[PMC] Land Claim & Perms Clarification

WyndySascha

tl;dr pre-region, within land claim and reserved plot build raised several questions

Hello Everyone,

Something's cropped up in Ambrosia that overlaps several policies; I didn't just want to make a modreq until I'd gotten some opinions or rulings.

---

We currently don't have our region established - it's on my to-do list for the next few days, so we could have some builds in place first.

Ambrosia did its big start-of-rev land claim, all properly marked up with fences and signs.

There were also a small number of plot reservations within that claim - one was reserved right next to the portal and was/is destined to be the primary surface entrance to a huge cave system that's being substantially remodelled into 'Underbrosia'.  That plot reservation was (after a bit of accidental building-on) cordoned-off with two-high fences and signed - it would be pretty difficult to mistake its 'reserved' state.

On Saturday just gone (5 Sept), a user built on this reserved plot - specifically, built a perfect replica of a naturally-generated village's blacksmith's house.  They broke down a hole in the plot fence to allow access.  I'm afraid I wasn't on to see what happened, and no-one else in Ambrosia seems to know any more than I do.  This user isn't an 'Ambrosian regular'.

I was hoping to have this build removed.  I /mail'd the user; they replied asking to join Ambrosia; I said Sure, but they'd have to remove the build first.  I've had no reply to this.  The build is still there; the user hasn't logged-on since Saturday.

---

If I have the 'ambrosia' region created, it will have to encompass this build (it's right in the centre of town).  I will either:

• have to add the user as a region member (or leave him added, if he's added by default at region creation) - I'm not keen to have the user as a region member
  • leave the user un-added (or remove him, if he's added by default at region creation) - this would, as I understand it, effectively alienate him from his build

... I don't feel either's a particarly good choice, and I'm not confident the build will be removed before I want to create the region.

---

Is the plot reservation enforcable by staff action?

Does this build come under the new guidelines for P land claims, seeing as it is within Ambrosia's claim?

This may be theoretical, but I think it's relevant here: if (if, this is conjecture) the user came through the Ambrosia portal within the land claim - so, without crossing the claim border and without seeing any signs - can the requirement to respect land claims be said to exist?  They might not have the forewarning that's in the spirit of the land claim policy.

Have I met the standard for 'fair warning' of the user if the build can be removed?

Can one consider a reproduction of a natural blacksmith's house to be a 'substantial build', or is it more akin to a cobble box?

---

As always, looking for the solution that causes least aggro, is most in keeping with rules and policies, and isn't unnecessarily punitive.

Thanks in advance,

~Sasch

The purpose of the land claim policy is to give users the reasonable expectation that they will have the space needed to complete their builds without outside disruption. Entering the claimed area via portal does throw an extra layer of complexity to the situation, however if the player has been messaged informing them they are inside a claimed area I would consider that fair warning.

As to them building inside your claimed area, if you have spoken to them and they are unwilling to remove their build we (admins) can step in and either remove or relocate their build provided all of the land claiming criteria are met. The first step would be to try to make contact, but if they do not respond to admins either then we have the option to take that action.

In regards to adding them to your town, that is entirely up to town mayors who is part of their build.

I hope that clarifies things? If not let me know and I can try again :)

• Upvote 1

Oh also one other thing. You can request a chest region be added at /warp chestregions if you do not have anything that can be protected yet. Essentially this would allow for you to add region perms to chests. You can also have portions of your builds protected as you go, and have it expanded to include new things - you do not need to wait until the entire area is protectable to have this done.

• Upvote 1

Thanks silver!  Couple of things:

We already know about the chest regions, we currently use that feature.

Is it right to consider adding them to the town as purely a mayor's decision in this case?  As I say, if I don't then they'll lose access to the build (although, seeing as how we're hoping for it to be gone, I suppose it's not relevant in the long-term).

I'll submit a modreq that the build be moved/removed.

Thanks Again,

~Sasch