Timed bans for P for minor incidents?

I understand the timed bans are working as supposed to on PVP. Could be good thing to get timed bans to use on P for minor stuff like chat behaviour and most grief types. Almost for everything but x-rayers and massive scale griefers.

When I joined Nerd I found the public ban appeal process to be weird and humiliating to players and slightly off-putting. Publicizing it is almost as if it was for entertainment for players (while there's still the rule to not discuss bans in public, which contradicts the whole public ban appeal process).

As such timed bans could make the servers more welcoming. Those banned also know exactly when they can return to play and would probably be more likely to do so, since I'm sure the "must appeal" is turning people away.

The idea of a jail at spawn/somewhere has also been tossed around, which is worth discussing aswell.

I like the idea of timed bans.

We had a jail on Survival for a long time, it was great when you couldn't catch someone's attention to stop them from griefing (no /cmsg, or they don't tend to read chat) but i've seen it devolve into people taunting players they've jailed so it's one of those things where you've got to make sure everyone's on the same page about appropriate language/actions (i.e. just because it's a jail does not mean you get to role-play as a bad cop!!)

The timed bans though would be nice for certain things. more like a "time out" than a full ban - things like bad language or trolling, where they may not need the full ban but just some time to chill before coming back. Then we don't have to remember and they don't have to appeal

Jails are an interesting concept. I know rev...15? when GenHam was next door (cmchappells build) and someone took over a corner and started building in it. They seemed to completely ignore chat, and kicks. I joked at the time to buzzie who was handling it that he should just surround the player in bedrock until they spoke to him (not knowing that jails had been a thing in the past). Something like that may be useful in certain cases, and i would expect that if it were implemented staff would conduct themselves appropriately. 

• Upvote 1

We used to have a jail under spawn one rev a while back because something in the usual mod tools wasn't working at the time (forgot what).  I've seen this implemented on C a lot more often - I think the idea is to relocate an offending player into the jail (it is pretty much a cage of which bedrock is a major building material) as a way to get their attention, then talk to them, then release them back where they were and have them go on their way.  It's not frequently used on P, and iirc has never been since I was made admin, but maybe someone familiar with its use on C can weigh in.  I agree with Tharine and Silver that if it's used it is imperative that staff conduct themselves well, and I hope significant effort will be put into ensuring this is so.

Timed bans might remove that possibility and make dealing with minor offenses cleaner.  I have yet to issue one on PvP myself.

(Also for the record I detest encasing players in bedrock on the traverseable map to get their attention.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Former Staff

Any comments from padmins for this?

I have added this to the padmin trello for us to discuss in our next mumble meeting.

This is a really interesting change to consider. It'd cut down on some of the forum-side handling of bans. How did the discussions go?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Former Staff

This is a bump, you should get bumps checked out just in case. However here I am just looking for a reply for Zomise's post please.

Guest Former Staff

I would also like a response to this though.

Well in the interest of bribing people to bump this topic further, I will offer an elytra with mending to anyone who can guess the date which this topic will have a resolution for, or nearest will win. Please enter your guesses below with the date (I'll be going by BST).

The prize will be delivered by hand on P, wherever you're based!

Guest Former Staff

We had a mumble meeting a few nights ago and this was one of our talking points. All of us are on board for timed bans and have decided to use them. We let the heads know and they told us that all servers would be rolling it out at once with the same policy. We are simply waiting on the heads to get this implemented, as well as any tech work that needs to be done.

Ah, it'll be interesting to see that rolled out across all servers at once with the same policy. While I appreciate you responding to Zomise's post, might I be a little cheeky and ask for a way in future where we don't have to bump topics so much and over such a period of time to get a response please? We don't always need to hear specifics, just that issues aren't being ignored. :-)

Ah, it'll be interesting to see that rolled out across all servers at once with the same policy. While I appreciate you responding to Zomise's post, might I be a little cheeky and ask for a way in future where we don't have to bump topics so much and over such a period of time to get a response please? We don't always need to hear specifics, just that issues aren't being ignored. :-)

Complain at me until it gets done. I'm still learning the Padmin ropes, but after last week's meeting I have a better grip on things and will be able to respond in a much timelier manner.