Moving Forward: Preparations for CTF Take #2

totemo

^ The first response that popped into my head as a C mod. 

Sounds great, can't wait to play! I've been discussing the event in game to make sure players (who don't frequent the forums) know what's happening Friday and ran across more than a few.

Can we have the normal server addresses redirect to event.nerd.nu during the event so players don't have to set anything up to get connected?

So no antechamber with an EnderDragon statue with Diamond block eyes over a pit of lava?

o pls no

On a serious note, is there anything left to be done? Some things I was considering, not sure if they're done or even going to be implemented:

-sugar cane around the bases

-equal access to animals on both sides of the map (either both have cows, sheep, ect. or neither do)

-dyed sheep again? We did this last time because lapis is harder to come by, but I'm not so sure it's that difficult anymore with the ore plump.

-on a slightly earlier version, tompreuss and I found two strongholds. I believe one had an end portal. Will these be removed, or at least have the portal disabled? One is directly under a base, that's the only reason I'd consider removing it. The other (with the the portal) is in a more neutral location.

-sugar cane around the bases

-equal access to animals on both sides of the map (either both have cows, sheep, ect. or neither do)

-dyed sheep again? We did this last time because lapis is harder to come by, but I'm not so sure it's that difficult anymore with the ore plump.

-on a slightly earlier version, tompreuss and I found two strongholds. I believe one had an end portal. Will these be removed, or at least have the portal disabled? One is directly under a base, that's the only reason I'd consider removing it. The other (with the the portal) is in a more neutral location.

I consider animals on both sides to be a must, as food is in high demand at the start. I'd meant to populate the bases after finishing the walls, but apparently forgot.

Dyed sheep will probably be a non issue. Red team will probably get an advantage for about 5 minutes until someone finds lapis, then there'll be plenty to go around.

Disabling the end portal will probably be a good idea. I have no idea how to remove the stronghold without basically using world edit to replace the stronghold mats, though I think we could stand to do that. Going through and removing all chests and bookcases is a must, because I feel that gives a clear advantage to the team that has it. Maybe the silverfish spawner too to prevent people making a grinder out of it.

Disabling the end portal will probably be a good idea. I have no idea how to remove the stronghold without basically using world edit to replace the stronghold mats, though I think we could stand to do that. Going through and removing all chests and bookcases is a must, because I feel that gives a clear advantage to the team that has it. Maybe the silverfish spawner too to prevent people making a grinder out of it.

I'm not even sure if the one under the base had a library, since it seemed oddly cut off. I'll load the map on singleplayer and try to find it, because I'm worried about poking around the final map this close to launch. =P

I'm not even sure if the one under the base had a library, since it seemed oddly cut off. I'll load the map on singleplayer and try to find it, because I'm worried about poking around the final map this close to launch. =P

I'll take care of those bits/pieces of stronghold and end portal this evening (right now).

• Upvote 1

Final preparations. I enabled buffed wool drops.  I added a bunch of /alert messages.  I noticed that triggers like !mumble don't work. So (EDIT) I fixed it.

I only just saw the bit about the stronghold.  I'm amazed that I missed it since I was pasting in artificial dungeons under bases for ages.

One question I had: What are the dispensers for in the arena in the end (inside the main island sphere)?  I took a guess and loaded them up with mob eggs but I note that as currently set up, the mobs fall so far as to be just a single hit for a wooden sword (what came to hand at the time).

Regardless, I locked the dispensers to the modmode group, just in case, and also created an extra region there that covers the booths and prevents people from using /join in the non-pvp parts of the arena, in case we hand out PVP gear in the arena.  We can set up some easy-signs to do that if that is the case.

And if we want to run with the mobs, we'll need to add in some water nets to get them to the arena floor unscathed.

Guest Former Staff

Could we see about getting this moved to public archives in about a week? This would give people the chance to remove anything they have said or linked to that they don't want public. 

I'll move this topic over after a glance through the posts on October 1st. Thanks for suggesting this MrLoud, if anyone wishes to edit their comments, you have the rest of the month. :-)

Ah I'm glad that we are declassifying these posts.  I was about to suggest that.

I'm making a record here of the technical issues I found during the event:

• Someone was able to bypass the (distinct) WorldGuard protection region on a spawner in his team base.  I have no idea how that happened since the code ignores cancelled events (WorldGuard would cancel the edit on the spawner).
  • Players wanted player names in death messages to be colour coded.
  • There was a suggestion that capturing should be disabled when the team sizes are low or if there is a gross imbalance in the teams.  This has to be done carefully to prevent the mechanism from being exploited.  I'm thinking some kind of time delay on the effect.  Also, flags can't just be returned because a team could coordinate a logout.
  • Ender pearls were not causing damage. I fixed that during the event.
  • Occasionally players were spawning in the middle of the overworld (at the map's default spawn). This was caused by the intersection of two bugs.
    • Firstly if you stand in the hit box of an easy-signs sleep sign, your bed spawn is set but the bed is obstructed.  So you will spawn at the world spawn.
    • Secondly, CutePVP assumes that bed spawns are perfectly managed and so makes no attempt to control the world spawn, except for the initial one in the end.  Players couldn't use beds so most bed spawning was correctly controlled, but I didn't anticipate the sign obstruction issue.

Just to add a minor thing to your list, since I dont' think it was intentional: While I couldn't take my an opposing team's flag into my own base, I could take it into theirs.

I don't think totemo meant to block that, actually. The first block you described was put into place so that a player couldn't steal a flag, then go into a area where they are invulnerable to create a stalemate. If a player takes their enemy's flag into the enemy safe zone, they are putting themselves into a very vulnerable position where they cannot kill, but can still be killed. There's no threat of a stalemate there, unlike the previous situation.

I don't think totemo meant to block that, actually. The first block you described was put into place so that a player couldn't steal a flag, then go into a area where they are invulnerable to create a stalemate. If a player takes their enemy's flag into the enemy safe zone, they are putting themselves into a very vulnerable position where they cannot kill, but can still be killed. There's no threat of a stalemate there, unlike the previous situation.

Yeah exactly that. It's a ballsy move and unlikely to end well unless you're very well armed. In any case there's no reason to disallow it.

Guest Former Staff

BUMP as a reminder to move to archives.

Sorry, I hadn't had a chance until today. Thanks for the reminder. I've gone through and made only minor removals, moving to the archives!