Moving Forward: Preparations for CTF Take #2

totemo

The new features for the different kinds of blocks is brilliant. I'd also like to probably leave it to the players to figure out what does what exactly - just hint that more than just wool does damage, and some blocks have positive effects!

I will keep the actual configuration file off github then.

The last bit of hard work I have to do is the jungle, and the nether-y volcano in it. The rest of what I have left to do in World Painter is just adjusting the land a bit and putting forests + biomes in.

For the nether biome, please include naturally occurring nether warts.  These need to occur in enough locations that it is unlikely that a single team will have exclusive access to potion ingredients.  We also need some glowstone for brewing, and players need to be able to obtain blaze rods.

For the nether biome, please include naturally occurring nether warts.  These need to occur in enough locations that it is unlikely that a single team will have exclusive access to potion ingredients.  We also need some glowstone for brewing, and players need to be able to obtain blaze rods.

Glowstone is already in, although I think we might want to add more. And I'm planning to add in the netherwart by hand, I don't think I can do that with World Painter.

Meant to write this update post a few days ago:

World Painter wise, the map is done. Only thing left is to fix with World Edit/by hand some weird things that happened. Once S is all set it'll be ready to get. In the mean time I'll work on it in single player. I'll list them out to make it easier.

1. Populating the world put some water pockets over the mountains, making massive, unwanted waterfalls. I started to clean it up by hand then I realized I needed to put the map back into WP, and lost that progress. Forcing rain to re-cover the water fall areas in snow after would also be a good idea.

-Progress reverted because ores are silly.

2. The jungle's volcano nether needs a little TLC. I wanted it to be rougher, and have more natural ways to get to the center. However small details aren't World Painter's strong point. If anyone wants to work on this, please talk to me first so I can show/better explain what I intended for that area.

3. For the nether areas, I want to add in spawners. Not too many, but we at least need some blaze and ghast spawners for potion ingredients. The spawner blocks themselves should be protected to access to needed ingredients isn't cut off. The biomes there are set to hell, so mobs might spawn naturally. But spawners should keep things going quickly.

4. There are a few small lava pockets around the map that need cleaning up. Please don't ask.

5. Nether wart needs to be planted in the nether areas. I'd be generous with it. We might also want to go around and plump glowstone by hand. Some spawned naturally, but a lot is going to be need. (Luckily mini game prizes will fill the gap).

Edit: I added in glowstone, nether quartz, and soul sand as ores throughout the map. They're a little more rare than the plumped diamonds, if I remember correctly.

6. Base walls, flag stands, and mini games need to be pasted in. I say we ditch the derpy inner wall I made last time and just use two layers of the square wall (that I actually spent time on) for an inner and outer wall. Land in the cardinal directions is mostly below y 70, so there's plenty of head room for the games to be pasted in.

I think that covers it all, hopefully if I missed something one of you will catch it.

Edit: Going with Tharine's coloring system to show what's complete/incomplete. Should make things simpler.

• 3 weeks later...

As of a few minutes ago I've checked in the updated CutePVP 2.0 code.

It's completely untested at the moment.  I'll be doing my own basic testing of that in the next day or so and then hopefully it will be ready to open up for staff testing.  

In a moment of inattention, I checked in my configuration for the special building materials and their buffs.  I've deleted that off github and tried to cover my tracks, but I'm no expert on git.  There's a chance that some of the sharper ones will go over the commit message and see that stuff.  All is not lost though, since I intended to change many of those to use stained clay instead of wool.  The possibility of much of that being a complete (only discoverable in-game during the event) secret is still there.

Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

• Upvote 2

In a moment of inattention, I checked in my configuration for the special building materials and their buffs.  I've deleted that off github and tried to cover my tracks, but I'm no expert on git.  There's a chance that some of the sharper ones will go over the commit message and see that stuff.  All is not lost though, since I intended to change many of those to use stained clay instead of wool.  The possibility of much of that being a complete (only discoverable in-game during the event) secret is still there.

If you do want to actually remove it (so it doesn't show up like it does here), you can follow this tutorial: GitHub Help: Remove sensitive data.

Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

:D

Alright. Thanks for that. I recalled seeing something along those lines before and was too tired to tackle it.

I still think that it's in the category of the spoken word and the sped arrow.  So, although I have followed those instructions to purge the repository of the history of that file, we'll run with a configuration that uses stained clay instead of wool for those buff blocks.

I had a look at the map on my desktop just now.  It looks very nice.  I have a few comments on it:

• It's rendered out to +/- 768. Just want to verify that that is the intended size.
  • There's loads of clay in the swamps, which is nice.
  • I'm of the opinion that the ore plump is a little bit too full-on.  I'd like to get some contrasting opinions though.  Mining in straight line (mostly ignoring the other ores and just taking the diamond) I got a stone:diamond ratio that never went much above 10:1 which is very easy for branch mining.  I did some Watson shots and also ended up using //removenear to get rid of stone/gravel/dirt.

6BezeDW.jpg

W2VbxY8.jpg

e3S3TCr.png

WnrAhZt.png

A quick update on the state of the plugin: most things work and have been tested.  I've tested commands to set up the flags and buffs, loading and saving of teams, scores, buff state, flag steals, captures and returns, buffs applied from team and enemy blocks, setting the wool helmet, respawning, compasses pointing to the nearest own team flag.

The only thing that I haven't tested at the moment is special building blocks with their accompanying buffs.  But they share a lot of code with own/enemy team wool buffs and the capturable team buffs, so I don't expect them to give me much trouble.

After that I will have run out of things that I can test on my own.  I'll set up a simple test map (actually what I had on red server a while back) and enlist staff to try to break it.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest changes and items requiring action:

Items in red can be done by any admin or moderator.

• event.nerd.nu
    • kitcatbar's most recent World Painter'd map is installed here.  This is the actual map we will use for the event.  Any edits you do to this map are 'official' and will be experienced by players.
    • The lobby spheres build has been pasted into the end.  /tppos world_the_end 0 64 0
      • Requires manual checking of water flows and redstone devices to make sure I haven't broken anything.  It had to be pasted in piecemeal.
    • Plugin data files reset: LogBlock logs, SafeBuckets, LWC database, WorldEdit region database.
    • A basic protection made in the end dimension to prevent PvP, block editing and mob spawning.
      • Requires additional regions to be created with higher priority to allow PvP where required for minigames.  May require additional flags if you can think of them.
        • ​KOTH PvP allow region.
        • Spleef floor build allow region.
    • Some plugin configurations done by editing modifying copies of Survival plugin configurations:
      • KitchenSink
      • LogBlock
      • LWC
      • ModMode - configuration reset
      • WorldBorder - border at +/-600 overworld +/-300 end
      • WorldGuard config.yml and blacklist for 'world'.
      • Other plugin configurations still need to be checked.  The configuration will be based heavily on that of survival.  PlumpXP and Enchantism will be included.

Other action items: 

• A first-join lobby must be created in the overworld as the initial player spawn must be in that dimension.  This area should contain rules signs.  Players will join the event and be assigned to teams by entering the /join command (still to be written).
  • A first-join book explaining the game mechanics and rules of CTF must be written.
  • Team bases must be constructed from schematic pieces at about -,- 500 (NW) and +,+500 (SE). Use //schem list.
  • A few additional dungeons to be added under bases. However, the map does include dungeons.
  • Netherwart to be hand-planted in volcanic and nether areas of the overworld - NE and SW corners.
  • Warp signs to and from the end dimension need to be created in team bases.

Status of the plugin:

• Some items from the previous round of testing fixed.  Some issues to do with managing staff and team assignment still to do.
  • I will probably set up another round of plugin testing in about 24 hours.

I'm leaving in a couple hours and will be pretty busy for the next week, but if anyone has questions about the map I'll be able to check the forums and get on mumble sometimes to answer.

As for the walls, each side should go like this: 1 tower, 7 wall sections, 1 enterance, 7 wall sections, 1 enterance, 7 wall sections, 1 tower for 25 bits total on each side. Not sure if the wall was saved whole or in sections, since it was put together in sections last time. I wanted to just use a smaller version of the outer wall for the inner one this time, rather than the derpy circle I made on the spot. I would only put one enterance on the center of each wall, but other than that just wing it on what seems like a good length. Last thing I can think of is just make sure the tower enterance are oriented correctly. And if they were saved before I added those in, I can make them when I get on. I still have them made in single player.

I'm leaving in a couple hours and will be pretty busy for the next week, but if anyone has questions about the map I'll be able to check the forums and get on mumble sometimes to answer.

As for the walls, each side should go like this: 1 tower, 7 wall sections, 1 enterance, 7 wall sections, 1 enterance, 7 wall sections, 1 tower for 25 bits total on each side. Not sure if the wall was saved whole or in sections, since it was put together in sections last time. I wanted to just use a smaller version of the outer wall for the inner one this time, rather than the derpy circle I made on the spot. I would only put one enterance on the center of each wall, but other than that just wing it on what seems like a good length. Last thing I can think of is just make sure the tower enterance are oriented correctly. And if they were saved before I added those in, I can make them when I get on. I still have them made in single player.

I put them together last time, I can do it again per these specifications.

Other tasks that I omitted before:

• The inner region of the bases should be protected as a region named after the team: 'red' or 'blue', respectively.  This region will automatically have team members added to it and can be used for LWC r:region chest protection.  Before I added the feature to automatically add players to this region, I would have said set build: allow as well, but now it shouldn't matter.  I don't think this region should go too deep: it should be possible for the other team to burrow under the base and enter via a team's own tunnels if the fortifications are insufficient.
  • The section of the bases between the outer and inner walls should be protected as a region that nobody can edit: red_no_mans_land<N>, blue_no_mans_land<N>.  This region should be as deep as the inner base region.
  • Two team buffs need to be built in the NE and SW corners, respectively; one in the nether area, the other in the volcano.  It's not essential, but I think the claimable block should be a beacon, for the extra pizzazz.  There should be some kind of obstacle course to reach the buff, like for example, floating safe-buckets water that you have to swim through or a parkour course with ice, ladders, iron bars etc to walk on.  It has to be somewhat challenging, but not utterly inaccessible.  The two teams will be vying to claim these and will probably attempt to shoot each other off the course with bows.

Since things seem to be moving along I was wondering is this list (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J53n5pUdon5FF6dqKBO3-h_xP63xJnhMIJvsXBIjxsQ/edit) is still current or if it needs to be revised.

Didn't even know that existed.

The way the new plugin works, if you are in ModMode, you will see the chats of both teams and you will be listed (/teams command) as 'staff'.  Otherwise not.  The normal /list command will also be available.

The system is set up so that anyone on the staff can participate in the PvP as they wish.  If you don't want to play at all, simply never type /join and you will never be assigned to a team.

Just now I've added a /koth command for the minigame in The End.  It keeps track of the total time in seconds that a team's red or blue wool block sits on the bedrock platform at the top of the KOTH arena.  The two subcommands of interest are '/koth score' to show the current score and /koth reset (staff only) to reset the scores and remove any block in the scoring position.  Typing '/koth' on its own shows usage.  Requires some testing by unprivileged players.  Works in my own testing.

The /koth command is written so that it can be reused on any of the servers with up to 16 distinct teams (all wool colours).

Latest changes and items requiring action:

Items in red can be done by any admin or moderator.

• event.nerd.nu
    • kitcatbar's most recent World Painter'd map is installed here.  This is the actual map we will use for the event.  Any edits you do to this map are 'official' and will be experienced by players.
    • The lobby spheres build has been pasted into the end.  /tppos world_the_end 0 64 0
      • Requires manual checking of water flows and redstone devices to make sure I haven't broken anything.  It had to be pasted in piecemeal.
    • Plugin data files reset: LogBlock logs, SafeBuckets, LWC database, WorldEdit region database.
    • A basic protection made in the end dimension to prevent PvP, block editing and mob spawning.
      • Requires additional regions to be created with higher priority to allow PvP where required for minigames.  May require additional flags if you can think of them.
        • ​KOTH PvP allow region.
        • Spleef floor build allow region.
    • Some plugin configurations done by editing modifying copies of Survival plugin configurations:
      • KitchenSink
      • LogBlock
      • LWC
      • ModMode - configuration reset
      • WorldBorder - border at +/-600 overworld +/-300 end
      • WorldGuard config.yml and blacklist for 'world'.
      • Other plugin configurations still need to be checked.  The configuration will be based heavily on that of survival.  PlumpXP and Enchantism will be included.

Other action items: 

• A first-join lobby must be created in the overworld as the initial player spawn must be in that dimension.  This area should contain rules signs.  Players will join the event and be assigned to teams by entering the /join command (still to be written).
  • A first-join book explaining the game mechanics and rules of CTF must be written.
  • Team bases must be constructed from schematic pieces at about -,- 500 (NW) and +,+500 (SE). Use //schem list.
  • A few additional dungeons to be added under bases. However, the map does include dungeons.
  • Netherwart to be hand-planted in volcanic and nether areas of the overworld - NE and SW corners.
  • Warp signs to and from the end dimension need to be created in team bases.

Status of the plugin:

• Some items from the previous round of testing fixed.  Some issues to do with managing staff and team assignment still to do.
  • I will probably set up another round of plugin testing in about 24 hours.

Some things to check off of this list. 

• The lobby in the end has been checked and everything is working including redstone and easy-sign commands
  • All regions created and appropriate flags set.
    • Build allow for spleef floor
    • PvP allow for KOTH and PvP arena
    • Build allow for a 1x1 area at the top of KOTH
    • blocked-cmds join for the maze, spleef floor, KOTH, and PvP arena
  • Ender chests placed in various places in the end lobby(not on the list but needed to be done)

Some things to check off of this list. 

• The lobby in the end has been checked and everything is working including redstone and easy-sign commands
  • All regions created and appropriate flags set.
    • Build allow for spleef floor
    • PvP allow for KOTH and PvP arena
    • Build allow for a 1x1 area at the top of KOTH
    • blocked-cmds join for the maze, spleef floor, KOTH, and PvP arena
  • Ender chests placed in various places in the end lobby(not on the list but needed to be done)

Thank you very much.

As of today I consider the plugin to be complete. (https://nerd.nu/forum/index.php?/topic/879-ready-for-another-round-of-ctf-plugin-testing/)

To deal with easy-signs in the end clearing player inventories, I've added periodic reattachment of helmets when players are on a team.  Yesterday I set up blaze and ghast spawners in the overworld (query my sponge placement coords for locations) and I individually protected them all, as well as defining protection regions around the team buffs in the NE and SW corners.  

I've just had a look at the first join spawn area.  One thing that strikes me is that with the current spawn point I fall straight out of there without getting a chance to read anything.  So I guess I need to move the first join spawn slightly.  How can we stop people from inadvertently dropping down or being jostled down the hole?

I managed to spawn normally in that room; maybe the room just didn't load quickly enough?

As for the hole, perhaps it could be moved to the corners of the room?  I'm guessing the center of the room is going to be more populated as players look around/read the signs than the corners, and it should be less likely to accidentally stumble across the pressure plates and fall into the hole.  Or perhaps make the door open by something triggered overhead (like a button over the door?), though that might get hectic quickly.  Maybe the door/hole can be replaced by an easy-sign-warp that teleports players just under the center of the floor of the first join spawn area?

I managed to spawn normally in that room; maybe the room just didn't load quickly enough?

As for the hole, perhaps it could be moved to the corners of the room?  I'm guessing the center of the room is going to be more populated as players look around/read the signs than the corners, and it should be less likely to accidentally stumble across the pressure plates and fall into the hole.  Or perhaps make the door open by something triggered overhead (like a button over the door?), though that might get hectic quickly.  Maybe the door/hole can be replaced by an easy-sign-warp that teleports players just under the center of the floor of the first join spawn area?

I actually moved the first join spawn point a bit and added those doors in after I wrote that all.

With the plugin complete and the map almost complete should we plan to have the event on Saturday the 14th? That would give us 3 days to test the plugin and map before we announce it and then another week to fine tune anything.

Yep. That was my feeling.  I sent a .tell to JohnAdams1735 to that effect, yesterday.  The last technical problem that I'm aware of is that ModMode continues to mess up the server in ways that make moderating this event particularly difficult, because it fails worst when the End gets in the mix.  I have about 10 days to fix ModMode.