Use of Broadcast to advertise player-run events

Jalamookoofoo

So in the days leading up to the launch tournament of "Tower Wars", there have been numerous broadcast messages on P encouraging players to sign up a team for the event. I understand why this is being done, obviously everyone involved will have more fun the more teams there are, and last time I checked there were only two teams signed up. I think it is an excellent and appropriate use of broadcast messaging to increase awareness about the event.

There's just one problem: Tower Wars is only getting this level of exposure because it's run by mods (and admins, I think).

As far as I know, the arena is on the P map, was built in survival mode, and after the event will be open to the public. This makes it no different than any other minigame constructed by nerd.nu players. So I my request is that players be allowed to make reqs to have their minigames advertised through broadcast messages. Admins would be free to set their standards pretty high, as it's clear from the pictures that a lot of effort went into this event on their part. I only ask that mod-run events not get preferential treatment. Thanks for your consideration, and if there's a reason why Tower Wars is different than, for example, MarcusPSL's Jousting minigame (I would say spleef, but FISA has enough members that they have no need for advertisement), I would love to hear it.

There's just one problem: Tower Wars is only getting this level of exposure because it's run by mods (and admins, I think).

As far as I know, the arena is on the P map, was built in survival mode, and after the event will be open to the public. This makes it no different than any other minigame constructed by nerd.nu players. So I my request is that players be allowed to make reqs to have their minigames advertised through broadcast messages. Admins would be free to set their standards pretty high, as it's clear from the pictures that a lot of effort went into this event on their part. I only ask that mod-run events not get preferential treatment. Thanks for your consideration, and if there's a reason why Tower Wars is different than, for example, MarcusPSL's Jousting minigame (I would say spleef, but FISA has enough members that they have no need for advertisement), I would love to hear it.

The arena was built solely by Denevien (not in survival mode, if that matters) as a function of his padmin position so that we all could participate in a fun, exciting, and engaging community event.  It's comparable to the arenas on S, insomuch as it's admin organized and run.  This is why it's been advertised in the rotating [server] messages.  Being admin run, we have the purview to advertise in this manner.

Moderator run events get no special treatment.  In fact, when a moderator organizes an event on P, they're actually acting in their capacity and role as a player of the server, not as a moderator.  They shouldn't be using any of their moderator privileges to advertise or run the event.  There's at times exceptions to this (like prizes for cross server contests, like faz's most recent one) but those are all brought to and approved by admins in advance.

Players are welcomed and encouraged to hold and advertise their own events using the subreddit and/or forum.  Several recent and successful events come to mind that were advertised in advance, for instance the fireworks in Seneca last night had several dozen attendees.  Players can also advertise (as long as they don't cross the line to spamming) in public chat for their events.  You'll often see players talking about upcoming spleef matches in this manner.  Word of mouth is likely your strongest ally for getting people to come to your event.

Okay, so the arena wasn't built in survival. It does matter, because it means, as you said, that Den wasn't acting as a player then. He was acting as a padmin. Which is alright, I appreciate the work the padmins do enough to not really care if he uses his position like this. I do find it funny however that you stated his objective was "so that we could all participate in a fun, engaging and exciting community event" - isn't that what EVERYONE who makes a minigame or tournament of some sort is trying to do?

I do find it funny however that you stated his objective was "so that we could all participate in a fun, engaging and exciting community event" - isn't that what EVERYONE who makes a minigame or tournament of some sort is trying to do?

My words were in a different order, but yes, that's exactly right!  :D

What tom means jala is that there would be hours upon hours of messages being broadcasted (90% of them being cutterwills haha) if the admins designated specific time to not only add them to the broadcast list, but then play them.  The best you could do is just invite individual players there or just advertise it every two hours or so.