1.9 server

barneygale

When minecraft 1.9 drops, is nerd planning to run vanilla 1.9 server?

For what it's worth I've been working on a proxy that sits in front of a 1.9 server and can do a pretty limited subset of things that spigot can. It's advantage over spigot is that it will work the moment 1.9 drops.

Things it can do:

- Block logging

- MCBouncer stuffz

- Trade signs + similar

- Mail

- Homes

- Modreq

- Primitive chest locking (/lock turns your chest into bedrock!)

- Anything else achievable by dropping/modifying/forging packets and typing into the server console.

Things it can't do:

- Block rollbacks (without some serious effort)

- Block proteciton (unless you want to lock your house by turning it into a massive bedrock cuboid)

- Fluid freezing

I was thinking it might be fun to run a survival-y or pve-y 1.9 server so people can have fun with the 1.9 mechanics. It would also be pretty unique amongst minecraft servers to have a 1.9 server with a few non-vanilla features. I think this would be a separate thing from the normal survival (rip) and pve servers. What do you think?

Edited by barneygale

I'm pretty open to collaborating with any nerd staffer who fancies planning a one-off 1.9 server. The post wasn't intended at head/tech admins specifically, though the tech admins would need to be involved to some degree and are of course more than welcome to hack away at the code

When minecraft 1.9 drops, is nerd planning to run vanilla 1.9 server?

We are working to release a sandbox 1.9 server either today or tomorrow (my timezone) for people to use for testing. This is part of the preparation for a new revision of our PvP server.

As per our discussions on IRC I am extremely interested in the ideas you have proposed, as well as the technology, the two biggest things I would absolutely love from your project once it is available is mcbouncer integration, and a world border. The current plan to release a sandbox for testing with frequent resets is largely due to extreme exploration and unsustainable expansion of the map because of it.

you're more than welcome to use it for a testing server as well

is map size an issue now vanilla has world borders?

Holy shit I had no idea that was in vanilla now. In that case, nevermind! mcbouncer integration would still be great though