderator to modmode when I enter modmode in /list and vice versa, and I can still kick myself O.o.

Edited by buzzie71