Community Survey: Public Modded Minecraft server run by Nerd.nu.

Mumberthrax

Do you want to play on a modded server run by nerd.nu?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to play on a free/public modded Minecraft server run by nerd.nu?

2. 2. Have you ever played modded minecaft before?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know / not sure
  3. 3. Would you play a modded nerd.nu server with primarily aesthetic mods? (e.g. chisel, harvestcraft, carpenters blocks, extrabiomesxl, etc.)

• Yes
    • No
    • Neutral / I don't know
    • Yes I would, but I would rather play a popular modpack
    • No I would not. I would rather play a popular modpack.
  4. 4. Which makes the most sense for a minecraft gaming community to expand into?

• Modded minecraft (e.g. custom server pack, or popular FTB / Technic / ATLauncher modpack)
    • Counter-Strike Global Offensive (a first person shooter game)
    • Some other sandbox-style game (e.g. terraria, space engineers, etc.)
    • Something else
  5. 5. Would you be willing to help moderate/administrate a modded minecraft server for nerd.nu?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe / neutral / I don't know
    • Only moderate, not admin
    • Only admin, not moderate
  6. 6. What sort of server would you prefer to play on with mods?

• Creative
    • Survival with PvP allowed
    • Survival with PvP disallowed
    • Just an event for a few weeks or a month
    • Something else
    • Neutral / I don't know
    • None
    • I don't care, just give me mods!

Please fill out the survey so that the nerd.nu staff know what the community would enjoy playing.

For those of you new to the idea of modded minecraft, you can try out various mods from the minecraft forums, or try the super easy to use modpack launchers by the Feed The Beast team, the Technic team, ATLauncher, or Curse (the company that hosts the minecraft forums and wiki). The popular/featured modpacks are usually pretty well balanced and work without many issues.

(if you go with the Feed The Beast [FTB] launcher, a very good introductory modpack is the Direwolf20 pack)

If you want to tinker with mods on your own (it can be a little bit tricky if you are new to it) I highly recommend using the open source MultiMC Launcher. It makes everything very very easy to keep contained so that if you make a mistake you can easily undo it or work in a separate instance. If you tinkered with minecraft mods in ages past, know that it is much simpler and less challenging than it used to be - Forge is basically the main thing that allows mods to be easily dropped in and out of a minecraft instance, and there are no more data value conflicts when multiple mods are installed.

(NB: this poll and post were made by me, Mumberthrax. I am not a nerd.nu staff member. Voting in this poll does not necessarily guarantee any particular action on the part of nerd.nu staff/administration)

Thanks for taking this survey! Feel free to share your comments below!

Edit2: to allay concerns about security issues, the FTB launcher, Technic launcher, and ATlauncher are all three open source with code hosted on github. AFAIK your password/credentials never go anywhere except to mojang's login servers when using these launchers. The curse voice launcher doesn't even let you input your mc password iirc.

Edit: To be clear, nerd.nu uses server plugins that are sometimes called mods, but client mods are what we're talking about here. Here's a video series as an example of what the direwolf20 modpack is like:

Edited by Mumberthrax
  • Upvote 1

If creative has aesthetic mods I would be super ecstatic.

There's a lot of stuff I can't build on C since it just won't work aesthetically since we don't have the mods.

I could make do with other blocks but it just doesn't work most of the time :(

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Regret to inform you Herr_Fawkes, our player base is barely suited for 2/3 servers we host... Maybe if the player base wasn't almost entirely on P it would make sense, but I've never seen more than 2 people on pvp, and C is empty for 80% of the time I'm on it. We've really done nothing to bring in new players to stay in years... we've just kept inventing little event things to keep each server slightly busier with people from one of the other 2 servers or people who left the server. This concept of modded minecraft would bring in a ton of new people, because despite what you say, it's hard to find a good modded minecraft server anywhere that isn't hosted by a 12 year old who thinks mod aboose is fun...

• Upvote 1

If we were to replace PvP with a modded server, I'd be all for it, but a fourth server is too much of a stretch. Bringing people in is a nice thought, but PvP didn't bring in anyone. It's a ghost town. I want to see a bigger playerbase, and if a modded server is really the way to go, then I'd support it so long as we got rid of PvP.

• Upvote 2