Bring back the Rev18 iron grinder system

dnynumberone

That's all well and good if you're the only one going to the grinder and wanting that 1.5 stacks of iron, but what if 10 other people are journeying there at the same cycle? 

I agree. If iron spawners are a limited resource then they are hard to balance because there are so many ways they could be used: with or without a constant AFK slave and shared or not. AFKing is not a great mechanic anyway and hard to balance in and of itself.

From the armour smelting thread, here are some additional stats on iron mining behaviour:

The first four pages of LogBlock iron ore mining results (posted earlier) add up as follows (I'm counting destructions only and skipping the placements, to save time):

• Miners 1 - 15: 76043
  • Miners 16 - 30: 44453
  • Miners 31 - 45: 33972
  • Miners 46 - 60: 23418
  • Total (1 - 60): 177886 or 57.7% of total iron ore mined.
I'm assuming that with better tools we could plot all this and it would show up as a nice neat bell curve. And that the time usage stats would also show up as a similarly tidy bell curve. The top players by time are always going to end up with a bigger share of the loot. 

The question you should be asking is how do we encourage those 13000 iron blocks to move out of people's chests into the hands of the players that need them.

Also from those LogBlock stats I can see that only 474 players of the 902 unique logins mined any iron at all, which in single player would be essential to get redstone or diamonds. Just to back that up: total number of unique players who have broken one log, essential to even starting the game at all: 602.

• Upvote 1

Herr_Fawkes there's a whole lot of evidence refuting any assertion that we're short on iron in the other iron related thread: https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/4357-i-would-highly-recommend-adding-4-golem-spawners-in-the-very-near-future/page-2

There are also some points about the deleterious effects of providing iron grinders at spawn in the armour smelting poll thread, when that went off the rails into the unrelated debate about iron, here: https://nerd.nu/forums/topic/4381-poll-smelting-armor-for-ingots/page-2#entry35655

In the interests of not repeating ourselves and having a coherent discussion, can you move this to the other iron thread. It's not vastly different from anything that has been said elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

That is not true. If you scroll up to comment #43, you will see that there are already 13000 iron blocks going to waste in people's chests. At week 5.

But that's the problem. People will hoard if there isn't an incentive for them to not do so.

The two options to solve this is to just accept that people will hoard and balance accordingly or install a plugin that allows people to trade their resources for other things they want, either with each other via a shop or auction house plugin or with the server via a trade plugin. 

Edited by twilexis

The two options to solve this is to just accept that people will hoard and balance accordingly or install a plugin that allows people to trade their resources for other things they want, either with each other via a shop or auction house plugin or with the server via a trade plugin.

Would anyone dare to change anything if a sensible suggestion elicits a full meltdown and permaquit?

Hey, trip down memory lane:

http://wiki.nerd.nu/carto/pve/p06/carto/#/-10/64/1630/max/0/0

Rev 6 didn't have iron grinders. Didn't have villagers. And yet it has rails all around the map. When did PvE get so lazy and entitled that the only way to make stuff is if the materials are free?

Enchants cost 50 levels. XP was slow. I built a massive darkroom grinder and charged people a lot of diamonds for a good pick. There was no mending. You had to repair your gear. There were no horses, of courses, of courses, or flying around, so if you wanted to travel, rail was your best bet.

• Upvote 1

Would anyone dare to change anything if a sensible suggestion elicits a full meltdown and permaquit?

While that whole event was sad, one player is entitled to not be happy with how things are and are well within their rights to leave. They should not influence the shift of the servers just because they threw a tantrum on the forums.

It is a cultural thing tho. Mojang have balanced their vanilla game around single player. It leads to this wildly unbalanced multiplayer game that a skilled group of players like PvE can crack in about a week these days, and then we build houses and 3/4 of the server population go play something else for four months until the next rev starts.

I'm aware that I'm pushing it uphill trying to change anything for the better. But it is good to recognise that it is basically just culture. Culture has changed. It could change again.

Guest Former Staff

In the interests of not repeating ourselves and having a coherent discussion, can you move this to the other iron thread. It's not vastly different from anything that has been said elsewhere.

Just going to be lazy and direct to my post contribution there with some ideas for how to handle the introduction of further iron grinders into this rev which are in line with this topic question. The topic has a lot of ideas, facts, opinions and debate. It's probably best to keep the discussion there with the rest of us rambling and ranting. :-P