[PMC] Suggestion: PVE Development Blog

Seeing what the PVP server has done with their blog, I think this is something that could greatly benefit P as well. Currently the development of a new rev is in the total darkness for players and the first time anything is heard is when the first info post comes up just before reset even though there's no actual benefit of it being so.

This would allow the playerbase to give more feedback and get more connected with the admin team. With the next rev being on 1.9 this would also help with getting exposure.

I'm not sure that a development blog for a new rev would necessarily be a good thing, at least for server activity - I remember that when I was still an admin, a large part of why we kept new rev development under wraps was to avoid broadcasting news that would cut motivation to continue playing on the rev (and thus drop rev activity) - this was why new rev announcements were made about 2 weeks (I think? or something similar) in advance, at least for the last few revs.  The impression I got was that players tend to react very strongly to news or hints of a rev's imminent end - we've had to step in and reaffirm that it wasn't a few times whenever erroneous rumors were spread about it.  The obvious exception was when the rev lasted well over 5 months (oops ._.) and players had begun to express restlessness about the current rev going for too long; by that time it didn't make much sense to withhold the news that a new rev was being worked on with the implication that the current one would end soon.

Regardless of effect on server activity it would be fun to read if it were kept active.  I think it would be best leveraged if there are plans for a mid-rev update to 1.9, where the current map is guaranteed to not disappear immediately after update.

I'm not sure that a development blog for a new rev would necessarily be a good thing, at least for server activity - I remember that when I was still an admin, a large part of why we kept new rev development under wraps was to avoid broadcasting news that would cut motivation to continue playing on the rev (and thus drop rev activity) - this was why new rev announcements were made about 2 weeks (I think? or something similar) in advance, at least for the last few revs.  The impression I got was that players tend to react very strongly to news or hints of a rev's imminent end - we've had to step in and reaffirm that it wasn't a few times whenever erroneous rumors were spread about it.  The obvious exception was when the rev lasted well over 5 months (oops ._.) and players had begun to express restlessness about the current rev going for too long; by that time it didn't make much sense to withhold the news that a new rev was being worked on with the implication that the current one would end soon.

Regardless of effect on server activity it would be fun to read if it were kept active.  I think it would be best leveraged if there are plans for a mid-rev update to 1.9, where the current map is guaranteed to not disappear immediately after update.

I don't agree with it being a negative thing. There's always rumours once the rev has been on for a couple months. If it was a regular thing that the development of a new rev was in the open, it would become normal and people would relax. Sure the initial reaction might be "rev is ending, rev is ending", but that's just a reaction for something new. Being more open about the development stages and what's going on in general would lessen the rumours, since people would know instead of having to guess. The "player base would vanish at any sight of new rev coming" is a bit of an old counter argument in my eyes and I don't think it's true as such.

• 3 months later...