Custom (dynamic) server descriptions, thoughts?

c45y

After spending a stupid amount of time reviewing other PvP servers as a part of launching this latest rev I have noticed every other reasonably successful server has a more dynamic list ping. The list ping is the thing that shows up in your list of servers within the minecraft client.

I propose we throw off the shackles of the oppressive default minecraft regime and embrace this era of color and fanfare!

I spent an hour or so coding up a plugin which would not only give us a nice uniform feel to the server list pings, but could also allow mods / admins to dynamically change it from within game, an example of how this would look and also the benefits of this can be seen below.

ckY7mfd.gif

You can see an example of other servers list pings at http://mcnetworkstats.com/

While a lot of us only play on nerd.nu and probably cant see the benefits of having a more obvious list ping those of us that play elsewhere and compete for eye attention against these other servers should understand how much we are kneecapping ourselves in terms of visibility.

Thoughts?

Edited by c45y
Add proper words, with english and stuff
  • Upvote 3

Personally I associate that sort of text with pay to win servers full with bling and stuff. ._. Honestly I think they're successful in a way we don't want to be (mandatory voting and paying for shite which gives them exposure). That said, some sort of custom message surely could be nice. Just as long as it's simple enough. The arena timer on it sounds like a great idea.

Guest Former Staff

I think we should explore any tweaks we can make to generate more interest in the server(s). This seems to becoming my answer for everything thesedays but why not give it a trial run.

Zomise has a good point that we would probably want to give off the right message if we have dynamic text - We could even shout about the no pay to win aspect, as a suggestion.

Judging by the example, it looks like the ping text allows for two lines.

I think a compromise might be the best solution here: keep the first line that light-grey default with the same text it has now, and then also have the coloured second line with timely updates as per the example.

And maybe colour-code the "PvP", "PvE", "Creative" in the first line, but without making it bold.

• Upvote 1

Sounds nifty :O  I'm a bit with Silver on the presentation of the server message if we do go full color (eg. should be eye-catching without being eye-bleeding).  

I like the idea that part of the server message can be dedicated to mentioning new updates on the server - for example, "Now updated to 1.9!", "Render distance increased!", "Bugs patched and Doppelganger restored!" or something to those effects.  Not sure how often this will happen (at least during my time on P such updates were sparse enough that doing this might look a bit silly) but it would help give the impression of an active server as well as subtly remind players of what's new to check out.

Edited by buzzie71

Eye catching without eye bleeding is totally the aim, I've always loved that about nerd and strive to maintain that.

I love the idea of color coding the PVP PVE CREATIVE tags (those colors?), that was the way I coded the plugin. nerdnu would be the same across all, server tag is color, message is dynamic and interprets "& color codes"

The bold NerdNu is a bit much, its just a config change to remove that thankfully

Moving forward, should All servers be given this update at once or should I just apply it to PVP for now?

pkyoyjz.png

Got PVP updated but ran out of time in my night to do the rest of them.

If you could direct the PvE / Creative admins here to decide on a message I can set when I enable it that would be swell

All servers are now running with custom messages. C and P got a made up default.

LFCfk0S.png

Admins can set the ping message using

/tranceping <message>

Where colors are substituted for &color values shown below:

Colors.png

For example, the current PVP message was set by running

/tranceping &61.9 Compatible &7☒ &2Rev 1