Allow setting up a monthly payment on the donation page

Personally I've been wanting this for a long time. Fundraisers are fine and all, but I'm probably not the only one, who'd like to make a small monthly donation.

Currently on http://nerd.nu/donate/ it's only possible to do one time donations. Make an option to also easily set up a monthly one. I've asked this before, but never heard anything about it.

Guest Former Staff

I think the only thing to consider with such a page would be for people to select either pre-determined monthly values as recommended "levels of support" to help with the running costs or remind them of the blank box one-time donate option for other values.

Maybe:

1. $10 per month.
  2. $20 per month. <- 12 months of this from one person would cover the primary server hosting fee for a month on the $238 value when we return to that cost.
  3. $30 per month.

How much did it cost per payment for us to receive? Since I'm thinking maybe having 5€ as the lowest suggested monthly dontation? (Which would be 60$ a year.)

It's possibly needed to set a minimum amount on it if possible so we don't get those joke donations of 0.01$ like during the fundraiser.

Guest Former Staff

I agree, it's a good idea to have set amounts with the continued option of a one-off donation box.

In terms of fees, I believe that they vary as some people are paying in USD, some in other currencies, some sent from other countries too. Paypal has some information on those fees here but it looks as though 3% is the around the average fee.

The paypal fee for debit and credit cards is 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. Setting aside rounding questions, going from an annual payment to equivalent monthly donation increases the donor's cost by $3.30. Most of our funding historically comes from large donors of ~$100 or more. For them, the the difference in cost between annual and monthly donations is small, though on the same order of magnitude as the original fee. Even one more person making a donation on this scale on the monthly scheme is enough to offset the total loss to fees, and a small monthly payment is more feasible/appetizing to many people. I'd say it's worth it.

As for a minimum monthly donation, $1 has a fee of 33%, $5 has a fee of 9%, $10 has a fee of 6% - I think $5 is a good enough point to balance appealing monthly values with transaction fee costs.

• Upvote 1