Monthly Event Notices - Input needed

Silversunset01

Seeing as October had a lot of events running at the same time and we kept ending up having to handle multiple stickies on the subreddit I threw out an "October Events" sticky.

My question is this: 

- Is this something you feel would be useful going forward

- Should we house the post entirely on the subreddit (which limits our formatting options)

- OR should we house the post on the forum and link to the subreddit (which gives more formatting options)

I've got ideas for how to do it, but i am looking for any thoughts you may have.

thanks!

- Silver

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

I feel that a recurring sticky on the subreddit each month is ideal since that is where every public announcement is already made. However, it is difficult to work out the chronological order of the events listed from the list by server view, if we could make use of some other calendar function and link to it within the subreddit post then that'd be great, even if it's our own forum calendar to begin with.

In terms of the sticky itself, this has been suggested elsewhere but I don't feel that it should be just for highlighting events and announcements. This could be a fairly significant way of updating the community on a monthly basis. An example of what else could be included in these sticky posts could be:

• Public notifications regarding the moderator nomination process (outlined in the draft).

I agree with Barlimore that it would work well as a monthly news digest - but I think that should maybe be done as a forum post instead (announcements subforum? with a persistent link somewhere on the subreddit), and have sticky slots on the subreddit used and cycled for individual announcements.  The rapid sticky cycling would keep the front page active - a monthly post would necessarily be sitting where it is for a month, in which time news of early events announced there can become outdated for most of the time the post is up, and I think that could be put somewhere else while subreddit stickies are occupied by posts that are more relevant in real time.  (Unless there is a fear that there are so many events happening in a short span of time that not all of them will be stickied long enough for visibility, in which case, something like what was done for October would also work nicely.)

We also have a subreddit header that we could leverage as another de facto sticky, though one that is less flashy or visible than the two we are afforded on the subreddit.  I would suggest placing a link to a recurring monthly post there as an unobtrusive persistent link - but the counter-argument that it is not as visible as a sticky on the subreddit is could be made there.