Creative Revision 31 Poll & Suggestions

Hollifer

Rev 31 Poll  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Map Type: What kind of terrain would you be looking forward to seeing?

• Fully World Painted. Crafted with care.
    • All naturally generated terrain!
    • A 50/50 mix of World Painted and natural terrain. [Current terrain type]
    • Flat as a pancake, i'm tired of hills and nature reserves!!
    • World Painted, with crazy fantasy biomes that i've never seen before.
    • Other (Please comment)
  2. 2. Multiverse Worlds: Looking for feedback on what to keep, remove or add.

• Keep everything the same!
    • I want it ALL changed. . .(Explain in comments)
    • Down with Classic Creative!
    • We need something new! (Explain in comments)
    • Give us a plot world!
    • A map world please.
  3. 3. Spawn City: It's the future, what is Spawn City like?

• It finally has its own world!
    • Same as it always is, right outside spawn.
    • I hate Spawn City, let's burn it down.
    • I don't hate Spawn City the way it is now, but I have suggestions for improvement. (Explain in comments)
    • I have other ideas. (Explain in comments)
  4. 4. Other Pre-made Map Areas: What are you interested in seeing already built into the map?

• Cardinal Roads
    • Pixelart Valley
    • Bigtown
    • Spleef Arena
    • Speedbuild
    • Spawn City
    • Other? (Comment)
  5. 5. Contests/Games: What would you be interested in playing?

• Speedbuild
    • Treasure Hunt
    • Pixel Art Contest
    • Week-long build contests
    • Parkour
    • Elytra Races
    • Boat Wars
    • Maze
    • Other? (Please share with us in the comments!)

Hello friends! :smile:

We're preparing to work on the new map, and looking for some feedback from you all!

Comments are highly encouraged-- give us a piece of your mind!

The estimated launch date will be in July. We'll release the official launch day a month in advance, as always.

Not mentioned in the poll area: we'd also be interested in what you believe was or wasn't successful in the early parts of the current revision (30)

Did the map meet your expectations?

What could be changed?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

-The Cadmin team.

• Upvote 4

Regarding spawn city: I think a decent amount of people like building there, and I think that sometimes new players may get confused about it and think that the whole world is just plots, not realizing there is a whole wilderness where they can build whatever and not just houses. I don't know what the ideal solution to this is - putting spawn city into its own world might reduce that ambiguity for new players, and would spawn city still be used as much or as appealing if it were off in its own multiverse world accessible by a portal at spawn like the creative classic world is?

What about just having spawn city on one side of spawn, and then having just everything off on the other side of the spawn being freebuild?

• Upvote 1

I'm in favor of more beautiful worldpainTED maps. Vanilla has grown boring after half a decade of Minecraft.

Also, ideas for a new addition to Spawn City. Perhaps if the city could be built next to a sea, large lake or ocean, there could be a harbor area complete with piers which can be claimed for players to build ships in. I think this would be a welcome addition seeing how C loves their ships.

In addition to Speedbuild and the proposed minigames, how about hosting an attack/defend type team deathmatch game? Lappy486 and I have built many battle maps in a similar vein to the ones you would see in CoD of Duty. Maybe later on in the rev, when these battlefield builds are compleTED, we could host a monthly deathmatch type event.

also an OCWS multiverse couldn't hurt <:^)

Edited by TokenChineseGuy
  • Upvote 2

Guest Former Staff

Thanks for creating this topic!

I just wanted to shed some thoughts on my vote to remove the classic creative world.

This particular world is where I prefer to build, I like the challenge of having to create scaffolding, plan out how I'm going to order my build and without the help of flying or world edit. Aside from a couple of other people who have created a few builds, no-one uses this world aside from me from what I can see. The world itself seems to be confusing for people and it's not clear enough (despite the signs at the spawn point) on how it all works.

If possible, it would be better to have the features of this world (no flying, no creative inventory) wrapped into a game mode command. I'd spend my time building in the same world as everyone else then. :-)

Make the end larger and give more space for scifi or outer space builds, or just make a space world like in rev 29. I would really enjoy being able to make a much more space builds (star destroyers, space stations, planets, etc)

• Upvote 2

I've said it before, I'll say it again, cut the spawn city, plots make us unwelcoming, curated cities are nice, but unless it's actively curated to accommodate the many different types of land you would see in the real world, they always just look like plots... It also implies that our server is exclusively a city build server. Allow anything to be built surrounding spawn(WHICH SHOULD BE OPEN AND EASY TO EXIT WHERE BUILDING CAN BEGIN REALLY QUICKLY WITHOUT THE USE OF COMMANDS OR PORTALS) Move citybuilding to its own map, don't curate it by plots, curate it by people building cities, so adding highways and rail systems to make it like a true-to-life world ON ITS OWN MAP.

• Upvote 1

The quality of what will go beside spawn isn't necessarily more encouraging to new players than a spawn city. And I believe either way that the spawn region would reach the render distance and it would never be possible to see free build area without moving from log in spot.

Spawncity needs to be changed. It gets plauged with cringe inducing buildings. we also need seperate end and redstone biomes. I would like maybe 4 different sections. One would be fantasy worldpaint. Another realistic worldpaint. Regular gen and a mix of all 3. or Just all 3 in a mix for a world. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

I'm curious as to whether our feedback has been helpful so far for the Creative Admins. Are there any points people have brought up which we could discuss a bit more to help you decide on revision 31?

This is my not so sneaky way of asking Bardidley, Hollifer and Toker what they think so far on any of the feedback. ;-)

First off I am very happy to see the amount of feedback already.

Everyone has good input here, I will provide my 2 cents:

Spawn City: Have another world for just serious cities, and then keep spawn city for more casual builds

This is a good idea, but I am concerned it would segregate the already small server population. I feel if we were to do this the main world would almost be empty. If you take a look at the map you will notice that cities are pretty much the only major attractions. If you take the major city builds to other "worlds" the map would look quite empty, wouldn't it?

Mumberthrax and TokenChineseguy: I like your ideas of perhaps not having the spawn completely surrounded by plots and having one side open to the world demonstrating that there are free build areas and not just plots. I also love the idea of having a harbour for ship/boat builds, they could be set up with nerdplot for easy claiming.

If possible, it would be better to have the features of this world (no flying, no creative inventory) wrapped into a game mode command. I'd spend my time building in the same world as everyone else then. :-)

Barlimore: that is a great idea. A tech will have to give their input on this idea as to whether or not it is possible to do via a command.

Make the end larger and give more space for scifi or outer space builds, or just make a space world like in rev 29. I would really enjoy being able to make a much more space builds (star destroyers, space stations, planets, etc)

DoctorTim58: This is easy to do and I have no problem having a HUGE space world again, we didn't this rev because we figured everyone was sick of space :tongue:

Give us Hints to the Theme like you die for Rev 29 in 28

Heartshine: Once we start working on things we can drop some hints! *maybe :laugh:

JCS617 & Electifried: Spleef tournaments would be fun, we have an amazing arena built by nevastop but unfortunately it rarely gets used. If enough interest can be gathered then I imagine we could work something out - even if it is only once a month.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, cut the spawn city, plots make us unwelcoming, curated cities are nice, but unless it's actively curated to accommodate the many different types of land you would see in the real world, they always just look like plots... It also implies that our server is exclusively a city build server. Allow anything to be built surrounding spawn(WHICH SHOULD BE OPEN AND EASY TO EXIT WHERE BUILDING CAN BEGIN REALLY QUICKLY WITHOUT THE USE OF COMMANDS OR PORTALS)

The quality of what will go beside spawn isn't necessarily more encouraging to new players than a spawn city. And I believe either way that the spawn region would reach the render distance and it would never be possible to see free build area without moving from log in spot.

XkinOEC, tobylane: in the past we have found this to be a mess, the last time this was done was on rev 28 and the area around spawn became a dumping ground for derp and most builds were grief bait. I remember on a weekly basis having to remove derp, nsfw builds and fixing grief around spawn. Having something setup around spawn really does make for a tidy looking spawn. Like I said above, we could compromise and have a section "open to the world" and see what happens with it.

Spawncity needs to be changed. It gets plauged with cringe inducing buildings. we also need seperate end and redstone biomes. I would like maybe 4 different sections. One would be fantasy worldpaint. Another realistic worldpaint. Regular gen and a mix of all 3. or Just all 3 in a mix for a world. 

poketoke: For the amount of active players we have, we are focusing on one main World. I'm pretty sure we are going to be creating another mixed World Paint and Naturally generated terrain. We enjoy WP'ing so there is no issue there :happy:

Casual suggestion for spawn city: have only half the side of spawn be plotted out, and keep the other half as free land to demonstrate that most of the map is free-to-build.

Schererererer: So far, this seems to reflect what others are saying too. I am on board with it. We will definitely be discussing our layout options in regards to this. :cool:

I will post again here later on once we have gathered more feedback and if players want to continue giving their input/ideas that would be great!

Thanks Everyone!

• Upvote 1

Thanks to everyone who gave their input :)

Spawn City: Have another world for just serious cities, and then keep spawn city for more casual builds

I'm agreeing with Bard here: City regions can get messy but it wouldn't help the server any to have our main attractions all in a separate world. It would also be tough and a bit unfair to try to determine/judge who builds the "serious" cities. Not to mention, it would add a ton of confusion for new players. 

What about just having spawn city on one side of spawn, and then having just everything off on the other side of the spawn being freebuild?

That's a great solution for helping newer players realize that this isn't a plot based server, thanks. Having a circular area around spawn seemed like a nice idea at first, but to a new player it really does just look like we're a plot based server if someone doesn't bother to take a minute to fly around. The issues we had during revs where free build areas were exposed from spawn was a lot of scattered, derpy small builds and a ton of grief on a daily basis. We'll see what we can do to prevent those issues and also make it more clear to a new player that we're not a plot based server. 

I'm in favor of more beautiful worldpainTED maps. Vanilla has grown boring after half a decade of Minecraft.

Also, ideas for a new addition to Spawn City. Perhaps if the city could be built next to a sea, large lake or ocean, there could be a harbor area complete with piers which can be claimed for players to build ships in. I think this would be a welcome addition seeing how C loves their ships.

I LOVE this idea! We have so many great ship builders, and water and ships and whatnot would look really great in Spawn City :D I can see this happening next rev!

Currently, we just expand The End when needed. Personally, what I'm afraid of are MASSIVE unused claims from people who get a little too excited about all the space :P. We had this issue in Rev 29 a lot. In my opinion, it should start small to prevent this, and then be expanded when needed (like we just did recently), similar to the Overworld. 

I wouldn't mind seeing spleef tournaments every now and then. Spleef seems pretty popular on the servers so a good spleef tournament/competition would be a really good addition.

I definitely would like to add 1 or 2 more regular events like Speed Build to C. This would probably call for an entirely separate poll. If we did add another event, I'd like to see how many people on the server would actually attend them. Elytra races also sound super fun, especially with these snazzy powered elytras we have now. 

It's really not hard to notice that we're a free build server if new players would take a minute to fly from Spawn. However, this rev we plan on coming up with a good way to compromise. Somehow have a Spawn City, and also make it clear and visible that we're mainly a free build server (and hopefully keep out all those derpy little builds that tend to pop up around Spawn and Spawn City).

Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to post their feedback. We're looking forward to implementing all the great ideas and getting started on Rev 31! 

• Upvote 2

I've been reading all these as they come, and i've loved seeing the feedback. It really does give us good direction for the revision. Feel free to keep posting any ideas you might have throughout the next few weeks.

Casual suggestion for spawn city: have only half the side of spawn be plotted out, and keep the other half as free land to demonstrate that most of the map is free-to-build.

Mumberthrax & schererererer: I'm unsure how such an obvious solution managed to fly over my head. Again, as the other two said this sounds like a great plan.

Tedbear: The deathmatch games sound interesting. You'll have to show me how that works a little more some time, to see if it's something that would be good to run monthly as an event perhaps :)

I've said it before, I'll say it again, cut the spawn city, plots make us unwelcoming, curated cities are nice, but unless it's actively curated to accommodate the many different types of land you would see in the real world, they always just look like plots... It also implies that our server is exclusively a city build server. Allow anything to be built surrounding spawn(WHICH SHOULD BE OPEN AND EASY TO EXIT WHERE BUILDING CAN BEGIN REALLY QUICKLY WITHOUT THE USE OF COMMANDS OR PORTALS) Move citybuilding to its own map, don't curate it by plots, curate it by people building cities, so adding highways and rail systems to make it like a true-to-life world ON ITS OWN MAP.

XkinOEC & tobylane: As suggested by Mumberthrax and schererererer: having half of spawn openly facing towards free-build and half spawn city might be a good solution to this. We'll surely keep this in mind while building spawn, I think visibility is important too.

I thought this was a good idea, but I hadn't previously considered what point Bardidley made: I don't think we should split half the player base into another world, and doing so would wipe all the beautiful cities off the normal map. Perhaps keeping a city board with people looking for help or interested in collaboration may be useful.

JCS617 & Electrified: Spleef would be great, i'm glad to see someone else showing interest in this. Like Toker said, perhaps we could get another poll separately on what players what to see out of these Spleef events.

Spawncity needs to be changed. It gets plauged with cringe inducing buildings. we also need seperate end and redstone biomes.

Poketoke: I see a common theme with wanting to separate the redstone world and "space". We will likely discuss getting a separate end world for space builds. I don't know what to say about the cringey builds in spawn city, as we try to keep them cleared up as much as we can. If you think of maybe some suggestions to aid that, let me know.

Barlimore: I sure hope that's possible. If it is, it'd probably be worth getting it in a command that has two settings and not just a toggle, so that we can use entry commands to set regions to only allow that style of building. I'll get out the whip for when we bring this up to Challenger. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

Bardidley, Toker and Hollifer, thank you for responding. I appreciate it even if things did get borderline weird. ;-)

I'll get out the whip for when we bring this up to Challenger. :biggrin:

Ninja and I were talking a bit earlier about his suggestion to let serious cities have their own multiverse world. Personally, I can see why the three of you feel it's best to avoid doing that for the reasons you've stated and I agree. Without speaking for Ninja, I'll say that from our chat it seems that both the three of you and Ninja seem to want the same thing, for cities to be celebrated and shown off.

I only have one suggestion so far on how to go about doing that and it would be to use the place system that is in use during the PvE livemaps. For Creative, this would mean that any overworld warp would be visible on the livemap, so people could be drawn to visiting them that little bit more.

Hopefully someone else can suggest some other ways that cities could be made more prominent somehow since they seem to be some of the star attractions to the map, amongst other builds and warps. Maybe some of the city owners can share some thoughts?

Edit: Suggestion for an event - bobsled race with boats on ice. Inspired by Phil's road here.

Edited by Barlimore

Spawn City could have its own world, but if it could get stuck to one side of spawn instead of all around it, that would work too!

I think Pixel Art should get it's own world - I don't like seeing giant pictures taking up space in areas I wanted to build in, but I also like seeing them because people do really cool pixel art.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few suggestions I'd like to add.

1. Less jungle, I rarely, if ever see any jungle builds. In the cases where we do get jungle there should be more varied jungle, steep mountaineous jungles and things of that nature. Maybe that would make more people want to build there. 

2. More ocean early in the rev, given the amount of people who want to build boats and stuff I think this would be good. 

3. The mountains were great this rev, although I want more tempered mountains a la machu pichu (I really want to build machu pichu :D)
4. Custom biomes! Mangrove biome in particular!

I'll think of more later, all in all I thought last rev was great!

• Upvote 1