Survival: The Next Revision

If you launch with 1.9's release, you can "ride the wave" of interest that comes with a new version.  But that would require launching ASAP when 1.9 comes out, which would require being basically done with the revision by then, which would require starting now.

• Upvote 4

You guys are right, we need to get on top of this, more than we are.

Pending a bit of work from barneygale we will be standing up a 1.9 server shortly, allowing us to test out a lot of the changes to armor/kits mentioned in this thread.

Over the next few days ( < 4 )  either myself or Barlimore should be updating this thread with more information. There has been a lot of ideas presented, with some farily common elements between most of them that I think we can get in place. 

If you launch with 1.9's release, you can "ride the wave" of interest that comes with a new version.  But that would require launching ASAP when 1.9 comes out, which would require being basically done with the revision by then, which would require starting now.

Definitely the case. That's what the large servers have been doing for the past few years, ever since the hey0 days.

Then we know we're missing that wave. We do chaos then because missing the wave has been known for years. All the big servers wait for spigot so there's a wave that we'd be roughly part of.

That's not really the case though, even that wave was missed too.

You guys are right, we need to get on top of this, more than we are.

Pending a bit of work from barneygale we will be standing up a 1.9 server shortly, allowing us to test out a lot of the changes to armor/kits mentioned in this thread.

Over the next few days ( < 4 )  either myself or Barlimore should be updating this thread with more information. There has been a lot of ideas presented, with some farily common elements between most of them that I think we can get in place. 

May I join testing?

I've done some snapshots and have identified some things for the admins to be aware of. 

May I join testing?

I've done some snapshots and have identified some things for the admins to be aware of.

We run a public server

Use your words and tell us what you have identified, any information about experience of 1.9 features is something we are interested in

• Upvote 2

I don't see what other big servers do, any you can link to? Surely if they are doing it the way you want then we can learn something from them.

Spiderman said that large servers correspond their resets/launches with Minecraft updates.  I'm not sure what you're asking to be linked to?

A problem that we have had in the past is waiting for plugins to be updated to the new version. Would it be awesome to launch a new PvE Rev the day after 1.8 is released? Sure! But we can't do that without LWC, WorldGaurd, Etc. We have to wait for plugins to be updated as well as update our own. I don't know what other large servers do as I only really play here.

A problem that we have had in the past is waiting for plugins to be updated to the new version. Would it be awesome to launch a new PvE Rev the day after 1.8 is released? Sure! But we can't do that without LWC, WorldGaurd, Etc. We have to wait for plugins to be updated as well as update our own. I don't know what other large servers do as I only really play here.

Other servers write their plugins to only use the bukkit/spigot API, so they're version-independent.  Nerd uses some older plugins that were built against craftbukkit, and only work with the version they were built against.  In some cases this is because the API calls to accomplish some things didn't exist when the plugin was written (or still don't), or because the plugin predates bukkit altogether.

Edited by roastnewt

We run a public server

Use your words and tell us what you have identified, any information about experience of 1.9 features is something we are interested in

Fine.

As you know, end dimension is limited to some kind of island.

In 1.9, the portal to the 2nd end dimension can be demolished and never be put back up again. I don't believe that you can even place the portal block once it has been destroyed.

So you need to make it indestructable!!!

Also the 2nd end dimension is unlimited. You should make it limited. Maybe to the same extent as the nether or so, but it's a 4th world to consider. 

Also ender dragon resets will need to be disabled or something until the playerbase can set up a contained ender dragon grinder. 

You might need to do some editing to make some dungeons for the end. Also make shulkers non-limited. 

• Upvote 1

Fine.

As you know, end dimension is limited to some kind of island.

In 1.9, the portal to the 2nd end dimension can be demolished and never be put back up again. I don't believe that you can even place the portal block once it has been destroyed.

So you need to make it indestructable!!!

Also the 2nd end dimension is unlimited. You should make it limited. Maybe to the same extent as the nether or so, but it's a 4th world to consider. 

Also ender dragon resets will need to be disabled or something until the playerbase can set up a contained ender dragon grinder. 

You might need to do some editing to make some dungeons for the end. Also make shulkers non-limited. 

Um....

There is no second end dimension. Upon killing the dragon, two portals are generated, the return portal and the end gateway portal. both are not generally destructible unless a second end dragon is spawned, which is caused by the game mechanics. Both portals aren't player destructible or through explosions.

The end gateways don't teleport you to a secondary end world. They teleport you a 1500 or so blocks way from the main end island where multiple end islands with end cities and end ships are generated. That way, people with existing worlds won't need to start over.

Ender dragon respawning is only a placeholder; a new method for respawning the dragon will replace this one at some point before 1.9 is released.

Shulkers are indeed limited. :D

Note: parts of this comment are plagiarized from [Minecraft Wiki](http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/)

;D ;D ;D

Edited by SpiderMan
  • Upvote 1

There is no second end dimension. Upon killing the dragon, two portals are generated, the return portal and the end gateway portal. both are not generally destructible unless a second end dragon is spawned, which is caused by the game mechanics. Both portals aren't player destructible or through explosions.

The end gateways don't teleport you to a secondary end world. They teleport you a 1500 or so blocks way from the main end island where multiple end islands with end cities and end ships are generated. That way, people with existing worlds won't need to start over.

Heh. I've managed to break the portal block. Also I havent found the main island through the portal. But then again, snapshots must have updated. 

Edited by Forever_A_Steve

The 1.9 sandbox has been created, and a number of plans from this thread appear to be impacted. We will give it some time for authors to modify their plans as required.

Each proposal has been condensed into a number of bullet points, and each are being considered along with parts of other plans for the future server plan

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Survival will come back if you hit up monrozabaleta, shanty_sniper, IDANUB, TheKingDuff, kyle_yardley, gaambo, Alissa_S, Isaiah_S, Emery, Gsand, unce, Randomdoor, BCB, istorm9, lazee boy, djt, tornadohorse, malvagio, dickflyr, Tharine, beastbruiser, nyislanders123, BraydenH, Ozomahtill, Mrgauthier, Smdavis, Gizzletinks, Avadakedavra, Maltom, nickeynickey123, Pootersaurus, drjohn123, ScaryBilbo, Abiuv, Forzaire, and Solarus, Moderwarfare483, lawjik, the_spammasaur, buchanman, uni0, Archiuz, nos_pumas,pokegeek1234, bhrossman, brianherman, joshuaherman, Texastormenture,whiteturbo, natdog, plomdawg, richedd, dizney07, dementedm0nkey, dando, casey1975 and the beloved pkome. All these players have made Survival for me personally a great experience, although they have probably grown out or are now adults.  Tell them if they want to relive old survival nostalgia. *

DISCLAIMER*: Most of the people I have listed are banned; so give them another chance pl0x. 

Edited by JKayani
  • Upvote 2

Survival will come back if you hit up monrozabaleta, shanty_sniper, IDANUB, TheKingDuff, kyle_yardley, gaambo, Alissa_S, Isaiah_S, Emery, Gsand, unce, Randomdoor, BCB, istorm9, lazee boy, djt, tornadohorse, malvagio, dickflyr, Tharine, beastbruiser, nyislanders123, BraydenH, Ozomahtill, Mrgauthier, Smdavis, Gizzletinks, Avadakedavra, Maltom, nickeynickey123, Pootersaurus, drjohn123, ScaryBilbo, Abiuv, Forzaire, and Solarus, Moderwarfare483, lawjik, the_spammasaur, buchanman, uni0, Archiuz, nos_pumas,pokegeek1234, bhrossman, brianherman, joshuaherman, Texastormenture,whiteturbo, natdog, plomdawg, richedd, dizney07, dementedm0nkey, dando, casey1975 and the beloved pkome. All these players have made Survival for me personally a great experience, although they have probably grown out or are now adults.  Tell them if they want to relive old survival nostalgia. *

DISCLAIMER*: Most of the people I have listed are banned; so give them another chance pl0x. 

<3

A mass ban amnesty has been brought up a couple times by Mumberthrax. I really think its a good idea, especially for S. 

• Upvote 2

<3

A mass ban amnesty has been brought up a couple times by Mumberthrax. I really think its a good idea, especially for S. 

I agree with this. S would get a kickstart of the crazy people that it used to be home to, and I think that would go a long way. 

Mass ban amnesty has happened, we removed 80k+ bans from the nerd.nu lists.

If you were not a part of those ban removals then your ban was considered fairly recent. It has been suggested and warmly accepted that we need to review the new survival ban process, and be less stringent than the current process of instantly banning for most rule breaking. However this does not impact past bans, if you have been banned then simply appeal it like everyone else has to.

• Upvote 1

Mass ban amnesty has happened, we removed 80k+ bans from the nerd.nu lists.

If you were not a part of those ban removals then your ban was considered fairly recent. It has been suggested and warmly accepted that we need to review the new survival ban process, and be less stringent than the current process of instantly banning for most rule breaking. However this does not impact past bans, if you have been banned then simply appeal it like everyone else has to.

Oh, I was unaware of that. Thanks for the news c45y! I guess you miss a few things when you arent really around anymore :P