Rev 20 Mid-Rev Feedback!

Cujobear

This topic will be locked by the end of Sunday 16th. Please get your feedback in before then!

Greetings PvEers!

We’re a little over 2 months into rev 20 and while there is still PLENTY of time to build, we’re looking for feedback so we can start planning our next map.

The things we’re mainly looking for feedback on are:

Iron Grinders:

This revision we started with a higher cost for iron golem spawners and upgrades early on and decrease the cost monthly.

• Did the costs of spawners and upgrades feel fair?

• Were the costs clear to you?

• Should we continue with this method of obtaining iron golem spawners?

• Is it time to find a new way of acquiring iron golem spawners?

Nether Portals:

This rev we increased the number of portals and tried to spread out more evenly across the map.

• How do you feel about the number of portals and their placement on the map?

• Would you like to see nether portals handled differently? if so, how?

The Nether:

We decided to go back to a vanilla nether this revision. After some consideration we also allowed portal owners a 1x1 hole in the bedrock ceiling to allow nether roof access.

• Would you like to see a vanilla nether again?  

• Other thoughts or ideas about the nether?

Map Generation:

This rev we used Terrain Control with Biome Bundle on the default settings to generate a 9K x 9K map and would like to continue using this tool.  

• How did you like the size of the map? Too big? Too small?

• If we had a smaller map, how would you feel about a second overworld appearing during the mid-rev?

• How did you feel about the terrain and custom biomes and structures?

• Were there any custom biomes you would like to see again?

• Were there any custom biomes you absolutely hated?

• Would you like to see the size of the biomes changed?

• How did you feel about the land to water ratio?

• Should we go back to a 100% vanilla map?

• Should we go back to a World Painted map?

Ore distributions:

For ore distribution this revision we used the default settings for Terrain Control and Biome Bundle and added in glowstone and nether quartz and added a custom recipe for sponge.

• How do you feel about ore distribution this rev? (yes we are aware there wasn’t enough gold)

• What are your thoughts on finding ores like diamonds at y levels and in areas that stepped away from vanilla distribution?

MapWorld:

This revision we added warp signs to every plot as well as a few signs on each plot with instructions on how to use mapworld.

• To further improve mapworld, which other changes would you like to see?
  • For those of you who didn’t use mapworld, which features would encourage you to create maps there?

Miscellaneous:

• Midway through the rev we saw the creative testworld reset on C. So that we can control the world resetting, would you be open to the possibility of a creative-mode flatworld with plots setup for testing builds and schematics?
  • This revision saw the return of blog posts. These are submitted to the subreddit on the 14th of each month and highlight community news & events, facts and a community spotlight. If you were editing an upcoming blog post, how would you put it together?

• Which sections would you cull, which would you want to see added?

Spawn:

• Was there anything you felt spawn and the spawn area was missing this rev?

• Was is it easy to find food and the exit?

• Would you prefer a bigger/smaller spawn? If so, why?

• Any other thoughts regarding spawn?

• We’ve had a number of different themes for spawns across 20 revisions, from pirate ships to airships and everything in-between! Which themes would you like to see in future spawns?

Special spawners:

The revision we added some special spawners (slime, shulker, etc) in the overworld and used Biome Bundle's custom structures to include witch spawners and some special dungeons which contained multiple spawners.

• Should special spawners be removed from the map?

• To avoid rarer items being flooded into the economy early, should we look into adding these later into a revision?

• Did you like the added spawners from Biome Bundles custom structures?

• Are there any unique spawners you'd like to see added?

Events:

The Adventurers Guild has had one event that started on day one with another to be announced Sunday. We also had the Hunt for Socarch’s buns as a mini hunt/Easter Event in the spawn area, and spawn secrets which includes puzzles and parkour.

Adventurers Guild --

• Do you enjoy having hunts held by the Adventurers Guild?

• Are there ideas you would like to share for future scavenger hunts or events?

Seasonal Events --

• Which events/holidays would you like to see us celebrate and how would you recommend we tastefully do that?

Other Thoughts --

• Are you missing the All the Things Challenge?

• Would you like to see the return of a grand challenge next rev?

• How would you like to see pop up events (unannounced mini challenges) run by staff?

• Would you prefer if we focused on more events which you can do at any time you want or for more events which bring us all together for a specific time?

• We’ve started the ethos of letting you choose your own prize from a selection of prizes with the addition of the Adventurer’s Guild Prize Trading room and this will continue into future events. Which prizes would you like to see made available in future?

Closing Thoughts:

• We’re reaching around halfway through the revision now and will announce the revision 21 reset schedule a month in advance when we get that far. For now though, how are you finding revision 20?

• What would you like to achieve in the second half of the revision?

Edited by Barlimore
Added deadline to the top of the post.
  • Upvote 2

I only jump back into minecraft and the rev a few weeks ago, but early on, I found it quite confusing to find how to get to the spawn nether portal. There is /place and all, but the fact that the spawn building only had 1 marked south exit, and 2 unmarked north exits makes it a little challenging to find how to get to the portal, and ended up with me eventually discovering you had to walk all the way around the building. In particular as well if a spawn-based attraction, such as the public gardens, is created, it would be beneficial to attempt to lead people there somewhat if they take a bit of time to read all the signs. 

tl;dr: if there are key interests around spawn, make sure they are accessible from within spawn or there are adequate directions to get there. 

• Upvote 1

Iron Grinders:  I think the cost structure is fine, though I personally abhor wither skel farming, which is the primary cost right now. The costs aren't too hard to find, though new players might be confused by the alert/imgur link setup.  I wonder how hard a searchable help function would be to make, "/helpsearch grinder" giving you a list with iron grinders, grinder rules, etc to choose from and see; so we could bring all the rules in game and into one more accessable command.

Nether Portals: Good number for this size of map, and easy to find in the initial rush.  I'd still prefer a plugin that allows mods to 'link' portals manually, letting us get closer to the vanilla system.

The Nether: Standard nether is all sorts of boring to me. I liked the custom nether from the few previous revs, but wouldn't mind some more cave/mountain-ness to bring it closer to the vanilla style.

Map Generation: Map size is fine, custom biomes are alright, but distribution should change a bit (Less floating islands and clay mountains?) and larger biomes would be nice. As far as water, I'd like only one smaller ocean, possibly a corner, with plenty of large rivers and a few lakes. (No clue how controllable terrain gen is for this)

Ore distributions: Gold, gold gold gold, and gold. Seriously though, not a huge fan of the 'everywhere' ores. I'd like to see each biome have its own strata combined with the boosted vanilla ores; say swamp has lots of coal and iron from surface down, with only normal other ores, and mesa would have boosted gold from y40 to map height, but lower/unboosted levels of ores otherwise (including normal gold rates for lower y levels as if another biome), Extreme hills could have y50+ emerald ore and slight diamonds added, etc.

MapWorld: As nice as the map tiles can be, they've always seemed like too much work. Also, no floor/ceiling placement is a bit of a dealkiller. My ideal, pure fancy, would be to see an external program that palletizes images into the 16,384 byte map color data, which could be uploaded and saved as a map super easy, and then be bought with an ingame command.

Miscellaneous: For the test world, if and only if you can manage worldedit, like C proper. Blogposts were nice as they are.

Spawn: Current spawn is good looking, but a bit annoying to get around, has no stables that I saw, and generally lagged my comp. I'd like a return to a smaller spawn building, akin to rev 2, perhaps with signs used to warp to tutorials / etc elsewhere. Surround it with a lot of curated plots that are given out during events and the like for players to show off their best work in a spawn theme.

Special spawners: I like the 'natural' spawners and their structures added by biome bundle, though the 5+ spawner dungeons/grinders are a tiny bit ridiculous. As a special spawner locating expert, I have to say I really dislike the current hidden sign approach.  Too much luck and terrain scanning, no real challenge except time. I know it requires a large amount of admin effort, but I'd much prefer an exploration quest or something that runs in episodes for the first month or two, or perhaps a system like iron grinders: Naturally occurring mobs of each desired type drop a ' <monster type> core' at a much rarer rate than EoF, which can be used like the iron grinder system (but only leveling up to the power of a normal grinder). If worried about too many spawners over the rev, have each core dropped/used lower the drop rate a tiny bit, and keep them 200+ spaced out. As for added spawners, WITHER SKELETONS. I hate hunting them.

Events:  I'm not a big event player, but I don't mind anything listed being part of the server culture.  Though I did have some issues with the fundraiser maze event; the inability to worldedit was annoying, understandable for the weird P creative 'worlds' setup, being also unable to use C for it less so. Far more bothersome was that I gave nearly a week for any sort of feedback on my completed maze so I could correct any problems for them, and so the maze checking operations could be spread out more; however, I heard not a word about it.

Closing Thoughts:  Seems to be going well, I hope the uber project finishes.

• Upvote 1

The only things i can think of right now to comment on:

Ores: We've not really done much with rails this rev because we dont have as much gold as we normally do. Yes, we can do something like netherhunting but that becomes difficult the more people are in the nether, we've always done fine obtaining it via mining. Having the ores at non-standard levels has made mining more difficult if you want to target specific ores. But not impossible

Testworld: Unless there is a way to instantly travel from "where i am now" to "my test area" i actually prefer it on creative (also because world edit....srsly). With mapworld we have to travel to spawn and find the warp sign, and then clear our inventory and tp in. Then travel back. If its on creative i can /creative, /home testing, and then /pve when i'm done. They've left the old test world up for two weeks to let us move thiings over to the new test world and wipe the 'derp'  or unneeded builds. 

Other: The map size was great, I love that we're spread out and the placement of the portals has worked well. Biome bundle seems to have worked wonderfully this time around, the terrain is just lovely. I do miss some of the larger group events (like mob arenas) but the AG stuff is quite nice for those with odd availability and time zones.

Iron Grinders:

This revision we started with a higher cost for iron golem spawners and upgrades early on and decrease the cost monthly.

• Yes. It should be hard to get a spawner.

• Yes.

• Yes.

• This way works, it's much better than last rev's fixed spawners.

Nether Portals:

This rev we increased the number of portals and tried to spread out more evenly across the map.

• They're far enough apart to encourage travel, which is all I ask. There are a good amount, since having this many allows individuals to get and develop portals while still ensuring that the cities have enough to go around.

• No, they're fine.

The Nether:

We decided to go back to a vanilla nether this revision. After some consideration we also allowed portal owners a 1x1 hole in the bedrock ceiling to allow nether roof access.

• I prefer the custom gen, the glowstone trees and land gen made exploring fun.

• Add a zombie pigman spawner for shits and giggles, maybe even a (slow) wither skelly spawner that is earned as a prize in an event.

Map Generation:

The map is a good size, and things are spread out enough to encourage a good amount of infrastructure building (or at least there'd be decent infrastructure, but more on that later). I like the biomes more than past revs, and the custom trees are fun. I'd like to see fewer dramatic changes between neighboring biomes, like having a desert bordering a dense forest, but that's a Minecraft thing. Ideally, there'd be a portion of the map dedicated to desert/mesa and other portions with their own "ecosystems," like coastal regions, mountains, plains, and forests, where similar biomes are clustered together so that traveling through the world seems smooth and realistic. Biomes seem like a good size. Keep Terrain Control, it's better than Worldpainter or vanilla generation.

Ore distributions:

More gold is necessary for the development of proper rail systems. I miss the days when I could hop on a rail and get just about anywhere. We still have cities and motivated builders, but too little gold means that development can't happen. Other oregen is fine, though diamonds feel a bit sparse. 

MapWorld:

I'd love to see an image converter like Aharit suggested. I tried making a map once, and it took up all the time I'd have liked to use playing the game in the actual PvE map. ImageOnMap seems like a promising server-oriented plugin. I understand that having a mapworld is desirable because it still requires players to put in time to build a map, but the actual building detracts from time that could be spent elsewhere, and on balance I'd rather have people playing PvE than being made to take large amounts of time to make maps. 

Miscellaneous:

I like the blog posts, and would love to see the "Community" section focus on builds more often. The first post had a nice section where settlements got showcased, and it'd be fun to have people submit pics of their towns to put in this section. It'd be good for advertising to new players if we could get them to read it.

Spawn:

• Lighting, it's hard to see inside with a darker RP.

• Yes.

• The size is fine, but I'd rather it be spread out for variety's sake since this rev's is rather vertical.

• Nice design, and I'm glad to see the Adventurer's Guild get its own rooms.

• We’ve had a number of different themes for spawns across 20 revisions, from pirate ships to airships and everything in-between! Which themes would you like to see in future spawns?

• I'd love to see a classic castle, especially since we've got a modern design this rev.

Special spawners:

The revision we added some special spawners (slime, shulker, etc) in the overworld and used Biome Bundle's custom structures to include witch spawners and some special dungeons which contained multiple spawners.

• No

• To avoid rarer items being flooded into the economy early, should we look into adding these later into a revision?

• No, just make them harder to find.

• Yes.

• Not that I can think of, maybe a zombie pigman spawner.

Adventurers Guild --

• Yes. It's a great addition to the server.

• Once towns are established, it'd be fun to collab with city mayors to hide things within established builds.

Other Thoughts --

• Yes

• Yes

• Would you prefer if we focused on more events which you can do at any time you want or for more events which bring us all together for a specific time?

• Any-time events are more fun, since they're easier to complete on one's own time and they allow long-term collaboration between players attempting them. One-time events are fun, but shouldn't substitute for well-planned rev-long challenges.

Closing Thoughts:

I'm enjoying the rev, but I wish we had our old rail systems back. I'm not sure why they're no longer in vogue to build, though I'd wager it's a combination of elytra and EasyRider making wings and horses more convenient to use than rails are to build. However, with a reintroduction of proper gold spawning levels, I think rails could make a comeback to the point that they're at least useful, and not sparse and half-finished. It's nice to have several methods of transportation, and I think the gold spawning this rev has ruined a good one.

• Upvote 1

Iron Grinders:

If approximation of vanilla is a concern, I'm admittedly not hugely in favor of the direction that iron grinders are going in - after all, iron grinders don't become that much cheaper to build in vanilla as time goes on.  A lot of the cost structure feels purely like an exercise in rebalancing the game and an attempt to restrict rate of game progression, instead of an approximation of vanilla, so in those terms it feels more artificial than natural.

That aside, it was a neat personal challenge and it did seem to succeed in restricting iron grinder output supply early on in the rev.  I gave it a try but gave up after two T1 spawners though O.o felt I was spending too much time mining and less of it building.

Nether Portals:

There are more Nether portals than usual around, but I think it's a good number given how big the map is, in terms of extending access to the Nether to the entire map.  in my gameplay it feels like a good alternative to elytra in terms of speed of travel, though this rev I've also been based close to portals.

I still wish for the day when portals are handled closer to the vanilla style (ie. everyone can request and get their own portal), but there are a lot of compelling arguments to how impractical that could be.  For now, though, the current system feels fair.

The Nether:

One thing I am beginning to appreciate is that it is much harder to build a good zombie pigman farm platform in the vanilla Nether, even with access to the rooftop, than it was in the custom Nether.  Other than constructing the platform and killing pigmen, I spent a little time collecting quartz ore - it was refreshing to negotiate across a chasm that opened to lava.

Map Generation:

Relative to old PvE maps, this map was gigantic.  Even flights between adjacent portal towns felt like long-distance flying due to the time it took to glide from one to the other.  Travel felt more expensive.

Exotic terrain and strange ruins are always a welcome sight, even if the map shows imperfections in other ways.  It was fun to see them on the map; they looked new and different without seeming too alien to the Minecraft landscape.

Ore distributions:

This rev I didn't lay rails or maintain a horse, and I switched off to leather and wood equipment from gold the previous rev, so the relative shortage of gold didn't feel that limiting for me actually (plus getting some gold from killing pigmen).  The wider spread in ore distribution makes it possible to see ores in caves or abandoned mine shafts far away from 0-11, which is fun to come across too.  That said, it felt annoying to search for diamond from branch mining (mainly for the iron grinder), and harder still for emerald - but given the randomness of branch mining, maybe that is the wrong attitude to approach it.

MapWorld:

The main feedback I'd offer for the mapworld this rev is the ability to place maps in the item frames in the scale model at spawn.  Other than that, I quite liked the setup of the mapworld spawn this time around. 

Miscellaneous:

I like the way the blog posts are structured now - the emphasis on updating the community as well as showcasing it fosters a stronger community feel and adds that additional layer of experience to playing on the server.  There isn't much I'd change about them.

Spawn:

Main thing for spawn this rev is that it lags my client a bit when it first renders ._. but otherwise I do like it.

Events:

I like the Adventurer's Guild - it's good to have quests available whenever players are ready, as well as a central launch point for them.  I think it's also good that those are offered along with events that happen at a predetermined time.  

Also, in terms of seasonal events - I don't think they necessarily need to coincide with or be themed around real world holidays, as long as they are short and announced ahead of time.

Closing Thoughts:

I don't have much else I want to build for the second half - when I planned for this rev I intentionally went small, thinking I wouldn't spend that much time playing on P this rev.  Then I finish my tower in a month, building in my area has more or less ceased, and I find that I have a lot of time on my hands.  Probably a good thing, actually.

Amazing work on the map this time around; it's been a fun map to explore.  

• Upvote 1

iron grinders:

too expensive. The fact that you make it dependent on the nether makes it very unattainable for anyone who isn't a major town. If you keep the skull requirement, then any skull should be eligible to be traded in. That way it's not taxing in the nether and players are more free to explore and conquer. 

Ore: This rev hasn't been fun because of it, honestly. I quit trying to build out to other places. I understand the ore had been "plumped" (bullshit obviously), but the non vanilla factor and certain resource scarcity really ruined the fun.

Special spawners: You NEED a list of what spawners have and HAVE NOT been found! YOU NEED THIS! All you managed to do is waste the time of many by telling us jack shit and now you need a special event to find the creeper spawner. Unbelievable. 

Closing thoughts: One thing that i truly enjoyed this rev was the dungeons. Those have been absolutely fantastic! I'm disappointed because theres no new ones to discover, really.  Maybe a new one every few days or something? The lust to explore really died when the interesting stuff was all found. 

I havent really been on too much lately and the reason is not because im bored with minecraft, but it's because it's simply not fun this rev. Attainability is a huge thing for me and if it's not doable even with the effort, then it's not worth the effort and thats my problem with this. I work 45-55 hours a week with a ton of other stuff going on in my life. I don't have the hours upon hours it takes to get this stuff. I know things take an effort, but this rev made certain projects unrealistic in ways. I just really hope rev 21 is better...

Edited by Forever_A_Steve

2 hours ago, Forever_A_Steve said:

Special spawners: You NEED a list of what spawners have and HAVE NOT been found! YOU NEED THIS! All you managed to do is waste the time of many by telling us jack shit and now you need a special event to find the creeper spawner. Unbelievable. 

There is one actually! It was linked in the initial rev info post and can also be seen in the PVE Information Guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fMpCVNwEkBRq2sYtWx5Mz_s0MM3hZ9Dl3bD2Nn-EkiE/edit#gid=0 

On 6/30/2017 at 10:17 AM, Cujobear said:

Iron Grinders:

• Did the costs of spawners and upgrades feel fair? Yes

• Were the costs clear to you? Yes

• Should we continue with this method of obtaining iron golem spawners? I don't see any problems with it.

• Is it time to find a new way of acquiring iron golem spawners? I'd personally like a more involved process but that's just because I enjoy building ridiculous things.

Nether Portals:

• How do you feel about the number of portals and their placement on the map? Great!

• Would you like to see nether portals handled differently? if so, how? I'm still of the opinion that there should be a way to get a portal placed after the rev begins, a la iron spawners. Limit 1 per household (i.e. town or person (if going solo)) possibly with some kind of "no portals within X blocks of another portal" restriction in order to continue to facilitate map traversal and exploration.

The Nether:

• Would you like to see a vanilla nether again? Yes

Map Generation:

This rev we used Terrain Control with Biome Bundle on the default settings to generate a 9K x 9K map and would like to continue using this tool.  

• How did you like the size of the map? Too big? Too small? Just right.

• If we had a smaller map, how would you feel about a second overworld appearing during the mid-rev? A what now? I don't like that idea. I think it would create more isolation. I also don't really think the C method of expanding the map X days into the rev would work too well either in survival.

• How did you feel about the terrain and custom biomes and structures? LOVE

• Were there any custom biomes you would like to see again? Yes -- the ones with podzol/dirt + individual water sources dotted throughout. Also the melting glacier.

• Were there any custom biomes you absolutely hated? The. Fucking. Steep. Cliffs. OMG. /implode

• Would you like to see the size of the biomes changed? Some could be bigger

• How did you feel about the land to water ratio? Satisfactory

• Should we go back to a 100% vanilla map? Pls no

• Should we go back to a World Painted map? Nah, I'd like to see what else the new method can do.

Ore distributions:

For ore distribution this revision we used the default settings for Terrain Control and Biome Bundle and added in glowstone and nether quartz and added a custom recipe for sponge.

• How do you feel about ore distribution this rev? (yes we are aware there wasn’t enough gold) Great, minus the gold issue.

• What are your thoughts on finding ores like diamonds at y levels and in areas that stepped away from vanilla distribution? Fine with me.

MapWorld:

This revision we added warp signs to every plot as well as a few signs on each plot with instructions on how to use mapworld.

• For those of you who didn’t use mapworld, which features would encourage you to create maps there? I personally just find the process unenjoyable so I don't think anything would tempt me to use it more. /ADHD

Miscellaneous:

• Midway through the rev we saw the creative testworld reset on C. So that we can control the world resetting, would you be open to the possibility of a creative-mode flatworld with plots setup for testing builds and schematics? I do enjoy the fact that the testworld is on C, since it "forces" you to spend time on both servers.
  • This revision saw the return of blog posts. These are submitted to the subreddit on the 14th of each month and highlight community news & events, facts and a community spotlight. If you were editing an upcoming blog post, how would you put it together?

• Which sections would you cull, which would you want to see added? I don't really have any specific thoughts for improvement, but I do enjoy the blog posts!

Spawn:

• Was there anything you felt spawn and the spawn area was missing this rev? A way for horses to go straight through the building instead of having to go around /lazy

• Was is it easy to find food and the exit? Yup

• Would you prefer a bigger/smaller spawn? If so, why? Hummmm. No opinion.

• Any other thoughts regarding spawn? Tree Bun is a dirty imposter.

• We’ve had a number of different themes for spawns across 20 revisions, from pirate ships to airships and everything in-between! Which themes would you like to see in future spawns? Will think more about this.

Special spawners:

• Should special spawners be removed from the map? No!!

• To avoid rarer items being flooded into the economy early, should we look into adding these later into a revision? I don't really consider any of the special spawner drops (i.e. gunpowder, slime, even shulker shells) to be rare.

• Did you like the added spawners from Biome Bundles custom structures? Yeah! I loved that, actually.

• Are there any unique spawners you'd like to see added? Didy spawner.

Events:

The Adventurers Guild has had one event that started on day one with another to be announced Sunday. We also had the Hunt for Socarch’s buns as a mini hunt/Easter Event in the spawn area, and spawn secrets which includes puzzles and parkour.

Adventurers Guild --

• Do you enjoy having hunts held by the Adventurers Guild? I love the AG so so so much.

• Are there ideas you would like to share for future scavenger hunts or events? ;D

Seasonal Events --

• Which events/holidays would you like to see us celebrate and how would you recommend we tastefully do that? I think it would be nice to have mini-events, like the Leprechaun and turkey events, for all major holidays. I don't think it would be particularly difficult to ensure we stay tasteful -- i.e., even though Easter is a denominational holiday, it could be twisted to be more of a "spring" celebration.

Other Thoughts --

• Are you missing the All the Things Challenge? I never thought I would say this: yes.

• Would you like to see the return of a grand challenge next rev? YES!

• How would you like to see pop up events (unannounced mini challenges) run by staff? How? Well... I mean, I always assumed that Cujo woke up in the middle of the night and began levitating off her bed. Her eyelids part, revealing pearl-white eyes. "All The Things Challenge," she booms. Thunder cracks. She falls back to her bed, sound asleep. It begins.

• Would you prefer if we focused on more events which you can do at any time you want or for more events which bring us all together for a specific time? Any time, only because my schedule is erratic and it's difficult for me to be able to say for sure if I'll be able to be on at a specific time.

• We’ve started the ethos of letting you choose your own prize from a selection of prizes with the addition of the Adventurer’s Guild Prize Trading room and this will continue into future events. Which prizes would you like to see made available in future? I love the enchanted apple prize idea. To me, that's the ultimate prize until my horse's health is maxxed out. After that, maybe some kind of voucher system where if you collect X amount of vouchers (over Y amount of events), you can then trade in Z amount for an enchantment buff -- i.e.:

• X vouchers to add Smite V, Sharp V, Bane V to a *SINGLE* sword that already has a buff enchant

• Y vouchers to upgrade Looting 3 to Looting (3 + #) on a *SINGLE* sword

• Z vouchers to add Fire Prot IV / Prot IV / Blast Prot IV / Proj Prot IV to a *SINGLE* piece of armor that already has a protection enchant

• Q vouchers to upgrade Knockback 2 or Punch V to Knockback 10 or Punch 10 (or whatever)

• I know this would be difficult to implement and/or tedious to keep up with, so that might have to be thought through a little more. Just a quick brainstorm: easysign, custom villager trade table

Closing Thoughts:

• We’re reaching around halfway through the revision now and will announce the revision 21 reset schedule a month in advance when we get that far. For now though, how are you finding revision 20? My favorite rev on nerd so far.

• What would you like to achieve in the second half of the revision? I have a huge to-do list: finish Haven Tower (main build and terraforming), max out my horse's health, complete my "Bermuda Adventures!" trophy "case".

Edited by bermudalocket
some clarifications

12 hours ago, Zomise said:

There is one actually! It was linked in the initial rev info post and can also be seen in the PVE Information Guide: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fMpCVNwEkBRq2sYtWx5Mz_s0MM3hZ9Dl3bD2Nn-EkiE/edit#gid=0 

you need to disclose what type of spawners they are. 

Map Generation:

I think the map should be mostly vanilla but I really like how the clay was incorporated into the terrain.  The map size as it is is good as well.

Ore distributions:

I think Iron is a bit too common with spawners in the game.  I could see it being that plentiful to mine if we didn't have the spawners but as it is, it's EVERYWHERE.

Miscellaneous:

I think that it would be a good idea to setup a sort of tutorial plot in creative to show newer players how to build common circuits etc.

Some means of redyeing clay perhaps like how we can use bonemeal on double slabs etc. would synergize well with the abundance of clay on the map.  eg. redye cyan clay from mountains

IRON GRINDERS

- I think the cost going down each month is a great way of doing it, however I think it might be a bit too cheap in the end.
- Even the T4 iron grinders seem a bit overpowered. The ease of getting iron was such, that I got several beacons scattered in the world where I've been speedmining.
- I think the cost should be changed away from wither skeleton skulls. I was thinking of ways and how about a rare drop of iron golem heads from all mobs? Then to get a spawner, otherwise the costs would be the same, but in addition instead of nether stars, you'd need 3-5 iron golem heads?

NETHER PORTALS

- This is probably the first rev I'm happy with the amount and locations of the nether portals. They're well spaced and the corners weren't forgotten, so that's good.
- I would like to suggest one rev to try, that if a settlement qualifies for a /place, it would then be allowed to build a nether portal. Since you already have set requirements for /place and it doesn't count out solo players either, it would seem a fair way of doing it without having too many. Of course expections as distance from spawn/other portals would be needed to take into account.

THE NETHER

- The vanilla nether just isn't interesting, please give us the custom nether back. It also didn't suffer that badly from the wither skeleton nerf multiplayer causes.
- With a custom nether, it would also be a great place to put event dungeons in.

MAP GENERATION

- The size of the map is perfect. With wings everything is so much closer, so this is a good size, allowing a variety of biomes.
- I absolutely love the biome bundle map generation and I hope we'll see it in the future too. Especially the naturally generated sky islands and the mesa plateaus that rise up high are amazing.
- I'd suggest, maybe make the map borders high mountains/plateaus, so that the map border wouldn't be so... obvious.
- I prefer the biome bundle map over vanilla and world painted ones.
- Need more flower forests (that are actually that, and don't just pretend to be).

ORE DISTRIBUTION

- The sponge recipe is a bit weird. I preferred when they spawned in the ocean floor, but it's better than nothing.
- As you know, gold was a bit of a miss this rev.
- I like that all ores spawn at all levels, since it allows you to tunnel at different levels and makes caving more interesting.
- I'd suggest, that keep all ores at all levels as they are this rev, but in addition would be nice to have the biome specific extra ores (like gold in mesa biomes).

MAP WORLD

- I like map world as an idea, but the it takes so much time, that I haven't used it since that one time couple revs ago.
- I would love the map world to persist between revs, since this would allow making of "household stuff" to stay from rev to rev like TV's for example, that are cool to have, but annoying to make every rev. And some of the art work are stunning and great to use for longer than just one rev.
- Other than that, probably only allowing to use printer in the mapworld would make me use it, but I can't really justify it.

MISCELLANEOUS

- Originally I thought P having its own test build world would be great, but it was brought up, that it would probably be a sign like tha mapworld at spawn, and the hazzle of emptying inventory and travelling really is a bit much. I guess if C's test world wouldn't reset in the middle of a P rev, it would be great.
- Blog posts are awesome. Make Didy do infographics for them. :D

SPAWN

- Spawn is too big and too laggy. I tested around with this shitty computer I am at, and I can otherwise get upto 120fps (I tend to lock it to 60fps), but the instant I look at spawn, it drops to 8-15fps. It's ridiculous. I think a smaller spawn would be better and try to limit the entities. Some people even freeze totally when they go there.
- Was easy to find out and get the melons, but... smaller and simpler please.

SPECIAL SPAWNERS

- I think special spawners are a positive part of P and we should not get rid of them.
- The biome bundle witch spawners are great! Please do continue those on the next rev.
- I think the special spawners could be given out as event prizes, with the same rules, that if it's not placed within two weeks the admins will place it (and coordinates made public) and it's free to take. This would also make it so that they're not found right away at the start of the rev. 
- I think unique spawners in the nether would be nice, like magma cube and ghast spawner.
- Maybe make a protected mansion on the map, where the illagers/evokers etc. keep spawning at and can't be destroyed.
- I like the spawner clusters, since it means we don't need to rely on the end grinder and makes actual use of normal zombie/skeleton spawners.

EVENTS

- Adventurers' Guild is a great addition to P.
- Seasonal events: They are good, but should be limited right at the start of the rev and also should not run for a full week (especially when they have custom packs and custom behaviour).
- Because of timezone reasons I prefer events that can be done at anytime, but it's nice to have hard scheduled events now and then too.
- I never got to do the All the Things Challange unfortunately, so would be nice to see it return so I could do it.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

- Parrot eggs please!
- Thank you for making it a one month notice. This is greatly appriciated.
- I am enjoying rev20 a lot and finding myself building a lot more than normally.
- I shall respond again, if I forgot something. :)

Hey @Ethaksus,

Spoiler

On 30/06/2017 at 7:14 PM, Ethaksus said:

I only jump back into minecraft and the rev a few weeks ago, but early on, I found it quite confusing to find how to get to the spawn nether portal. There is /place and all, but the fact that the spawn building only had 1 marked south exit, and 2 unmarked north exits makes it a little challenging to find how to get to the portal, and ended up with me eventually discovering you had to walk all the way around the building. In particular as well if a spawn-based attraction, such as the public gardens, is created, it would be beneficial to attempt to lead people there somewhat if they take a bit of time to read all the signs. 

tl;dr: if there are key interests around spawn, make sure they are accessible from within spawn or there are adequate directions to get there. 

Thanks for your feedback. We’ve noted a number of things already that we need to take into account for our next spawn area, some of which you are echoing here. We noticed this rev that the exits out of spawn led many people in one direction more frequently than others, and that often players were unsure where they could find the nether portal.

Do you have a preference for any particular themes, or anything you’d really like to see included in spawn that isn’t currently? What would you consider the most important features a spawn area should have?

Hey @Aharit,

Spoiler
On 01/07/2017 at 3:17 AM, Aharit said:

Iron Grinders:  I think the cost structure is fine, though I personally abhor wither skel farming, which is the primary cost right now. The costs aren't too hard to find, though new players might be confused by the alert/imgur link setup.  I wonder how hard a searchable help function would be to make, "/helpsearch grinder" giving you a list with iron grinders, grinder rules, etc to choose from and see; so we could bring all the rules in game and into one more accessable command.

Nether Portals: Good number for this size of map, and easy to find in the initial rush.  I'd still prefer a plugin that allows mods to 'link' portals manually, letting us get closer to the vanilla system.

The Nether: Standard nether is all sorts of boring to me. I liked the custom nether from the few previous revs, but wouldn't mind some more cave/mountain-ness to bring it closer to the vanilla style.

Map Generation: Map size is fine, custom biomes are alright, but distribution should change a bit (Less floating islands and clay mountains?) and larger biomes would be nice. As far as water, I'd like only one smaller ocean, possibly a corner, with plenty of large rivers and a few lakes. (No clue how controllable terrain gen is for this)

Ore distributions: Gold, gold gold gold, and gold. Seriously though, not a huge fan of the 'everywhere' ores. I'd like to see each biome have its own strata combined with the boosted vanilla ores; say swamp has lots of coal and iron from surface down, with only normal other ores, and mesa would have boosted gold from y40 to map height, but lower/unboosted levels of ores otherwise (including normal gold rates for lower y levels as if another biome), Extreme hills could have y50+ emerald ore and slight diamonds added, etc.

MapWorld: As nice as the map tiles can be, they've always seemed like too much work. Also, no floor/ceiling placement is a bit of a dealkiller. My ideal, pure fancy, would be to see an external program that palletizes images into the 16,384 byte map color data, which could be uploaded and saved as a map super easy, and then be bought with an ingame command.

Miscellaneous: For the test world, if and only if you can manage worldedit, like C proper. Blogposts were nice as they are.

Spawn: Current spawn is good looking, but a bit annoying to get around, has no stables that I saw, and generally lagged my comp. I'd like a return to a smaller spawn building, akin to rev 2, perhaps with signs used to warp to tutorials / etc elsewhere. Surround it with a lot of curated plots that are given out during events and the like for players to show off their best work in a spawn theme.

Special spawners: I like the 'natural' spawners and their structures added by biome bundle, though the 5+ spawner dungeons/grinders are a tiny bit ridiculous. As a special spawner locating expert, I have to say I really dislike the current hidden sign approach.  Too much luck and terrain scanning, no real challenge except time. I know it requires a large amount of admin effort, but I'd much prefer an exploration quest or something that runs in episodes for the first month or two, or perhaps a system like iron grinders: Naturally occurring mobs of each desired type drop a ' <monster type> core' at a much rarer rate than EoF, which can be used like the iron grinder system (but only leveling up to the power of a normal grinder). If worried about too many spawners over the rev, have each core dropped/used lower the drop rate a tiny bit, and keep them 200+ spaced out. As for added spawners, WITHER SKELETONS. I hate hunting them.

Events:  I'm not a big event player, but I don't mind anything listed being part of the server culture.  Though I did have some issues with the fundraiser maze event; the inability to worldedit was annoying, understandable for the weird P creative 'worlds' setup, being also unable to use C for it less so. Far more bothersome was that I gave nearly a week for any sort of feedback on my completed maze so I could correct any problems for them, and so the maze checking operations could be spread out more; however, I heard not a word about it.

Closing Thoughts:  Seems to be going well, I hope the uber project finishes.

Bringing the spawner costs in-game would certainly be preferable and we can look into seeing how feasible that is. I see you dislike the wither-skeleton hunting aspect of cost collection - do you have any alternatives in mind?

It’s unlikely that vanilla-esque portals will be a possibility within our set-up, but nevertheless we have noted the request from you and some others in this thread, and will discuss it along with other possibilities. If we decide to go for a custom nether again as you prefer, what sort of things would you like to see in it? Do you think the nether should be more or less difficult to traverse than this rev?

In regards to the overworld map, there are certainly options to tweak in terms of how biomes appear and in what frequency. Some of it is up to lucky random generation, and we were fairly new to the config whilst prepping Rev 20, but we will definitely be looking in more detail at what sort of things can be edited if we choose to use it again. Ore generation is definitely a major thing to get right, and you’ve given some interesting suggestions here that we’ll add to our discussions. With spawn, I think stables would be a handy addition, and I also like your ideas about tutorials being accessed by warp, and the concept of curated plots for specific purposes.

Mapworld appears a little underused at present and we’d be interested in any ideas you have for how to make it more appealing to players. An external program is something we could investigate, although it seems that none are currently updated to 1.12 that I’ve found so far.

I see you dislike the current way we approach special spawners. Assuming they make a reappearance next rev, how would you see them ideally working? You mention an ‘exploration quest’ - do you envisage them as a prize for completing a scavenger hunt, or similar?

For the maze event we wanted to ensure that PvE were represented in the upcoming fundraiser, and weren’t sure that many PvE players would participate if the building was done over on the Creative server. The cost of this decision was access to WorldEdit, although many people have built excellent mazes nevertheless. And on a more personal note, apologies for your not having received feedback yet on your maze. Though we’ve accepted it into the fundraiser and done cursory testing, we’ve not yet finished detailed testing that might warrant input from the builder. In future similar circumstances, I’ll endeavour to let people know where we’re at sooner rather than later.

Hey @Silversunset01,

Spoiler
On 01/07/2017 at 4:22 AM, Silversunset01 said:

The only things i can think of right now to comment on:

Ores: We've not really done much with rails this rev because we dont have as much gold as we normally do. Yes, we can do something like netherhunting but that becomes difficult the more people are in the nether, we've always done fine obtaining it via mining. Having the ores at non-standard levels has made mining more difficult if you want to target specific ores. But not impossible

Testworld: Unless there is a way to instantly travel from "where i am now" to "my test area" i actually prefer it on creative (also because world edit....srsly). With mapworld we have to travel to spawn and find the warp sign, and then clear our inventory and tp in. Then travel back. If its on creative i can /creative, /home testing, and then /pve when i'm done. They've left the old test world up for two weeks to let us move thiings over to the new test world and wipe the 'derp'  or unneeded builds. 

Other: The map size was great, I love that we're spread out and the placement of the portals has worked well. Biome bundle seems to have worked wonderfully this time around, the terrain is just lovely. I do miss some of the larger group events (like mob arenas) but the AG stuff is quite nice for those with odd availability and time zones.

More balanced ores seems to a high priority requirement after this rev, and the ore distribution across the y-levels has been polarizing too. It’s something we plan to look at in detail during map preparation for Rev 21.

I agree with your point about the testworld. Without a method of insta-travel, it seems unlikely that having it on P instead of C would ever be preferable. I also enjoy visiting C and this gives me more reasons to do so! Personally I’d prefer to leave the testworld as it is, unless there are significant changes to how we approach it.

I would like to see a mob arena or something similar too, though I enjoy the Adventurer’s Guild and similar unscheduled events just as much. Though it depends upon availability, we will continue to try to put out a variety of different types of event, both scheduled and unscheduled, in order to encourage participation across the server. Do you have other event ideas that you’d like to see happen?                   

Hey @Herr_Fawkes,

Spoiler
On 02/07/2017 at 11:37 PM, Herr_Fawkes said:

Iron Grinders:

• Yes. It should be hard to get a spawner.

• Yes.

• Yes.

• This way works, it's much better than last rev's fixed spawners.

Nether Portals:

• They're far enough apart to encourage travel, which is all I ask. There are a good amount, since having this many allows individuals to get and develop portals while still ensuring that the cities have enough to go around.

• No, they're fine.

The Nether:

• I prefer the custom gen, the glowstone trees and land gen made exploring fun.

• Add a zombie pigman spawner for shits and giggles, maybe even a (slow) wither skelly spawner that is earned as a prize in an event.

Map Generation:

The map is a good size, and things are spread out enough to encourage a good amount of infrastructure building (or at least there'd be decent infrastructure, but more on that later). I like the biomes more than past revs, and the custom trees are fun. I'd like to see fewer dramatic changes between neighboring biomes, like having a desert bordering a dense forest, but that's a Minecraft thing. Ideally, there'd be a portion of the map dedicated to desert/mesa and other portions with their own "ecosystems," like coastal regions, mountains, plains, and forests, where similar biomes are clustered together so that traveling through the world seems smooth and realistic. Biomes seem like a good size. Keep Terrain Control, it's better than Worldpainter or vanilla generation.

Ore distributions:

More gold is necessary for the development of proper rail systems. I miss the days when I could hop on a rail and get just about anywhere. We still have cities and motivated builders, but too little gold means that development can't happen. Other oregen is fine, though diamonds feel a bit sparse. 

MapWorld:

I'd love to see an image converter like Aharit suggested. I tried making a map once, and it took up all the time I'd have liked to use playing the game in the actual PvE map. ImageOnMap seems like a promising server-oriented plugin. I understand that having a mapworld is desirable because it still requires players to put in time to build a map, but the actual building detracts from time that could be spent elsewhere, and on balance I'd rather have people playing PvE than being made to take large amounts of time to make maps. 

Miscellaneous:

I like the blog posts, and would love to see the "Community" section focus on builds more often. The first post had a nice section where settlements got showcased, and it'd be fun to have people submit pics of their towns to put in this section. It'd be good for advertising to new players if we could get them to read it.

Spawn:

• Lighting, it's hard to see inside with a darker RP.

• Yes.

• The size is fine, but I'd rather it be spread out for variety's sake since this rev's is rather vertical.

• Nice design, and I'm glad to see the Adventurer's Guild get its own rooms.

• I'd love to see a classic castle, especially since we've got a modern design this rev.

Special spawners:

• No

• No, just make them harder to find.

• Yes.

• Not that I can think of, maybe a zombie pigman spawner.

Adventurers Guild --

• Yes. It's a great addition to the server.

• Once towns are established, it'd be fun to collab with city mayors to hide things within established builds.

Other Thoughts --

• Yes

• Yes

• Any-time events are more fun, since they're easier to complete on one's own time and they allow long-term collaboration between players attempting them. One-time events are fun, but shouldn't substitute for well-planned rev-long challenges.

Closing Thoughts:

I'm enjoying the rev, but I wish we had our old rail systems back. I'm not sure why they're no longer in vogue to build, though I'd wager it's a combination of elytra and EasyRider making wings and horses more convenient to use than rails are to build. However, with a reintroduction of proper gold spawning levels, I think rails could make a comeback to the point that they're at least useful, and not sparse and half-finished. It's nice to have several methods of transportation, and I think the gold spawning this rev has ruined a good one.

Thanks for your feedback! I’m glad you felt that the method for handling golem spawners this rev was improved over last - a lot of work went into trying to come up with a  fair system that would still add challenge to the gameplay.

You seem like a fan of the current method generating our overworld biomes and terrain, and some of the things you’re suggesting, such as better coordinated biomes, might be possible in the new updates related to Biome Bundle (they have switched terrain generators to Open Terrain Generator, forked from Terrain Control I believe, which has some updated features).

Since you prefer a custom nether - do you have any preferences for things that might appear in the nether? Any particular biomes you enjoyed from previous revs or any structures you’d like to see?

I see you’re making suggestions for custom spawners in the nether in a similar fashion to the overworld. Do you think nether ‘special’ spawners would be a good addition to the server? If so, how do you think they should be obtained?

In regards to mapworld, you are in support of a plugin of some kind, to save players the work of creating custom maps. Would you prefer mapworld did not exist at all, and the work was done entirely automatically? Can you see a way for mapworld to run better than its present state?

More player input for the community section of the blog post is certainly something I’d like to see too, and hopefully we’ll be able to keep improving our output as we go along, based on feedback such as yours.

We’ve recently introduced the Nitwit event, that takes advantage of current towns and player builds when placing down its clues, and we’d certainly be open to exploring this sort of thing further, as the opportunity arises.

Your suggestion for a new spawn build for next rev is great - I love medieval builds myself, and I too would be pleased to see a traditional castle or similar as one of our server builds. I much prefer when thematic elements are tied in well across a range of areas, such as Spawn, Adventurer’s Guild, events etc. and hope to build on this in subsequent revs.

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

@buzzie71

Spoiler

Iron Grinders:

If approximation of vanilla is a concern, I'm admittedly not hugely in favor of the direction that iron grinders are going in - after all, iron grinders don't become that much cheaper to build in vanilla as time goes on.  A lot of the cost structure feels purely like an exercise in rebalancing the game and an attempt to restrict rate of game progression, instead of an approximation of vanilla, so in those terms it feels more artificial than natural.

That aside, it was a neat personal challenge and it did seem to succeed in restricting iron grinder output supply early on in the rev.  I gave it a try but gave up after two T1 spawners though O.o felt I was spending too much time mining and less of it building.

Nether Portals:

There are more Nether portals than usual around, but I think it's a good number given how big the map is, in terms of extending access to the Nether to the entire map.  in my gameplay it feels like a good alternative to elytra in terms of speed of travel, though this rev I've also been based close to portals.

I still wish for the day when portals are handled closer to the vanilla style (ie. everyone can request and get their own portal), but there are a lot of compelling arguments to how impractical that could be.  For now, though, the current system feels fair.

The Nether:

One thing I am beginning to appreciate is that it is much harder to build a good zombie pigman farm platform in the vanilla Nether, even with access to the rooftop, than it was in the custom Nether.  Other than constructing the platform and killing pigmen, I spent a little time collecting quartz ore - it was refreshing to negotiate across a chasm that opened to lava.

Map Generation:

Relative to old PvE maps, this map was gigantic.  Even flights between adjacent portal towns felt like long-distance flying due to the time it took to glide from one to the other.  Travel felt more expensive.

Exotic terrain and strange ruins are always a welcome sight, even if the map shows imperfections in other ways.  It was fun to see them on the map; they looked new and different without seeming too alien to the Minecraft landscape.

Ore distributions:

This rev I didn't lay rails or maintain a horse, and I switched off to leather and wood equipment from gold the previous rev, so the relative shortage of gold didn't feel that limiting for me actually (plus getting some gold from killing pigmen).  The wider spread in ore distribution makes it possible to see ores in caves or abandoned mine shafts far away from 0-11, which is fun to come across too.  That said, it felt annoying to search for diamond from branch mining (mainly for the iron grinder), and harder still for emerald - but given the randomness of branch mining, maybe that is the wrong attitude to approach it.

MapWorld:

The main feedback I'd offer for the mapworld this rev is the ability to place maps in the item frames in the scale model at spawn.  Other than that, I quite liked the setup of the mapworld spawn this time around. 

Miscellaneous:

I like the way the blog posts are structured now - the emphasis on updating the community as well as showcasing it fosters a stronger community feel and adds that additional layer of experience to playing on the server.  There isn't much I'd change about them.

Spawn:

Main thing for spawn this rev is that it lags my client a bit when it first renders ._. but otherwise I do like it.

Events:

I like the Adventurer's Guild - it's good to have quests available whenever players are ready, as well as a central launch point for them.  I think it's also good that those are offered along with events that happen at a predetermined time.  

Also, in terms of seasonal events - I don't think they necessarily need to coincide with or be themed around real world holidays, as long as they are short and announced ahead of time.

Closing Thoughts:

I don't have much else I want to build for the second half - when I planned for this rev I intentionally went small, thinking I wouldn't spend that much time playing on P this rev.  Then I finish my tower in a month, building in my area has more or less ceased, and I find that I have a lot of time on my hands.  Probably a good thing, actually.

Amazing work on the map this time around; it's been a fun map to explore.  

Diving right into your feedback on the iron grinders Buzzie, you’re right that our decreasing costs were an attempt to rebalance the game somewhat with them. I do agree that there is certainly an aspect of that which makes them less than vanilla but one point that I would raise is that we have always had to make up a cost requirement with these since dropping the truer-to-vanilla approach of requesting 16 villagers to be sacrificed.

Since revision 18 where costs were adjusted to include other items such as wither skeleton skulls, costs have fluctuated between being slightly more punishing to incredibly easy. In your observation that it created a challenge to obtaining them by having higher costs earlier in the revision and also restricted them from being flooded onto the server early on, this was our intent. Alongside this, it was our intent for the iron golem spawners to be obtainable from day one with a clear path on how to obtain them.

When it comes to the nether portal placement, it does seem that people have now seen our pattern for placement. We chose the locations to be far away from one another but also to cover as much of the map as possible. I noted down the approximate locations of each target portal location and then made a note of the nearby biomes before choosing a unique biome for each to promote a bit of diversity.

If there was a system in place that allowed for individuals or groups to request a portal, how would you go about implementing such a procedure? While there are certainly some impractical elements involved here which I don’t have answers to address, I could envision something working on a first-come first-served basis within a range.

With the nether, it certainly has been refreshing to return to a vanilla nether and explore the dangers and pitfalls that it brings. Sadly though it has brought back familiar issues as such with wither skeleton spawning compared with a custom nether which becomes an issue when we’ve set nether stars as requirements for iron golem spawners.

One of the big draws to us using the biome bundle for the map generation was to try to reintroduce a sense of wonder again with the world, without diverting far from simply manipulating vanilla terrain with fancier tools. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed exploring!

Ore distributions is certainly something we’ve heard a lot of feedback on. Namely gold given how important it is for upgrading horse health and introducing rails across a rather large map. You’ve made an interesting observation regarding branch mining and how that has been less effective for finding ores such as diamonds compared with cave mining. We’re certainly looking to work with Pez to address the distribution and balance of ores for revision 21.

When you suggest being able to place maps in the plots at mapworld spawn, would you like this to be available to all? We did find that last revision where spawn was set up this way that people simply griefed the maps and we ended up having to protect the spawn area before fixing it all. What we can do is to maintain this ourselves as staff possibly and to add maps to the spawn plots as each modreq comes in maybe?

I appreciate your feedback on the blog posts! It’s good to know that we seem to be on the right tracks there. Would you happen to have any considerations to put forward for the community focus in future? So far we’ve had the focus on settlements, a server-wide project. Upcoming will be individuals and then padmin interviews. Should we look to address any other areas of the community?

Spawn can sometimes take a little while to render, particularly when first visiting on computers that are less capable of handling it. We could look into addressing this with a more spread out spawn in future as presently we are trying to load in a lot in a relatively small number of chunks.

We will keep adding a mixture of time sensitive and non-time sensitive Adventurer’s Guild events for people to enjoy. We do agree that it’s good for people to be able to jump right into an event and we certainly have more planned for the current revision as well as a thread for revision 21 to implement more.

Good luck to you if ever you do work on that gigantic iron block ship that you have talked about in the past! Hopefully with the pressure off for you to build, you can enjoy some smaller projects and continue participating in events that come up. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

Edited by Barlimore

Guest Former Staff

@Forever_A_Steve

Spoiler
On 06/07/2017 at 5:28 AM, Forever_A_Steve said:

iron grinders:

too expensive. The fact that you make it dependent on the nether makes it very unattainable for anyone who isn't a major town. If you keep the skull requirement, then any skull should be eligible to be traded in. That way it's not taxing in the nether and players are more free to explore and conquer. 

Ore: This rev hasn't been fun because of it, honestly. I quit trying to build out to other places. I understand the ore had been "plumped" (bullshit obviously), but the non vanilla factor and certain resource scarcity really ruined the fun.

Closing thoughts: One thing that i truly enjoyed this rev was the dungeons. Those have been absolutely fantastic! I'm disappointed because theres no new ones to discover, really.  Maybe a new one every few days or something? The lust to explore really died when the interesting stuff was all found. 

I havent really been on too much lately and the reason is not because im bored with minecraft, but it's because it's simply not fun this rev. Attainability is a huge thing for me and if it's not doable even with the effort, then it's not worth the effort and thats my problem with this. I work 45-55 hours a week with a ton of other stuff going on in my life. I don't have the hours upon hours it takes to get this stuff. I know things take an effort, but this rev made certain projects unrealistic in ways. I just really hope rev 21 is better...

Hello Steve, I want to start with your feedback at the top on the cost of iron grinders. I can certainly see the concern where there is a funnel in the cost requirements when it comes to wither skeleton skulls for the nether stars and how that can be a hinderance on acquiring the spawners without a town effort. That said, I do want to point you to the costs which lower over time so that they would become cheaper to obtain and upgrade than even the last revision. How do you feel about us continuing this approach to try to balance the costs earlier on compared with later in a rev?

When it comes to knowing more about special spawners, it does seem that other people have already responded and made you aware of the document which lists all found spawners which we keep updated. This point is probably going to be more important than anything else that I respond to in your feedback as I am going to link you to a post here which is from a slightly younger version of yourself. The only reason we considered adding a public document listing the spawners as they are found, as well as the total number available is because of you. We want you to know that we’re actively looking out for constructive feedback and will always consider it.

When it comes to your closing thoughts, you mentioned how limited your time is and how you want to enjoy that time more productively. One of the points you raised was attainability. Which elements did you find less obtainable for this revision and would you mind sharing some examples of how this affected you? For example, lack of gold this revision has limited horse health increases or powered rails.

Guest Former Staff

@bermudalocket

Spoiler
On 30/06/2017 at 3:17 PM, Cujobear said:

Iron Grinders:

• Did the costs of spawners and upgrades feel fair? Yes

• Were the costs clear to you? Yes

• Should we continue with this method of obtaining iron golem spawners? I don't see any problems with it.

• Is it time to find a new way of acquiring iron golem spawners? I'd personally like a more involved process but that's just because I enjoy building ridiculous things.

Nether Portals:

• How do you feel about the number of portals and their placement on the map? Great!

• Would you like to see nether portals handled differently? if so, how? I'm still of the opinion that there should be a way to get a portal placed after the rev begins, a la iron spawners. Limit 1 per household (i.e. town or person (if going solo)) possibly with some kind of "no portals within X blocks of another portal" restriction in order to continue to facilitate map traversal and exploration.

The Nether:

• Would you like to see a vanilla nether again? Yes

Map Generation:

• How did you like the size of the map? Too big? Too small? Just right.

• If we had a smaller map, how would you feel about a second overworld appearing during the mid-rev? A what now? I don't like that idea. I think it would create more isolation. I also don't really think the C method of expanding the map X days into the rev would work too well either in survival.

• How did you feel about the terrain and custom biomes and structures? LOVE

• Were there any custom biomes you would like to see again? Yes -- the ones with podzol/dirt + individual water sources dotted throughout. Also the melting glacier.

• Were there any custom biomes you absolutely hated? The. Fucking. Steep. Cliffs. OMG. /implode

• Would you like to see the size of the biomes changed? Some could be bigger

• How did you feel about the land to water ratio? Satisfactory

• Should we go back to a 100% vanilla map? Pls no

• Should we go back to a World Painted map? Nah, I'd like to see what else the new method can do.

Ore distributions:

• How do you feel about ore distribution this rev? (yes we are aware there wasn’t enough gold) Great, minus the gold issue.

• What are your thoughts on finding ores like diamonds at y levels and in areas that stepped away from vanilla distribution? Fine with me.

MapWorld:

• For those of you who didn’t use mapworld, which features would encourage you to create maps there? I personally just find the process unenjoyable so I don't think anything would tempt me to use it more. /ADHD

Miscellaneous:

• Midway through the rev we saw the creative testworld reset on C. So that we can control the world resetting, would you be open to the possibility of a creative-mode flatworld with plots setup for testing builds and schematics? I do enjoy the fact that the testworld is on C, since it "forces" you to spend time on both servers.

• Which sections would you cull, which would you want to see added? I don't really have any specific thoughts for improvement, but I do enjoy the blog posts!

Spawn:

• Was there anything you felt spawn and the spawn area was missing this rev? A way for horses to go straight through the building instead of having to go around /lazy

• Was is it easy to find food and the exit? Yup

• Would you prefer a bigger/smaller spawn? If so, why? Hummmm. No opinion.

• Any other thoughts regarding spawn? Tree Bun is a dirty imposter.

• We’ve had a number of different themes for spawns across 20 revisions, from pirate ships to airships and everything in-between! Which themes would you like to see in future spawns? Will think more about this.

Special spawners:

• Should special spawners be removed from the map? No!!

• To avoid rarer items being flooded into the economy early, should we look into adding these later into a revision? I don't really consider any of the special spawner drops (i.e. gunpowder, slime, even shulker shells) to be rare.

• Did you like the added spawners from Biome Bundles custom structures? Yeah! I loved that, actually.

• Are there any unique spawners you'd like to see added? Didy spawner.

Events:

Adventurers Guild --

• Do you enjoy having hunts held by the Adventurers Guild? I love the AG so so so much.

• Are there ideas you would like to share for future scavenger hunts or events? ;D

Seasonal Events --

• Which events/holidays would you like to see us celebrate and how would you recommend we tastefully do that? I think it would be nice to have mini-events, like the Leprechaun and turkey events, for all major holidays. I don't think it would be particularly difficult to ensure we stay tasteful -- i.e., even though Easter is a denominational holiday, it could be twisted to be more of a "spring" celebration.

Other Thoughts --

• Are you missing the All the Things Challenge? I never thought I would say this: yes.

• Would you like to see the return of a grand challenge next rev? YES!

• How would you like to see pop up events (unannounced mini challenges) run by staff? How? Well... I mean, I always assumed that Cujo woke up in the middle of the night and began levitating off her bed. Her eyelids part, revealing pearl-white eyes. "All The Things Challenge," she booms. Thunder cracks. She falls back to her bed, sound asleep. It begins.

• Would you prefer if we focused on more events which you can do at any time you want or for more events which bring us all together for a specific time? Any time, only because my schedule is erratic and it's difficult for me to be able to say for sure if I'll be able to be on at a specific time.

• We’ve started the ethos of letting you choose your own prize from a selection of prizes with the addition of the Adventurer’s Guild Prize Trading room and this will continue into future events. Which prizes would you like to see made available in future? I love the enchanted apple prize idea. To me, that's the ultimate prize until my horse's health is maxxed out. After that, maybe some kind of voucher system where if you collect X amount of vouchers (over Y amount of events), you can then trade in Z amount for an enchantment buff -- i.e.:

• X vouchers to add Smite V, Sharp V, Bane V to a *SINGLE* sword that already has a buff enchant

• Y vouchers to upgrade Looting 3 to Looting (3 + #) on a *SINGLE* sword

• Z vouchers to add Fire Prot IV / Prot IV / Blast Prot IV / Proj Prot IV to a *SINGLE* piece of armor that already has a protection enchant

• Q vouchers to upgrade Knockback 2 or Punch V to Knockback 10 or Punch 10 (or whatever)

• I know this would be difficult to implement and/or tedious to keep up with, so that might have to be thought through a little more. Just a quick brainstorm: easysign, custom villager trade table

Closing Thoughts:

• We’re reaching around halfway through the revision now and will announce the revision 21 reset schedule a month in advance when we get that far. For now though, how are you finding revision 20? My favorite rev on nerd so far.

• What would you like to achieve in the second half of the revision? I have a huge to-do list: finish Haven Tower (main build and terraforming), max out my horse's health, complete my "Bermuda Adventures!" trophy "case".

Hello Bermuda, thank you for going through the questions in turn. I’m going to pick up from your iron golem spawner comment. How would you go about creating a more involved process for obtaining them?

With the idea of allowing nether portals to be requested per individual or settlement provided that there are no other portals within a particular range, I do like this idea but would like to ask a few follow up questions to get feedback on some of the more questionable areas of the idea.

Would these nether portals cost anything to light other than falling within the size / shape requirements that regular portals have to adhere to? Should / how could we go about enforcing a limit per person / settlement, particularly if people have settled in multiple locations and wish to connect portals to themselves? Should such a system always work on a first-come basis? How should we determine the requirements for getting a portal lit up and enabled, if any?

This idea is certainly a little closer to the direction of vanilla, so we’re very interested to hear more feedback on the concept.

When it comes to the nether, might I ask what draws you to a vanilla nether over a custom generated nether? If there was a custom generated nether which provided elements of what you enjoy about the vanilla nether, would this change your mind?

From your reactions to the map generation section, it seems that you’ve had some mixed but overall positive experiences with the Biome Bundle tool! With the point we put forward about a mid-rev overworld being added, we saw this as an option to include a small overworld which could have greater resources, challenges and dangers available to explore. This would allow people who missed the day one map rush have the opportunity to experience that later in a revision too.

Mapworld is an unenjoyable process for you from what I can see. Would you prefer alternatives made available to creating intricate maps on P which could be obtained for decoration?

We’ve noted your accessibility request with regards to spawn. You mentioned thinking more on various themes we could consider for future spawns. If you have had a chance to think of some, which come to mind for you?

We will keep in mind your request to have a focus on more events which are not timezone-sensitive. I do like your idea for a more thought-out prize distribution system from some of our events!

Overall, thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback! You’ve left us with a lot of questions so hopefully we’ll hear back from you again soon.

Edited by Barlimore

Guest Former Staff

@yukiism

Spoiler
4 hours ago, yukiism said:

Map Generation:

I think the map should be mostly vanilla but I really like how the clay was incorporated into the terrain.  The map size as it is is good as well.

Ore distributions:

I think Iron is a bit too common with spawners in the game.  I could see it being that plentiful to mine if we didn't have the spawners but as it is, it's EVERYWHERE.

Miscellaneous:

I think that it would be a good idea to setup a sort of tutorial plot in creative to show newer players how to build common circuits etc.

Some means of redyeing clay perhaps like how we can use bonemeal on double slabs etc. would synergize well with the abundance of clay on the map.  eg. redye cyan clay from mountains

Hello yukiism, thank you for your feedback on the map generation and ore distributions! We’ll consider them along with all of the other feedback.

I think you have a really great idea with the tutorials on how some of the more nuanced differences on P work, or even just to display some basic redstone tutorials. We have a number of unique gameplay changes such as the use of bonemeal on double slabs as part of the ShroomWithAView plugin made by totemo which would be beneficial to demonstrate. We can certainly consider displaying these at an area such as spawn in future!

Edited by Barlimore

Guest Former Staff

@Zomise

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Zomise said:

IRON GRINDERS

- I think the cost going down each month is a great way of doing it, however I think it might be a bit too cheap in the end.
- Even the T4 iron grinders seem a bit overpowered. The ease of getting iron was such, that I got several beacons scattered in the world where I've been speedmining.
- I think the cost should be changed away from wither skeleton skulls. I was thinking of ways and how about a rare drop of iron golem heads from all mobs? Then to get a spawner, otherwise the costs would be the same, but in addition instead of nether stars, you'd need 3-5 iron golem heads?

NETHER PORTALS

- This is probably the first rev I'm happy with the amount and locations of the nether portals. They're well spaced and the corners weren't forgotten, so that's good.
- I would like to suggest one rev to try, that if a settlement qualifies for a /place, it would then be allowed to build a nether portal. Since you already have set requirements for /place and it doesn't count out solo players either, it would seem a fair way of doing it without having too many. Of course expections as distance from spawn/other portals would be needed to take into account.

THE NETHER

- The vanilla nether just isn't interesting, please give us the custom nether back. It also didn't suffer that badly from the wither skeleton nerf multiplayer causes.
- With a custom nether, it would also be a great place to put event dungeons in.

MAP GENERATION

- The size of the map is perfect. With wings everything is so much closer, so this is a good size, allowing a variety of biomes.
- I absolutely love the biome bundle map generation and I hope we'll see it in the future too. Especially the naturally generated sky islands and the mesa plateaus that rise up high are amazing.
- I'd suggest, maybe make the map borders high mountains/plateaus, so that the map border wouldn't be so... obvious.
- I prefer the biome bundle map over vanilla and world painted ones.
- Need more flower forests (that are actually that, and don't just pretend to be).

ORE DISTRIBUTION

- The sponge recipe is a bit weird. I preferred when they spawned in the ocean floor, but it's better than nothing.
- As you know, gold was a bit of a miss this rev.
- I like that all ores spawn at all levels, since it allows you to tunnel at different levels and makes caving more interesting.
- I'd suggest, that keep all ores at all levels as they are this rev, but in addition would be nice to have the biome specific extra ores (like gold in mesa biomes).

MAP WORLD

- I like map world as an idea, but the it takes so much time, that I haven't used it since that one time couple revs ago.
- I would love the map world to persist between revs, since this would allow making of "household stuff" to stay from rev to rev like TV's for example, that are cool to have, but annoying to make every rev. And some of the art work are stunning and great to use for longer than just one rev.
- Other than that, probably only allowing to use printer in the mapworld would make me use it, but I can't really justify it.

MISCELLANEOUS

- Originally I thought P having its own test build world would be great, but it was brought up, that it would probably be a sign like tha mapworld at spawn, and the hazzle of emptying inventory and travelling really is a bit much. I guess if C's test world wouldn't reset in the middle of a P rev, it would be great.
- Blog posts are awesome. Make Didy do infographics for them. :D

SPAWN

- Spawn is too big and too laggy. I tested around with this shitty computer I am at, and I can otherwise get upto 120fps (I tend to lock it to 60fps), but the instant I look at spawn, it drops to 8-15fps. It's ridiculous. I think a smaller spawn would be better and try to limit the entities. Some people even freeze totally when they go there.
- Was easy to find out and get the melons, but... smaller and simpler please.

SPECIAL SPAWNERS

- I think special spawners are a positive part of P and we should not get rid of them.
- The biome bundle witch spawners are great! Please do continue those on the next rev.
- I think the special spawners could be given out as event prizes, with the same rules, that if it's not placed within two weeks the admins will place it (and coordinates made public) and it's free to take. This would also make it so that they're not found right away at the start of the rev. 
- I think unique spawners in the nether would be nice, like magma cube and ghast spawner.
- Maybe make a protected mansion on the map, where the illagers/evokers etc. keep spawning at and can't be destroyed.
- I like the spawner clusters, since it means we don't need to rely on the end grinder and makes actual use of normal zombie/skeleton spawners.

EVENTS

- Adventurers' Guild is a great addition to P.
- Seasonal events: They are good, but should be limited right at the start of the rev and also should not run for a full week (especially when they have custom packs and custom behaviour).
- Because of timezone reasons I prefer events that can be done at anytime, but it's nice to have hard scheduled events now and then too.
- I never got to do the All the Things Challange unfortunately, so would be nice to see it return so I could do it.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

- Parrot eggs please!
- Thank you for making it a one month notice. This is greatly appriciated.
- I am enjoying rev20 a lot and finding myself building a lot more than normally.
- I shall respond again, if I forgot something. :)

I see that you have some very interesting ideas for moving us away from a reliance on wither skeleton skulls and onto a skull drop that may make a bit more sense to consider, the iron golems themselves. The intention for the final cost being very cheap is intended as a means for allowing people in the late revision to obtain iron golem spawners with greater ease to focus more on building and finishing projects than just on gathering materials. That said, we can look into compromises. Which costs do you feel should be the lowest we end at during a revision?

One suggestion we had last revision to address some of the tier X grinders being overpowered would be to limit the number of iron golem spawners permitted. For example, instead of four, there could be two. Would you like us to reconsider this approach?

I’m relieved that you’re happy with the nether portal placement. A lot of time went into the consideration of how each portal was placed, where they were placed and the quantity of them to give the map a decent amount of coverage.

We’ve had a few other people make suggestions on allowing nether portals to be granted through means other than those which are hidden on the map at the start. While I do like the varying versions of this similar idea, we’d have to be careful tying up /places to allowing people to request a portal to be lit as place requests are already hugely subjective for our own team. With each place request we will all give our individual opinions as padmins and come together for a majority decision which if portals were accessible to places then we would consider this too in our feedback. If we can look into ways of making this idea more process orientated with less judgement calls involved then I think we could put together something that could work well for most.

Event dungeons in the nether seems like a really fun idea. Padmin-created dungeons are something that I would be very interested to see us introduce into the next revision as another challenge to acquire loot and explore with friends. Which elements would you like to see in an event dungeon?

The vanilla nether certainly brings a different set of challenges compared with our custom nethers of the past, including some less welcome challenges which are focused around mob spawns. If we created a custom nether for next revision then aside from event dungeons, what are the top features you’d like to see included (terrain-wise)?

With the map generation, we can look into playing around with the Biome Bundle tool which is updated under a new name for 1.12 to play around with your suggestions. We’ve loved using it too and we’re glad that you’ve enjoyed it!

If we address ore distribution then it is likely that our sponge recipe will go the way of the Dodo as this was brought in to address the near-complete absence of sponge into the map. We certainly hear you on the gold ore requests!

I think that you’re right on mapworld, that it’s something where people can create some stunning works of art but it may make sense to allow the world to persist across revisions. We could look into this option provided that we can keep the worldguard database for mapworld up to retain region owners for map plots.

There are some pros to us having control over our own testworld, such as being able to reset it on our own terms. That said, you’ve highlighted one of the drawbacks where people would have to travel to spawn and empty an inventory before using it, which is far less cumbersome than typing a single command and being transported to where you need to be.

We’ll keep the blogposts up! There may be some similar community themes that we revisit in future blog posts that make sense to do (such as focuses on settlements in the early-rev). We have some interviews planned with padmins on rev building for a future blog post and a focus on individuals for this next blog post. Are there any other areas of the community you feel we should feature?

We understand some of the accessibility issues you’ve raised with us regarding spawn. The issue here may be that we have too much packed within a limited space but we can look into spreading future spawns out a little more so that we retain the same attention to detail but have it in a way that may be better for performance.

Having at least some custom spawners made available through events would take away some of the time and  luck involved in finding them which may be more fun to participate in. We’ll consider this for next revision! So far this revision, we’ve seen a lot of spawners focused only in the overworld so we can also revisit adding spawners elsewhere such as in the nether.

In the past, seasonal events have hit early into a revision that caused a lot of disruption to gameplay with the way in which they were implemented. If in future a seasonal event comes up early into the revision then we plan to celebrate it but with a less-intrusive event. Socarch’s buns is an example of such an event which was originally intended to be a 1-2 week event over Easter that allowed people to engage with, without it being intrusive. We will try our best to be conscious of the duration that such seasonal events have and the wider impact that they may have on P.

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback and also for organising the your response into categories which made it far easier to respond to. ;-)

Edited by Barlimore

Guest Former Staff
2 hours ago, Trooprm32 said:

If you get to making another custom nether next rev, please set the entire nether zone as the hell biome. None of this "plains" shit in the nether for easy wither skeleton spawns, it doesn't make sense.

Assuming there is a custom nether next revision where we set the whole thing to a hell biome, this wouldn't address the lack of nether fortresses which don't generate in prior custom nethers. How would you propose we go about addressing these in a way that makes sense?

Are there any other elements of a custom nether that you'd like to see introduced?

9 hours ago, Barlimore said:

Assuming there is a custom nether next revision where we set the whole thing to a hell biome, this wouldn't address the lack of nether fortresses which don't generate in prior custom nethers. How would you propose we go about addressing these in a way that makes sense?

Are there any other elements of a custom nether that you'd like to see introduced?

Nether fortresses are togglable in configuration; the first custom nether we had did have them.

I have no further thoughts at this time however regarding the nether.

• Guest locked this topic
  • Guest unpinned this topic