Nerd.nu Community Meeting

Silversunset01

Hey everyone, it's that time again where we hold a nerd.nu community meeting! 

Right now the meeting is schedule for Saturday October 8th at 6pm EDT. This seems to be the time when the most people are around. We'll be using mumble (you can download mumble here, and connect to mumble.nerd.nu, when it asks for a port use 6162).

If there is anything specifically you would like to see discussed, or have questions on, feel free to post below or PM Sir_Didymus or myself and we'll make sure to add that to the agenda. I would like to keep the meeting to an hour if possible, so if we aren't able to get to all topics during that time we'll take them down and follow up afterwards with answers in this post. 

Hope to see you all there!

I won't be there, but I really hope new player retention is brought up. It's obviously an issue - the new players are dropping faster than in past revs - so something is definitely up. I can't say if the long rules are the problem, but I remember when I tried to get my brother to play on the server with me, he joined, took a look at all the signs, said "too many rules" and left. This was back in rev12, so the rules are a bit simpler now from then, but I feel like we can make it more concise. I am aware that moderators are afraid of rule lawyering by the banned players, but if you take a look at the most recent bans, most of them are pretty black and white and the mods often screenshot proof.

Edited by jllmprrt
  • Upvote 1

Unfortunately i won't be able to attend the meeting but i would be very grateful if someone could bring up the topic of rail/road systems above  Y=62 over oceans.

Especially with the, thankfully, increased view distance transport systems spoil the ocean view for large parts of the map. PvE Rev. 18 has a beautiful central ocean of which the view is interrupted at level 80 by the LITE rail system. Especially after the update in view distance a large percentage of this ocean is rendered with rails in sight.

I truly appreciate the effort put forth in and effectiveness of the rail system but am afraid the aesthetic impact on the carefully selected and partially created map we all play on is to great.

Unfortunately i won't be able to attend the meeting but i would be very grateful if someone could bring up the topic of rail/road systems above  Y=62 over oceans.

Especially with the, thankfully, increased view distance transport systems spoil the ocean view for large parts of the map. PvE Rev. 18 has a beautiful central ocean of which the view is interrupted at level 80 by the LITE rail system. Especially after the update in view distance a large percentage of this ocean is rendered with rails in sight.

I truly appreciate the effort put forth in and effectiveness of the rail system but am afraid the aesthetic impact on the carefully selected and partially created map we all play on is to great.

What about them would you like brought up as far as what to do about them?

That is the nature of building on a server with other people, we can't really tell people what to build or how to build it. What one person finds unpleasant another may think looks perfect.

While i totally understand and respect this the transport system plays a special role on the server, many people are involved with the build and because of it's server wide size almost anyone playing on it is affected.

I'm not trying to bring up how the system should look and merely think a discussion about it's trajectory should be possible.

Edit: spelling

Edited by AnotherSteve
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to discuss a modded minecraft server/event during the meeting. I'd like to both here and during the meeting invite players to offer their opinions through the poll on this thread: https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/4132-community-survey-public-modded-minecraft-server-run-by-nerdnu/

I'm specifically curious as to what level of interest our active playerbase has in playing modded minecraft together, and if there is sufficient interest whether the head admins are willing to support an experimental modded server attempt. (I'm thinking a brief event).

I'd like to discuss an event idea I submitted previously (warning, long-winded post link which i should have re-written to be more succinct: https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/3937-extra-hard-mode-18-survival/) and work as a community to design something that would be fun and engaging.

I'd also like to discuss the suggestion forums, the /suggestion-box command, and ways that we can help the community to be more engaged in sharing their creative intelligence toward creating the kind of servers and community that we would enjoy.

Guest Former Staff

As I was unable to attend the meeting after all due to unexpected family matters, I would like to listen to the meeting. When will the recording be available?

Just a heads up, it's around 2 and a half hours long.