Rev 17 Preliminary Feedback Thread

TheRandomnatrix

Greetings PvEers! We’re about a month into rev 17 and while there is still PLENTY of time to build, we’re looking for feedback so we can start planning for the next map and make it even more awesomer.

The things we’re mainly looking for feedback on are:

Iron grinders:
Did you guys like the setup we had this rev? Was it confusing to use? Should the cost:benefit ratio be adjusted? Are they too easy to get considering their benefit or are they fine the way they are?

The nether:
How’d you guys like this rev’s nether? Should we spend some more time making a more fleshed out nether in the future?

Custom flora:
Aside from the initial leaf decay issues, how’d you guys like the trees? Is it something we should continue to do in future revs?

Portals:
Always a hot topic. Too many? Too few? With additional increase in rail infrastructure this rev alongside easier access to iron grinders we’re curious how people have felt about them.

Ore distributions:
How’d you guys feel about ores distros this rev?

MapWorld:
Is this something we should do in future revs?

Terrain:
We went with mostly vanilla this rev with some WP stuff in. What kind of features would you suggest we consider for next rev? Too much ocean/too little ocean? Too flat/too hilly?

Spawn:
Was the flowercopter cool or not? Is silver a silly padmin?
Was food accessible enough at the start?
Spawn challenges. Did you guys like those this rev? Should we do more in the future?

Custom mobs:
How’d you guys like those? Should we try to introduce more types? Did they spawn too much/too little? Should current configurations of existing mobs be adjusted?
Do you have any ideas for future variants?

/help:
How are you guys liking /help instead of rulebooks? Are we missing any sections or useful info?

• Upvote 1

Iron grinders:

I think the iron rate is perfect, though they could stand to be a bit more expensive to upgrade. Maybe not more villagers (because lag) but some other resource.

The nether:

Love it.

Custom flora:

Love them.

Portals:

I think mid rev portal additions may be interesting. Could be along cardinals or placed in empty parts of the map to encourage expansion late rev.

Ore distributions:

Ores are OK. I could use more gold, but I think it's OK that it's so hard to get.

MapWorld:

Yes. Doesn't take away anything from the game and provides a benefit to those who wish to use it.

Terrain:

Terrain feels about right. I like the few world painted mountains. Maybe a couple areas with extreme overhangs would be cool.

Spawn:

Silver is silly, food was accessible, spawn sekrits to explore are always fun.

Custom mobs:

I like the custom mobs a lot. Maybe a tiny bit more frequent, or more types would be nice. I see one maybe once a week and I think that once every day or two would be good.

/help:

Why not both? I like the tangible aspect of a rule book, but the ability to get additional help on specific subjects quickly is great.

I'd say it's all good this rev. Really good.

As with Pez, I'm finding gold to be the major limiting factor for rails, and the downside of the excellent nether is that without a roof a gold farm isn't really feasible. Although I have been making stations and other features with a lot of vertical travel, so I'm probably using more than I would for CARBON lite etc.

I'd suggest having a flock of sheep in mapworld. I have a plot but haven't used it yet as carrying 256 stacks of materials there and placing them is a very intimidating prospect.

Iron grinders:
I love it. Less lag I think overall plus making it somewhat easier to get than building those monstrosities from last rev. Its a great idea.

The nether:
Also love this too. Its much prettier than the traditional nether.

Custom flora:
I love custom maps!

Portals:
It would depend on how big the map will be next rev, but I like the 4. Maybe add one or two hidden portals but that's it.

Ore distributions:
Haven't noticed any problems with it :)

MapWorld:
Sure! as long as maps in item frames don't make too much lag.

Terrain:
I love the mountains and the volcano!! More please! As for the ocean, maybe add some stuff other than monuments to make it more appealing.

Spawn:
Spawn is super cute this rev :)
The melons were a bit hard to get at the start of the rev. Maybe add the button from last rev that added in all the melons instead of waiting for them to grow naturally?
I like the challenges, but as someone who sucks at parkour maybe add some that do something different? 

Custom mobs:
More please! I think surviving on Pve is a bit too easy, so adding in more types (like a super enderman or boss pig zombie) would be great. Having more spawn would make it much more challenging too.

/help:
Haven't really used it so I wouldn't know.

Iron grinders:
Definitely need to either lower the amount of villagers it cost to make or make villager breeding times like how animal breeding times on this server is. I made atleast 10 modreqs to just get the grinder to full speed. 

The nether:
The nether is great. It should definitely stay the same. Maybe cull special mob spawn there.

Custom flora:
Alot of those trees were the devil when cutting them down. However the glowstone trees were my favorite.

Portals:
SOMETHING THAT WAS GOTTEN RIGHT!

Ore distributions:
It was actually perfect for once. You had to put in the effort and you were rewarded for your effort that was put in

MapWorld:
sure?

Terrain:
Too much ocean. Heading south when rev started was terrabad. I went to the bathroom while I waited to die. 

Spawn:
Spawn was fine.

Custom mobs:
More types would be great. Also Sir Meow should have a knockback X stick. 

Edited by Silversunset01
edited for legibility (those black highlights ._.)

Iron grinders:

I think the iron grinders were great, but the cost wasn't enough. It was too easy to get them to the highest tier. I think the villager amount is fine, since we don't really want to add to them for lag issues, but maybe add the cost in some other way. More heads perhaps? Maybe have the head cost already on first tier spawners so it would go 1-1-1-1/2-2-2-2/4-4-4-4/8-8-8-8. So the last tier spawners would each cost 8 heads. Or something.

The nether:

Love it. It's an actually dangerous place with the normal mobs spawning as well. The biomes were useful and look good. Also nice finding underground ravines! I would like to maybe see a bigger nether though.

Custom flora:

Absolutely love them and I hope we see them in the future revs as well. Would be very blah to just return to normal trees after this. What I do hope is, that we'd get the option to modreq the custom logs for custom made trees (one can dream).

Portals:

I think this is definately a step to the right direction. I think the portal discussion posts have a lot on this already. One thing to try is perhaps when/if you expand the map you add additional portals as well (and as someone suggested to benefit habiting directions lacking population).

Other than that it would be interesting to try one rev to just give any established place to modrew a portal. I think the criteria could very well be the same as it is to getting a /place.

Ore distributions:

Haven't mined that much, but seems good.

MapWorld:

I like the idea and it's good to have a place for people to put their pixel art in. With the maps on item frames not being banned anymore it's quite great though doubt I'll use it myself.

Terrain:

The map is a good mix this time. Love having the mega taiga there as well. Unlike some, I think it's good to have good sized oceans. Those who complain about them don't seem to realise how many people choose to go live there.

Spawn:

Silver is a silly padmin, that goes without saying. The spawn was clear enough to navigate, wish there was a sekrit way on top of the flowercopter, but that's about my only complaint.

I'm not a fan of melons at spawn, though I know why they're there. It's survival. Get your own food or die. :P But if there are melons they should be with the autogrow button, since otherwise they only serve those who are out first.

Guess I'm biased on the spawn challanges, but I like them being there and wish we continue with them. :D

Custom mobs:

Yeh, I'll get that stick some day...

The custom mobs are great, but they should be more common. I still haven't seen Dr. Cuddles and it's been a month. And I've been around a lot.

In addition to the knockback stick I'd suggest adding equally cool items the other mobs drop.

I'd love to see both nether and end variants of special mobs (of all of them).

For overworld I'd love to see a headless horseman. :D

/help:

/Help is awesome and hopefully to stay. Rulebook is still cool to get at the start of the rev though. Both better I guess, but if only one of them /help absolutely.

Iron grinders:

They need to be limited in some way. There's way too much iron out there. Couple ideas:

• Increase the cost of each upgrade
  • Decrease the spawn rate at all levels
  • Only allow upgrades after a certain period of time 
The nether:

Nether is pretty neat.

Custom flora:

It'd be nice if the logs were more connected so that cutting down a tree isn't a scavenger hunt

Portals:

Seem pretty good so far. Would have liked if they weren't placed until a week in instead of not activated until a week in.

Ore distributions:

Nerf diamonds just a little. Feels like its way too easy to get a bunch of them. Would also help balance golem spawners.

MapWorld:

Yes. Maybe add a doublechest that's one below surface level in each plot so users have a place to store materials in it. If it's one below ground you could only access it if you're on the plot which would mean no extra work when assigning plots.

Terrain:

I really like the change considering the last three revs were really flat and uninteresting. The volcano and Titty Mountains are really neat, it'd be cool to see more unique stuff like that spread out across the map. Maybe a bit less ocean.

Spawn:

Spawn was pretty good. Like the secrets, food was good, bit smaller than last rev. Lets go for even smaller next rev! (At least in the x and z directions)

Custom mobs:

Custom mobs are cool. It'd be nice if eventually every mob had a rare custom type. Friendly mobs could have some too. Cows that you use bottles on and get a potion, chickens where if you kill the special one you get swarmed by chickens a la Zelda, sheep you can sheer for full durability chainmail gear, etc. 

I would like to see Dr Cuddles changed in some way. Right now its like getting facedstabbed by an invisible Spy. Let his name be seen from farther away, add a short fuse, have it do just enough damage to kill anything less than full diamond armor. Something to allow some sort of counterplay.

/help:

Everything in /help should be available on a webpage for easier browsing. Would also allow for more in-depth explanations for things that need it.

Guest Former Staff

Have added my thoughts in green:

Iron grinders:
Did you guys like the setup we had this rev? Was it confusing to use? Should the cost:benefit ratio be adjusted? Are they too easy to get considering their benefit or are they fine the way they are?

I feel that if there was only one tier of golem spawner then this would result in less modreqs / less waiting around for an admin to upgrade or add spawners. This would work by having cost jumps for each new spawner which would all be spawning golems as fast as one another. Increasing the costs do seem to be a common suggestion, how about considering custom, low-chance drops from the custom mobs to be considered for one of the cost requirements?

Custom flora:
Aside from the initial leaf decay issues, how’d you guys like the trees? Is it something we should continue to do in future revs?

These are great for pearling around during admin hunts additions to make a map feel that bit more special. It's really nice to see them and people tend to go nostalgic and refer to revs which had ____.

Portals:
Always a hot topic. Too many? Too few? With additional increase in rail infrastructure this rev alongside easier access to iron grinders we’re curious how people have felt about them.

There were so few this rev that it brought people together to create these impressive mega-road structures. I'd be interested to hear from the people who worked on these to find out how the experience has been so far, particularly working with other people's regions / builds and whatnot.

Going back on-topic... Trying different approaches with portals may keep the experience a little fresher and let you all take some risks.

Ore distributions:
How’d you guys feel about ores distros this rev?

I haven't focused too much on gathering the rarer ores but generally I've been able to build up a fair stockpile in excess to what I need from the mining that I've done so far.

MapWorld:

This world unfortunately seems to be largely un-used but that may be due to a lack of knowledge for either how to get there or with people just prefering to not use it?

Terrain:
We went with mostly vanilla this rev with some WP stuff in. What kind of features would you suggest we consider for next rev? Too much ocean/too little ocean? Too flat/too hilly?

Personally I think there was a good mixture of biomes around the place. I've been using the ocean primarily where there are easily several other individuals / groups of people building along the coast or the islands. Felt like a good number of mountain areas too.

Custom mobs:
How’d you guys like those? Should we try to introduce more types? Did they spawn too much/too little? Should current configurations of existing mobs be adjusted?
Do you have any ideas for future variants?

Expanding the mob varieties seems fun to consider.

• PvE Admins
  • bullet_black.png
  • 239 posts

Posted Today, 03:07 PM

Iron grinders:

It was amazing. Interesting note was if you take the time to sort villagers to unlock trades for a trading village as you breed villagers you get an iron grinder to about level 12-13 before you really find that most of your breeding goes to the grinder donation. We had most villagers with max enchants by then. I think people just straight up breeding for the iron grinder without checking trades will be bored/unhappy with the large amounts of  villagers to make but for villager trading creation in parallel of an iron grinder the amount of villagers needed was perfect. 

I would agree you could increase the diamond cost (more padmin sacrifices) I would suggest keeping it 16 levels as it is  and keep the current spawn rates. Please consider the following material changes:

always 22 doors per level.

always 16 villagers per level (if you had to build a 16 pod grinder you would need these villagers -- the fact we aren't moving them up into pods saves you so much time)

levels 1-4 - 10 stacks of cobble each level

levels 5-8 -  10 stacks of cobble & 5 stacks of smooth stone -- 2 padmin heads per level

levels 9-12 - 15 stacks of smooth stone -- 3 padmin heads per level

levsl 13-16 - 10 stacks of Netherbrick & 15 stacks of smooth stone -- 4 padmin heads per level

Cobble is too easy. As time goes on you get enchants/trades to get the tools to make the smooth stone so reflect this. By the end you need netherbrick because the nether is dangerous - If you continue with the custom nether/mobs this is very dangerous and more so if the nether portals are not lite by the first 1-2 weeks. I think upping the challenge/cost of the materials is important to reflect the growth of a city/group being able to max out a grinder. Personal grinders to level 4-8 at most should be plenty of iron for anyone but to get to max you really need to make it more challenging than just cobble and put more risk/involvement. More stacks means more mining and rewards co-operation in the effort to build the iron grinders.

The nether:

There was no reward for exploring or finding nether fortresses. The chests were empty. People like getting armor (horse armor is really needed) - I would try to get the chests in the nether as a reward for the early risk/exploring. People in leather/iron braving the nether with only 1 portal to get chests/rewards should get something. Dying and running back is very difficult/risky. If it is not possible then put in a way to craft horse armor.

Other fun examples of rewards in this nether for exploring was the houses with skeleton heads. The dinosaur quartz statues were fun.

This nether does allow for easier wither skull farming but the windows/times when you can take full advantage of this is low. (no one else in nether) It kills fortress nether farm builds. It does open up for more AFK farms. but also you find that just moving around and hunting the nether is enough to get the 1-2 beacons you need. I do miss the nether fort farm/demand but also the sky platform/afk builds should cover that need.

Custom flora:

Once the leaf decay was fixed it was perfect. Love the custom/different trees. 

Portals:

I would add 4 more at the cardinals at say 2500ish out. Evenly breaking up the map focus to 9 areas instead of just 5 like we have now for "distance to portals".

Ore distributions:

They felt good.

MapWorld:

Don't understand the map world or why we have it.

Terrain:

I like vanilla. I like to see swamps not just be a small biome buffer between bigger biomes but have at least 1 good size swamp. I really liked the ocean in the SE with all the islands. This was very cool.

Spawn:

Spawn was cool. I think to make the challenge harder no food/melons at spawn. This puts the need on the community to work out a way to feed ourselves and work together on this and not just grab easy/free melons at spawn. It will up the challenge.

Custom mobs:

Dr Cuddles was powerful but very rare. Keep it this way. By the time you notice it is him you are dead. The other rare mobs were cool. S used a "blood" moon type mod to make mobs tougher/more common at some nights. I would try to do this. There should be a threat on towns/builds more to design with some light/defense planning in mind. The nether with more mob options was more dangerous. Meowington in nether is no joke. Withers on you quick or near the initial spawn portal was risky and a good challenge.

/help:

Nice reduction of items at start.

Other:

Creeper heads. We need more of these or an easier ways to get them. I know how to get them but they don't come very easy. I think we are limiting our creative approach to banners/builds without having a better source of creeper heads. I can see this being helped with either a way to trade in at spawn padmin heads for creeper heads or with the custom mobs create more charged creepers to be found/used. Creeper heads into the community means different banners with the use of the creeper head and overall would just be cool to see happen for builds overall.

Edited by Wozdaka
  • Upvote 1

Iron grinders:
Haven't had a chance to really get to do much with this, so not much I can weigh in on.  It is pretty nifty that iron grinder setups can now be built without full sunlight and can be stashed under roofs; I'm looking forward to this aspect myself.

The nether:
It's exotic and certainly a change of pace from vanilla.  Compared to vanilla it's easier to traverse, but very much more dangerous with the prevalence of overworld mobs that will attempt to kill on sight (in contrast, in most of a vanilla Nether, zombie pigmen don't attack unless provoked, ghast fireballs are straightforward to dodge, and magma cubes are rare - I've gone quartz mining on S revs 20-21-ish, mid- to late-rev, and found those trips to be rather tranquil).

Custom flora:
Dense forests are not conducive to admin chasing!  Otherwise they are rather aesthetically pleasing and make for good scenery.

Portals:
Going to admit that as a huge fan of fast travel, I would like to see more portals; 5 leaves a lot of fast-travel infrastructure to rails and cart speed is susceptible to lag (then again, it's only a month into the rev and this might not be a huge problem later).  Otherwise I currently don't have much to make a case for either way though.

Ore distributions:
I've been hitting diamonds a lot more frequently this rev (yay more diamonds in storage!), but I don't have much to say here - I source precious metals mainly from elsewhere.

MapWorld:
Haven't used it yet, so not much opinion here.  It's a cool idea and I'm looking forward to using it though.

Terrain:
I like this mix - the WP features make the map more interesting to look at while exploring (not to mention, the big mountains/volcano feel more like a barrier to travel just as they were in ancient times IRL, which I think is a fun change).

Also the islands in the ocean are amazing.  Well done.

Spawn:
Spawn is cool.  Silver is not silly.

Custom mobs:
They're a nifty change in the mob distribution, and Meowingtons is pretty interesting in particular.  From my own experience and stories from other players, I think Dr Cuddles could stand to be nerfed - it doesn't give enough time for the player to react before it kills the player (the other mobs that spawn naturally, custom and vanilla, do this pretty nicely), and its explosion is both insanely powerful and large (I felt an explosion from one on the ground while standing on a CARBON rail almost directly above).  In terms of gameplay it's a bit frustrating to be killed suddenly by something dependent on rare random mob spawning.

/help:
I like the revamped /help (where was this three years ago when I started playing here??), but admittedly haven't been looking at it much myself recently.  As the others mention, it's a bit less tangible compared to a rulebook item, but I think the presentation of the content is better - it is possible to jump to specific information rather than leaf through 20+ pages of a book.

• Upvote 1

Iron grinders:

Overall the rate is a little disappointing, but the fact that everyone has one mitigates that. I think a resource other than diamonds (for skulls) should be substituted for part of the diamond cost, considering that standard grinders have a linear cost but these have an exponential cost in a resource standard grinders don't use. For fairness I'd recommend a time delay on each upgrade level instead of increasing the cost. Such as: only four base level spawners the first week, next week you can upgrade spawners, etc. To sort of represent the time commitment necessary to construct a real grinder. It would also be nice for clarification/codification on towns vs. individuals, as currently people working together are penalized in only getting 4 spawners total, whereas if each were an individual (donating resources to each other) they'd be able to get more spawners total.

I agree with other's that cobble is too easy, sure you can make a grinder out of cobble (technically you could use cobble half slabs for a grinder and half your cost), but no one would do that as it's ugly. I'd suggest either requiring stonebrick or wood planks of a uniform type. I'd also recommend a bucket cost to represent the water/lava you have to gather and to incur a ore cost (at least for the first level).

The nether:
I like it (especially that "Plains" biomes spawn wither skeletons). It might be nice to see more variety in land types, even if it kills the wither grinders.

Custom flora:
I like some of the trees, but think there are too many forests right next to each other, it's also a pain to chop the trees down early in the rev when you don't have access to higher durability tools. Maybe decrease their density or spread the forests out away from each other.

Portals:

Not much to say, except I hated the zodiacs so it's nice to have consistent portals. A suggestion I might have for next rev, is move the portals in closer and later in the rev do a map increase which includes further out portals for a second portal hunt. Maybe place one at y=250 next rev.

Ore distributions:

I like the diamond plump, only thing that has made the diamond cost on the iron grinders bearable.

MapWorld:
Haven't used it yet, but like the concept (and have a few ideas on what i'll use it for). I do like that it protects the live map from having random pixel art.

Terrain:
Might just be the location I settled in but some of the mountains (especially those with dense trees) are a pain to traverse, I sort of hate having to hack my way through trees just to climb a mountain, potentially marring the landscape for someone to build in the future. Tends to restrict me to roads/rails when travelling.

Spawn:
I like the corner exits as it makes it more open to the world, I wish they were more visible, maybe even get ride of the outer fence entirely so players don't feel restricted to the cardinals. I tend to want smaller spawns so there's more area for people to build near spawn, this rev's is a nice size, but much if the interior seems wasted (might improve as people build embassies). I think I'm the only person who has trouble finding where the puzzles even start.

Custom mobs:
I've only seen Sir Meowington (4 times), and maybe a spider one (killed it too fast to read its name). I think they some should be nerfed, just so someone in iron armor could stand a fighting chance since they occur everywhere in the overworld. Maybe a few nether exclusives that could be more lethal.

/help:
I haven't used it much but I haven't seen a list of all commands players could use. Recently a mod introduced me to /regions-there which I'd never known about. Insanely useful command when you don't have a wood sword, something I think a list of commands all players can use would help with.

Other thoughts:

Square map: much better than the circle.

World border: The 10 block warning is nice, but a visible border would be better. Also it seems less prone to teleporting you to very random unsafe locations compared to previous revs. Is there a reason the server doesn't use the physical visible border that is in 1.8+?

Edited by SirLyle

Yesssss... Something I'm good at, giving my opinion  :wink:

Iron grinders:
Loved the implementation of my this idea. The cost is fine (have to consider balancing megatowns vs solo builders, after all) but I agree with the suggestion of timing rollouts of upgrades to limit the excess of iron. Usually takes me nearly all rev to get a double-chest of iron blocks, not three weeks.

Was slightly confusing until I saw a visual of spacing, other than that it's fine. Maybe have a demo setup somewhere for people to get? idunno

• Maybe change the cost from normal dopples to the padmin dopples? That increases cost (the head plus the custom item dropped) without affecting the first tier grinders. Plus fuck yes padmin dopples.
  • Maybe consider changing the door cost to a multiple of 3 so no crafting excess/wasted doors? </frivilous suggestion>

The nether:

Loved the nether. Didn't love the empty loot chests (/me looks at Switch). Especially loved that you could loot skeleton skulls. Love the plethora of blaze spawners. Love the ease of getting wither skulls. The nether this rev was next to perfect (fuck yes glowstone forest!)

Custom flora:
I think Rokku would lead a rebellion out of the heart of Whiteoak if you don't bring these back. 

• Could we do player-submitted designs or are they a part of the program used to make the map?
  • Could we have custom recipes to replace ones cut down? That would save a lot of time with rollbacks, plus give players the option to grow them elsewhere.

Portals:

I'm very disappointed that the padmins caved to the vocal minority when it came to the initial portal plans. Change is good. This is coming from someone who hates change unless she's aware it's happening before it happens. The amount is fine.

Ore distributions:
ALL THE DIAMONDS OMG

Only minor complaint is gold distribution, but that's because I'm too lazy to mine where gold is more common.

MapWorld:
Pls keep.

Terrain:
Map is fine, but it would be nicer to have more bigger/custom islands dispersed in the ocean. Or even putting things on the ocean floor so it's not so monotonous. 

CUSTOM SPONGE DROPPING GUARDIAN GRINDERS PLS.

Spawn:
Silver is always a silly padmin. That's why she was chosen as padmin. Duh.

Flowercopter is good. Spawn is easier than last rev's to navigate. Only change I'd make is to change the text colour from pastels to more bold colours. It messes up with some texture packs.

Food is fine, but please bring back the command block instagrow for melons, pls. Or even potatoes? Something to change it up slightly but keep it the same. :p

Spawn challenges are great, Zomise is an evil wench, pls 2 no more parkour over void kthx.

• Is there a way to disable death messages while in the spawn region/sekrits?
  • Is there any chance of player-submitted challenges? Just give a size and paste it in. Admins create the entrances by integrating submitter descriptions into the spawn design.

Custom mobs:
Fuck you, Meowingtons >_>

Also known as, love them and the challenge, hate being smacked into fucking lava in the fucking nether.

/help:

/help is fine, but maybe adding the /rulebook command back as an option for those who want it /shrug

Other suggestions/comments:

Crafting horse armour. The old S recipe would work.

Maybe consider bringing in Enchantism for the lower-tier enchants (tier 1-2, no fortune/silk touch etc, will not accept diamond tools) 

A way to grind sponges.

Placing TNT as a decorative block (this will make PaVE so much fun if we can integrate TNT into builds and rig to blow up when it's enabled >:D)

sure you can make a grinder out of cobble (technically you could use cobble half slabs for a grinder and half your cost), but no one would do that as it's ugly

Speak for yourself  >_>

Edited by twilexis
  • Upvote 1

World border: The 10 block warning is nice, but a visible border would be better. Also it seems less prone to teleporting you to very random unsafe locations compared to previous revs. Is there a reason the server doesn't use the physical visible border that is in 1.8+?

We still use the worldborder plugin because it has a lot more utility than the vanilla variant. Though trying to use both simultaneously may be a possibility, would have to do testing. 

Could we do player-submitted designs or are they a part of the program used to make the map?

They're not specific to a program, and are fully customizable, so this may be a good idea ;)

Other thoughts:

Square map: much better than the circle.

We still use the worldborder plugin because it has a lot more utility than the vanilla variant. Though trying to use both simultaneously may be a possibility, would have to do testing. 

They're not specific to a program, and are fully customizable, so this may be a good idea ;)

I don't like this idea simply for the reason that it would ruin all screenshots and video taken close to world border.

I do agree with the square map being better. :)

From what I understand there's a command that players can have that can visually turn it on or off.

Then it sounds great. :)

One thing I forgot to say myself is that it might be interesting to have dungeons implemented in the nether mix. Would give people even more the reason to go there. When it comes to custom spawners maybe add some nether mob spawners, but instead of being in the overworld they would be in the nether.

Other stuff I still wanted to comment:

MapWorld:

This world unfortunately seems to be largely un-used but that may be due to a lack of knowledge for either how to get there or with people just prefering to not use it?

The way to make it more appealing to players would be to maybe have a chest area at the mapworld spawn where people can store their items and a section close by for people to show their pictures in item frames and information which plot it is on so others can go and copy the artwork if they want to use it.

Commenting on some of Twi's ideas. Player submitted challanges - very neat idea that could be considered. If they're given fixed dimensions, all they need to do it offer the schematics. Redstone pasting is a slight problem though since it usually needs manual fixing afterwards.

Instead of crafting horse armor I'd be interested to see if you could somehow add its frequency in dungeons. Or if taking up on the nether dungeons idea, add it there. Crafting it just seems to decrease its value too much.

Creating custom biomes for the ocean would be damn awesome and now I really really hope we see some.

And yes, please give TNT as decorative block already. :)

Iron grinders:
Please keep the golem spawners! They prevent the map from getting littered with ugly, lag-inducing golem farms. I agree with SirLyle; we should be required to provide stonebrick or wood planks instead of cobble, as cobble is rarely used when building giant iron grinders and is pretty cheap and easy to obtain. I don't feel they're underpriced, although that's the opinion of someone who had no help buying his first golem spawners. It took me a couple hours to get everything I needed for my level 1 spawner, so the price seemed fair to me.

The nether:
The nether is great. I am a huge fan of a no-roofed nether and hope to see that in future revs! Perhaps we might see nether livemaps in the future? However I'm not a big fan of overworld mobs spawning in the nether, especially since killing zombies can potentially aggro the pigmen.

Custom flora:
The worldpainted trees look great! I vote to keep them. Is there any way to make the logs with tree bark on all six sides craftable or silk-touchable? They look awesome.

Portals:
I'm a huge fan of CARBON and its new lite variant and use them all the time. However, sometimes you need to get somewhere super fast and it's nice to have the option to take a nether portal. Perhaps we can increase the wait for portals to spawn or add more portals a few months down the road to encourage overworld exploration and infrastructure development before creating nether shortcuts?

Ore distributions:
Diamond distribution is great. Gold is pretty hard to find but perhaps that's how it should be. However, lapis has been extremely hard for me to find. This isn't a problem now that I have villagers, but when we first set about the task of building a 40k cyan glass block pyramid, finding enough lapis to dye our glass blocks with was a bit challenging.

MapWorld:
Not something I'm interested so I've got no opinion.

Terrain:
I love the extreme hills! Would have liked to see some of those last rev so I was pleased to see them this rev. The giant hills near the volcano and near Rose are awesome as well. The ocean was a bummer at first, but that's because I decided to explore SE on day 1. However, with boats being arguably broken, I would enjoy oceans more if they were surrounded by coastline. I love the inclusion of some archipelagos this rev and would love to them larger and more abundant next rev!

Spawn:
The flowercopter was cool; I enjoyed it immensely for the short amount of time I was in it. Despite being a beautiful build, rev 16's spawn was obnoxious to navigate; I enjoy this spawn much better. Good work!

Custom mobs:
I love the idea of custom mobs. The spider mob and Mr. Skeltal are great; they pose a challenge but can be defeated. However, I think Dr. Cuddles is stupid, solely because you don't know it's Dr. Cuddles until you're close enough to trigger his insta-fuse and nuclear warhead. I think that mob is super cheap and would like to see him nerfed or, as Torteela suggested, make him identifiable from further away. Sir Meowington is just anooying. It takes 2-3 minutes of clicking just to kill him. Now I just dig a hole, lure him into the hole, and then pour lava or drop sand on him. He poses no threat anymore and is merely an annoyance. Perhaps the zombie mob could have less HP in the future but spawn a bunch of baby zombies when you defeat him? Now that would be a challenge.

/help:
It's great.

• Upvote 1

The nether:
I haven't spent much time there yet, though I'll be diving in soon for quartz. But from everything I've heard it's aces. Nether biomes, glowstone trees, rich quartz reserves... all good stuff; I think this should set the baseline standard for future revs!

Custom flora:
The custom trees go a long way to add immersiveness to the map, which is fantastic for builders like me who prefer some element of realism to their structures. My only critiques of these are that there were a few places where trees on hills seemed to be 'floating' or had roots sticking out oddly, because they seemed to be designed for flat terrain.

Ore distributions:
No complaints here. I mean, I would love to see more gold but that's just the rail builder in me talking. :P

MapWorld:
Haven't used it yet, but I see no reason not to keep it.

Terrain:
I will always keep parroting my suggestion for water along the worldborders to make the land feel like a continent or archipelago. Regarding the actual terrain we had this rev, I think the mountains were an excellent addition that should remain. My one point of feedback here is that it would be cool to have the mountains organized into a recognizable range rather than just scattered across the map. Think Appalachians or Rocky Mountains. So they'd actually be a physical barrier between geographic regions. It'd be cool to see lots of tunnels and mountain pass roads. Also, some sheer stone cliffs in addition to the smooth mountain slopes would be spiffy.

Spawn:

The flowercopter is pretty cool; looks great on the maps. Molons easy to access, no complaints there.

Custom mobs:
I think the custom mobs are neat, though I do wonder if Dr. Cuddles is perhaps a little unfair. :P

I have some thoughts on some of the topics posted so far, but doing quotes on the mobile interface is horrible - look for silverthinks later tonight when I get home if you're interested.

That being said, keep it coming!! I am personally loving all this feedback (even though apparently everyone thinks I'm silly!) and it seems so far people are relatively happy with things.

/me waits for more feedback like a greedy weirdo

Here are my few thoughts:

Iron grinders:
The set-up allows iron grinders to be placed inside proper buildings, and that's all I need to be incredibly happy about them.

The nether:
I haven't done much more than run as fast as possible through the nether, because I'm terrified of meeting one of the custom mobs. It looks pretty though, and the obsidian is useful.

Custom flora:
I love the trees, and if it's true you could have any design, I think you should have a tree design competition for next rev. I also think the dense forest makes road building more rewarding. If you chose to make the entire map a forest, I wouldn't get shot by ghrey complain. :tongue:  

Portals:
Sometimes I wish portals didn't exist so that there wouldn't be anything persuading me to compromise on where I set-up my town. However, I do like running around like a headless chicken at rev start! Having more or fewer portals each rev changes the dynamic and helps to keep things interesting, so I'm up for any idea you decide to run with.

Terrain:

I pretty much like any kind of terrain - it all makes for interesting challenges in terms of building. I'd be interested in a map that gets more difficult to traverse as you go further out, or something with some truly weird biomes, but equally, natural terrain is fine by me.

Spawn:

Spawn is great - I like the open central area. At rev start, I gave up on waiting for melons to grow and went on a rabbit killing spree instead.

I don't often have the time to go hunting for spawn secrets, so some obvious public spawn challenges, with a public awards board, would be cool (if that's not a thing already).

Silver is not silly - it's a ruse designed to hide her evil plans.

Custom mobs:
I have yet to see one, and I don't want to! :ohmy: I'd like any custom mobs to be survivable though - things that just appear, and one hit kill you, are a bit frustrating. I'd prefer to be clear on what basics I'd need, in terms of equipment, in order to survive each mob. I also love the idea of some custom friendly mobs.

All in all, I am really enjoying this rev so far.

~Didy

• Upvote 1

Iron grinders:
I think it seems like a great system, anything that reduces lag is good, and while people are annoyed by the extreme lack of value for iron, I think that's great, personally, as before it was just extremely lopsided so that those who could keep an alt idling at a grinder got all the iron. It wasn't scarce enough to be truly valuable - just scarce enough to be a pain in the ass.

The nether:
Having regular zombies that, when attacked, aggro pigmen is bad. All the glowstone looks nice, but it's almost too nice to harvest, so I don't, but then invetibly somebody with a different opinion will anyway. Also, one guy pretty much took an entire mountain of quartz.

Custom flora:
I like some of the custom trees a lot. I think the custom birch trees look awesome - and they're so tall they're a real chore to cut down, which is cool. (as long as people don't leave a bunch of floating stumps outside my house) - But there is a big area of really dense trees who's leaves are completely identical and round, and it looks very artificial. If we're going to have custom trees, let's have some variety, too. Also, I don't know if it's possible, but it'd be great if the custom expanded stumps could somehow conform to the landscape better. There's a lot of floating roots out there that get kind of clumpy looking.

Portals:
I love the portal distribution. I think it's great. Enough to get around, not so many that every big town has to have one, no so many that the only way to get around is in the nether.

Ore distributions:
I have enough diamond, redstone, and lapis to get by - but not so much that I don't care about finding more. When I see some, I say 'woo, alright' instead of 'blah'.

MapWorld:
I keep forgetting to go to the mapworld and take advantage of this cool feature... I like it, but, I just forget.

Terrain:

This was a pretty good terrain. Decent representation of the various biomes. Even if it felt like, at times, entire biomes were claimed from day-1. (looking at you, jungle)

Spawn:
It was a great spawn, looks really good, I like that it doesn't take up 'tooo' much space, isn't just a big square building.

Custom mobs:
First time I met mewingtons, I thought he was somebody's pet named zombie let loose on the highway. After burning my iron sword from full to 0 durability, and then whacking at him for 10 more minutes with a bone, I was devestated that he dropped no items, and no bonus XP, I didn't try to fight anymore. Then, I heard about the stick... now, I kill them whenever I can (which even with s5fa2 is still hard) in hopes I'll get the stick. I'd love it if they dropped more loot. If they had a chance of occassionally dropping horse armor or music discs or something else cool and not easily obtained, it would be pretty awesome.

/help:
How are you guys liking /help instead of rulebooks? Are we missing any sections or useful info? I miss having the rulebook. I don't know why, I just do.

All in all, this has been an awesome rev so far.

Custom mobs:

First time I met mewingtons, I thought he was somebody's pet named zombie let loose on the highway. After burning my iron sword from full to 0 durability, and then whacking at him for 10 more minutes with a bone, I was devestated that he dropped no items, and no bonus XP, I didn't try to fight anymore. Then, I heard about the stick... now, I kill them whenever I can (which even with s5fa2 is still hard) in hopes I'll get the stick. I'd love it if they dropped more loot. If they had a chance of occassionally dropping horse armor or music discs or something else cool and not easily obtained, it would be pretty awesome.

The no bonus XP was a bug at the start of the rev, which you've probably now noticed. :) It drops a bunch now.

I like the idea of the rare mobs having the chance of dropping horse armor. If it was a very small chance it could work great.

To add on a point, I would be 100% down for anything that can randomly drop the finite resources on the map, ie horse armor, sponges and mob skulls. Make the drop rates low enough to keep them rare, but enough that the server isn't limited to a finite amount that can be destroyed/hoarded.

If anything it could set a precedent for how P is going to handle the elytra when 1.9 drops

Edited by twilexis