Events on Event

torteela

So a while back I had this crazy idea that I shared at the community meeting: having events on the Event server. I've always thought it was a shame Event was really only used for the fundraiser, and all the people asking for a return of the zombie apocalypse mode from the fundraiser inspired me to do something about it. 

The goal would be to occasionally offer a different experience to what is on our other servers and give some variety to things. I had a few ideas for things I wanted to do already and have been given other ideas from players and staff. I'd like to use this thread as a place anyone can suggest ideas for events for consideration. While I can't guarantee that all ideas will actually be used we will definitely consider them all. Here's a few of the ideas that I or others have come up with:

• (Monthly?) UltraHardCore night
  • Zombie Apocalype in an old Nerd city (this is happening, date tbd)
  • Skyblock/Skygrid
  • Base building attack/defend pvp
  • "Guess that song" with players creating songs with note blocks

A couple things to keep in mind while suggesting ideas: 

• We have a limited number of techs with a limited amount of time, so anything overly technically complicated or that requires writing a custom plugin is less likely to happen.
  • Anything that is too close to the gameplay of our other servers is likely to not happen. (e.g. doing Speed Build on Event)

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

• Upvote 2

I had made an "interest survey" post a few months ago on the subreddit asking for opinions on doing a UHC. It garnered quite a bit of player support but unfortunately never really went anywhere. I don't think it had enough support at the admin level (at the time) to move forward. That said, I would still be more than happy to spearhead it.

I had an idea for a minecraft minigame that's like Call of Duty's zombie mode but with 2 teams, one being humans, and the other being zombies that increases as human players are killed off. Essentially, the zombies would spawn outside of a building that is unbreakable by both teams except for a few windows that could be broken by zombies (or repaired by humans through possible drops by zombies of the glass material), but the humans cannot leave and zombies can only enter. The human team would be equipped with some type of armor, a bow, sword, maybe food, and a few standard arrows while the "zombies" would be players with possible speed or damage buffs. Adding a random probability for "zombies" to drop a few debuff arrows that could help the humans as the game progresses. The human team could win by surviving for x minutes, while the "zombie's" goal is to kill the humans (which respawn as zombies) before the time limit runs out.

4 hours ago, torteela said:

(Monthly?) UltraHardCore night

YES PLEASE.

In general though, I love this idea. Not that I would be bothered by it either way, but would this impact the other servers the same way the fundraiser does (taking down C and P while E is running)? 

I'd be interested to see new things happen on the Event server - would just like to bring up that if these are running alongside P and C, they will necessarily compete for players - a low turnout for an event may not be because the event sucks as much as it is because more players find the usual servers more compelling.

For some other possibly more preparation-intensive ideas:

• Huge mazes have been run before - might be fun to try those again?
  • Adventure maps?  Something that can support multiple players on it, not all at the same stage in the journey.  (Building one ourselves might be fun but preparation is going to be extremely immense and probably slow-going.)

For something quicker, perhaps:

• A playground map like the carnival from the fundraiser?  Have it up for a few days, maybe during server downtime?  It really does feel like a lively place with a lot of players running around and games happening there.
  • Chaos-type maps like in the ancient days (more so when servers are down rather than when servers are up)?  It's heavily PvE-focused but is a cool way to bring the players together I think - possible to visit old maps with it as well.

1 hour ago, bermudalocket said:

I had made an "interest survey" post a few months ago on the subreddit asking for opinions on doing a UHC. It garnered quite a bit of player support but unfortunately never really went anywhere. I don't think it had enough support at the admin level (at the time) to move forward. That said, I would still be more than happy to spearhead it.

I will be contacting you about this soon.

1 hour ago, Andrew4210 said:

~idea~

I like this idea. 

1 hour ago, Mewcifer said:

YES PLEASE.

In general though, I love this idea. Not that I would be bothered by it either way, but would this impact the other servers the same way the fundraiser does (taking down C and P while E is running)? 

No, the fundraiser will continue to be the only time we take down the other servers. These events are intended to be supplementary to what's occurring on P and C, not replace them.

1 hour ago, buzzie71 said:

~important buzzie thoughts~

People like mazes so that's always an option. I like the idea of an adventure map but as you said, making one ourselves would be a slowgoing process. A playground like at the fundraiser could be neat, people really seemed to like that. I wasn't around for the Chaos days, what kind of maps were those?

• Upvote 1