Tekkit lite server REQ

Nerd shall go lite Tekkit Lite that is!

Dear: Server Developers / The nerd community

I think it is safe to say that the nerd community should grow higher then just regular Minecraft

classic, due to regular Minecraft you can achieve all the achievements and build a proper

house in under a week but in Tekkit Lite it takes over months too achieve the greatest

empire on a Tekkit Lite server.

For Example:

.You can create a OS For ComputerCraft.

.You can make a CC Butler.

.You can create a power plant.

.An automatic farm.

.An official smart House with CC.

.A ComputerCraft shop.

.A Telporter link to parts of the world.

.Impress your friends with your RedPower skills. 

.Create a CC Email System.

.Create a Public/Private ME Storage system.

And much much more the expectations of this pack is way more beyond then regular Minecraft

You may even learn something and may even gain a couple of new Reddit nerds on the way

We will never know unless you the nerd community vote yes for NERD GOES LITE! 

P.S All bugs are aware and fixable!

Probably the reason why we don't get into this is; it is very resource intensive.

Another thing is, I remember Thrawn saying that we don't have enough staff who are well versed in these TECH mod packs, to be able to control the server correctly. (paraphrased by memory)

Reply too: TrooPrm32

I do understand that it is very resource intensive but i know a server that hosts a Tekkit lite server with only 4GB of ram and 1GB bandwidth on a server box that is hosting a Hexxit server a FTB    

server and not lag at all im pretty sure we can optifine the ServerSide Pack and staff it is not that hard to learn this stuff even though i can not be staff i can easily show them how to handle the

server and trust me the server bassically runs on its own!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I voted yes for Nerd goes Lite did you?

Ram is not the issue, we are cpu bound.

Tekkit is cpu intensive, partly because of all the cool things you talk about ( that would have to be disabled due to the ability to blow holes in the map hundreds of blocks wide ) 

Lets get the 3 we have working.

Reply:C45y

Yes i do know that ram is not the issue but im pretty sure that old girl of a  cpu can handle one more and

I know how too make it where we dont have too disable the whole pack we just only have too disable

that Block or Item id and i know how too disable explosions for many things and make it where quarrys

cant be landmarked too far or only a certain rank can use landmarks this is all possible but we will

never know unless if you vote yes for nerd goes lite! :D

P.S dont think about the negative think about the positive ;3

P.S Well i kinda know a way im not sure will it even work

Edited by vxwkillerjthewalrus

Reply:C45y

Yes i do know that ram is not the issue but im pretty sure that old girl of a  cpu can handle one more and

I know how too make it where we dont have too disable the whole pack we just only have too disable

that Block or Item id and i know how too disable explosions for many things and make it where quarrys

cant be landmarked too far or only a certain rank can use landmarks this is all possible but we will

never know unless if you vote yes for nerd goes lite! :D

P.S dont think about the negative think about the positive ;3

P.S Well i kinda know a way im not sure will it even work

As C45Y said, we're more interested in getting what we have working right. Also per the quote, we are not a server that will have ranks, so anyone will have access to all features of a FTB/Tekkit server even if it is their first time joining. Servers like this have been discussed many times including recently, but it is just not feasible right now.

Haha I'm sorry, I'm reading how tekkit can be run lightly and still laughing. There is a reason they call it the CPU eater of JAR's. I'll just give my example of running it on a server with 4 gig RAM and unlimited broadband but still could not hold it. It's just too much unless you have a specific server setup for it. Also there would go half our fan base because it's no longer vanilla. I think we are fine as it is.

Reply:CrockODuck 

Please read my reply troorpm about a Gaming Community called NTG that made a server run on a box that had 32gb but only dedicated only 4 too the server while running 3

other servers A Teamspeak3(1-10 Players a day) A Hexxit(20-70 Players a day) FTB(1-10Players a day) TekkitLite(20-60Players a day) Please do not ask for the IPS they will

not be posted.

P.S The NTG box runs on i7, what does nerds server box run on? cause then i can understand a bit more why we should stay with vanilla

Yeah it does sound like i dont know what im talking about but i do it's just that no one told me the specs of the serverBox Nerd has.

Edited by vxwkillerjthewalrus

Just a life pro tip: it's super easy for us all to brush your suggestion off, considering the absurd amount of spelling and grammar errors in your writing, and also the weird (poem-style line breaks?) formatting of your posts.

If you're going to make a suggestion as radical as this, you really ought to brush up on your English skills first. Regardless of what your actual age is, nobody will take you seriously if you type like a 12 year old.

And on Jala's note I would again say how nerd would lose at least half the player base if not more due to this bizarre change.  Tekkit is fun for about 10 minutes for players who actually enjoy minecraft where you have to build.  Again I am not an admin so I do not know the specifications of nerd.nu's servers, but I know that what you are proposing would be some specialty type server that are not known for their well rounded durability or long lasting parts.  It may seem like a good idea at first, but try to think of every possible problem that would happen and you begin to see why nerd is perfectly fine running simple vanilla servers.  Please do not argue with me about the specifications of servers as I literally work with them as a living and know that no server could simply use 4 gigs of RAM pulling Tekkit and every other modification you just listed.  All in all, decent idea, but very unrealistic. 

The beauty of the reddit servers is in their simplicity. Every server requires no mods for you to play on, and is readily accessible to any level of player.
Tekkit, FTB, and other such modpacks are the polar opposite of that. You've either got amateurs or experts. By the time the amateurs get onto the server, the experts have obtained a vast amount of materials, leaving the amateurs at an extreme disadvantage. They have the knowledge to utilize advanced techniques. They have the foresight needed to progress from their past experiences.

Related note, we keep it simple, and get over 100 people a day on the servers. Over 150 on P/S alone. We're limited on server space, computing power, etc etc etc. Adding in something as difficult to safely implement as Tekkit isn't a smart idea.

I feel like this is a troll.

However, this topic continues to be discussed. I will just stress this again.

And on Jala's note I would again say how nerd would lose at least half the player base if not more due to this bizarre change

Out of curiosity, what exactly are the servers like? Model, specs, OS? How many physical servers? How many virtual OS instances? What runs on it aside from Minecraft? I'm interested in the implementation, though I've never come across this info.

Ram is not the issue, we are cpu bound.

Tekkit is cpu intensive, partly because of all the cool things you talk about ( that would have to be disabled due to the ability to blow holes in the map hundreds of blocks wide ) 

Lets get the 3 we have working.

vxwkillerjthewalrus, c45y is a former Reddit Public tech admin who has spent considerable time investigating performance issues with our servers.  Whatever he tells you is the definitive word on this matter.

Well, that covers the first part, certainly. What about the rest?

Things running on the box from memory

1. p.nerd.nu
  2. c.nerd.nu
  3. s.nerd.nu
  4. nginx / php-fastcgi
  5. sshd
  6. crond

Thats about it. One OS, one physical server

Each server lives on the SSD, with all its logs heading off to a larger SATA disk.

Anything extra that was/could cause CPU usage was looked at, and likely killed. At this stage a CPU upgrade or Minecraft to get some smarts and understand how to do more than hog one single core until its maxed then fall over are our options.

CPU upgrade is very expensive from memory

Minecraft threading is slowly getting there, and will hopefully improve in the future.

Anyway, I've sidetracked this thread enough. Sounds like a firm No to tekkit, close?

• 2 weeks later...