New Communication Tool: Slack

slide

In order to facilitate better communication between staff, we've decided to officially move away from IRC to Slack. IRC is not the most user friendly and historically has not had as many staff members use it as we'd like. For those of you unfamiliar with Slack, it's similar to IRC but based around the web. Here is a page and video showing the service off: https://slack.com/is

Some pros to Slack:
  • Push notifications through mobile apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone, with message history transferring. So you'll never miss a message.
  • Desktop apps on Windows, OS X and Linux. There is also some support for connecting with an IRC client, optionally.
  • DMs and group DMs
  • Fancy message formatting, instead of mostly plain text
  • Flexible notification settings, so you can receive alerts when someone wants to contact you, or suppress them when you don't want to be disturbed.
  • The user experience is much like Google Hangouts or Facebook Messenger, but with many more features and IRC-style channels.
  • All the pings! You can @reply a person to ping them, or alert a whole @channel or everyone who's not flagged as AFK with @here. They'll get notifications to their desktop and mobile apps if they're away, unless they put their notifications on snooze.
  • Easily search the 10,000 most recent messages.
  • It's easier to get a newbie set up and using it, since it's a more familiar paradigm.

The techs are working on converting our bots to work with Slack so anyone needing to use them will need to use IRC for a little bit longer. We will also maintain the #RedditMC channel and eventually hope to have a bot that sends the messages from IRC into Slack so everyone can stay connected.

I've exported everyone's forum email address to import into Slack, however if you'd like to use a different one, please send me a message and I'll correct it. By the end of the week I'll be sending the invites to everyone. If you want to go ahead and get signed up, just send me a message and I'll add you as soon as I can.

Feel free to post any questions or comments about the new service. We hope this tool can help us communicate better as a group!

• Upvote 3

Just to clarify - We have the list of forum emails, however because some people (ahem me) may have updated their email address or may not wish to use a personal email for slack we'll be checking with people to make sure we use the correct email for the invite. If we don't hear by the end of the week we'll just use what we have from the forums.