Welcome message for new players (like on C)

It's the default config for NerdSpawn to generate that welcome message. I don't know why the old admins originally changed it to the dash from the default welcome message - maybe they thought it was spammy? I know I mentioned to buzzie once that it'd be nice to have the default message as it seemed to encourage a more warm welcome on S having it than just the dash, but i don't remember if he said why they didn't change it back then.

The dash has been on P ever since it was introduced from what I remember - I don't think we ever had a "Welcome <X> to the servers!" welcome message on P during my time.

It was brought up before when I was a Padmin; at the time I think we either rejected it or didn't act on it (forgot which).  For my own opinion at the time, I thought that the knowledge of the dash signifying a new player logging in had become part of P culture - even though it was an unintentional plugin setting, it was one whose knowledge of it became part of what defined the P community, and I didn't want to lose that by switching it out.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Because I didn't realize I hadn't posted. We've talked about it and I think for now we're going to leave it as the dash greeting. Buzzie's correct that at this point, it's part of P Culture. Besides, we're so very friendly that the players welcoming the new person works just the same way. There's also a "Welcome to PvE!" in the alert rotation. For now, we're not going to change it.