• Get rid of the special spawners
    • Keep special spawners but add an announce sign like the portals
    • I have no opinion on special spawners
  10. 10. Elytras

• The cost of the elytra was too high
    • The cost of the elytra was too low
    • The cost of the elytra was fair
    • I have no opinion about the cost of an elytra

A bit outside of the questionnaire: could we have flat bedrock once again? I remember this being a thing when I joined and never seen it since... I loved it however. Makes things neater.

Guest Former Staff

Here's a bit of feedback I've remembered to note down over time.

Portal Claims
Would we be able to have clearer guidelines for portal development, please? Just enough that clearly defines whether someone is protected under normal land claim rules or whether a certain level of development is expected within a certain timeframe given that it is a heavily limited resource. While Raven Rock and Haven benefited from the North portal being made available, I feel it could have gone better and it would be nice to avoid such situations in future where there are no guidelines.

Mapworld
Would mapworld be able to allow people to use world edit, or failing this, have plots merely a few layers above the void to avoid the need for excessive digging projects?

Livemap & Exploration
People always ask when the livemap will be available so provided that rendering is completed then I would like to propose requirements for the livemap to be available.

A bit like the six(?) unique trees on the map if more unique builds could be created possibly in a submission of sorts and hidden around the map then if people can share screenshots on the subreddit of finding a build, when someone discovers the final unique build then that would have encouraged some decent exploration of the map and rewarded with the livemap.

This map was completely mapped in 9 days into the revision and the livemap went up after 15 days so unless the unique builds are all discovered sooner then a similar timeframe could still happen for the livemap possibly?

A few notes about how I voted:

I like the custom trees, but I think we should mix vanilla and custom trees together. Not sure how this would look. Might help with variety and ease land clearing.

I feel like the iron spawners are both expensive and too cheap at the same time!? The conflict with wither skulls made it harder for people who play at prime time to get iron spawners. The emerald ore requirement was a highly accessible requirement that anyone could fulfill on their own time schedule. I would suggest dropping the wither skull requirement, keeping the emerald ore requirement, and maybe bring back the villager requirement but instead you have to kill villagers to get a special drop from them? Set the probability to match the number of villagers you'd normally need for one iron pod. That would bring back the need (and challenge) of villagers, but prevent people from collecting large amounts to redeem.

This map was completely mapped in 9 days into the revision and the livemap went up after 15 days so unless the unique builds are all discovered sooner then a similar timeframe could still happen for the livemap possibly?

What about making it interactive for the people who like to explore: when the users manage to post a full map to the subreddit or forums, then it's declared that the server's intrepid explorers have successfully mapped the landscape, and the livemap goes live at that time?

• Upvote 2

Why can't we just have the black map to start with? Then we can follow it in real time how players reveal it? Then you could also see what are the unexplored areas.

A few notes about how I voted:

I like the custom trees, but I think we should mix vanilla and custom trees together. Not sure how this would look. Might help with variety and ease land clearing.

I feel like the iron spawners are both expensive and too cheap at the same time!? The conflict with wither skulls made it harder for people who play at prime time to get iron spawners. The emerald ore requirement was a highly accessible requirement that anyone could fulfill on their own time schedule. I would suggest dropping the wither skull requirement, keeping the emerald ore requirement, and maybe bring back the villager requirement but instead you have to kill villagers to get a special drop from them? Set the probability to match the number of villagers you'd normally need for one iron pod. That would bring back the need (and challenge) of villagers, but prevent people from collecting large amounts to redeem.

It is very well possible to mix in regular vanilla trees with the custom ones, all it takes it adding the schematics to the rest of them.

As for the spawners, originally I wanted to remove that requirement because people were hoarding them, and with infinite spawners, people would also forget about them. This all added to the ongoing lag problem... so it made sense to eliminate that component with something similar lore wise. Now that most mobs drop their own heads, I'm sure something could be configured that all mobs have an extremely rare chance to drop -something- that could possibly replace wither skulls.

Why can't we just have the black map to start with? Then we can follow it in real time how players reveal it? Then you could also see what are the unexplored areas.

That's a cool idea, contingent on whether or not the livemap plugin supports such functionality. I would suggest it should come with something like a 24-hour delay before the sections appear, though, just to reduce its impact on location competition in the first day of the rev.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a wild idea: how about if we spawn people in random locations? No pre-built spawn area. Everybody has to figure out how to survive their first night on their own. Then people can find each other and build cities. It would enhance the "Player vs Environment" feel of the game.

I like this idea.  It will make the first few days really crazy but still provide some challenge to everyone on their first join.

My main criticism with the map was the huge ocean around spawn. I don't mind having large bodies of water for easy boat travel and island builds, but I think having all but one side of spawn surrounded by ocean was a bit much, as it made land travel less convenient and horses a lot less useful, in addition to making the initial land rush more difficult and confusing. I think there should be at most one side of spawn leading to ocean, sorta like the Rev 15 spawn area.

My main criticism with the map was the huge ocean around spawn. I don't mind having large bodies of water for easy boat travel and island builds, but I think having all but one side of spawn surrounded by ocean was a bit much, as it made land travel less convenient and horses a lot less useful, in addition to making the initial land rush more difficult and confusing. I think there should be at most one side of spawn leading to ocean, sorta like the Rev 15 spawn area.

I'd second most of that, the only thing I would say with hindsight is that boating around is a safe way of exploring without having to worry too much about starving. Whilst boats are fast for travel, I still prefer horses, roads and rails, which the ocean disrupted & affected exploration and building. 2 o'clock to 5 o'clock on the map is virtually untouched which is a shame.

Could we perhaps get a magic dispenser with bread or cooked potatoes at spawn rather than melons, with a cooldown if necessary? It's just so tedious repeatedly eating when you're started and trying not to die. Bread & cooked potatoes can't be abused as far as I can tell, while giving good saturation.