You guys suck at modding

cmdrtebok

Someone lured my horse from wandering around into a cave then dug all the way down a 2x2 pit then pillared up to the surface.

I found my horse with hgps. It took my 20 minutes to dig this thing out. The tunnel when I got to it was sealed and I don't remember where the exact blocks were. A horse TP would have saved my mornings worth of Minecraft time. 

The level of density exhibited in my interaction with the mod was unbelievable. After I realized they had no intention of helping I asked them to forget it. They then pestered me with questions and reminding me to fix a 1 block break I did on a road when I was digging out of the pit. I was in the middle of digging my horse out. These were closed with a "No way to tell if malicious" OK thanks for nothing. You could have just ended that entire action with a "nothing I can do" instead of pestering me several times about a 1 block break on the surface while I was annoyed. 

This is just one interaction, almost every time something happens that isn't related to a robotic worldguard task you guys suck at it, completely unwilling to help and make the game better for people while relying on the rules of non interference with obvious trolls and disruptions. Seriously this happens pretty often. 

And what the hell was with that meeting. What is the point of bring up your tiny nuances to room for 45 people about fences underground. Who cares. Why are you guys so strict? Why did we have to refrain from taking about an exact incident. That whole conversation gave me PTSD from being an admin here. 

Anyway I'm done for now I guess I got Minecraft out of my system again for a while but seriously no wonder Survival closed forever, you guys have to shake this up a bit or close the doors. 

Edit: Preemptive I don't care about what Tobylane thinks about this. 

Edited by cmdrtebok
  • Upvote 4

I'm sorry you feel this way from the interaction. Your modreq was asking about if your horse was buried with intent underground. I asked you to show me where the horse had been "buried" to determine the block logs. At the location there was only evidence of the hole being dug but no immediate blocks straight above the location where you said the horse had been. Be assured, I was keen on helping you, but you decided early on to tell me to "forget it" for whatever reason when I was still trying to determine what blocks had been placed and where. From your own words you say your horse had been wandering freely and there was two natural cave entrances to said shaft, it's very likely that the horse might have wandered in on their own. You didn't give me the chance to investigate it much before you told me to "fuck off" after you for some reason got the impression that I wasn't there to actually help you.

Wow, if I'd known we could've done this it would've saved so much time on the majority of forum threads.

I can be passive-aggressive too. But there's too much joy in the world for that,

edit: Well, I can't be seen being productive so I'll edit an old post. I hate rule lawyering and when possible I push for the rules to stay as vague as the staff want, for the mods to keep the power of discretion. The one time I remember not being happy with a moderator's decision I took it as the price to pay for an otherwise extremely well run server. I can't expect a variety of personalities and timezones in players and staff without accepting the possibility that they reach a decision I wouldn't.

Edited by tobylane

Why are you guys so strict?

To this point, the answer is simple: rules lawyers. If there were no players who attempt to bend rules or constantly cry foul at the slightest hint of subjectivity from mods judging how to handle issues on a case-by-case basis, and if there were no players who attempt to game the system by finding loopholes or dancing on the edge of the rules to troll other players, there would be no need for the rules to be made as rigid as they are. Such players do exist, however, so the rules have to be worded and enforced as strictly as possible as a result.

• Upvote 2

Cmdrtbok in this case a horse tp probably could have happened. Unfortunately mods cannot do this and you would have needed to wait for an admin to fill the request, but it never got that far. Rather than ask for it to be elevated to an admin or wait for one to be online to speak to the logs show you getting extremely rude which honestly is not going to get you anywhere.

If you have a problem with how things are handled you should know to contact one of us or a head. Going off in the forums will not get you anywhere. This has nothing to do with being strict. Unfortunately we are not online at all hours of the day to fill admin reqs the second they come in.

• Upvote 3

This has nothing to do with being strict

I think by "strict," cmdrtebok is saying that something as simple as a horse tp requires a player to navigate a bureaucracy.. i.e., modreq, conversation with mod, an investigation, logblock check, elevation to admin, wait until an admin comes online, admin investigation.  If there were less red-tape, a mod could just use their common sense and then tp the horse out.  Debating the finer points of underground fences is another example of unnecessary strictness/bureaucracy for a lego game.

• Upvote 3

I think by "strict," cmdrtebok is saying that something as simple as a horse tp requires a player to navigate a bureaucracy.. i.e., modreq, conversation with mod, an investigation, logblock check, elevation to admin, wait until an admin comes online, admin investigation. If there were less red-tape, a mod could just use their common sense and then tp the horse out. Debating the finer points of underground fences is another example of unnecessary strictness/bureaucracy for a lego game.

It doesn't really necessitate that much red tape to fix, more to find out who did it so we know who to talk to. otherwise we'd be constantly pulling horses out for people. Even just since I've been on staff things have been loosening up, but posts like this do nothing to further that cause.

• Upvote 1

I think by "strict," cmdrtebok is saying that something as simple as a horse tp requires a player to navigate a bureaucracy.. i.e., modreq, conversation with mod, an investigation, logblock check, elevation to admin, wait until an admin comes online, admin investigation.  If there were less red-tape, a mod could just use their common sense and then tp the horse out.  Debating the finer points of underground fences is another example of unnecessary strictness/bureaucracy for a lego game.

You're now commenting on a situation you don't fully know about. At the time when I took the modreq he had already started to dig the horse out, was halfway up. The modreq indicated that someone had done something out of malice and as such it required to investigate whether that was plausible or not and if actions had to be taken. If the horse had still been down I could've elevated the modreq for admins for a TP out. So as such I was investigating if the user in question had done anything wrong or not, not about TPing a horse out.

I'm not commenting on your specific situation, I'm commenting about the abstract issue of "strictness."  It seems that the point of this thread was to have that abstract conversation.

As far as that go, being able to TP horses out as a mod would be great, but I guess that comes down to if it's possible to give that ability to mods and if padmins want to do that or not. But in general if something is because of the environment factor in the game, we do not help out. It's the E in PVE.

Mod powers are limited and tasks like that are up to admins. 

But you also gotta know that logs only go back so far. Like if grief happened so long ago, they really can't see who did it. (Like what happened with my farm)

Being rude about it kinda makes their moderation jobs shittier for them. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry you feel this way from the interaction. Your modreq was asking about if your horse was buried with intent underground. I asked you to show me where the horse had been "buried" to determine the block logs. At the location there was only evidence of the hole being dug but no immediate blocks straight above the location where you said the horse had been. Be assured, I was keen on helping you, but you decided early on to tell me to "forget it" for whatever reason when I was still trying to determine what blocks had been placed and where. From your own words you say your horse had been wandering freely and there was two natural cave entrances to said shaft, it's very likely that the horse might have wandered in on their own. You didn't give me the chance to investigate it much before you told me to "fuck off" after you for some reason got the impression that I wasn't there to actually help you.

I'm sorry you feel this way from the interaction....

EFCsKKQ.png

From your own words you say your horse had been wandering freely and there was two natural cave entrances to said shaft, it's very likely that the horse might have wandered in on their own.

Entity activation range on PvE is pretty low. The minecraft mob AI doesn't allow much movement once the horse has been activated. It was definitely pushed there.

You didn't give me the chance to investigate it much before you told me to "fuck off" after you for some reason got the impression that I wasn't there to actually help you.

How long does it usually take to investigate these things?

I found my horse with hgps. It took my 20 minutes to dig this thing out. The tunnel when I got to it was sealed and I don't remember where the exact blocks were. A horse TP would have saved my mornings worth of Minecraft time.

The level of density exhibited in my interaction with the mod was unbelievable. After I realized they had no intention of helping I asked them to forget it. They then pestered me with questions and reminding me to fix a 1 block break I did on a road when I was digging out of the pit. I was in the middle of digging my horse out. These were closed with a "No way to tell if malicious" OK thanks for nothing. You could have just ended that entire action with a "nothing I can do" instead of pestering me several times about a 1 block break on the surface while I was annoyed.

To this point, the answer is simple: rules lawyers. If there were no players who attempt to bend rules or constantly cry foul at the slightest hint of subjectivity from mods judging how to handle issues on a case-by-case basis, and if there were no players who attempt to game the system by finding loopholes or dancing on the edge of the rules to troll other players, there would be no need for the rules to be made as rigid as they are. Such players do exist, however, so the rules have to be worded and enforced as strictly as possible as a result.

Treating every case as the worst case scenario causes threads like this. It's one of the reasons that caused survival to die.

Edited by SpiderMan
  • Upvote 2