Enable crafting of inert TNT (repost from uservoice)

Mumberthrax

TNT is a fun decorative block. Once upon a time I had a mine i wanted to snazz up with decorative TNT but because it was banned, I could not.

#1. It doesn't have to explode. It doesn't have to react to redstone. It just would be a plain block with the TNT texture.

OR

#2. Allow the TNT to explode visually/audibly, but do not damage to blocks or entities and cause no movement of entities.

OR

#3. Allow the TNT to explode visually/audibly, but do no damage to blocks or entities - AND allow it to shove entities a way a bit, so you could have aesthetic TNT cannons for those inter-city play-dramas.

OR

#4. Allow the TNT to explode but do not damage to blocks or players - but permit damage to hostile mobs.

OR

#5. Allow TNT to explode, doing damage to blocks but not entities/players - only inside a region where the region owner has modreq'd for explosions to be activated.

OR

#6. Allow TNT to behave as it does in vanilla minecraft - but only in PVP-enabled regions where the region owner has explicitly modreq'd full TNT availability.

Edit: OR

#7. Allow TNT to work as in vanilla minecraft - but only below sea level (like y50 or something) and only outside of protected regions. Use as a griefing tool would be treated like we treat any other grief. See "grief prevention" plugin for an example of this as a default config option. (this is not my favorite of the options, but it would enable convenient use of TNT with minimal moderator involvement for mining and such)

Edit2: OR

#8. Permit TNT to explode visibly/audibly, do damage to and shove entities, but not damage blocks. Allow this in PvP enabled regions only.

Edit3: added numbers for convenience

Edited by Mumberthrax

The last time we visited this issue the PAdmins were quite receptive to the idea. I believe it was smiler who was working on a way to disable TNT exploding but was unable to deal with an edge case with Redstone before leaving. If the plugin was complete or another avenue was found I'm sure we'd be happy to revisit the topic.

• Upvote 1

So I was able to set up a test server with worldguard installed to produce an effect like example #8 by setting the "tnt" flag or "other-explosion" flag to deny. I'm uncertain what nerd/P currently uses to deny tnt explosions - if anything other than preventing their crafting.

A little bit of internet searching brought up these plugins:

Problem is that the player damage and explosion plugins are out of date enough that they don't function (i tested, the allow-damage flag works, but deny-damage doesn't show up in the flag list, nor does deny-explosions) . Good news: they're under GPL and source is available.

I don't know how challenging it is to update the plugins for 1.8. This doesn't seem to be an overly complicated plugin so maybe it would be possible.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...