[AC -> PMC] Organising our modreqs a little better

Tharine

An idea I played around with earlier this revision, but didn't get set up because i'm apparently a dunce and didn't realise the full potential of Google Drive, from now on whenever I go to reset the modreq queue (using /mr-reset, for any that might need a reminder of the command) i'll be logging all of the modreqs on a spreadsheet found here. I'll open up a new sheet for each different instance of logging them, so that there are no overlaps in numbers/any inconsistencies with modreqs currently open at the time of logging can be found as closed in the following sheet. There might be easier ways to do this realistically, but this lets us access them at our own leisure without needing to go through someone else.

The current modreqs page can hold around 1000 current modreqs at a time, so at the very least I will be pulling the data whenever we reach around modreq #900. However, to making things easier for moderators, i'll probably be doing this much more often. cmchappell/draykhar: Pm me when either of you are about in IRC/Mumble to get added to edit perms, I didn't want to assume what e-mail you preferred to be added on for this.

And to open up a question for consideration (and because making two posts would be unnecessary), how do either of you feel about making the Survival modreq page open to the moderators? I feel it's of more benefit than detriment to let them have access to it, and i'd really rather we have as many avenues for easier moderation as possible. Also, I know we usually converse via -sadmins, but I wanted to eventually push this into the private mod chat section of the forums if we go ahead with deciding we want to do so. Two birds, one stone and all that. Let me know what you think~

Edited by Barlimore
Redacted URL.

Well, moderators can see it in game, so seeing out of game makes sense. Only thing is, you run a chance of the link getting leaked to the playerbase. Which, if info on modreqs is going to get out, it will with or without a link.

On the subject of a google docs for old modreqs, could be useful for referring back to. It isn't as much problem for us, because we don't get as many reqs daily.

It isn't long, but TL;DR: Both are good.

I know I'd appreciate moderators being able to see the modreq page. I know I field a good chunk of "what was my request for again" questions, making that more accessible would be highly beneficial, and - at worst - we can hide or password protect them if it becomes a serious issue.

Denevien covered the points I can think of. 

• 1 month later...

Took far longer than necessary for me to revisit this post, but i've been catching up on old threads in order to get everything organised for the new revision, and I feel this is a good one to prioritise updating. We'll move ahead with giving moderators access to the Survival modreqs page, maintaining the current address of [redacted] (or perhaps if a change in name is desired, that's fine).

I've moved this thread over to the Private Mod Chat section of the forums, so moderators are now free to view and comment on this thread. Emphasis is to be made on the fact that unlike the Creative and PvE modreqs pages, this is not a public webpage for modreqs. The reason it was removed in the first place (and the reason it will not revert back to being listed at [redacted]) is because players were making use of it to harass each other about accusation-based modreqs. I'm not sure why the link was removed from moderators entirely in the first place, as this webpage was intentionally very public prior to being taken down and mods were not at fault for its removal, but there is a distinct lack of trust in our moderators as a whole based on the actions of the few that i'm not going to support, especially when it begins to hinder everyone else's ability to moderate. That's obviously an entire other issue in itself, but i've heard this in other forms of conversation as one of the things to consider in making this link available to moderators, and i'm not in favour of that stance at all.

If you're found to be passing this link out to non-staff members for viewing, then we will understandably have to take your position as a staff member into consideration. PvP servers are a breeding ground for hacking accusations, and players need to feel comfortable reporting such issues to moderators without concern of being further targeted of the person they're reporting. Chat gets out of hand every now and again as well, and issues of sexual harassment (among other forms of harassment) are not uncommon at all - for similar reasons, this one particularly moreso than others, players should feel safe reporting such things to us. Obviously, most people go about doing the latter through means other than the modreq system, but this isn't always the case and the point still stands. If we were/are able to filter out the modreqs so that these more 'private' ones weren't visible, I would be more than happy to restore the regular Survival modreqs page, but as it stands, this needs to be kept to staff only for the aforementioned reasons - so please respect that, and do not pass this link onto non-staff.

Edited by Barlimore
Redacted URLs.
  • Upvote 3

Now logging modreqs for Revision 22 here. Will endeavour to update these as frequently as possible, however it's interesting to see how many modreqs we received in the first week  :happy:

Edited by Barlimore
Redacted URL.