PvE Rev 12 Terrain

Denevien

Terrain Style  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What terrain style would you like to see?

• Pure Vanilla (Gives the option to expand, slightly bland terrain)
    • Vanilla Gen w/ some customized areas (Gives option to expand, still some interesting sights)
    • World Painter/ Terrain Control Gen (Like current set up, Awesome look, hard to expand)
    • World Painter/ Terrain Control Gen'd larger than boarder (Option to expand, expanded area will be more terrain control area, harder to terraform new area)

Another possibility: Portals randomly placed between 1000 and 1400 out, border at 1500. Or 1200, 1800 and 2000 respectively. Quickly, as in as soon after the tps and population stabilise (two weeks?) expand.

When portals are randomly placed there are some parts of the map that are so far away from every single portal that it's a bit annoying for towns that settle there, this rev for example was almost no portal in the south

So I think it'd be better to make them at the fixed locations like they used to be

• Upvote 1

I've loved the hell out the area Feliks90 and I settled this rev. Underground rivers running through massive cavern systems, towering mountains... I've never played a map quite like it.

The only issues with the world gen in this region (eastern mountains) seem to be the levels at which we find ores. Diamonds simply weren't appearing where they normally would, sometimes appearing anywhere between Y25 to Y30 but not below. This seemed to be localised to the most radically altered areas around the borders. Two sea levels, one at 64 and another at 90, was something that took getting used to but we're making good use of it for some unique developments.

The eastern mountains weren't overpopulated, leading me to believe that fans of this kind of terrain may be a minority. However I'd gladly settle the same type of landscape again. Underground grass hills are wonderful :D

• Upvote 1

Clay.

It's going to be the most popular block and if it isn't addressed, everyone will complain about it from day one.

A custom mesa biome (http://i.imgur.com/BbjsqtM.jpg) would be cool with hardened clay above ground and unsmelted clay underground.

That or extra clay plumping in the oceans. 

Image from: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/1d3yqc/i_wanted_to_see_how_hard_clay_looked_in_terrain/c9morcp

Edit: speeling.

Addendum: I agree with Ozomahtlii's suggestion of the corner portals being in fixed, uniform distances away from Spawn, in a way, that helps validate having the other secret portals be off in cool terrain that's wayyy further aways from the centre of the map.

Edited by ne0codex
  • Upvote 3

Also, I want to throw in large biomes as a vanilla gen option. Vanilla generation just doesn't seem right anymore without it to me. (also just world paint and just TC could be options for posterity)

I actually very much enjoyed revision 8 for this reason(it was world painted to create massive biomes of a single type as the option wasn't around then). Made the map much more consistent and a lot more immersive However, I guess you could also argue that it's sometimes nice to have several different biomes located near one location.

I actually really liked this idea, I think it'd be cool if there were just massive areas of each biome, and only one of them. that way there would be inter-city trade for things like sand or jungle saplings that you couldn't get in some cities.

it'd be kinda cool if the map was divided into slices of different biomes but that would definately be unnatural looking, and may not be everyones favorite.

Clay.

It's going to be the most popular block and if it isn't addressed, everyone will complain about it from day one.

A custom mesa biome (http://i.imgur.com/BbjsqtM.jpg) would be cool with hardened clay above ground and unsmelted clay underground.

That or extra clay plumping in the oceans.

This was recently featured in a custom biomes post on reddit, and makes a wonderful approximation for badlands striation.

• Upvote 1

I kind of like the random portal distribution the way it is, so I'm not a huge fan of changing it.

One thing that might be interesting is if we end up expanding the map later on, that a few new portals could be placed in the frontier to search for. It would hopefully recreate that new rev feel and get people exploring more in those areas. I also think it'd encourage new towns to pop up and claim those portals, giving them a chance to grow after all the start of rev portals are claimed by the larger towns.

• Upvote 3

Random's idea is actually very interesting. The reason why the inner area is so packed is people want to be close to the portals. If we have portals out further after an expansion, it gives people more options to get around easily without being close to spawn.

I kind of like the random portal distribution the way it is, so I'm not a huge fan of changing it.

One thing that might be interesting is if we end up expanding the map later on, that a few new portals could be placed in the frontier to search for. It would hopefully recreate that new rev feel and get people exploring more in those areas. I also think it'd encourage new towns to pop up and claim those portals, giving them a chance to grow after all the start of rev portals are claimed by the larger towns.

Incoming Seneca 2. And Seneca 3. And Seneca 4. 

• Upvote 1

I really like the idea of having a world painted map but less mountains. This revs map was well done but having more flatland would help in regard to building towns, large farms, massive builds. On the other hand having mountains, areas with hills, and large oceans all have equal chance of hosting great builds. I look forward to next revs map and have full confidence that it will be a good map both ways.

-Difficult1

Like the current set up please, reddit isnt reddit without freaking awesome terrain, im pretty dissapointed that most people picked a more vanilla terrain gen... i am pretty pissed about that.

Terrain like this is actually not common when compared to all P revs, just common in the past few. Some people like the nostalgia feel of the old way. Trust me, it won't be completely vanilla, it will be a fun map.

Like the current set up please, reddit isnt reddit without freaking awesome terrain, im pretty dissapointed that most people picked a more vanilla terrain gen... i am pretty pissed about that.

Important to note is the fact that in this poll, the worldpainter/terraincontrol vote is split between two options, and in fact currently holds a 53% to 41% lead over the option with a plurality.

The only issue I have with a completely world painted map is that it's not being utilized well. The map terrain has been absolutely gorgeous the last few revs, but how often have we seen cities completely flatten large, beautiful areas for their cookie-cutter plots and skyscrapers? What's the point in having fully worldpainted terrain if not to enjoy it and shape your city to match the terrain rather than razing everything to a single y-level.

So I think vanilla with a few select worldpainted areas is a good compromise.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my perspective: I don't think volume makes good terrain.  I think good terrain is defined by negative space.  The stuff that really seems to get people excited is not large, necessarily -- it is shot through with holes, arches, and tunnels, and has an interesting shape eroded by the algorithm.  Unless they've dramatically improved World Painter since the last time I experimented with it, you can't paint space.  All you can do is fill it.

Is there still an updated and functioning server mod that can get us terrain like we had in Rev 1?

If I have one complaint about the current rev, it's that building your house on top of a 200+ block-high mountain seems like a great idea until you realize you have to drill down 100 blocks just to find coal or natural caverns.  The game doesn't propagate anything above height 127, so if you paint tons of rock and dirt over the pregenerated terrain, all it adds to the game are a lot of double chests full of cobblestone.

Let's keep it interesting, not big.

DMZ

Edited by dmz2112