2017 Fundraiser Planning!

Silversunset01

Hey everyone!

It's about that time of year again where we start planning for the next fundraiser event! We want to ensure that we're running our fundraiser in a way that best fits our community, and for that we need your help!

Please comment below with your thoughts for how you envision the fundraiser. Do you want to keep the weekend-long CTF that we normally run? Try something different? Should we keep one long event or try to break it into shorter events over the weekend? What style of play should we cover (pvp? survival? creative?) etc. Should we keep it as a summertime fundraiser? 

Remember, this is your chance to help shape the fundraiser. Comments that derail the conversation or devolve into utter insanity may be removed to keep discussion on track - we want to has as much constructive feedback as possible from everyone please give us your thoughts!

Thanks!

- Silver

• Upvote 2

On 2/1/2017 at 3:42 PM, Abitcat said:

Maybe a building competition, that goes over a week, having a certain category and like, 30 mins. to build?  

Well see, most of us have school. Maybe like six hours of creative building comps, six hours of pve events, and twelve hours of minigames? seperate them over a weekend so 12 hours each day. or if we do a full week of events then it would have to be from 5:00 to 7:00 or 8:00 PM

Also, the summer idea sounds good, no school, everybody is on and most likely more players will be willing to donate (Summer jobs)

Edited by PPGOME

3 hours ago, PPGOME said:

Well see, most of us have school. Maybe like six hours of creative building comps, six hours of pve events, and twelve hours of minigames? seperate them over a weekend so 12 hours each day. or if we do a full week of events then it would have to be from 5:00 to 7:00 or 8:00 PM

Also, the summer idea sounds good, no school, everybody is on and most likely more players will be willing to donate (Summer jobs)

I'm gone for summer vacation so.. theres problem one.

1 hour ago, Abitcat said:

I'm gone for summer vacation so.. theres problem one.

But the other problem is if we do it now, we won't have much time... idk i think i am out of this... Minigames is a good idea though. Fun and very time consuming ;)

Perfect for getting money

While CTF is fun, I think having shorter rounds of a few hours would help with pacing & interest. We should also have a few PvE rounds on the same map where teams compete by killing the most monsters or other environmental challenges (Lighting round?). Also a building round would be a great finishing round where creative is enabled and people can relax and build after getting burned out on killing stuff.

Just a few thoughts I have. I do enjoy the CTF for a bit but get burned out on it pretty quick because I am awful at PvP.

It would be fun to section the fundraiser into creative build contests that are then used in the event. 2 possible events come to mind where we could start with a build contest that could then be used in play. Nerd Olympics where we start with a day of building events and arenas. Archery, boat race courses, horse tracks, spleef, thimble, etc, etc. Then we could switch and actually compete in all the events.  My other thought that could run basically the same way is a carnival full of mini games, rides and mazes/puzzles. I know there would be a lot of little details to consider but just brainstorming big picture right now.

I had an idea for a minecraft minigame that's like Call of Duty's "Nazi Zombies" but with 2 teams, one being humans, and the other being zombies that increases as human players are killed off. Essentially, the zombies would spawn outside of a building that is unbreakable by both teams except for a few windows that could be broken by zombies (or repaired by humans through possible drops by zombies of the glass material), but the humans cannot leave and zombies can only enter. The human team would be equipped with some type of armor, a bow, sword, maybe food, and a few standard arrows while the "zombies" would be players with possible speed or damage buffs. Adding a random probability for "zombies" to drop a few debuff arrows could help the humans as the game progresses. The human team could win by surviving for x minutes, while the "zombie's" goal is to kill the humans (which respawn as zombies) before the time limit runs out.

• Upvote 1

Random thoughts from many days ago:

I like the old format of a persistent (ie. no or infrequent map resets) main event spanning a few days with a lot of side events happening off-dimension (spleef, etc.) that rewarded items/gear for the participants' teams.  Biggest issue with the side events was the manpower to maintain or ref the events, which, even though I think the periodic side-event start announcements might add to the liveliness of the fundraiser, it feels a bit impractical to organize - automation is great in this regard but (as a random, possibly impractical thought) it also deprives the staff an opportunity to interact with players.

I'm partial to the PvP side of the fundraiser events myself, but it would be interesting to see what other kinds of (potentially non-PvP) events we could host that would be just as popular.  I'm not sure what the logic was behind the CTF in previous years when the first such event was hosted, but back in those times I considered it a great way of unifying gameplay on the three servers (C/P/S); with the lack of a PvP server the case for a PvP-oriented event is a little more lacking now, in terms of uniting the community alone (whether it is popular with the players nonetheless is a question I don't know the answer to).  

I think it would be more fitting (if the fundraiser is meant to be unifying) for the main event to have players to stay together like in past CTFs, in the sense that the game is designed so that they will coordinate/play with their own team and eventually(?) meet many of the other players not on their team (presumably through combat), not just scattering off.  (Mob defense, while not really PvP-oriented and heavily skewed towards PvE, would fit the objective of keeping players closer together - but in the interest of persistence, maybe tune the strength of the invading mobs so that it is never possible for the player side to suffer enough losses to the point that a new start is required to continue meaningful gameplay.)

It's been mentioned in the last CTF's fundraiser feedback to make playing on the yellow team more meaningful and interactive in the game (ie. not just a group of players removed from the gameplay) - if balanced well it might make for a novel feature of the fundraiser.

• Upvote 1

Keep the old format with a twist. (pre space)

The old CTF was a giant map with strongholds, traps, and spawners. 

This time, it should be 4 smaller CTF maps. 1 Hell map, 1 Deep Jungle map, 1 Desert Map, and 1 Other type of Environmental map.

Each of these maps should have strongholds in them and mirrored on both sides, to keep things balanced. Either about should be about 800x800 in size each. 

Lastly, these maps should carry into the minigame map rotation after the CTF fundraiser event. Carry over server settings too. 

I'm for the good old CTF event. It only went awry this time because of the space stuff. (Mathematically, you're just not going to catch somebody when you both move at a constant rate on a plane. You need obstacles and terrain to vary the movement.) Also, no resets. That just ruins the sense of accomplishment or desire for people to build things.

In past events, we usually had plenty for everyone to do. People who wanted to go raiding would raid. People who wanted to build would construct defenses, infrastructure, novelty builds, etc.. People who wanted to parkour had the buff areas. It was a big, open world and you had plenty of options.

Maybe throw in some custom spawning behaviour to make the PvE more challenging, too. (Naturally spawning "Illagers" and randomly named Doppelgangers anyone?)

The issue is the space event was just too limiting for everyone, with its preconstructed and mostly empty world.