When to add notes

I want to open up a discussion on when we should add mcbouncer notes based on my perception that notes aren't being added consistently particularly when they are needed. Without going into examples, I have recently had to document behavioural issues that have not been noted and I'm seeing other examples of the lack of notes being included when moderating across a small number of staff. I've started this discussion here so that we can have a transparent conversation in front of the community about when to expect a note added and why.

Why do we add notes?

From my understanding, we add notes to document behaviour or merely conversations that were had so that if there is a repeat offence, appropriate action can be taken on the second instance.

When do we add notes?

While we may be in agreement with the former question, this is where some of us are handling this with differing approaches. I feel that if we have a conversation with an individual over a behavioural issue then a log of that should be made as a note.

What do I want to see?

I'd like to see us all treat people fairly but consistently with some agreement that we can echo at staff, community meetings and wherever else relevant to show that we're accountable to that agreement.

Just as a reminder, notes can be appealed and are handled by the person who added the note or the respective server admin(s), with head admin oversight.

I add notes to know if someone has been warned in the past, because if someone is doing something small like 20 blocks of crop grief, but according to notes this is his 3rd time, I'm not just going to add another note.

I add them whenever there is more than 15 blocks of grief, whenever a hacked client is used, when they use a derogatory term, etc. Pretty much anything that is intentionally malicious, or that would be useful to know that they were warned about previously.

Edited by zburdsal
Grammar - one word change