Rule Proposal: Continuous BUD switch activation should require user presence. Like the Clock rule.

MasterCommaThe

In the C redstone area I recently noted that this melon tower was cycling two rows of its pistons continuously (about once every 15 seconds). After noticing that I went in search of the potential clock to make sure it is left in an off state but found none. Instead I found a BUD switch, which ideally only triggers when a block updates, however with melon growth disabled in this area I'm rather mystified as to how it is continuously being triggered. While my technical understanding of the phenomenon is lacking, I do understand that it is continuously cycling pistons, a cause of some lag, which our "no continuous clocks" rule seeks to address. 

I would like to suggest that, that the rule be expanded (at least on C) to include that continuously active BUD switches must have an off switch and be left disabled when users are not present.

You can observe the phenomena by tp'ing to modreq 1332 (as it only occurs in this specific area of the redstone device). Otherwise you can view triggered and untriggered states in the images below.

Whole melon tower view Untriggered:

WMIYiIhl.jpgWhole melon tower view partially triggered:7aHYmYVl.jpg

BUD switch view triggered:3WkwoWEl.pngBUD switch view untriggered:qgNXh4ql.png

• Upvote 1

Oh hey you found my farm... >.>

Adding a permanent on/off switch to that type of design should be easy enough, but actually for that specific one it shouldn't even be on, seems through some quirk of WE a few rows got replanted.

I would support such a rule for C, no real need for such things to be always active. P I'd be a bit hesitant of but I'll probably add an on/off switch to my farms anyhow.

for that specific one it shouldn't even be on, seems through some quirk of WE a few rows got replanted.

Oh thank god! Working out the wonders of redstone is the kind of thing that stays on my mind when I'm trying to fall asleep at night, and I just couldn't figure this one out. #therealproblem

I would support such a rule for C, no real need for such things to be always active. P I'd be a bit hesitant of but I'll probably add an on/off switch to my farms anyhow.

My focus and experience is mostly on C so I would greatly value if P focused mods/admins weigh in their opinion on whether this rule would be a good fit for both servers.

We could set a hard limit on the number of pistons that a device can be allowed to simultaneously activate in the rules, then only cite and enforce the rule when lag becomes a problem in an area. However, I don't feel like such a strict rule would be well received.

Hi MasterCommaThe,

Thanks for expressing your concern over this. As someone who doesn't know much about complicated redstone - I'm glad you pointed this out to me.

I agree that such things shouldn't be "running" constantly. I believe these contraptions can fall under the rule of no continuous running redstone circuits.

Not necessarily a piston fire limitation, but would personally like to see a rule on P, where budswitch towers are required to have an on/off switch. When rev goes further out, they keep firing even when chests are full and the produce goes nowhere.

Guest Former Staff

I'm not finding that on our wiki rules page. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

MasterCommaThe, the wiki will need to be updated. I will have it added.

Seems to have been an unofficial rule on creative for some time, I've added in a line into the creative section for now, just shout if you would like the wording changed.

In order to reduce lag, we request that redstone circuits are not on an infinite loop.

Guest Former Staff

Wording looks good. I assume it is also then in our starting rule book.

I haven't edited the rule book - Will leave that to the creative admins to change as they wish.