Trade signs

Jalamookoofoo

Trade Signs  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What blocks do you think should be on a trade sign?

• Circle Stone
    • Mossy Stone
    • Cracked Stone
    • Mossy Cobble
    • Glowstone
    • Lilypads
    • No Trade Signs Needed

It's getting pretty late in the rev and the staff discussion made it quite clear that it's far from over. As denevien says, mojang likes to lead us on with promises of patches that (in the case of 1.6) are pushed back several months. So if we're waiting for 1.6 to start the preparations for the new the map, it could be another 2 months or even longer before the current one ends.

In light of that, it's becoming extremely hard to find rare non-renewables. I've spent the last few days constantly asking around for mossy stone brick/cobble or cracked stone brick, and found nobody willing to sell. The issue arises from the fact that strongholds are literally torn apart within hours of discovery because people know the materials will be highly valuable later on. Those people might not have ever intended to build using them, and they also might not be active anymore. Even if I could find a seller, they would probably know they have the market cornered and charge me absolutely stupid amounts of diamonds or iron.

So why do we have no trade signs this rev? I understand some materials are supposed to be valuable, but valuable =/= unattainable. Having a tradesign that costs lapis or diamonds would keep the value up while allowing players to access the materials if they would like them for their builds. It shouldn't be too hard to add to the current spawn - we already have a commandsign plugin and a precedent of creating tradesigns for rare non-renewables. All that remains is for the padmins to decide on a price. The materials that are in high demand and very low supply (as far as I am aware) are: cracked stone brick, mossy stone brick, mossy cobblestone, quartz blocks, chiseled stone brick, and to a lesser extend glowstone.

If I am missing something here and the padmins have a good reason not to implement tradesigns for any of those materials, I would really like to hear it. Thanks!

P.S. If this post seems overly aggressive or demanding I sincerely apologise, I've been told my style of writing is a bit argumentative and this is not my intention. You guys are great.

• Upvote 2

If you didn't listen to the community meet that was on Saturday, I brought up this question, and Tom gave me an answer of; we have no plans for this as of now (paraphrased).

The items I thought up which were hard to get/unobtainable are;

Rare- Circle, Mossy, and Cracked stone brick.

Semi-rare(which may or may not need a related sign) - Lilypads, Spider Webs, and Mossy Cobble.

It is entirely up to admins at this point, and I'm glad I got a firm answer at that time. You never know what the future holds! :)

• Upvote 1

Poll added. Choose the ones you think should honestly be on trade signs. Remember, the spirit of PvE is to not give away free things, but to build great and wonderful things with what we've earned.

Note: Results of poll does not guarantee implementation of trade sign, but will be used as an aid in determining if ones are needed.

• Upvote 3

We really don't need a glowstone trade sign. It's still available in good quantities in both the nether and the overworld.

I agree. Sapphric and I went searching for the blaze spawner a few weeks ago and were fairly amazed to find that there are, or were, large pockets of glowstone fairly near to the portal area. I can only imagine that if one were to go farther out that s/he would find more than enough glowstone to suit hisorher needs.

This, of course, doesn't even take into account the fact that currently one can simply strip-mine it in the overworld.

Edited by Diznatch52

Circle stone is unobtainable in vanilla. If it was put in strongholds then the strongholds would get cleaned out even faster, or be more difficult to walk through as there are holes. Good, but not ideal. Cracked and mossy stone don't run out in the strongholds I've seen near the end of the revision.

Glowstone underground works well, as it is pure digging effort to get it. Somewhat the same with mossy cobble, though there spelunking helps. Lapis is rare, though that is generally solved by plumping.

Lily pads are intentionally searched for and collected. Same with clay, though there's more deep down which we can get to later in the revision when potions are easier to make. Lilies are purely aesthetic, and I would be interested in seeing if having an abundance of them would be a bad thing. We've had a lot of glowstone this rev, and it doesn't seem over the top. Lilies have even less use, we might have a walkable ocean if they were common enough as there's not much else for them (very useful in farms).

In my opinion we should add wither skulls to that list, wither skeletons are almost not spawning and their drops is super rare so its pretty hard, almost impossible to get them. Of course they should in a very expensive price

They are supposed to be super rare. You can get them if you spend enough time hunting skellies, which, in my opinion, is kind of the point. If you want wither heads, then spend the obscene amount of time it takes to get them.

• Upvote 1

Diz is correct in my mind. Wither skulls are different because it will always be *possible* to get them, just have to put in a ton of effort. Circlestone and other stuff that only occurs in strongholds is different because it becomes literally unattainable without trading after only a few weeks - essentially giving a few players complete control over the resource. Cobwebs, glowstone, and quartz are abundant enough that players can still get them on their own if they put enough effort into it. Lily pads I can't speak about, because I've never tried to get any.

The point that dob is trying to make is that wither skellies are not spawning correctly, because you may see one in about 3 hours of searching.  I do believe totemo told me he was going to look into that and try to fix it.  As far as the trade signs, I think that would make it too easy, but the spawning rates do need to be fixed. 

• Upvote 1