PvE Rev 12 Terrain

Denevien

Terrain Style  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What terrain style would you like to see?

• Pure Vanilla (Gives the option to expand, slightly bland terrain)
    • Vanilla Gen w/ some customized areas (Gives option to expand, still some interesting sights)
    • World Painter/ Terrain Control Gen (Like current set up, Awesome look, hard to expand)
    • World Painter/ Terrain Control Gen'd larger than boarder (Option to expand, expanded area will be more terrain control area, harder to terraform new area)

"larger than boarder" doesn't make any sense to me. Do you mean "larger than border", as in you'll generate more terrain than we can use?

The map has been expanded in the past when it became pretty full. It's not possible this rev due to the way the terrain was generated, but it could be possible for next rev.

I would like to put forward a different option (unless im interpreting the poll wrong). I think having a world painted circlular area in the middle, like the current revision, and in the outer area, have a vanilla terrian that can be expanded without falter, instead of a TC terrian.

Now I realise I'm taking a shot in the dark, I don't know how worldpainting works, but this will offer the amazing terrian we have already, and an option to expand if needed

• Upvote 5

Also, I want to throw in large biomes as a vanilla gen option. Vanilla generation just doesn't seem right anymore without it to me. (also just world paint and just TC could be options for posterity)

I actually very much enjoyed revision 8 for this reason(it was world painted to create massive biomes of a single type as the option wasn't around then). Made the map much more consistent and a lot more immersive However, I guess you could also argue that it's sometimes nice to have several different biomes located near one location.

• Upvote 4

I'd personally like vanilla terrain with increased ores, well... all over the map.  TC is cool but, like world painter, most of the stuff doesn't get used, everyone just wants an area they can terraform to their own uses.  At least with 1.6 we won't have deserts spotted with lakes anymore.  Also with worldpainter, the world is skin deep, I'm used to 2-4 layers of dirt before I hit stone, not 1 layer.... everywhere =D  I had to dig around underground and MINE dirt to fill in the areas I needed for my project lol.

Maybe instead of total vanilla, we can use TC more to expand the vanilla-ish biomes up to higher heights, but not the sloping stuff of world painter.  Also I know its a nostolgia favorite, but I've kind of gotten sick of floating islands, I'd rather have more impressive mountains with alcoves and above ground caves we can build into than just LOL floating stuff.

I wasn't around then, but looking at old cartos rev 8 really stands out to me. It's obviously custom, but it flows really well together and looks like a real-life landscape for the most part. It's not so jaw-dropping that you don't want to destroy it's natural beauty, but it's not boring and repetitive like vanilla either.

The best word I can think of to describe the look of it is 'subtle'. And I think that's a very, very good thing.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't around then, but looking at old cartos rev 8 really stands out to me. It's obviously custom, but it flows really well together and looks like a real-life landscape for the most part. It's not so jaw-dropping that you don't want to destroy it's natural beauty, but it's not boring and repetitive like vanilla either.

The best word I can think of to describe the look of it is 'subtle'. And I think that's a very, very good thing.

Rev 8 was world painted, and the only downside is, that "beauty" was only a block or two deep...

I personally prefer a primarily world-painted world, in part because it differs from the regular Minecraft experience and because I get to appreciate someone else's large-scale creative work.  Of course, we should also have TC/vanilla regions present for those who prefer that style.

As for specific features in the next rev, I think savannas would look really cool.  They could be built like plains biomes with custom savanna-style trees, but the actual biome could be desert in order to give them the look of a relatively hot, dry environment.

A crazy idea: you start with a spawn at (0, 0), with boundaries of (-2000, -2000) to (2000, 2000). After three months you move the spawn to (0, 4000), with new boundaries stretching from (-2000, -2000) to (2000, 6000). And then repeat, moving the spawn point and moving the boundaries.

So every 3 months you'll get a massive chunk of new terrain, new players will spawn right in the middle of it, but the older cities and structures will always be there, sitting casually to one side, waiting to be explored..

Too crazy?

Edited by sbrandwoo
  • Upvote 3

This is my first rev, and I really like the terrain.  I understand though how it's not feasible to expand, and so I guess there has to be compromise there.  I just thought I'd throw in that extensive waterways are a must for me.  I consider this rev's waterways to be extensive, to give an idea, and I'd love to see next rev have the same potential for boat travel.  

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly, large amounts of terraforming that come with World Painted maps is a bonus to the players of PvE because they will be granted a larger amount of materials as opposed to Vanilla which is quite flat in comparison.

Also, the slightly more immersiveness that is apparent on PvE would benefit greatly from a larger variety of biomes and locations, such as, but definitely not limited to:

Tropical (volcanic)

Plateaus

Canyons

Lakes

Savannahs (Pinko_Eric's idea)

Extreme Mountains

thicker, larger Forests

Valleys

Fjords

hell, put a damn Glacier in there.

Etc.

Interesting terrain will force players to get as creative as possible, and the newer and interesting regions may even inspire other to do something different.

Hope I could've been of help,

-Magnyus