/me farts

Rokku117

Hello Nerd.nu

I don't know how many of you have seen my post on the subreddit linked here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/5f93j7/me_farts/?ref=share&ref_source=link

For those who haven't seen it, whenever a player would type /me farts it kicks the player to the lobby and says nothing in chat. 

My problem with this, is that this appears to be targeted at one player specifically. I do not feel that that is right. Especially with no warning and no discussion.

This is, from my position, and the position of a few other mods I have talked to, an abuse of power.

Content-wise, /me farts really isn't that bad. Compared to all the other rules that I have actually seen broken in chat, such as doxxing, racism, and misogyny that goes unmoderated by staff, this is very tame, like third grade level tame.

I mean sure, it can be annoying, but I could come up with a list of 20 things that have happened that are as or more "annoying" than /me farts

This really has been an over-reaction on the admins end. 

Targeting players like this, and singleing out players can really have a detrimental effect on the community as a whole. If we went around changing and banning everything that we didn't like or that annoyed us, we wouldn't have much of a server.

This hasn't been the only targeting of specific players recently, but I hope it to be the last

If nothing changes, all I really ask from the admin team is an actual answer, and not to be called a "troll/drama causer/whatever" because I am not being one of those. I am a loyal peasant that wants to know what is going on in the Admin Kingdom that is Nerd.nu

Cheers,

RokkuCXVII

Guest Former Staff

I don't see this issue as something to be taken lightly or something that can be dismissed as trolling.

However, what I do see is an overreaction with this post.

Guest Former Staff

I don't feel this is an overreaction, I have discussed with others previous to posting this and they agree. This is an issue that I feel pertains greatly to how we handle our server.

This post and the subreddit post is a storm in a teacup. A huge overreaction to this issue.

That said, I don't disagree that there was an alternative way of handling the /me spam that would have avoided these posts.

I can't believe i'm reading a thread about the right to pretend you're farting in a computer game.

I'm guessing it was getting too spammy over a great length of time (as opposed to condensed spam) and someone wanted an automated way to curb it, and i'm willing to bet whoever did this thought it was a good laugh with few repercussions (bet you're regretting that now, whoever you are). 

I don't necessarily agree with the way this was handled, so really, totally get where you're coming from. Not the normal method of moderation and everyone who - christ - farted in general chat too much should've just been told off like usual. I don't think this is an abuse on the part of the admins because this was almost certainly just one person's decision and action, this wasn't a team effort to ban you from pretending to fart (... can you imagine the notes from that staff meeting?).

At the end of the day though, really i'm sure you could've just hit up one of the headadmins and said that you were uncomfortable and felt this was a bit too personally directed for a server-wide response and I bet they would've seen to things for you.

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

If you're just looking at this as *just* the /me spam, then sure it's not that big, but I'm looking towards the future. If this is how Admins are going to handle things. I can't see this ending well.

In this case I do agree. Had the people spamming (whether that be you or whoever) had been spoken to instead of this course of action then we'd all be on P training our horses.

It does raise questions about what to expect in future on how situations are handled, particularly those with far greater importance than this one.

Alas, I am not an admin and cannot address the questions you're looking to get answered from your original post but as an observer, I am equally disappointed that this topic exists and that it hasn't been resolved already.

At the end of the day though, really i'm sure you could've just hit up one of the headadmins and said that you were uncomfortable and felt this was a bit too personally directed for a server-wide response and I bet they would've seen to things for you.

I really don't know about that.

It does raise questions about what to expect in future on how situations are handled, particularly those with far greater importance than this one.

That's what I am trying to say. As well as better solutions and community discussion before major changes such as dehydration, are implemented

Hey all,

This situation has arisen due to an admin implementing an alias that they felt would be a bit of fun and amusement for all concerned. Unfortunately it has proved to be more incendiary than expected.

I’d like to start by apologising to anyone who has felt personally targeted, as this was not in any way the intention of the admin in question. In addition, I’d like to add that this alias, which was not ever going to be a permanent addition to the servers, will be removed as soon as it can be arranged.

In regards to your worry over how future situations are handled; sometimes people misread situations, or make mistakes. I’m not about to promise you that every player and staff member will always be perfect. However, my belief of our current team is that they are, by and large, the best moderation team of any server, anywhere.

I believe this is a reflection of our strong community, as we draw our staff members straight from the player-base. Now and again, issues may be raised - we’ll listen, and where it’s viable, we’ll solve it together. This was an action by one person, who did not anticipate this response, and has been rectified. You can take that as indication of how any future situations may be handled.

Rokku, I’d like to assure you and anyone else, that you are welcome to contact head or server admins with any concern that you feel is within their purview, and please do feel free to contact me if you feel this particular issue has not been handled correctly.

Thanks everyone,

~Didy

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...