Community Meeting 2016-10-08: Documentation

Sir_Didymus

Hey all,

Here are the relevant links from the community meeting that took place on Saturday 8th October:

Meeting Recording

Agenda & Meeting Notes

Community Survey Responses

September Staff Meeting: Public Notes

Thanks to all staff and players who were in attendance, and anyone else who takes the time to listen through the recording and read this documentation.

If you'd like to add to any of the topics raised, or anything mentioned in these documents - please feel free to do so here in this post.

• Upvote 1

I'm disappointed that i don't see anything about my recommended idea for the discussion even though it was requested due to my forced hiatus due to hurricane Matthew. 

https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/4261-preserve-nerdnus-greatest-creations-forever-click-here-to-find-out-how/

Apologies, there were some topics i missed adding. I'm not sure what you're looking for discussion-wise, if people want to save copies of build schematics they can do so whenever they choose.

No. I was looking to discuss having a server sanctioned account on http://www.minecraft-schematics.com/ for players to volunteer and submit their builds to in order to contribute our ideas and creations upon the general minecraft community and not just ourselves, in a way our builds live on and never die or get erased when a new rev launches. But also this will help advertise our server, which can help boost C's player count/activity and activity on p. 

I did a test submission with a taco truck that inerd71 built (uploaded with his approval ofcourse. All submitted builds must be volunteered by the builders) and it fared well with a 3.5/5 rating and 42 downloads so far.  

http://www.minecraft-schematics.com/schematic/8159/

I think it would be a very successful idea that would help our reputation on our servers.

• Upvote 2

Guest Former Staff

No. I was looking to discuss having a server sanctioned account on http://www.minecraft-schematics.com/ for players to volunteer and submit their builds to in order to contribute our ideas and creations upon the general minecraft community and not just ourselves, in a way our builds live on and never die or get erased when a new rev launches.

One aspect that was discussed during the meeting was using social media more proactively, beyond announcements to act as an advertising tool. It'd take mere moments to create a Nerd account for this schematics website and I do think that should be done if there is- and there is an apparent interest. Though we could go further and showcase some of the schematics added over twitter and whatnot because as TheNightsKing points out above me, I am also dubious that alone it'd drive interest in our servers. This way rather than have isolated attempts at advertising (as well as the other perks of using this website), we could tie it all in together and it would become a more concerted effort.

One aspect that was discussed during the meeting was using social media more proactively, beyond announcements to act as an advertising tool. It'd take mere moments to create a Nerd account for this schematics website and I do think that should be done if there is- and there is an apparent interest. Though we could go further and showcase some of the schematics added over twitter and whatnot because as TheNightsKing points out above me, I am also dubious that alone it'd drive interest in our servers. This way rather than have isolated attempts at advertising (as well as the other perks of using this website), we could tie it all in together and it would become a more concerted effort.

showcasing builds with links on twitter would also help.

but i'm optimistic about using the schematics website. The better the builds, the more recognized they will be and people can see where and who it was built by.

Would it realistically drive any interest in our servers though? I can't say I've ever looked at the details of any schematics on there. 

This is precisely the attitude that has driven us as far down as we are right now.

Don't ask "would it" ask "could it" 

Would it: Not necessarily a lot, but it may bring some.

Could it: yes, it has the ability to bring in several hundred people.

Since it could, the relatively small effort will be worth it to make even if it brings in just one more player, because one player is one person spreading the word of how awesome our servers are to their friends, or at least another person playing the game on our servers and enjoying their time.

I can't believe I am still saying this in 2016

• Upvote 1

Don't ask "would it" ask "could it" 

Since it could, the relatively small effort will be worth it to make even if it brings in just one more player, because one player is one person spreading the word of how awesome our servers are to their friends, or at least another person playing the game on our servers and enjoying their time.

On a similar note - there's been little more than major news only on the twitter account, do we want to use that more? I'm rather out of the scene now but I assume there are other areas that NerdNu already has presence but it's quiet?

Guest Former Staff

On a similar note - there's been little more than major news only on the twitter account, do we want to use that more? I'm rather out of the scene now but I assume there are other areas that NerdNu already has presence but it's quiet?

This was discussed during the meeting for exactly the reasons you've stated. The overall answer to your question is yes, everyone who contributed wanted to see social media used more or was open to it.