Upvotes/Downvotes

Draykhar

Forum Upvotes/Downvotes  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Get rid of the forum Upvote/Downvotes?

• Yes, Please find a way to get rid of these.
    • No, do not find a way to get rid of these.
    • I do not care either way

Noticed a lot of people complaining about the upvote/downvote system on here, and how it doesn't really set up for apt discussion, largely for the same reasons the subreddit does. Figured I'd do a little crowd polling and better see what peoples opinions of it are. 

• Upvote 2

The buttons aren't necessary, though in my opinion they do not distract much from conversations. They're positioned in such a way I don't really notice them unless I look for them.

I think this is fair, and a completely understandable response. I feel it's important to continue to foster much greater discussion in any way we can, and whilst the upvotes/downvotes don't immediately distract from the conversation, they open up an avenue for people to not fully voice their opinion on matters. I would much rather hear qualitative responses (however simple or detailed) than see hard numbers on points of discussion. Numbers work well when you're trying to gauge the amount of people that agree with something, but it doesn't tell you to what degree they're in agreement or what their proper personal opinions of said point are. This is doubly so more of an issue when it comes to downvoting, as this is an avenue where people can express disagreement, but not voice why or provide countering debates. In an ideal world, people who provided a vote would comment in addition to doing so, but we don't really operate in such an atmosphere.

Guest Former Staff

I don't mind the buttons. My only concern is where people use them instead of engaging within a conversation.

I would like a clear explanation of the use of this system. From my perspective it simply gives petiole an easy way to agree or disagree with a statement without needing to clutter the forum with terse responses that would need to be collaged by the person interested.

I'd like it if each user's name had their "score" (=upvotes-downvotes), much like eBay's seller system, instead of having to open each user's profile.

• Upvote 2

There is concern that user's use the buttons rather than engaging in conversation. I would posit that such "shy" users would still not voice an opinion if you took away their current outlet for involvement, further alienating them.

My earlier point still stands that even vocal users will not feel the need to repeat an already stated point, and the buttons give an uncluttered method to showing support.

• Upvote 1

From a completely ideological perspective I would be against the voting system; the way I see it, every opinion is worth considering and should not be made less worthy of such because it has a highly negative score.  Perhaps the post really is lousy and deserving of it, but I've noticed perfectly good posts on Reddit that attain negative points because of the Reddit user who posts them, and that is something I do not wish to see happen here.

Admittedly that was my concern from even before these forums went live, but as time passed I've actually not minded them as much as I worried I would.  

• Upvote 1

I'd like there to be a way to unvote, like you can on Reddit. A few times already I've upvoted a post (for lack of a better term), then later reconsidered the point and wanted to change my vote but was unable to do so. With the poll system, you can delete your vote and try again. Something similar would be nice.

I feel this topic did not have enough time being discussed before a decision was made.

I would like a clear explanation of the use of this system. From my perspective it simply gives petiole an easy way to agree or disagree with a statement without needing to clutter the forum with terse responses that would need to be collaged by the person interested.

I'd like it if each user's name had their "score" (=upvotes-downvotes), much like eBay's seller system, instead of having to open each user's profile.

I agree

So, now what is going to happen is a new topic starts... Mastercommathe posts something there and I happen to agree with exactly what he is saying so I do not reply. Then people start saying they don't agree with him and voicing the reasons why they don't agree. So Now it appears that the community is more so on the opposition. But in reality they were not, they just agreed with what mastercommathe was saying and felt that nothing need be added.

However, with that said if I have to quote someone and say I agree then so be it. I just feel like that's more clutter than an up vote.

Umm jcll, 16/13 is not really the point at which you call a poll.

Could we perhaps not? You know, until its been an amount of time over a couple of days?

I like them, I no longer have to reply saying "Me too", I can just upvote the poor fool that shares my views

• Upvote 1

Umm jcll, 16/13 is not really the point at which you call a poll.

Could we perhaps not? You know, until its been an amount of time over a couple of days?

I like them, I no longer have to reply saying "Me too", I can just upvote the poor fool that shares my views

c4 the vote was 15/6 when I turned off the system. But yes. I do agree it is too close to call at the moment. And if the community does want it back we can always turn it back on. Perhaps lets leave this thread open for a week and make a call then.

Didnt really needed it and i dont really miss it

also i have downvoted far to many ppl just because i wanted to quote them and my mouse spazzed out

I think this touches on a different note as well. Should we end up deciding that voting is to be re-enabled, I think it would be beneficial to have the ability to "take back" votes cast, change one's vote, etc.

I rather like what some subreddits do when they remove the downvote button entirely, Because it makes people actually think about whether they should or shouldn't upvote.

Then again, there are a lot of people that just upvote everything in sight.....

Why not an "agree" button to make it easier to gauge the number of people that support an idea? (Although I am aware it would not be relevant in some topics)

Guest Former Staff
Why not an "agree" button to make it easier to gauge the number of people that support an idea? (Although I am aware it would not be relevant in some topics)

Some people make multiple points within a post and I don't always agree with every point, I imagine it may be a similar situation for others too.

Some people make multiple points within a post and I don't always agree with every point, I imagine it may be a similar situation for others too.

I think in a situation where I didn't fully agree, I would quote it and add on what I want. I use the upvote when I agree and feel that I have nothing more to offer to the discussion than what was said in the comment I upvoted.

It's pointless to add an "agree" button, it would serve the exact same function as the damn arrows. People are upset because they don't like getting disagreed with, and the arrows do nothing but visually show whether or not your post is well liked. Personally, I read every thing on here, regardless of whether or not it's in the red or the green. IF the arrows were to there hide posts or get members banned then of course I would be in favor of having them removed, but of course that's not the case. Rather than "spamming" posts to say you agree with someone, a rep system allows you to show support without distracting from the main discussion. It's been a staple of forums for literally DECADES.

• Upvote 1

What the upvote/downvote does is allow people to feel they are contributing to a discussion. The more ways we have to give people a way to contribute, no matter how small, the better I say. I feel like I will be spamming people's posts with simple assent/dissent comments, but don't have another avenue anymore. I really think the pros outweigh the cons here. So from the discussion above I've gathered what I think we all consider the pros and cons to be below:

Pros:

-Removes clutter from simple assent/dissent comments.

-Get's members who are less vocal to contribute in some way to discussions.

-A quick easy way to gauges reaction to an opinion without a formal poll

Cons:

-takes up space on the page (about 1%)

-Annoying fore people who have difficulty clicking nearby buttons by mistake.

-Does not encourage less vocal members to become more vocal.

Did I miss anything? Add your own!

• Upvote 1