Allow /ignore to persist between restarts/logins

Mumberthrax

Perhaps. There are a few reasons this seems to me, at least for the moment, to be an unappealing approach.

• I don't really want to depend on someone else to judge whether my feelings about the things another person types are justified or not.
  • I don't want to create additional work/drama for staff when the solution could be automated.
  • I don't want to try to censor someone that other people don't mind joking around with, because I know different people can tolerate different amounts of bullshit, what may be distressing and really grating for one person may be absolutely nothing to many more people.

I suppose for me an alternative is to find a way to use client mods to filter messages of specific people, but not everyone playing is going to want to deal with that.

Mostly I just don't want to come across as whining or making a fuss.

I will say that having the luxury of /ignore is wonderful. As a staff member I was never able to use it and now that I'm just a regular player it's great. Needing to /ignore someone multiple times is a small price to pay for the benefits of it, its just a mild annoyance to start to see bullshit pop up in global chat before /ignore-ing them, or ironically to have to retype their names every time I don't want to think about them. :P

• Upvote 8

It can be done with macro keybind mod, if someone with wizard skills can put it together.

First one is to do onJoinGame, check for the list of people [playername] and if they're online run /ignore [playername]

Second is onChat

onChat

[playername] joined the game
run /ignore [playername]

If someone could put it together I (and I assume mumber) would greatly appreciate it. 

Keep in mind that staff override /ignore in PM (IIRC), and obvious 'be wary of using this if you're staff' is obvious.
  • Upvote 1

I'm guessing the reasoning for not having it persist between restarts is staff doesn't want players ignoring staff members (this would be problematic and probably cause more problems than it solves).

Is there a way to easily do this in TabbyChat? I can't find any documentation for playing on our type of server, and my attempts at figuring out Regex have been fairly futile.

If I recall correctly, the original concern about it persisting was that people might gang up on someone in global chat and mass /ignore them when they don't deserve to be shunned in that way - that is, shitty behavior ruining what was meant to be a tool to defend against shitty behavior.

Ignoring players is handled by the NerdMessage plugin.

When NerdMessage deals with a player, it uses an "NMUser" object, which contains a set of strings of the usernames of players that are being ignored.  The NMUser objects do not persist through restarts, the plugin creates a new one the first time it interacts with a player, and keeps a list of these objects in memory.

So in order to persist through restarts, the plugin would have to write the lists of ignored players to disk, and probably store them as UUIDs instead of player name strings.  It's not a huge amount of coding by any means, but it's not as simple as changing a config value.

This kind of problem arises because nerd insists on "rolling their own" plugins or CH scripts for everything, instead of using one of the hundreds of open-source chat plugins available, which have more features, allow easier customization, and require less Tech Admin time and effort.  This is one reason among many why Nerd is less "nimble" in making changes and trying out new ideas.

• Upvote 2