Minigames Server Staff Beta Test

redwall_hp

1w3lxxS.png

After months of work, and thousands of lines of code (9,482 to be precise!), the Nerd.nu Minigames server is finally nearing its debut. For those of you who haven't been in the loop, the server is powered by a modular minigame framework I've been writing, known as AthenaGM, which can accommodate separate plugins that handle individual game modes. The first companion plugin, of which more are to follow as the core is tested and improved, is a King Of The Hill mode where you can capture and block captures by punching a beacon (or punting enemies away).

You can see a rough technical overview in flowchart form if you want the gory details, but most of you probably just want to know how you can get on, play, and help find bugs. :P

One major highlight of AthenaGM is that it's extensively mappable, with much of the settings, teams, spawn kits, etc. being controlled via a metadata file embedded in a standard Minecraft world, meaning anyone who wants to make their own maps to add to the rotation absolutely can. All you need to do is make your build and prep the world it's in a little bit, then copy and tweak some configuration. (More on this later.) So those of you who like to build arenas can take this opportunity to make some KOTH maps before the public launch if you desire.

How to Connect

[Redacted connection information]

Everyone should be whitelisted, but ping me on Slack if I missed you.

Bugs and Issues

If you find any obvious bugs, or issues with the system, please report them in this thread so they can be more easily addressed. Questions are welcome as well, and will aid testing.

Mapping

Interested in making a KOTH map? The mapping documentation for the base plugin has already been assembled here on the AthenaGM Wiki: https://github.com/redwallhp/AthenaGM/wiki

There you will find the basics of making a map, and all of the various things you can configure through the meta file.

KOTH maps should include a second, simpler, meta file called koth.yml that looks like this:

beacon:
  x: -19
  y: 91
  z: -19

capture_time: 6
capture_distance: 6

This file controls the location of the capture point, the seconds it takes to capture, and the radius in blocks (Euclidian calculation) you must stay within to keep the capture timer from canceling.

Note: If all this is too far over your head and you'd just like to build a map, I'm willing to assist in rigging up the config file if you can deliver a schematic or world file and answer some questions. The wiki is still worth a read though in order to see what is possible.

Recording

One last thing...I'd like to edit together a dramatic 30-second teaser trailer to build hype, so if any of you happen to get some footage of the server in action, or some good screenshots, don't hesitate to pass them along! (OBS is good if you want to try your hand at recording.)

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Joining KOTH alone, upon joining the red team I am unable to jump and can't fire bow; movement is lost after a delay.

Upon switching to spectator my FOV is zoomed in and I am unable to move when I am on the ground (I can still move if I fly).  There was one instance where movement abilities and FOV were restored after waiting a bit.

EDIT: Appears to be Optifine (B1) issue; removal of the mod eliminated the weird problems I had.

Edited by buzzie71

To alleviate any confusion: the system is supposed to freeze you in the pre-round. When each team has at least one player, a countdown will start and you will be unfrozen. (A message, printed when you join a team, will probably be added eventually to make this more clear.) So to play, walk through the portal or hit the sign, and select a team. Once the opposing team also has a player, the round will begin.

Buzzie seems to have encountered an odd issue with it 1. not applying properly sometimes and 2. wrongly applying in spectator mode when switching back to spectator from another team.

Edit: Optifine is weird. Hopefully that'll be patched in a later update o_0

• 3 weeks later...