Rev 17 is coming. We need to discuss portals

Forever_A_Steve

I have an idea! How about ONE HIDDEN PORTAL. Put it in a cave somewhere and have it be like finding an end portal. This way towns aren't all fighting over portals. I think if we do it like this we could have some really neat transportation designs, and not have to worry about waiting hours to take the zodiac things. The zodiac portals were cancer, or at least one was.

Edited by unce

I really like the idea of 4 non-cardinal portals. It would encourage serious infrastructure on the map to criss cross the world. I think purchases through rare mats could work too with only the first few winners getting a portal. This would make it easier for large collabs to score a portal and encourage them to build more.

• Upvote 1

What about something like this: rev 7 or 8, when jungle trees first were released, there was an event to earn a jungle sapling. Why not do something similar for portals? No portals for the first week, but have an event after a week to earn them, and they can be placed anywhere (with a set minimum distance between them). No solution would be perfect, but this could be an option.

• Upvote 1

What about something like this: rev 7 or 8, when jungle trees first were released, there was an event to earn a jungle sapling. Why not do something similar for portals? No portals for the first week, but have an event after a week to earn them, and they can be placed anywhere (with a set minimum distance between them). No solution would be perfect, but this could be an option.

I like this idea as long as the challenge is something that individuals and small towns can have a fair chance at.

• Upvote 1

I like this idea as long as the challenge is something that individuals and small towns can have a fair chance at.

Yeah, the one I referenced (for the jungle sapling) was a treasure hunt / obstacle course. We follow clues to a giant jungle tree, and raced to the top. It would be best to say first four players (limit one per town) who make it to the goal get a portal

For that jungle tree competition - someone from Wellspring took part but didn't get one. Somewhere nearby, probably Darco (brom), gave us a sapling they had generated and we spent some time in the dug out hole for the village hall trying to grow our own excess saplings with little success. Portals are a bit different. I'd like to see some requirement put on portal owners, say that within a month they have to have started on a rail station near the portal. It can be underground, or even further away with a rail line to near the portal.

Looks like it went back to normal now

I just saw that. I like how the staff just decided to toss out all of our civil discussions, feedback, and support out the window like it was NOTHING to change their minds on a whim and disregard everyone involved. 

Change it back.

I just saw that. I like how the staff just decided to toss out all of our civil discussions, feedback, and support out the window like it was NOTHING to change their minds on a whim and disregard everyone involved.

Change it back.

First off, we took all comments into consideration - yours is not the only one on the server. No matter what we do someone will be unhappy with it, we don't just go changing things on a whim.

Second, the only real thing that has changed is that you will know where the portals are up front. We are still deciding the placement of them and they will not be lit for a week. This is more of a clarification than a change.

• Upvote 1

Well... it kind of is a change since it undermines the purpose of not revealing the portals right away, which is to encourage builders to settle wherever they like and not be subject to portal rushing.

Having said that, I think that as long as locations of portals are pre-determined, it's not the best idea to do a late reveal anyway. That would work better with another approach, like using a contest or "portal purchase" system as some have suggested, so that players have the opportunity to get their ideal build location and put a portal there. Such a system could have conditions attached, such as the location must be at minimum X difference from spawn and Y distance from the nearest other portal.

Things to think about for next rev.

• Upvote 1

I think the current suggested methods only do well to serve varied geographic areas and do not do well to serve portals to the highest trafficed areas of the map (i.e. high population or high build quality or useful resources/farms). I have two alternative suggestions:

1. Have "portal contests". No portals to begin. Every 2-3 weeks there will be a contest where people post their city's merits/pictures on the forums, a poll of the competitors is then voted on, and the winner gets a portal.

2.a. No portals to begin. Establish a forum topic where cities/communities/people can request a Portal and state the merits of why they deserve one. A build receiving X number (20?) of upvotes would then automatically be assigned a portal. 

2.b. No portals to begin. Establish a forum topic where cities/communities/people can request a Portal and state the merits of why they deserve one. Admins use their discretion on when a city is well enough established to get a portal. This method has worked for Creative Warps since forever.

These methods would ensure large population cities, and well motivated builders of any size city (large population doesn't matter if no one votes) are represented and given a chance. 

I think the current suggested methods only do well to serve varied geographic areas and do not do well to serve portals to the highest trafficed areas of the map (i.e. high population or high build quality or useful resources/farms). I have two alternative suggestions:

1. Have "portal contests". No portals to begin. Every 2-3 weeks there will be a contest where people post their city's merits/pictures on the forums, a poll of the competitors is then voted on, and the winner gets a portal.

2.a. No portals to begin. Establish a forum topic where cities/communities/people can request a Portal and state the merits of why they deserve one. A build receiving X number (20?) of upvotes would then automatically be assigned a portal. 

2.b. No portals to begin. Establish a forum topic where cities/communities/people can request a Portal and state the merits of why they deserve one. Admins use their discretion on when a city is well enough established to get a portal. This method has worked for Creative Warps since forever.

These methods would ensure large population cities, and well motivated builders of any size city (large population doesn't matter if no one votes) are represented and given a chance. 

These all make assumptions that the entire community uses the forums, which obviously isn't the case. Therefor all of these suggestions would be skewed in terms of involvement.

• Upvote 2