Staff Page Order

MasterCommaThe

Currently our staff page is sorted into categories of Admins, Moderators, and prior staff. I would find it helpful if we also sorted each section by the number of modreqs each staff member has completed. That way players can quickly find the titles of staff who are generally most active in-game. Since the statistics of the number of modreqs performed by staff are already tracked, I don't think this would require significant effort to implement. As a stretch goal (to motivate staff perhaps) we could put a star by the names of the staff who have completed the most modreqs on each individual server.

Alternatively, play time or block changes could be used as the determining factor for the sort order. 

Please respond below with your idea of whether this would be helpful for you and which criteria would best reflect staff accessibility to players.

• Upvote 3

No.

Admins do more complex or contentious modreqs. Some are deliberately left for moderators or admins more familiar with the tools, or only admins have access to the tools. It's gamification of a stat that no-one should really be boasting about. More time (measured in hours) spent on modreqs is equally bad as it would lead to burn out.

• Upvote 3

Admins and mods are in separate categories, so I don't think there would be any issue with comparison of one vs. the other.

Additionally I had assumed the actual statistics would be hidden and only the order would be shown.

I agree, time is probably a bad measure.

I would hope this wouldn't cause anyone stress and would be mostly a useful tool for players.

• Upvote 1

A little green border around an online staff member or a dot next to their name would be more helpful for anyone looking for someone to contact, in my opinion. Such as even though I'd be at the top of this sorting, I'm not actually online that often, and almost any time I am, there's other mods online as well, as recently I've been playing at very standard times.

Where as a little online indicator might help if there's only one mod online but they just started playing after a hiatus or if they just play at a time when modreqs aren't common.

• Upvote 3

Didn't we have an almost complete website profile system that informed us if players were online and where they were? what happened to that beautiful thing that seems to have gone forgotten, it was like a part of these massive website upgrades we were supposed to get... 

But besides that, I both do and don't like this idea...

I do like it because it will show which staff members are actually active because I have a hard time believing that our 59 staff members are all active.

I don't like it because similarly it also does not portray activity levels either... When I was a moderator, I played during the time that we really never got any modreqs... I was active however as I was constantly finding grief to clean up... Sadly even then, it was grief by someone who is already banned because the moderator who banned them never rolled back their edits... so despite doing quite a bit, it looked like I would do roughly 2 modreq's a week... Playtime would be far more accurate to look at.

• Upvote 2

I think splitting online staff by rank is a bit pointless. Either have an additional unranked list of online staff at the top (with the rest of the page unchanged), or remove all categories from the page and allow people to click through to a staffer's profile to see their rank.

XkinOEC, if you're talking about the site williammck and I wrote, it's still on github. I heard from a nerd staffer (I forget who) a few weeks ago that nerd might just run it. If they did decide to do that, i'd help with updating it and finishing features if someone asked me. I still think it's one of the cheapest (in terms of man-hours) ways to attract and retain players at nerd.

• Upvote 1

XkinOEC, if you're talking about the site williammck and I wrote, it's still on github. I heard from a nerd staffer (I forget who) a few weeks ago that nerd might just run it. If they did decide to do that, i'd help with updating it and finishing features if someone asked me. I still think it's one of the cheapest (in terms of man-hours) ways to attract and retain players at nerd.

He could also be referring to the one Slide was apparently making at one point.

• Upvote 1

Or I could be referring to both, first being the one that barneygale had shown us that looked to be entirely complete, kinda got me really excited, but then heard from our lovely head admin of the time that we would not do that for we had been working on something else "cooler and more intuitive" for the website for "several months now" that was well over 6 months ago now. Not a thing has changed.:cripes:

• Upvote 1

Barneygale, as much as you and I love back-end changes, the community on nerd.nu is not exactly going to care about those changes if they make absolutely no visual/tangible changes to the front end... we need a new website, as a whole, not just a new framework... even if said framework is what makes it possible.

• Upvote 1