Revision 22: Mid-Rev Feedback Topic

Sir_Didymus

Now that we’re around the middle of Revision 22, we’d once again like to gather feedback on your experiences before the PAdmin team dive headlong into preparations for Revision 23. The current revision is set to continue on until at least September, and we’ll be sure to announce a reset date one month in advance, as has become standard practice. But for now, please help us out by providing your insights into what you have enjoyed and what you would like to see done differently in our next revision.

We’re happy to receive any feedback you have to offer, but below we have provided a set of topics and questions that might help remind you of things you wanted to mention, or ideas you wanted to put across:

The Spawn Building

• As requested, we ensured that the spawn building was solely designed and decorated by our own team this revision. Did you enjoy the resulting effort?

• Do you feel the spawn building was well laid out, with clear exits?

• After our early revision feedback topic, we made a few amendments to the spawn and surrounding areas, such as changing to a central portal build, removing some of the hindering barrier blocks in the gardens, and adding more signage. Do you feel these changes were beneficial?

• Are there any things you would like to see done differently at Spawn in Revision 23?

The Overworld Map

• How do you feel about the current overworld map size? Too small, too large, just right?

• Given that next revision is likely to move to 1.13, we’re expecting that our current terrain generator will not be updated in time. How do you feel about a return to a vanilla map for the upcoming revision, in order to fully experience 1.13 map features?

• Were any biomes lacking or too abundant this revision?

• Any comments on resources and/or ore distribution?

The Nether Map

• How have you found the Nether this revision?

• Would you like to see a custom or vanilla Nether map for next revision?

• Any particular features of past or present Nether maps that you would like to see again?

• Any comments on resources and/or quartz distribution?

• Have the new Nether mobs been a good or a bad addition in your opinion?

The End

• Feedback from Revision 21 suggested we should try making the Ender Dragon fight more difficult. How do you feel this has worked in Revision 22? Would you like to see a return to the regular dragon fight, or a different custom battle in Revision 23?

• Have you experienced any issues with The End this revision that you’d like to make known for Revision 23?

Mapworld

• Last revision, we were asked to implement WorldEdit to assist people in Mapworld. Do you feel this has been useful in Revision 22, and would you like to see it continue?

• Are there any WorldEdit commands that you feel would be useful and are lacking in the current Mapworld set?

• We were also asked to bring back any older maps created in Revisions 17-19 that were available, and have recently achieved this with the help of Tech Admins. Do you feel this has been a beneficial addition to the server?

Portals

• This revision we launched with 6 portals available to find, and 6 more released over the course of a number of weeks. Do you prefer this method, or would you like to see a return to launching all portals at rev start?

• Do you have any completely different methods you’d like to see enacted in regards to portals?

• How do you feel about the amount, and distribution, of portals this revision?

Iron Golem Spawners

• How were the costs this revision?

• In the present system, players work through tiered levels of spawners, to gradually increase their iron production over time. Do you think this works well, or would you prefer a different system (such as fixing the spawners at one level).

• Did you find the rewritten instructions in the PvE Information Guide easier to follow and understand?

Custom Spawners

• How do you feel about the inclusion of custom spawners in the map? Would you prefer to have, or not have them?

• Early revision feedback suggested that custom spawners in the nether were not a good idea, due to an observed local effect on spawn rates. Would you prefer custom spawners in various worlds, or do you think they should be confined to the overworld?

• Which custom spawners do you think are particularly useful in a multiplayer setting, if any?

Custom Drops from Ore (Fossils and Rares)

• Do you think these custom drops have been a positive addition to the overall gameplay, and would you like to see something similar next revision?

• We spent some time at the start of the revision adjusting things to try to make sure the drop rate felt rewarding but not too common. How far to you feel we succeeded in that respect?

• Do you think the fossil and amber trades at spawn have been a worthwhile addition so far this revision? Do you feel the items on offer appeal to a wide range of people?

Custom Saddles

• Have you enjoyed the custom horse saddles available to trade this revision?

• Would you like to see them return for next revision?

• If so, do you prefer them as trade items, prizes, or some mixture of both?

Elytra

We’ve heard a lot of opinions on the implementation of Elytra this revision, from many different viewpoints. It’s clear the present system hasn’t met everybody’s expectations, so what we’re particularly interested in now, is your view on how you’d like to see Elytra approached next revision, with a positive focus on the future:

• Next revision, how would you like to see elytra implemented? Something close to vanilla, something like this revision, or something different altogether?

• Having experienced this revision, do you think elytra has a strong effect on whether or not people create other forms of transportation, or do you think that roads and rails etc. are created regardless of elytra?

• Do you feel there is more we could do to support road and rail builders next revision without necessarily affecting users of elytra? If so, what are your ideas on how this could be achieved?

Events

Here are our events so far this revision (with more to come!):

Weekly portal hunts (March-April)
The Lost Slime Golems
The Archaeologists’ Guild Poetry Competition
The Meandering Maze
Mob Mayhem! (PvE Arena Events)
  • We’ve tried to ensure that there are multiple events on offer throughout the revision, and that for ongoing events, prizes can be obtained by anyone who manages to complete them. Do you feel this has been beneficial to the server?

• Are there any events you have particularly enjoyed this revision so far?

• Is there any event past or present that you’d like to see return in Revision 23?

• Have you any new event ideas that you’d like to share?

Thank you for responding to this feedback topic - each PAdmin will read your responses carefully here, in preparation for our upcoming planning and decision making meetings for Revision 23.

Please note the following dates:

• 23rd June: PAdmins will do the first round of responses to everyone in the topic.
  • 30th June: PAdmins will do the second and final round of responses to any additional posts in the topic.
  • 1st July: This topic will close to new posts.

We appreciate the time you take to offer us insight into your experiences - we know that it takes dedication to respond to this topic, and that everyone who replies has the goal of making the server better for everyone. Thanks for being such a great community!

~The PAdmin Team

• Upvote 3

The two things I would like to discuss are the map and elytras.

Map: Next rev, if the mod is not updated, it would be best to go to vanilla. Although, it seems like, and Mojang has said, it will most likely be releasing this summer. If it's released in the summer, the mod should be updated if the developer is active in updating the mods. It will take a lot of effort to update, but by the pre-releases, it could be out next month, allowing 2 month development on the mod. Should be plenty of time.

Elytras: Please revert to the old methods of getting elytra and the original dragon fight. With the new Phantom membrane being released, doing this would ruin elytras. The phantoms alone would be hard enough (chaos experience.) to fight for enough membrane to repair. Roads and rails are created anyways because if your elytra breaks, you need roads/rails to find a grinder safely. 

Edited by PPGOME
  • Upvote 4

Spawn Building:

The removal of barrier blocks was definitely a good idea as it caused a lot of frustration early revision. I suggest not using them again in spawn unless its very obvious or purposeful.

Spawn museum was a nice addition to include highlights from past revisions

For future shulker spots, please always include an enderchest + move the shulker spot closer to any trade vendors that currently exist. Currently in R22 the shulker spots are quite a ways from the actual archaeology vendors.

The Nether Map

I really enjoyed the custom nether and would like to see it continued as it made it easier to gather certain resources and an open sky with no giant lava columns is more aesthetically pleasing. However, one persistent issue from this is that ghasts will be able to fly out of render distance and constantly bombard you with fireballs.

I have mixed feelings towards the new nether mobs. They make it easier to gather resources like wither heads but cause a few issues

- they limit the spawning chance of other mobs such as Ghasts.

- Hell snipers aggro pigmen if they shoot one while aggroing a player resulting in the entire pack of pigmen  becoming hostile.

- They are often a source of great frustration and confusion for new players that are not geared when traveling the nether. The berzerkers are quite fast and hard to avoid, and the fire arrows that hell snipers shoot burn for quite a bit unarmored. Once nether paths are built this threat is greatly reduced, but it discourages nether travel  or exploration for newer players. I also feel that it discourages the development of nether roads / rails.

The End

I'd like to see a toned down dragon fight. The additional adds make the fight slightly more difficult but I feel it just bogs down the fight and lengthens it unnecessarily.  The additional mobs that spawn also take a technical toll on whatever machine is running minecraft as the additional particles cause a lot of issues client-side. If the intent is to design a more difficult dragon fight, I feel that spawning more mobs upon hitting the dragon is not a good approach.

Another suggestion is to make end spawn a safe. A few times I have entered the end during a dragon fight I was unaware of and the dragon was able to swoop into end spawn and launch me.

Mapworld

Worldedit was definitely beneficial and should be kept. Bringing back maps from older revisions was also beneficial as it allows creators or players to re-use some very beautiful maps without recreating them.

Portals

I'd like to see portals launched either all at the start or with a smaller delay. I'm seeing some portals that just become a space after cities are founded, or the portals are found too late in the revision and little development occurs there due to lack of interest.

Iron Golem Spawners

Costs are appropriate. I believe 288 diamonds is achievable and reasonable for this feature. The tiered system also works well. Maybe increase the drop rate for golem souls slightly up from 1% to maybe 2 or 3%?

I feel the PvE information guide should outline the diamond cost with the padmin heads (in addition to saying 2 padmin heads, note that a single padmin head will cost 36 diamonds to obtain) have maybe one or two more screenshots of examples of grinder designs (with different types of water flows) just to make it a better reference.

Custom Spawners

The shulker spawners are very useful in a multiplayer setting. The creeper spawner is of great value for elytra users as well.

I felt this was worthwhile. They were a constant incentive to keep mining since there are iron golem spawners and diamonds lose value once one obtains a certain amount for gear and tools etc. The rewards were mostly purely cosmetic as well but a welcome addition.

Custom Saddles

I really enjoy the custom saddles, particularly Ghast saddle I've had the pleasure of using. I'd like to see them return as event prizes and as something you can work towards such as the archaeology saddles.

Elytra

I don't like the idea of scouring the end for end ships to find elytra and would like it to be something to work towards / buy. I feel rails will always be created as they're essential to connecting the map for the large % of non-elytra users. Personally, as an elytra user I still frequent rails more than I use my elytra simply for AFK travelling.

• Upvote 4

Vanilla Map: I agree that if we go to 1.13 for rev 23, we should have a water-focused map to play with all the new features.  I'm fine with vanilla map, maybe a watery one?

Map: Smaller map please?  A smaller map means towns will be closer together, which encourages exploring and ground level rails.  In the last several revs, I don't visit other towns much because it means a commitment in time to get there.  Since much of the travel time is spent on underground rails, it's boring to watch too.  I miss older revs where you could wander accidentally from one town to another because they were so close.  And I miss above ground rails where you could see all kinds of amazing builds as you rode by.  

Elytra: If maps are going to continue to be so big, we should make elytra easier to get.  Make it so casual players can buy them with emeralds or diamonds.  That way, everyone can fly around and make that the main means of transportation.  I never use elytra because I'm too clumsy and would just lose a valuable item that's very hard to obtain.  If elytra could be purchased after several hours of mining or farming, sure, I would use them to get around.

Nether Portals: I have enjoyed both the staged release of portals and the all-at-once release of portals.  I don't have a preference.

Guilds: I think they are absolutely charming.  I don't participate enough in them, but I love seeing people working toward them.  I appreciate the work the admins put into them. 

• Upvote 3

The Spawn Building

• I enjoyed this rev's spawn compared to the spawns of past revs. It was easy for players to exit if they wanted to get out immediately, but had plenty of goodies at hand for those looking for them. I also really liked the spawn museum on the 2nd floor to take a look back at nerd.nu's history. The amendments made to spawn were also beneficial.

The Overworld Map

• I was initially hoping to have a smaller map for this rev, but now I think 9k x 9k is a good map size. This map size will definitely be good for next rev when people will be hoping for large oceans to explore. I don't know if it's possible, but would there be a way to use the current version of OTG/Biome Bundle for terrain generation on land while having 1.13 vanilla oceans?

• I know we'll have plenty of oceans next rev due to 1.13, but i would recommend not having an ocean right next to spawn, or at least not have spawn surrounded on three sides by ocean like in rev 18. That seemed to hurt that rev's infrastructure quite a bit.

• The main biome that is lacking this rev is desert - more specifically, deserts that have more than one or two layers of sand before hitting sandstone. I know that some deserts were added to the nether specifically for sand collection, but i was afraid of ruining all those beautiful landscapes! Last rev, there were some giant sand worms that were left all chopped up and floating in the air because someone had taken all the sand there ;_;

• Other than that, resource distribution was good!

The Nether Map

• I like having custom nether maps and mobs! I don't know if the Padmins are still working on it, but it would be nice for the custom mobs to have named drops for their armor and weapons (besides the pixie stick, or whatever it's called).

The End

• I would like to see tougher Ender Dragon fights continue, but having every hit spawn more mobs is tough on people who don't have great computers (I personally didn't have problems, but I know plenty of other people have).

Mapworld

• The only WorldEdit commands I can think of that may be useful are //cyl and //hcyl so it's easier to make circles.

Portals

• The method that was used to release portals was good, as well as having little puzzles to solve to find the last 6 portals. I think it's also a good idea to have an irregular portal distribution like we had this rev so that people can't just guess the general area of where a portal would be.

Iron Golem Spawners

• No complaints or concerns here!

Custom Spawners

• All the custom spawners we have right now are good. We shouldn't put any in the nether though, especially if we're going to keep custom mobs.

• The custom drops were a great addition and I hope they come back next rev to match whatever the theme is!

Custom Saddles

• I like having the saddles as both prizes and trades.

Elytra

• I think the method of obtaining elytra was good this rev. While I generally don't use them until the second half of the rev, I don't think it would be a good idea to gate people off from getting them early on if they want them.

•  While elytra (specifically powered elytra) has hindered roads and rails a little bit, I still see players creating them, mainly at the beginning of the rev before getting elytra. I think we've done a good job of helping infrastructure with the addition of a spawn rail station the past few revs.

Events

Types of quests I'd like to see return:

• The Knight's Quests from rev 21- there was a wide variety of challenges to take on (scavenger hunts, trivia, redstone puzzles, etc).

• NITWITS from rev 20 - I liked this sort of scavenger hunt more than other ones since it required you to think a little bit and also encourage people to work together to solve the puzzles. It's better than hunts like the Lost Slime Golems which are just "Go find these things. Where are they? Somewhere."

• The Viridian Journals from rev 17 - I thought this was a cool idea to add a little lore to the world.

Edited by King_of_queso
  • Upvote 4

Spawn

The exits from spawn are clear which is good. I also liked the exits in all cardinal directions. In revs with an exit in only one direction the other sides of the map tend to end up neglected. The museum of old builds was really cool. Not as laggy as the apartment building was but still a bit laggy. A smaller spawn might be nice for something different. One portal is good.

Map

Everything is very far apart due to how big the map is. My nearest neighbor is about 1k blocks away. I think the map could be a good deal smaller while still leaving plenty of room for everyone to build what they want, which would encourage more cooperation and working together. The map being not so big would also make building roads and rails places not so daunting of a task. OR, keep the map a similar size but decrease the land area to have more room for oceans.

A vanilla map would be fine for next rev. Would be a lot less stress than waiting to see if the terrain generator would be updated in time, especially since it's hard to do work on a rev without the map done. Could use one of those websites that lets you see what a map would look like for a given seed to get one that has a nice balance of biomes, and do tweaking from there. One challenge for the new map will be that lots of people will likely want to build around some of the new ocean features. Might be good to have multiple of oceans with coral reefs and ice burgs, or to have those biomes be in unique layouts to discourage one person claiming the entire biome.

Diamonds felt like they were drastically reduced, with most deposits tending to be 4 or less ores. I didn't particularly mind that because I do a ton of mining anyways, though it was unexpected since it was unannounced. Other ores felt plentiful. Could we get the ore distributions for this rev released so the discussion around ore distribution can be better informed?

One minor gripe I had with the map was that the same caves kept repeating themselves. The one that's kind of a 3D X shape, the suqareish one with the pillar in the middle, the long cone one with the spike in the middle. It made exploring underground a bit more boring running into the exact same caves over and over. I also miss the little random water pockets that used to be underground. Though they could be there and I'm just mining too deep.

Crazy idea: Have a map with continents separated by oceans, and when you boat to the edge of the map you come out on the opposite side.

Nether

The nether was fine with me. New mobs were good for something different. A vanilla nether could be nice for something different, or at least a nether that takes inspiration from some of the changes made to the vanilla nether in 1.13. As someone else mentioned a roof would be nice to prevent ghasts flying away.

End

I'm all for a harder dragon fight, but I wasn't a fan of the current one. The worst part was finally beating it and having the EOF burn up due to the blazes. That has been fixed now but not getting it after all that work discouraged me or anyone I fought it with from attempting it again. It was also really laggy with all the mobs. Maybe it could be harder in a different way that involves less mobs?

Mapworld

No real opinion, though the people who use it seem to like it a lot.

Portals

Having the portals to find later was cool, but was also dependent on being online when it was released. Maybe hide one or more to be found on the nether side first, or allow some to be placed wherever someone wants as long as it's not too close to another portal. Playing the 1.13 snapshot it's been fun to be able to find a cool place and make a portal there.

Golem Spawners

Seem fine to me, but again I mine a lot.

Custom Spawners

Not too sure how I feel about the creeper/witch spawners because of how that interacts with elytra, but the others are fine. Especially things like the quid grinder since finding friendly mobs can be hard on P.

Custom Drops

A neat thing to get while mining. Would be cool to have something similar next rev. Maybe some things could be things to be used on their own instead of traded in?

Custom Saddles

Fine with me.

Elytra

I think if the dragon fight was easier and the cost was a lower elytra would be fine. I think my big gripe with elytra is really my gripe with mending, since you just get one elytra and never need another again unless you die in lava. No mending next rev! Or make mending and unbreaking mutually exclusive.

Events

Events are nice.

• Upvote 3

The Spawn Building

• I'm a fan. The design and concept is excellent, as is the execution. 

• Layout fine. Exits easy to find. 

• I preferred the distributed portals, but only slightly more than the central portal. This change was fine after being a bit jarring the first time i tried to find a portal after it moved to the center.

• This is an excellent spawn. Wouldn't mind some spawn embassies, though.  They're always fun to decorate. If we do embassies, we need them in a hallway that all new players go through so that they see what the server has to offer in terms of towns. This would also provide towns with an advertising opportunity. 

The Overworld Map

• Just right. 

• Bleh. I much prefer the custom terrain to vanilla. It's more interesting to look at. If it's possible to do something biome-specific so oceans are treated as vanilla, that'd be fine. Just don't get rid of the custom terrain. 

• All fine. 

• Ore distro is great. Mining for diamonds feels challenging again.

The Nether Map

• I like it. I think the nether is a good place to experiment with terrain gen. Also glad to see quartz/glowstone limited to the nether.

• Custom!

• More glowstone trees!

• All fine.

• Very good. Make them tougher!

The End

• Haven't fought it. 

• No.

Mapworld

• I'd prefer a Schematica printer, but WE is second best.

• //print

• Very much so. Mapworld ought to persist.

Portals

• Keep it. Preserves interest in finding a portal, and promotes secondary development after the rev start.

• No.

• Good, 12 is a good amount.

Iron Golem Spawners

• Don't have a grinder.

• This works.

• Haven't looked.

Custom Spawners

• No creeper spawner. It makes getting elytra fuel too easy. Go kill creepers for yourself. Others are fine. 

• Nether spawners are fine, so long as you find a way to fix spawnrates. 

• Literally anything but the creeper spawner. 

• I'm a huge fan. They promote mining and rail tunnel production. 

• Seems alright in terms of droprate.

• Yes, and yes. 

Custom Saddles

• Yes. 

• Yes, 

• A mixture. 

Elytra

We’ve heard a lot of opinions on the implementation of Elytra this revision, from many different viewpoints. It’s clear the present system hasn’t met everybody’s expectations, so what we’re particularly interested in now, is your view on how you’d like to see Elytra approached next revision, with a positive focus on the future:

• Make them as rare as possible. 

• Making them hard to get has saved the rail system. Please continue in this direction. I don't want elytra gone, I just want them to require substantial effort.  

• Keep the prebuilt spawn rail station. Keep the current gold and iron oregen. 

Events

• All are good. I'd love to see the Knight's Quests return, as I feel they were a good mix of seek/find and puzzle solving.

• The Slime Golems are fun to look for. 

• Knight's Quests!

• I'd love to see Elytra be the prize for an event, whatever that is. 

• Upvote 4

First I want to apologize for not being on near as much as I have been in previous revs. I was very happy about my promotion at work but didn’t realize how much it would affect my time and game play.  I have missed all of you more than you know but with summer being in full swing I hope to have more time for “me” sooner than later

– Work has to understand I have a Firework show to plan and create!! Sheesh

The Spawn Building

• I enjoyed this rev's spawn compared to the spawns of past revs. I think I’ts beautiful and I loved seeing the spawn museum as well as contributing to it.  Even with the portals being wonky at first I believe it is a huge success and  the Dragon Skeleton is legendary.

The Over world Map:

• ·        I am happy with the size and it has been fun exploring and finding her secrets. It’s a truly lovely map.
  • ·        With the Aquatic update I like others are hoping for more oceans. Playing in the event server with snapshot 1.13 I have had an awesome time playing with dolphins and turtles but seriously those Drown things  and phantoms scare the nice outta me and I say bad things. O_O

The Nether Map

• ·        The custom nether map is amaze-balls. The rainbow cave made me so happy, I just kept riding sugar through them till pez and tic made  me stop, and the spiders were so awesome I literally squealed when I saw them. I hope we can have a custom nether every rev.

The End

• ·        I went once- Killed my dragon so I could fly and ran back to Rose.  Mobs + Dragon = ice dies over and over and over.  Not my favorite thing with the rev but I know many liked it.

Mapworld

• ·        I’m glad you can use world edit now, it has opened the door for our very talented, creative members to create works of art. The best thing that happened was bringing back the older maps, so much work went into them  I am so glad we can enjoy them over and over. Good Job o/ to the powers that be.

Portals

• ·        I had no problem with releasing 6 at the start then others as the rev continued. I just think maybe not over such a broad space of time but maybe within the first 2 weeks or to coincide with the live map going live.

Iron Golem Spawners

• ·        No complaints  and /or concerns – seemed to work well.

Custom Spawners

• ·        All the custom spawners we have right now are good. I also didn’t have any problems with making them part of a quest, rather than just luck.

• ·        I loved this. Mining is vital to the game but so boring this element made it a lot more fun and exciting. I still jump when I unearth a golem soul.  ;)

Custom Saddles

• ·        I find these to be fun and a great addition to the game.

Elytra

• ·        This I think was the worst thing for the rev personally.  I have listened to many conversations and debates on the pros and cons.  I think it drew a line between many players. You either liked it or you didn’t there was no middle ground. I guess my view is simple – We are adults, If you want to fly you use wings, If you want to ride a horse or walk you build a road, If you want to ride by rail you make a rail line. As adults we don’t need to be micro managed , or be collateral damage to someone’s tantrum- We are a community we should work together not apart , we should respect how each other wants to travel but most of all we should be having fun.

Events

• ·        There can never be to many events. I have loved them all since the rev I joined. I think it is one of the things that set us apart as a server. The times we come together as a whole, we laugh we play and we make strong friendships. I swear one day I will kill an admin damn it and I will never understand 2 Melons. ;)
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The Spawn Building

• As requested, we ensured that the spawn building was solely designed and decorated by our own team this revision. Did you enjoy the resulting effort?

• Yup!

• Yes. You could close your eyes and make it out of spawn. Can't get easier than that to get out of.

• After our early revision feedback topic, we made a few amendments to the spawn and surrounding areas, such as changing to a central portal build, removing some of the hindering barrier blocks in the gardens, and adding more signage. Do you feel these changes were beneficial?

• Central nether portal was the most impactful change. It was helpful.

• Are there any things you would like to see done differently at Spawn in Revision 23?

• Not that I can think of.

The Overworld Map

• How do you feel about the current overworld map size? Too small, too large, just right?

• I am happy with it. I like a larger map as it gives more options for environments to build in.

• Given that next revision is likely to move to 1.13, we’re expecting that our current terrain generator will not be updated in time. How do you feel about a return to a vanilla map for the upcoming revision, in order to fully experience 1.13 map features?

• Vanilla terrain is very lacking, but without an updated BB it could be a ton of work for a full custom overworld. After playing on chaos, I forget the kelp and sea grass even exist unless I am on the ocean. It adds some nice atmosphere to rivers/ocean but it's not world changing. If there is an option to use 1.12 BB and then just sprinkle kelp/seagrass across the world that would be great. Maybe an MCedit filter if it exists or could be created?

• None that I can think of.

• None from me, though I heard people asking for more diamond. I have no objections as diamond doesn't really change the gameplay past the first week.

The Nether Map

• Nether looks amazing.

• Custom would be great.

• Any particular features of past or present Nether maps that you would like to see again?

• Wither skellie spawning everywhere helps to make up for the terrible mob spawn rates when more than 1 player is in the nether. I would welcome its return.

• Seemed about right.

• They don't change the experience in the nether (besides the silver fish), and are all just another target to kill. Ether way is fine by me.

The End

• Feedback from Revision 21 suggested we should try making the Ender Dragon fight more difficult. How do you feel this has worked in Revision 22? Would you like to see a return to the regular dragon fight, or a different custom battle in Revision 23?

• Either way is fine by me, but I think I enjoy mob fights more than the average person.

• Have you experienced any issues with The End this revision that you’d like to make known for Revision 23?

• Nope.

Mapworld

• Last revision, we were asked to implement WorldEdit to assist people in Mapworld. Do you feel this has been useful in Revision 22, and would you like to see it continue?

• Yes

• Are there any WorldEdit commands that you feel would be useful and are lacking in the current Mapworld set?

• No

• We were also asked to bring back any older maps created in Revisions 17-19 that were available, and have recently achieved this with the help of Tech Admins. Do you feel this has been a beneficial addition to the server?

• YES. The maps being lost every rev is sad, but understandable as everything on P is typically lost. I was not a fan of keeping some and not others. Keeping them all is nice. They take a ton of work and are a small decorative item that has no impact on gameplay. I am in favor of keeping them.

Portals

• This revision we launched with 6 portals available to find, and 6 more released over the course of a number of weeks. Do you prefer this method, or would you like to see a return to launching all portals at rev start?

• I like all portals at rev start, but understand why people may want them as the rev progresses. My issue with slowly introducing them is that after the first few days most people have selected a location to build. Unless you're willing to pickup and move everything there is not much point to hunting for portals. If players could move the later ones anywhere on the map I'd have hunted for them.

• Do you have any completely different methods you’d like to see enacted in regards to portals?

• None that I can currently think of.

• The initial distribution felt very unbalanced. As things went on they felt more balanced.

Iron Golem Spawners

• Fine

• In the present system, players work through tiered levels of spawners, to gradually increase their iron production over time. Do you think this works well, or would you prefer a different system (such as fixing the spawners at one level).

• I think leveling them is fine. It replicates vanilla iron grinders except that vanilla grinders get you the same amount of additional iron per unit of effort whereas spawner levels costs increase.

• Did you find the rewritten instructions in the PvE Information Guide easier to follow and understand?

• No complaints about instructions.

Custom Spawners

• How do you feel about the inclusion of custom spawners in the map? Would you prefer to have, or not have them?

• I see custom spawners as a way to provide useful resources that otherwise would be quite rare in a larger multiplayer server. In smaller environments there are vanilla grinders that produce these unique resources far faster than the spawners on PvE provide them. I think the spawners should remain as a way to make up for the limitations of multiplayer mob spawning.

• Early revision feedback suggested that custom spawners in the nether were not a good idea, due to an observed local effect on spawn rates. Would you prefer custom spawners in various worlds, or do you think they should be confined to the overworld?

• I think spawners should be confined to the overworld. I do think that the claim signs could be spread across worlds. Making people explore the nether to find a zig spawner sign makes sense and gets people out and exploring. Active players moving through the world don't have as strong an effect on mob spawning as AFK players do.

• Which custom spawners do you think are particularly useful in a multiplayer setting, if any?

• Creeper and slime mostly. Zig and ghast are OK, but not as critical as gold can be had in mesa/desert biomes and ghast tears are not typically needed in large quantities.

• Do you think these custom drops have been a positive addition to the overall gameplay, and would you like to see something similar next revision?

• I think they're a positive addition if they are optional. Requiring them for resources that are easy to get in vanilla is an issue, but trading them for fun collectibles is great.

• We spent some time at the start of the revision adjusting things to try to make sure the drop rate felt rewarding but not too common. How far to you feel we succeeded in that respect?

• No complaints from the perspective of enjoying them for the fun bits. Collecting them as a required item for something is painful. Mining is enough of a grind already. The special drops should make it more fun, not increase the time you have to spend mining to get the drops.

• Do you think the fossil and amber trades at spawn have been a worthwhile addition so far this revision? Do you feel the items on offer appeal to a wide range of people?

• Yes for optional, unique items. No for vanilla items.

Custom Saddles

• Yes. Cosmetic and optional. Also good fun.

• Yes

• Both.

Elytra

• Next revision, how would you like to see elytra implemented? Something close to vanilla, something like this revision, or something different altogether?

• Getting vanilla resources should approximate vanilla difficulty, effort, and activity type. In vanilla you need to kill the end dragon, and then you are free to go get a lot of elytra. Killing an end dragon to get an elytra is similar to getting the first elytra in vanilla but more difficult than subsequent elytra in vanilla. I think it is an acceptable amount of effort for a player to go through to get one.

• Having experienced this revision, do you think elytra has a strong effect on whether or not people create other forms of transportation, or do you think that roads and rails etc. are created regardless of elytra?

• I use my elytra to make other forms of transportation. I haven't noticed any substantial increase in transportation infrastructure by delaying it or making it expensive.

• Do you feel there is more we could do to support road and rail builders next revision without necessarily affecting users of elytra? If so, what are your ideas on how this could be achieved?

• The most important resource for rails and roads are the people building them. Organized efforts to build server wide rails may be productive. There are likely people who would follow simple requests like "Remove all trees in this 5 wide strip going north" or "Continue this 6 wide platform of spruce planks using the wood provided" that would not plan and build their own rails. Likewise there are people who would happily collect resources required to build rails. This would require dedicated players who want to oversee the project, and in the last few revs nobody has stepped forward. I don't have a good remedy for this, but I think no amount of easy to acquire resources (as gold and iron are this rev) or minecart speed boosts will make rails as ubiquitous as active leadership in the build process would.

Events

The Lost Slime Golems
The Meandering Maze
  • We’ve tried to ensure that there are multiple events on offer throughout the revision, and that for ongoing events, prizes can be obtained by anyone who manages to complete them. Do you feel this has been beneficial to the server?

• Yes

•  

Portal hunt - Town location was selected the first couple days, and then I was busy building roads. Knowing that any portal found would be very unlikely to be usable for the town location we'd already established did not motivate me to hunt. I continued building roads instead.

• Slime Golems - Didn't get anywhere without a hint. Just rode a horse around randomly. I was later given approximate areas to look and had fun as a group going to each location and searching for a while. It reminded me of the first sentinel event where clues described the land around the sentinel and they could be found in ~20 minutes of searching each (assuming you got the clue right).

• Poetry - I'm just not a poet. I do like that the event was held and people seemed to enjoy it.

• Maze - I enjoyed this for the first ~4 hours I was in it. The rest of the time I persisted through sheer determination. I enjoyed the changing designs, and the courtyards throughout, but shorter would have been better
    • Mob Mayhem - I missed this :(
  • Is there any event past or present that you’d like to see return in Revision 23?

• Events are a great addition as they provide a fun insensitive for people to play and mix up the experience. As long as they're optional to participate in, there is no reason not to add more (besides the large amount of work that goes into them.

• I enjoy the adventuring events most. Getting a group together to cross the map is fun.

• Nope

General feedback

I touched on this above, but I want to restate it here.

Changes that add to the user experience are great. Anything that a player can just ignore and get a vanilla experience has very low risk for implementing. I put most events in this category. If an event happens that doesn't cater to your preferences you can just not participate.

Changes that are required to address practical problems with a large multiplayer environment are unfortunate, but acceptable. I put things like MobLimiter, custom spawners, LWC here. If the vanilla way worked well it would be great, but since it doesn't we make do. Some of these changes have no impact on you if you don't seek it out (custom spawners), and others have unintended side effects. These changes are not terribly risky if they approximate the vanilla experience.

Things that change a core mechanic of the game without significant practical need are likely to be controversial.

• Upvote 4

The Spawn Building

• ***Spawn was much easier to navigate than last rev (especially the portal), and the player made areas were fun to explore

The Overworld Map

• A little too large, but it doesn't worry me. I am happy with any size.

• I'd much rather vanilla terrain with 1.13 features, rather than custom terrain with none of the 1.13 features. Having played quite a few hours on the snapshot and pre-release, I'd consider skipping the next rev if 1.13 features were absent.

• ***Ore distribution seems fine to me, the dramatic changes in the way diamonds were distributed was a shock at first, but they were incredibly easy to find last rev. Not complaining about that at all though :P

The Nether Map

• I preferred last rev's nether (split into two) but I love both of them, especially the biomes. They make it less of an eye sore that it is.

• 1.13 nether is awful with a lot of dangerous ravines and lots of lavafalls. It's hard enough as it is. No vanilla nether please.

• Loved the quartz in the tentancles. 

• Custom mobs-they've made it more of an adventure and the increase in wither skeles has made it easier to get beacons. Definitely not a bad thing, gives more incentive to visit the beautiul nether!

The End

• I consider the vanilla dragon fight hard, and this custom rev's fight boring, easy and tedious. The EoF issues at the start put me off attempting the fight.

Mapworld

• Yes, it's silly to expect people to spend over an hour hand placing blocks for something so small. Even though it is far from vanilla using WE, so is mapworld in the first place. Plus it makes Ieuweh's job easier.

• Older maps are great, a lot of work was put into them, and they become sentimental.

Portals

• As fun as it is to hunt for portals given clues, it's a pain when most have already settled onto a designated site and are not close to the portal they have found, or being far south in mountainous terrain and not having a close portal until 5 weeks in. Definitely would not like to see this again.

• Only other alternate idea I can think of is having some kind of competition (much like the maze) where one has to obtain enough of something in which they cash in their prize (a portal). Bonus points if team work is required. That may also help with the claim and ditch some people do with spawners/portals

• IMO, the more portals the better. Playing vanilla recently, the nether travel is the best way to get around.

Iron Golem Spawners

• ***Golem costs were fine and the way it works doesn't concern me. Although I didn't need one, Straya did it for fun and had no issues with costs. It's very overpowered but a lot of hard work went to get to that level.

Custom Spawners

• Custom spawners are great.

• If spawners in the nether affect spawn rates, then I don't see a problem with them being in the overworld (assuming it's possible on a technical end)

• Creeper grinder is most useful for the crafting of rockets, and squid grinder is useful

• I think custom drops are a great idea and should be utilized to reward players with non vanilla items, such as the disguise saddles and the custom heads.

• Drop rates were fine.

• Fossil and amber trades were a good addition, would love to see more offered.

Custom Saddles

• Have you enjoyed the custom horse saddles available to trade this revision? Yes

• Would you like to see them return for next revision? Yes

• If so, do you prefer them as trade items, prizes, or some mixture of both? Both

Elytra

• Definitely able to obtain early on. Even though I don't use them that much, most players seem to want them without time restrictions

• Personally I've tried to create more roads this rev, but I'm unsure if others are the same. They can be quite time consuming. Having prebuilt roads in the map is always a possibility, having them simple and easily changed to customise, and it may encourage people to build close to them, or connect up to them if they are already set out on the map

• A smaller map may encourage more roads and tracks. Current revs size is quite large and everyone is spread out and takes more time and supplies

Events

• Events are always great. 

All in all, I'd suggest listening to the server has a whole (if possible) rather than the vocal minority, especially when it comes to large gameplay changes. It's impossible to please everyone, but you can't read the minds of the players. With small changes, it's easy to modify or reverse if most are unhappy, but with large changes without notice it's easy to lose regulars whilst trying to cater to new players. Don't be afraid to add in small changes, especially ones that don't affect gameplay.

***indicates edits

Edited by Kirstae
Edited because I forgot a whole sentence or two (marked with ***)
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

- I really enjoyed having the amber and fossils and things that dropped, and then being able to buy stuff with those, but I do feel that they should be kept to custom items such as the saddles or unbreaking 4 type stuff.

- I did not like how hard the elytra was to get. As others have said, it is a vanilla item and people who want to use it should be able to get it relatively easily. I did not like having to mine for 5 hours and then go kill the dragon to get the elytra, and then waiting another 2 weeks for the creeper spawner so i could actually use it. I think that maybe we could go back to rev 21's method of acquiring it, but maybe with a  more difficult dragon fight. If people are opposed to it, then thats ok. If you don't want it, just simply don't use it.

- I really liked the iron grinder costs this rev, as they are very overpowered but also quite difficult to get. I would like to see a thing where 1 spawner can get leveled up without having to  create additional ones.

Edited by teli_pinkerton
  • Upvote 3

Map

• 9000 x 9000 is definitely too large. Not only are bigger maps a bigger load on the server, and more work for the admins to craft by hand, the large distances between players and towns has only led to more Elytra dependence, more gold consumption by horses and communities that cannot connect organically, resulting in a sparse rail system and isolated pockets of players instead of natural town interactions. One quick glance at the live map and I can optimistically say that less than 25% of all land is actually used
  • I wager that even if you bring the map down to 7000x7000 or 6000x6000, there will still be NO land disputes or ore shortages and still plenty of scenery, biome variety and space for mega builds. Big places like Rose City (600x600) and Pico (400x350) would be considered the high end of walkable distances for residents and visitors alike -- towns of this size had their own inner city transit systems in the past.
  • The mesa biomes were great this rev. It was a bit hard finding regular sand though due to lack of deserts near spawn. I also felt the mountain areas were overdone in height and quantity and the balance needs to shift towards more open fields and river valleys the next time around.
  • The Solace/Pumpkinopolis region is a good example of how several towns and projects can effectively and peacefully co-exist within 1000 blocks when given good terrain.
  • As the next version of Minecraft is the Aquatic Update, please ensure that some portion of the generated map has an ocean shoreline or some large lakes (vanilla or custom). The amount of gameplay additions arising from this (turtles, dolphins, corals, tridents, tropical fish and shipwrecks) are too good to pass up.

Nether

• I continue to approve of custom nether terrain. I recognize the immense effort being put into it and that the result is always above and beyond my expectations. As long as it's not vanilla and nether quartz is not nerfed, everything is fine.
  • I can handle custom mobs, but not when they accidentally aggro nearby zombie pigmen. Those surprise attacks never end well unless I flee, and newer players may not have the armor or weapons to deal with it.
  • In terms of portal deployment, instead of leaving all 12 to find with 6 on a slow release, launch the rev with 4 portals immediately and leave 6-8 to find. You want the portals and its clues to be discovered within 30 days of the rev, when most of the exploration is occuring. Any length past that and most players will have lost interest because they've settled down and have started building something permanent based on the live map.

End

• The current ender dragon fight is too tedious and appears to be more of a raid boss confrontation designed for 15-25 players. You might want this for the first fight (since the reward is a dragon egg), but subsequent fights should go back to normal. At most, you would either increase the dragon's damage or its health, but no extra mobs. This will reduce server lag and make it more feasible for single players who want to farm Elytra using current methods.

Custom Spawners

• There are four custom spawners of which I feel are valuable to this community and should be kept somewhere on the map. Creeper and Shulker grinders are mainstays on this server based on our population. Slime and Ghast have lesser uses but are still important for piston/potion users to have.

Elytra

• Making the map larger and making Elytra harder to obtain are not a good combination. I believe anyone who wants to obtain Elytra and fly around should realistically be able to do so, and those who go without are not discouraged by sheer distances and long travel times. My suggestions for the dragon fight and the map size, along with going back to the rev 21 method of farming Elytra would put this matter back in a better place.

Edited by saberfysh
  • Upvote 4

The Spawn Building

• Love this spawn's spawn building.  Bringing back past revs was a wonderful idea! 

• Spawn is very easy to escape from, though I really appreciate the addition of signage  to help direct me where I need to go.

• Please don't get rid of the rules boards. New players really do read it!

• Signs. On all the things, pls. You can't have too many signs. Srslytho. More signs to have directions to the various places is a boon, not a distraction!

The Overworld Map

• To me it feels just right, but I like the big so I can build up in my little corner without anyone building up right next to me this revision. :eyes argoth:

• I'd be fine with returning to vanilla. I'll miss some of the world painted pretties, but I think 1.13's additions will make up for it.  I wouldn't want to go full on Water World, however! Maybe lots of islands or many large ocean/lakes?

• Biomes seem fine to me, but then I'm hiding in my corner and (currently) haven't been on much recently.

• The only complaint, though I'm not sure it's really a complaint, is lack of gravel for concrete making. But I see, with the newest of contests, that Padmins have heard our prayers for more gravel/sand. :D

The Nether Map

• I loved the nether this revision. Loved loved loved!

• The nether this revision was refreshing! It was exciting to explore and run terrified from. I don't armour up and I was able to, as long as I was careful, stay alive while collecting resources.

• It would be nice if netherspawn was slightly less terrifying, some way to keep mobs from spawning within the immediate boundary. It's no beuno to have traveled all the way from the corner of the map to spawn, then pop into the nether to immediately die to a waiting wither skeleton.

• Nether ores seemed fine to me and I was able to mine for what I needed. But then I'm only one person, so I don't need much.

The End

• No feedback on the Ender Dragon fight.  I don't really take part in the fight (tried once, died within 10 seconds of showing up! yay me!)

• No other issues!

Mapworld

• Keep WorldEdit!

• Not sure which world edit commands are missing as I haven't played around with them rencently. Honestly, if we have the basics, I think that's fine. Basics are still better than having to handplace everything.

• Bringing back old maps is awesome and I love it!   If there was a way to kidnap some of Creatives maps, that'd be awesome, too, but it's understandable if that borks PvE somehow (too many  maps loading or something)

Portals

• Spawner number at start and forward: I'd prefer to have them all out at the start rather than popping them in after.  I wanted to build out in the wilderness, no portals or anything nearby and ended up near an end portal and a netherportal.

• I don't have any preferences on other means of portals other than never ever bring back the hourly shifting portals.

• amount & distribution: Seems fine, but I've been using them sparingly...

Iron Golem Spawners

• Don't have anything new to say about the  iron golem spawners.  Both Barlimore and didy have heard me complain about them enough over the past year. :D

-----------------------------------------

Finished the bottom portion!

--------------------------------------------

Custom Spawners

• How do you feel about the inclusion of custom spawners in the map? Would you prefer to have, or not have them?  I do like having the custom spawners, I really only use the iron grinders and the shulker spawners, so there's that. I'd be annoying not to have the shulkers. Can't speak to the rest of them having vs not having them as it wouldn't much affect me.

• Early revision feedback suggested that custom spawners in the nether were not a good idea, due to an observed local effect on spawn rates. Would you prefer custom spawners in various worlds, or do you think they should be confined to the overworld?  As long as it doesn' tmess with spawn rates, I don't care where the spawners end up.

• Which custom spawners do you think are particularly useful in a multiplayer setting, if any? s I'd like to keep the shulkers, and I suppose those dirty, dirty elytra users would appreciate a creeper spawner. :D

• Do you think these custom drops have been a positive addition to the overall gameplay, and would you like to see something similar next revision? I haven't been really digging them out on purpose, but it is a lot of fun.

• We spent some time at the start of the revision adjusting things to try to make sure the drop rate felt rewarding but not too common. How far to you feel we succeeded in that respect?  since I'm not actively digging them out, I'm not sure.

• Do you think the fossil and amber trades at spawn have been a worthwhile addition so far this revision? Do you feel the items on offer appeal to a wide range of people? Having the full list of what's available at the start instead of letting it out piecemeal would be better.

Custom Saddles

• Have you enjoyed the custom horse saddles available to trade this revision? You have underestimated how terrifying it is for an unsuspecting defi to have visitors come upon me. Such horror. Such terror!!!

• Would you like to see them return for next revision? My heart says YES and my nerves say no. But the heart wins out.

Elytra

I'm not a dirty elytra user.  I personally would like more rails, but since we don't have the vast network of overland rails that we used to, I can understand why people would like to use elytra instead, to see the land, as it were. I really don' thave any other elytra opinions.

•  

Events

The Lost Slime Golems
The Meandering Maze
  • We’ve tried to ensure that there are multiple events on offer throughout the revision, and that for ongoing events, prizes can be obtained by anyone who manages to complete them. Do you feel this has been beneficial to the server?  Some are good. The events that a single player can manage are fun.

• Are there any events you have particularly enjoyed this revision so far?  s I enjoyed the Slime Golem search because I invited myself along with Rose. It was fun doing it with others. (Only died once? Twice?) 

• Is there any event past or present that you’d like to see return in Revision 23?   Not sure.

• Have you any new event ideas that you’d like to share?  Nope

Edited by defiex
finishing the feedback!
  • Upvote 2

I've only played on this rev since May, so I don't have much to comment on a lot of these, but I'll put in two cents!

The Overworld Map

• I think I personally would prefer a slightly smaller map size.

• I notice people this rev seem to have claimed / fenced off huge swaths of land that they'll never fill up. I don't mind it too much since the map is big enough, but it might be worth mentioning to people to dissuade it.

• I wish there was a tad more ocean biome this rev.

• I liked the archaeology theme and the custom drops! And I felt they were at a good frequency. (Then again, I've only played a few weeks, and maybe that's not enough time to get sick of them.)

Events

• I love all the events! I think you do a good job of having a nice variety.
  • Upvote 3

The Spawn Building

• Good spawn. The rail station below and the roads above to tie in was cool. The theme was cool.
  • I like how over the rev you are adding stuff to it to reflect events/things/happenings in the rev. - very cool A living Spawn that changes is fun

The Overworld Map

• Map is too large imho. I like the older maps of rev14-15 where we filled in the map and developed it. Having a large map does give more biome choices and more land/options but it seems like we are all spread out and be cool to see what it is like to be on a smaller map again.
  • I like vanilla maps more than painted ones. I think it was cool we did some custom painted maps but rotating between painted/vanilla is nice to keep it fresh. The vanilla generation on the chaos server right now is pretty cool and amazing.

The Nether Map

• Given all the issues with vanilla Nether I like we have custom nether that is somewhat challenging but a great place to farm skulls without issue of population in the nether and it also was a great place to farm sand/concrete powder/clay in bulk without destroying the overworld. Although I enjoy Vanilla maps - I understand how the nether was used to help give people access to large amounts of newer blocks.

The End

• I think having a fight like the ender dragon where you can recruit a bunch of people and go fight an epic boss fight is cool. Although with the Ender Dragon Fight building on the main asteroid has gone away in place of building an arena to fight the dragon. Maybe we could have a separate spot in the End to develop for Ender Dragon fights and then the main asteroid could be terra-formed by others as home/builds. Probably not possible. 

Mapworld

• Awesome place. I wish it was easier to build mass pictures. I am not very good at this or know how to do this without like painfully placing each block. 

Portals

• I was interested to see how this would play out with the finding of 1 new portal a week. After watching it go down I would have the opinion it is better to have the portals out and done earlier for planning/picking build spots. 
  • Biome/location seems to be more important than nether portal. So people will find the nether portal and not have them built into the town. But as just a place nearby. We are going away from Nether portals as something cool to have in your town to "just find the close one to the biome we want to be in". Given this we should look at maybe trying to let bigger/key towns have nether portals. Imagine a portal to active towns that pick themes and build out as the rev goes? or a town that has a good xp grinder or village trading? The problem is always how many to give out and how to determine it. You don't want to favor known builders over the unknown so the find in the wild was always a "fair" approach but then you got a bunch of nether portals that are meh - okay whatever. I think we could find a way to allow key towns in key locations to have a nether. Have like 4-8 based on geography - 1-2 in each quad - but then you have 4-8 up for grabs to assign to established towns that meet both a geographic  location and/or need of the server - like XP/villagers/cool builds/etc. So you have both portals for everyone to find/use and you reward long time or organized builds to let them submit an application for nether portals and the admins decide. Of have a server vote on it to allow it. 

Iron Golem Spawners

• Worked great - well done

Custom Spawners

• Roll them out as rewards for events/challenges vs exploring. So people can place them where they are living and they earned it as a prize.
  • Order the roll out based on need - like Shulker first because people will want these. Maybe hide it in the end islands to be found as a reward and placed anywhere/later
  • Slime/Squid/Witch/Creeper/Drowned To follow later with other rewards for other events/challenges
  •  XP for mending is huge and we should consider a way to get multi-2x-4x mob grinders for xp - End grinder is not very good and not everyone wants to do other ways like village trading to get XP.

• This was very cool. My only suggestion is have ALL the items you can get from Amber upfront. Rolling out means people will pick the "best" items but you suddenly roll out a better item they would pick instead later they have regret spending the items they would have saved. I understand the roll outs are because this is a new system being developed but for the future I would try to have it all upfront so people know how to priority the drops for what items.

Custom Saddles

• meh - amusing for a few minutes but otherwise you don't see yourself on the custom mount - only others see it so it wasn't a big deal. But I understand cosmetics means more to others but I rather spend the amber on other things.

Elytra

• 6 weeks out was too long for people who want these. Those who work hard for these should be rewarded. Not everyone wants to fly but those who do should be enabled to fly. I will not be a flyer but I don't want my views to impact others from not flying. Please let them fly earlier.

Events

• Mob Arenas - Awesome!
  • Poem Contest - Creative and awesome!
  • Mazes - not my thing but people enjoy it
  • Builds - I think we need more of these - And display winners at spawn. Tie it into making a living spawn updating over time. Have themes - Houses/Bridges - set size limits etc.
  • Upvote 3

The Spawn Building
    •    Do you feel the spawn building was well laid out, with clear exits?
 Yes
    •    After our early revision feedback topic, we made a few amendments to the spawn and surrounding areas, such as changing to a central portal build, removing some of the hindering barrier blocks in the gardens, and adding more signage. Do you feel these changes were beneficial?
 Yes

The Overworld Map
    •    How do you feel about the current overworld map size? Too small, too large, just right?
 I'd be interested in seeing how a smaller map would change the dynamic of the revision.
    •    Given that next revision is likely to move to 1.13, we're expecting that our current terrain generator will not be updated in time. How do you feel about a return to a vanilla map for the upcoming revision, in order to fully experience 1.13 map features?
 I'd be okay with that, though I would be surprised if there wasn't an update by then to the various tools we use, especially since the update is due out relatively soon and we won't be updating until around September.
    •    Were any biomes lacking or too abundant this revision?
 I haven't seen a single birch forest this rev. I'm glad you saw things my way. ;)
    •    Any comments on resources and/or ore distribution?
 Good.

The Nether Map
    •    How have you found the Nether this revision?
 Absolutely love it.
    •    Would you like to see a custom or vanilla Nether map for next revision?
 Custom!
    •    Any particular features of past or present Nether maps that you would like to see again?
 My only complaint is how volatile the terrain is between the custom spots.
    •    Any comments on resources and/or quartz distribution?
 Both seem good.
    •    Have the new Nether mobs been a good or a bad addition in your opinion?
 I don't really have an opinion either way. 

The End
    •    Feedback from Revision 21 suggested we should try making the Ender Dragon fight more difficult. How do you feel this has worked in Revision 22? Would you like to see a return to the regular dragon fight, or a different custom battle in Revision 23?
 Maybe we can work something out to limit the amount of mobs that can spawn in order to take some strain off of lower-end GPUs.
    •    Have you experienced any issues with The End this revision that you'd like to make known for Revision 23?
 None that I can think of.

Mapworld
    •    Last revision, we were asked to implement WorldEdit to assist people in Mapworld. Do you feel this has been useful in Revision 22, and would you like to see it continue?
 Yes!!!
    •    Are there any WorldEdit commands that you feel would be useful and are lacking in the current Mapworld set?
 No
    •    We were also asked to bring back any older maps created in Revisions 17-19 that were available, and have recently achieved this with the help of Tech Admins. Do you feel this has been a beneficial addition to the server?
 I personally have not benefited, but I know many people are enjoying it.

Portals
    •    This revision we launched with 6 portals available to find, and 6 more released over the course of a number of weeks. Do you prefer this method, or would you like to see a return to launching all portals at rev start?
 I preferred all goodies being available from the start of the rev.
    •    Do you have any completely different methods you'd like to see enacted in regards to portals?
 I think the portals could use a little spice. The clock system might be a little too much spice, but something along those general lines.
    •    How do you feel about the amount, and distribution, of portals this revision?
 Fair.

Iron Golem Spawners
    •    How were the costs this revision?
 Good.
    •    In the present system, players work through tiered levels of spawners, to gradually increase their iron production over time. Do you think this works well, or would you prefer a different system (such as fixing the spawners at one level).
 I think it works well.
    •    Did you find the rewritten instructions in the PvE Information Guide easier to follow and understand?
 Yes.

Custom Spawners
    •    How do you feel about the inclusion of custom spawners in the map? Would you prefer to have, or not have them?
 Beyond preference, I think they're a necessity on a large multiplayer server like ours.
    •    Early revision feedback suggested that custom spawners in the nether were not a good idea, due to an observed local effect on spawn rates. Would you prefer custom spawners in various worlds, or do you think they should be confined to the overworld?
 I do not think spawners should be located in the Nether. Taking them out would allow us to go back to a more vanilla nether in terms of mechanics (fortresses, wither skeleton hunting, etc).
    •    Which custom spawners do you think are particularly useful in a multiplayer setting, if any?
 Squid and creeper, for ink and gunpowder. I'm not sure ghast or zig spawners are really necessary. I think it would also be nice if we could sort of "reimagine" The End dimension in a way that makes elytra *AND* shulkers renewable, as the shulker spawners are ridiculously overpowered.

•    Do you think these custom drops have been a positive addition to the overall gameplay, and would you like to see something similar next revision?
 Yes! I love it. It's almost an addiction.
    •    We spent some time at the start of the revision adjusting things to try to make sure the drop rate felt rewarding but not too common. How far to you feel we succeeded in that respect?
 Yes.
    •    Do you think the fossil and amber trades at spawn have been a worthwhile addition so far this revision? Do you feel the items on offer appeal to a wide range of people?
 Yes.

Custom Saddles
    •    Have you enjoyed the custom horse saddles available to trade this revision?
 Yes, though it's unfortunate that the Minecraft client prevents being able to see your own horse change in first-person view.
    •    Would you like to see them return for next revision?
 Sure.
    •    If so, do you prefer them as trade items, prizes, or some mixture of both?
 Both. I liked the idea of obtaining them from admin hunts.

Elytra
    •    Next revision, how would you like to see elytra implemented? Something close to vanilla, something like this revision, or something different altogether?
 Something different altogether, but closer to vanilla. See my comment above regarding Custom Spawners and The End.
    •    Having experienced this revision, do you think elytra has a strong effect on whether or not people create other forms of transportation, or do you think that roads and rails etc. are created regardless of elytra?
 I do not think there is much of a correlation at all. I spent a long time across the first two months of the revision building rails all over the place. Haven has a number of connections, almost all built by Silver and I. I think pez's (?) comment about the lack of rail-building leadership, and the map size, contribute much more to the lack of rails.
    •    Do you feel there is more we could do to support road and rail builders next revision without necessarily affecting users of elytra? If so, what are your ideas on how this could be achieved?
 I think the people that want to see more road and rail need to step up and start a collaborative group (or don't, and just build your own roads and rails), instead of relying on the padmins to answer their problems for them.

Events

• The Lost Slime Golems - I did not like this event. I simply don't have the time or patience to wander the map aimlessly.
  • The Archaeologists' Guild Poetry Competition - Good idea! I'm not a poet but I see many others enjoyed it.
  • The Meandering Maze - *twitch*
  • Mob Mayhem! (PvE Arena Events) - unfortunately didn't get to participate due to the server throwing a hissy-fit, but it looked like a lot of fun.

•    We've tried to ensure that there are multiple events on offer throughout the revision, and that for ongoing events, prizes can be obtained by anyone who manages to complete them. Do you feel this has been beneficial to the server?
 Yes.
    •    Are there any events you have particularly enjoyed this revision so far?
 Unfortunately... not really.
    •    Is there any event past or present that you'd like to see return in Revision 23?
 NITWITS. All The Things Challenge. Did I say NITWITS? Also, NITWITS.
    •    Have you any new event ideas that you'd like to share? NITW-- just kidding. I'll brainstorm.

• Upvote 4

The Overworld Map

* I am not sure what the statistics are, but hitting diamond deposits that were usually at most four ore made it feel rare.  Otherwise resources felt alright.

* A big map like this one is fine (it's big enough that it dulls the usefulness of elytra imo), but a smaller map might be fun for a rev.  Shorter distances between settlements might incentivize rail building.

The Nether Map

* It's an aesthetically interesting place with hidden points of interest underground, and it has treacherous terrain.  I like it and wish I spent more time looking around.

* The mobs are well designed - comparable in difficulty to the existing natural-spawn mobs, easy to identify from a distance, straightforward to run from when aggroed.  They add more variety to the Nether's life and potentially different challenges to face (the berzerker in particular becomes a little scarier for shield users).  It's also nice to have far more opportunities to collect skulls with the different wither skeleton variants.  The only objection I have to them is philosophical - it feels silly that skulls (endgame-ish item) were made extremely easy to come across, juxtaposed next to elytra (endgame item) which was made significantly harder to obtain.

The End

* The dragon fight is not bad - I'm extremely appreciative of the fact that, while the dragon fight was made harder, it was not made impossible to solo.  The fight is admittedly a bit annoying with so much health to knock down and distractions to keep down, but it is fun - incidentally, it has also become my go-to source of blaze rods...

Portals

* I have mixed feelings about portals being delayed over the course of the early rev.  On one hand it makes for a fun event and prolongs some of that first-day excitement; on the other hand, portals going up late seem to miss the initial infrastructure/city location planning and there doesn't seem to be much going on around them.

* The amount of portals for this size feels good - several that fast travel around the map is still fairly possible and (appears to) satisfy demand for building near them, but not enough that they are frequent occurrences.

Custom Spawners

* Custom spawners are nice to have on the map, and I think is one of the unique things about the server that, while we could strictly speaking go without any of them (besides perhaps shulkers), it has become part of the culture that I wouldn't want to see them vanish.  The creeper spawner at least is probably the most well known one, and my guess is it will also be the most missed if it disappears.  That said, I don't really mind custom spawners existing on the map - if I don't feel it is worth it to journey to one (eg. too far away, don't like the place, can get enough locally), I simply will not visit.  Plus, it is nice to have the grinder option available even if I don't use it all the time.

* I admittedly have not felt the missing spawns that came with players visiting spawners in the Nether, so I don't have much to comment on it.

Custom Drops from Ores

* It's a fun mechanic this rev and I enjoy that chance of getting rare drops, for no other reason than to hope to collect all the rare drops.  It's been a strong motivation for me to mine more this rev.  To be able to trade them in for amber that can be traded for other fun items is nice too - though I would argue that the items that can be purchased with amber should be cosmetic rather than useful (eg. I don't think elytra should be among those items).  I don't have much to weigh in on how common or rare the drops should be - the current odds are okay.

Elytra

* I am admittedly not a huge fan of mining, and find EoF to be easier to obtain than amber fragments.  That said, I would like to see elytra costs be both cheaper and more deterministic (more like what it was previously than what it was this rev).  Fighting the dragon by itself was a good cost in that sense, since the cost to obtain the elytra is more consistent across all players and is (imo) also fun.  Mining to get lucky enough to amass the required amber felt far more like grinding in comparison - I don't think something this sought after should be placed behind a (usually) fundamentally random cost.  A delay in introduction like this rev isn't a lot of fun to sit through either - I don't believe the detriment to the community is great enough to justify that.  (It can be argued that getting the ghast tears for the crystals itself is random, but I feel the random element in obtaining the essence of flight is much smaller compared to obtaining amber.  To be fair, the event prizes provide enough amber as well - the meandering maze prize itself contains enough for unenchanted elytra - but I don't feel they should be relied on to obtain the needed amber.)

* I don't mind elytra generating in the End personally, though this rev I appreciated the fact that they were removed - it would have been disconcerting to juxtapose the cost of reaching an End city with the current cost of elytra.  The cheaper cost from previous revs was more comparable with getting to an End city.

* From a personal standpoint I don't think the presence of elytra really changes my willingness to invest in other transportation methods.  I would argue that cheap elytra doesn't change the rail or road situation much - in fact, from eyeballing the deadmap, I think this rev's rail network seems comparable to or less extensive than last rev's, despite the fact that elytra was cheaper previously.  The issue to me doesn't appear to be elytra displacing rails, but rather fewer are willing to build them.  

* Personally, my willingness to invest in other non-elytra transportation infrastructure doesn't feel based on speed or ease of use alone - afk-friendliness, utility of the line, distance, time available to build, and motivation are some additional factors in that decision.  Being in a remote area by itself made laying rail feel like a more prohibitive investment, even more so if the places I visit for resources are themselves distant.

* The approach of drawing more attention to rail stations and incentivizing building of rails (eg. stations marked on live map as a /place, stations at spawn) was a good idea I thought.  I can say from firsthand experience last rev that having that spawn rail station in the Nether (ie. a destination with instructions on how to connect to it) was a motivating factor in laying the rail.  Admittedly I don't live near enough to spawn in the overworld to lay rail to it, but having that destination, especially knowing there is a space for a connection, helps make the effort feel worthwhile.

Events

* I appreciate the amber that is placed in the prize boxes given how sought after and how (sometimes?) rare they are otherwise.  I'm not entirely sure about the extra-enchanted prizes being given out, but demand for them does not seem to be very high (at least from my experience holding a Fortune 4 pick).

* The poetry contest was a nice switch and touches more on the extra-layer-of-community in contrast with other events that take place solely in the game (slime golems, maze), and I appreciated that change of pace.  (I didn't expect to win though O.o)  

* I feel there should be some more events where the difficulty is toned down so a player can finish it solo without having to excessively brute force search (I think the maze would fall in the soloable category while the slime golems search would not - with no clues, finding golems in a 9kx9k map feels really tough even with a live map).  Joining up with a group to finish an event makes for a lot of fun (eg. Alien scavenger hunt a few revs back), but being faced with a very large search area feels intimidating if working on it alone.

* I'm looking forward to the aliens returning myself :O

EDIT: 

Iron Grinders

* I know I mentioned they felt really expensive early in the rev. They still do, but after obtaining two spawners, the entry level cost doesn't feel too high.  I still don't feel the cost tracks very well with vanilla, but that is perhaps more of a philosophical objection than practical.

Edited by buzzie71
  • Upvote 2

The Spawn Building

• Loved the spawn building this rev - particularly enjoyed the small previews for each event being held as well as the recognition of various towns from previous revs that had put in the time!

• Yes it is very clear where the exits are but if possible could the cardinal directions be put into the ground or into a more visible location in the next rev? ie. N(orth), S(outh) etc.

• The portal change was a very much needed thing especially with the delay on elytra leading to the use of more horses early rev(horses would go through a random portal leading to an annoying search)

• It is better now without the chat spam as well when trying to walk in any direction out of spawn

• Aside from the cardinal direction indicators I don't have much criticism about spawn personally(although I did see the huge amount of people getting stuck in the rail system below spawn - not that it affected me this rev so far)

The Overworld Map

• I like the map size, I feel like it is just right. Bigger would feel like friends were even further away(ie. when they need urgent help/trade etc.)

• The only change this rev it seems has been the fossils and small increase in diamond ore spawns? It doesn't have glowstone/quartz like the previous rev so it wouldn't bother me much since we have been awhile without custom campfires and dungeons.

• More oceans were lacking, the only 1 was the top right corner, the rest of the water was just lakes :(

• I think with enough time anyone can get enough resources and ore, it just requires a small investment(that being said - sand.gravel biomes are super helpful for concrete making)

The Nether Map

• I love the huge increase in Nether mobs, also the custom nether is really quite cool!

• A custom one would be quite nice in my opinion

• The glowstone trees were awesome in my opinion, as well as the spheres

•   If there could be a closer spot of soulsand next rev that would be nice, quartz I had no problem with

• Mentioned in the 1st question! I love them - GREAT addition in my opinion!

The End

• This dragon fight was ... quite a thing(I did it solo). The sheer amount of lag from blazes on my 1st kill required me to switch to single player to lower my settings(already lower end, but lowered even more so with Optifine) and then load back in with the hail of fire. Lowering the setting made the game semi-playable to the point of me being able to kill it but the gfx were so bad it was not enjoyable at all. Not to mention the elytra burning up in the fires of the 1000 suns.

• The second(+) kill(s) went much more smoothly when we had figured out that the dragon was on a time sink and that hitting it once weakness wore off helped a lot. However coming from other games that make you wait around for debuffs to wear off before you can progress again is quite tedious and really boring imo :(

• Please no return of this current dragon fight(even after the improvement of the elytra's being deposited directly into a player's inventory). Please either return the regular dragon fight or at the VERY least remove the weakness effect. Blazes were also a poor choice imo(quite laggy + fire)

• No problems in The End aside from the above mentioned things in the dragon fight!

Mapworld

• Omg yes please. It has saved my hands from spazzing out quite a lot/having to activate a macro for right clicking because my hands start to hurt in previous revs.

• If possible "//replace <block id> 0" would be nice(replacing certain blocks with air)

• YES! Love that the old maps were brought back - also love the huge increase in space!

• Other comments:

• If there was a way to "store" your inventory to go in and out of map world that would be really nice. Having to empty it on both the entrance and exit of the world seems understandably necessary(to avoid glitches/bugs/duping), but is quite tedious.

• If there was a command like /mapworld that required an empty inventory but was able to be used from anywhere in the world that would be nice too(not sure how realistic this is because returning the player to the location might be tricky to do)

Portals

• The portals being hunted for was fun, however I feel like if an original portal has not been found by the time the 2nd of the next set of 6 is released there should be hints for the original portal included, however obscure they may be

• Portals that lead to all different biomes would be awesome(but not realistic if heading for a natural seed for next rev), however it would make other portals easier to find also

• I feel like the amount is good, but the distribution seems quite odd. Uniform portals(or semi-uniform) would lead to less expanses of terrain with no nearby portal(not just on the edges of the map - see NE and SE sides)

Iron Golem Spawners

• Costs initially were good. The steep price of the later tiers seems unrealistic, especially with the attrition rate later on in the rev as less players login because they have completed their builds(or insert other reason here __) leading to less golem souls being farmed and available for trade or discovery.

• I think the upgrade system is good, however it should be either capped at 4/5(not 10). Iron becomes a much LESS needed commodity later in the rev it feels like for a lot of towns(not basing this on certain player's inclinations) and giving them MORE iron later seems silly to me. A new player does not need tier 10 levels of iron either imo and a level 2 or 3 would pump out more than enough for someone joining late in the rev with a couple minutes of AFK.

• The PvE guide was fine for me, but the rewritten instructions I'm sure made it easier to understand!

Custom Spawners

• I love the custom spawners around the map and 100% prefer to have them.

• I think the spawners should be confined to overworld personally(even if there was a Zig one). Reasoning for this is that spawn rates on a server in the nether are quite atrocious if more than 1 person is in at the same time(unless all players are together) and people AFKing at grinders would hog the spawns like crazy.

• I think all of the current spawners have their place in a multiplayer setting - this includes shulkers, squids, slimes, and creepers*

• Creeper spawner only matters really after the Elytra are released(and for Tic and Ice's show), however most of us in our town saved all our gunpowder in preparation for the release and the delay on the creeper spawner wasn't bad imo.

• Love them, I would like to see the rate actually increased on lapis/emeralds/diamond as it was stated because it actually felt faster to just mine the coal/iron to get fossils/rares and had no real reason to go for the other ones(or at least increase the rare rate on lapis/emerald/diamond)

• I think the drop rate is at a good spot, however see my comment above for the opinions on rarer ore types.

• I think they are a great addition and I also think they have something for new and more experienced players!

Custom Saddles

• I think the saddles would be much more enjoyable if the player themselves could see the mount they were riding and not just other players(I know there is a command for it when standing still but this was a big thing for the people in my town - not being able to see their own skins). That being said, I do love all the skins available!!

• Yes(but with the thing mentioned above!)

• A mixture of both is good

Elytra

• I think the delay was good, but also for a fair multiplayer environment something close to vanilla would be bad(ie. only found in end cities). I think the current way of doing it(beat dragon = get elytra + head) is good for a multiplayer experience but with the delay of a few weeks after rev launch.

• I do not think elytra plays any part of that in my opinion(it may lead to other players building less roads/railways, but I'm of the firm mindset that towns need roads and/or train stations!)

• Rail building kits of some kind would be nice for newer towns who don't have that much gold/iron at the start to get rails and powered rails funded.

Events

• Yes. I love variety in events(even if I hate the way some are done- ie. no hints! @#^&%). I think that having multiple events encourages people to go do something a little out of their comfort zone/gives them a break from whatever projects they were working on!

• I enjoyed the slime golem hunt(Enjoyed being a very ... loose term! :P), as well as the maze!

• The challenge castles of Rev 21 were SUPER fun for me and my friends

• The nitwits puzzles were quite fun also(decoding the hints was fun!)

• Not off the top of my head at the moment but maybe in the future!

• Upvote 3

Hello!

The Spawn Building

• The spawn building is gorgeous by all means. Inclusion of a museum is a nice touch!
  • As far as the layout, my only concern here is the layout. While an open courtyard with four paths going out towards the cardinal directions is pretty straight forward, having the rules under the spawn area is somewhat out of the way. There should be a sense of flow from the Initial expression of connecting to the server for the first time that leads the player towards signs that explain the general/basic rules of the server and it's features/capabilities. It's hard to explain without a flow chart or a mock-up model, and I'm bad at making both :p .
  • Spawn should be inviting and should have a balance of what the server is about while not being overly overwhelming. A few signs or floating text leading the player to a central area that contains general rules with some side areas containing in-depth commands and other details that a first timer should read, but might be too intimidated by them at first to do so.
  • I'm not sure if my observations are correct, but there were a few times where a new player or two will hop on, walk around inner spawn then after a few minutes, disconnect. Even after warm welcomes and helpful links posted in chat, there could be other means of making a first impression better.

The Overworld Map

• The current size is great! However, it feels like the larger communities of old are either too spread out or we just have too many hermits (like myself) living out in the middle of nowhere. Not really a concern, but it is a thought. Vanilla generation is not really a concern, but we won't have floating islands now, won't we? :p
  • As far as biomes are concerned, do the mushroom island biomes spawn mooshrooms? The one I'm currently in has not granted me one yet, but that might be because of the nature of world painter. As far as other biomes are concerned, a balance of water and land is hard to get by, but I've been seeing a trend of areas where there is a lot of water, and areas where it's just land. This may be difficult to address with the incoming update.
  • Outlandish map generations such as those used in far earlier revs are fun but can be too daunting for the more casual player to use (Like the extreme setting, or if somehow we were able to include all biomes to the Buffet generation setting in 1.13).
  • Ore distribution is good, we'll always complain about finding diamonds, though!

The Nether Map

• I found the nether refreshing this time around, but it is disheartening to see that certain rare formations were marked off for particular cities that contain a resource that is highly sought after. It might just be because I have not fully explored the nether, but it can be a task to find certain types/colors of cement powder at times.
  • Vanilla nether generation has the downside of not containing more resource/types of blocks. That's the only downside!
  • As far as features, ghasts are really hard to find. But that's probably a good thing since it'd be too easy to gain access to dragon fights.
  • Moar quartz!
  • I welcome  the custom nether mobs. The nether should be hostile and a player should be prepared to venture into such areas.

The End

• The difficulty of the ender dragon fight forces players to work together, which is nice.
  • As far as issues, where can one get a buttload™ of nether brick?

Mapworld

• No issues here, all's good in the world!

Portals

• 6 initial portals and a delayed release of the rest is good, forces players to explore the map more.
  • No issues regarding to methods~
  • However, portal placement should be more balanced and maybe placed in more adventurous locations. Like a floating island! :U

Iron Golem Spawners

• Costs are good and are pretty much linear to what I expect them to be. More iron drops = more souls required to collect.
  • See above comment!
  • The guide is pretty straight forward, I just keep forgetting the URL... D:

Custom spawners

• They are a good addition, rather than making outlandish mob grinders that take up too much time, resource and server usage to make/operate.
  • Custom spawners should be left in the overworld if they have a profound effect on natural nether spawns (like them withers).
  • It would be funny to have random spawners hidden, especially ones that spawn those certain event mobs during those certain holidays...

• This is a really cool feature! I keep reading about how this makes most players excited about mining and that the rewards are pretty damn good too!
  • I feel that the drop rate is at a good level now. 
  • The addition of fossil/amber trades are a worthwhile addition. Especially for aesthetic items that are not normally attained via normal means. 

Custom Saddles

• I haven't had the pleasure of getting one, but I know a few people with them...and they enjoy them a lot!
  • Yes, let it happen next rev!
  • Being able to trade for them is great, but if one can win an ender dragon mount...

Events

• I can't say much here because I keep forgetting to join in on events or got too buried in work to attend :( .
  • However, events like the Slime Golem hunt is pretty fun. I tried the Maze, but I get lost too easily and left after finding one shard in TWO hours D: .
  • Bring back .05k! Or 5k. Or 20k. 
  • I don't have any event ideas at this time, but if they do crop up, I may put up discussion for it sometime!

Addendum

Feels like cement is hard to come by, is it just me? (Add a trade NPC for them >:D )

[Space reserved for additional comments™]

Edited by Sumeragi
Was missing a bullet point D:
  • Upvote 3

The Spawn Building

The spawn building is very nice. I enjoy the insides a lot.

While the layout is fine, I think there could be some signs at spawn what's in what side of the spawn (even though I've been there several times, I find myself going round and round, trying to find the specific thing I'm looking for).

I didn't have anything against the corner portals as such, only that atleast I did not see anything that told where they were. One portal with a clear location works best though (not necessarily in the centre). And good riddence with the barrier blocks. I don't think they served any actual purpose and were just problematic.

For rev 23 I'll echo the others who are hoping for an underwater spawn. Just makes sense it would be in the middle of those new beautiful coral reefs, right there visible everytime you visit spawn.

The Overworld Map

I think I've reach my limit and won't be asking for a bigger map after this. This is now on the verge of a tad too big, which I feel especially when making infrasturcture. The time and materials needed to make a road from A to B, is too much.

For the 1.13 map, I don't think it's horrible if it's not a biome bundle map. When it comes to P, everything is temporary after all. Might be the right time to "cleanse the pallette" and see what vanilla minecraft maps look now again, especially with the 1.13. At this point I don't even know anymore what is vanilla and what's biome bundle (I LOVE BB, don't get me wrong, but 1.3 is shiny and new).

I think the oceans were too few and shallow this rev, though I know they're not that popular with the majority. Could use a couple giant deserts too for proper sand quarry.

Not so much about the ore distribution, since I think it was pretty much perfect this rev (a teeny bit more diamonds wouldn't hurt); but I'm missing the multispawner dungeons that we've had for a few revs. Not sure if the distribution of them was changed since last rev or if the random generator just didn't bless us with any this rev (or maybe they're out there and nobody has found any), but I feel like there could be a bigger density of dungeons/regular spawners for multigrinder purposes. Nobody likes to spend their game time hitting mobs semi-afk more than absolutely needed.

The Nether Map

I'm a fan of the map. It's beautiful.

Vanilla nether is just lacking. Please make another custom one.

The custom nether I've enjoyed the most, was the double layer one. I do think it's nice to have a "roof" in the nether and there wasn't anything that I didn't like with the double layered one. Just added a lot into the nether.

I did also like the premade spawn railstation in the nether.

More glowstone in some form or way in the nether  [I take this back. Just hadn't found it. There's insane amounts of it in the nether. No need for more.] (I don't miss having it in the overworld. It belongs in the nether, so I think that was a good decision). I

The mobs in the nether are a welcome spice. Even if I'm doing a corpse run, I've never had an issue going through the nether with no gear, so I don't think they are unreasonable. My only complaint with them was, that they were camping the spawn portal at one point, making it impossible to use, since they kill you right when coming out or when trying to get in. Not sure if this has been fixed.

The End

I've killed the dragon a couple times, and it was timeconsuming, though an interesting fight. However it only works, if people already know what they're supposed to do and decide to do it that way. Since it causes terrible lag and framerate drops to people, who don't fight it in this one particular way, I can't say I support the fight as it is. I don't however have suggestions on how to fix it, but it should be something people can do in multiple ways without it causing them to die to a lagfest. As a trial this fight was interesting. Maybe in the future regular players could test out the new dragon fight beforehand and give opinions and try to "break" it, if you don't return to the vanilla fight. I don't have strong opinions of this however.

I've been fortunate enough to not experience the accidental void deaths as others have.

Mapworld

WE feels like a must have for map world, so a great addition. It's just to have something nice and decorative in your builds, so it doesn't break the game.

Looking at the list on the information guide, can't think of any command I'd be missing.

The old maps are great to have back! Especially the very early ones that were solely placed on hand (or even those when it was still on survival!) have special value I'm sure. I'm overjoyed to have back my Iris Scott painting.

Portals

I don't mind the slow introduction of portals, but I think there should've been more information of distribution beforehand. The general idea of having "wilderness" areas without portal access is actually interesting and nothing against that, but the problem arises, when people expect an even distribution of portals based on previous revs. I think more information at the start on this would've been beneficial so people could've made informed choices. The portals introduced later on could also maybe have a little more wiggle room on how far they can be moved (with some caveat of still needing to be atleast X blocks away from another portal).

On other methods... I guess it would depend on the next rev mapsize. I think there could still be a way to let people have their own portals, since you can quite easily calculate the force fix location for netherside portals to match an overworld portal. However to iron out the details of who and where would get a portal like this would need some community wide discussion and if it would be for example bound to /place it would severely set back the timeframe for the portals.

For distribution, I think I most liked the one where they were in almost mirroring coordinates all over the map. It was just... fair. And I assumed the current rev's twelve portals would settle down like it. I don't mind that much either way as long as it's informed which way it will be.

Iron Golem Spawners

Since you don't actually need the very high end iron golem tiers, and are more of a show off thing, I think they're fine. The first tiers are easy enough to get and iron is plenty around to mine, so it's not too time consuming. I feel that the early tiers are way easier to get than vanilla, while it then at some point crosses over so that they're harder. I understand some people feel it should always be the same cost as it would be on vanilla, but that's not really taking into account the space needed and that at some point the render distance would become an issue and you'd actually need several alts to keep them all loaded. So as a compromise I think this is fine. The random drops from iron ore are a bit... finnicky though. At times I go ages without getting any and then I get two or three from the same cluster. I guess there might be some people out there with the bad luck I had last rev, but don't know if there's a way to fix it. One possibility would maybe be to exchange raw iron ore for the spawners instead to make it 100% fair. Though personally I like the souls.

The only change I'd make is to make the activation range to the spawners bigger, to allow more movement around. This would better reflect the Vanilla method.

The info seems fine, but I guess it would be better asked from a new player who doesn't know how we do them and why.

Custom Spawners

Custom spawners feel like a must for us, since the vanilla mechanics are limited on multiplayer. Removing them would cause a severe lack of materials you'd normally be able to get by making dark room spawners etc.

Because of the wither skeleton spawns being so much affected by the number of people in the nether, I agree there shouldn't be AFK:ble custom spwaners in the nether. And I guess because of the end grinder, there shouldn't be any in the end either.

Spawners needed in my opinion: shulker, creeper, slime, squid and witch. With the upped gold generation, I don't see a proper reason for a zig spawner, but I'm not against it either - could be in the overworld instead maybe? Maybe a special multiblazespawner too. The reason I think there should be a witch spawner too, is that a vanilla witchgrinder isn't viable on P.

If the map is going to be as big as current (or almost as big even), two of each seems fine, if they're fairly distributed. Or maybe there could be that one of each is findable on the overworld and the second one of each would be event prizes.

It's a fun addition! As long as it's used for stuff that are "nice and fun to have" instead of something needed for vanilla game mechanics, it's all good.

I mine more than average I think, so I get more of them. I think it might be interesting to also introduce them into mob kill loot tables, to broaden it a bit.

The traders are fun and I "need" ALL of the boxes. Something similar next rev would be fun. Some theme would be nice.

Custom Saddles

They're a fun addition.

I don't see any harm in having them, so sure.

I prefer them as trade items, so everyone has an equal chance at getting them.

Elytra

A full vanilla method doesn't really work of course, but this rev was maybe a bit too far from it. While personally I have nothing against some delay, I do think it was a bit too long this thime around. Also because of the mining requirement it's too hard for occasional players to get the wings, while in vanilla you wouldn't have that trouble. So something that makes it an obtainable item for everyone, regardless of how much they play and for those who choose not to really mine that much.

I only started to build roads further out of town after we got an elytra to use. With the mapsize it was just too big distances to fly around refilling material shulkers and repairing tools. On the underground rails, I don't think the eltyra affected as much as the giant map size.

I don't see much of anything else affecting positively road and rail building than a smaller map size at this point. While I love the bigger maps, I see the benefits of a smaller one to infrastructure. Short of prebuilding cardinal rails and roads, I don't see what you could do - and I think that's always a fun part for the players to do themselves. I think I talked with Didy before about how claims also prevent the building on them, and he has a point. So maybe some faster way of dealing with these early rev, if it seems the area was claimed but not used by someone on first day and hasn't returned since, even if it hasn't been the X amount of days. Would need some discussion I guess. I don't have a good solution.

Events

Weekly portal hunts (March-April) - What I noticed about the portal hunts, they were all introduced during my sleep time. While there's not as many European players (not sure what time they were for Aussies and the likes), it would've been nice for a couple of the portals to be released more on our timezones. So as such, everytime a portal hint came up, it was already found when I woke up in the morning... So didn't really get to experience this at all.

The Lost Slime Golems - This was a bit of a flop. It was truly a needle in the haystack kind of thing, with the map size being what it was. I managed to find one "legit" and the rest I found with the help of an "approximately here" map I got from Ruthless in exchange of helping him hunt for them. This was a tedious and not fun at all event unfortunately. Once I got the map, it changed and it got pleasant. I think everyone since then has found them with the help of said map. So I think that something like that should've been available from the start to engage people better.

The Archaeologists’ Guild Poetry Competition - I knew my poetry skills wouldn't bag me a win, but was still fun and easy to participate. And the prize was nice bling with seeing your poem "printed" with fancy colours.

The Meandering Maze - Not a fan of it as it is without any help. I did it just to get the "Friends" painting, since it's way too cute, but again I had help. After wandering there for what seemed eternity, I got the locations from a helpful person. After that it changed from "this is impoosible and I want to curl up and die" into something that was actually fun. Since the maze was made in the way that the coordinates didn't give you a clear route to the spots, but helped you know if you're even approximately advancing to the right location, I didn't mind anymore spending hours in the maze getting them.

Mob Mayhem! (PvE Arena Events) - I was only able to stay a round of the first one. It was the basic mob arena and was ok. Worth doing again. The one change I'd like to see is encourage more team work in some way, instead of just one person always remaining.

Something akin to the Nitwits event would be nice. I think the castles were great fun too. I don't currently have any well thought out ideas for events. What's the best way to come to you with event ideas with details, if something pops to mind?

The Spawn Building

I do like the spawn building this rev, and the museum that looks back at some builds from previous revs. It is easy to navigate through for those not wanting to hang around spawn, but has a lot to look for those that enjoy looking around spawn.

I think both changes listed were very beneficial, these were both issues that caused some general annoyance so am happy you decided to take action!

The Overworld Map

I much prefer having a bigger map and I like the size of the current map. As someone in town the likes to go big, I enjoy having the ability to have a big enough area for the town with some padding so that it doesn’t feel like we are being encroached on from other people’s builds (Especially when we’re a colony on a planet that is meant to be otherwise desolate J ). Aside from this, a bigger map means there’s always more to explore, even now when I start a branch mine I tend to run into another person’s branch or tunnel. So now that mining has become such a big part of gameplay again (with iron grinders and archaeologist’s guild trades) more map to explore and mine in is always a good thing.

Looking at the map there is an obvious lack of ocean (which I assume/hope won’t be a problem for a 1.13 map) and maybe a few more deserts would have been nice. I have noticed that there are a lot of quite small biomes that make up the map, aside from a few large icy biomes, so would like to see the map made out of a mixture of really big and small/moderate biomes.

Having spent some time on 1.13 chaos, the most exciting change in terrain is obviously in the oceans. While running across the chaos map I didn’t notice much change in the rest of the terrain and nothing stood out to me like the custom maps we have on PvE. If the terrain generator does get updated in time I would still like to see what you can come up with!

The Nether Map

I think the Nether map was really beautiful and unlike anything we’ve seen in the nether thus far. It was really exciting in the first few days to go exploring through in hopes of finding another new biome. I also enjoyed having all the different resources available in those biomes.

One thing that I do miss is finding random structures in the nether, I’m not sure how getting them onto a worldpainted map would go, but if it is possible I think it’s something that would make exploring the nether even more exciting.

I think the new nether mobs have been a great addition! Hunting for wither skeles used to be such a painful task when there was even one other person in there with you. Personally I’d love to see even more kinds of custom mobs roaming around, that also drop collectible loot items such as the Pixie Wand.

One thing that I think would be an interesting change with the custom mobs would be if they spawned only in certain areas or at a certain distance out in the nether, such as more difficult mobs with better drops spawning a certain distance out from spawn. This way players would have a greater incentive to explore and hunt further out with increased risk, while keeping spawn and roads to portals slightly safer for new and ill-equipped players.

The End

I was not a fan of this rev’s dragon fight, aside from the confusion and extreme lag from blazes during my first fight, I found that the fight didn’t increase in difficulty that much, just the length and tediousness of the battle did. I do appreciate the effort and welcome the decision of  introducing a new dragon fight, as someone who has played for a few revs now and has done the regular dragon fight so many times I was really happy about the idea of a new dragon fight. I do hope a new fight is created for next rev too (I think totemo has shared his idea about a phased dragon fight that I would love to see happen and could make for a very interesting and unique fight)

Personally I haven’t had any issues in the End and any that I was witness to (falling in the void from invalid spawn point) seem to have been resolved!

Mapworld

WorldEdit is a great addition and I would like to see it stay. There are a few commands I would see benefit in having:

-       /ci or /clear: It’d be nice to easily empty an inventory before going back to the overworld.

-       //cut: I’m not too sure why this isn’t already a useable command, //copy offers mostly the same function but sometimes you want that selection to be removed (for example, I was moving a 128x128 section from a 256x256 plot to 128x128 plot to better utilise the bigger plot. Rather than just //cut and //paste it I needed to copy/paste the selection, then select some air and //stack that over the rest of the bigger plot, was just a lot of extra steps that could have been done in 1)

-       Being able to use 0/air: Would have been handy in the case mentioned above, also if you wanted to remove the background of a map entirely.

I am really glad the older maps have been brought back and appreciate the effort from the padmins in doing so, I especially appreciate the extra effort gone to in getting some of the plots that had missed the final save of rev.

Portals

I think a 6 weeks slow release of the portals wasn’t ideal. Given that out of the 6 portals ready to be found from day 1 there were 3 in the NE, the distribution of them felt off for quite some time. I agree with other people’s feedback as well that since the portals were released so far into the rev, many players were already settled on their location that I don’t think the prize of finding a portal was as motivating as it usually is at the start of rev.

I was speaking with a friend about how portals are distributed, and how a lot of the feedback in wanting a smaller map stems from wanting towns to build closer together to encourage more collaboration and public infrastructure like rails and roads and they offered an interesting solution where we could hopefully have the best of both worlds. If we had portals placed closer in to spawn, not far out around the edges of the map, we would see the portal towns and players just naturally closer together. This would hopefully be more encouraging to build inter-town travel as the task wouldn’t seem as daunting, while still having a large enough map with lots of land ready to be explored and mined, and so that those who want to be hermits can go build out in the wilderness.

Iron Golem Spawners

I’m fine with the golem spawner costs, they haven’t felt too easy or too hard to get. Even though it was kind of an artificial change, I also like the higher golem soul cost along with more frequent golem soul drops, it sort of feels like you are making more progress when the drops are more frequent.

Personally I like the gradual increase as I find working up to a high level over time more engaging and enjoy having a goal to strive towards with them.

Custom Spawners

I am not against the use of custom spawners at all. I always see minecraft as a game where you have to make your own fun and also set your own difficulty to a degree. In the gamemode we play on, in most respects there isn’t a huge issue of one person having an advantage over another as we aren’t playing against each other. If one person thinks having a creeper spawner makes getting gunpowder for rockets too easy that’s their prerogative and they can happily avoid using the spawner and collect gunpowder in a different way, but another player might prefer to easily collect gunpowder from a spawner and that’s fine too, neither choice of each person has an impact on how the other person plays the game.

As for spawners in the nether, I’m also not too concerned about them. With the introduction of BeastMaster and the custom mob spawns, the severe lack of mob spawns hasn’t been as much of an issue.

I have absolutely loved the addition of custom ore drops and think it’s one of the best and most exciting gameplay changes that has been done in recent revs. It definitely makes me more attentive and just excited to mine for more than just diamonds past a certain point in the rev and I think I’d be a little sad if there wasn’t something in the same vein as this in the next rev, changed up a bit to fit the revs theme.

The drop rate feels right, in my opinion, nothing feel super easy to come by. It may be interesting to see more tiers of rareness added to the available drops, like super rare drops which happen very infrequently.

The addition of the fossil and amber trades have been a great addition as well, the rewards for the trades are mostly decorative which is nice as it doesn’t make high enchant items or hard to get materials too easy to come by. The items up for trade can have quite a high price tag which I like as it feels like obtaining the item is something you have to work up for which in itself can feel pretty rewarding, like when you finally get your hands on the final archaeologist’s box! I also have some thoughts about the use of decorative heads which I will add to the end of my post.

Custom Saddles

Love the custom saddles and would definitely want them to return again (with the new 1.13 mobs too if we’re on that!!), they are a great item to trade in for or win which is purely cosmetic.

I do prefer to have the option of trading for any of the saddles and not having some exclusively as a prize. This rev, in my opinion, the cost to trade for them is large enough that it still feels like a valuable prize to receive from events so I’m a fan of offering them as both trade item and prize.

Elytra

Elytra can be tricky, personally I enjoy there being some difficulty in obtaining them just from a gameplay perspective. If by ‘something close to vanilla’ you mean just finding them in chests in the End, I don’t think that would work out well as there’d most likely be some random person first in to claim them all.

One idea for how they could be implemented; have a more interesting, tough dragon fight (such as the fight I mentioned earlier that involves different phases ;) ) then from the fight drop an item that is needed to begin an adventurer’s guild style quest to get Elytra. This I think would be a fun and creative way for obtaining them, while maintaining a vanilla-ish way of finding them and isn’t too expensive. Could be a series of quests to be completed, each giving an item needed to find/make an Elytra.

I don’t think there is a huge correlation between Elytra being available and roads/rails being built this rev. I don’t think holding off Elytra for a certain amount of time really made people go out and build more roads than usual, as this time in the rev people are mainly trying to get their towns/builds started, amongst other things, anyway. For me, I know I just used my horse more until Elytra was available since I was trying to get Pico up and running, I wasn’t very concerned about building roads and rails.

Events

I will always feel that events throughout a rev are beneficial for the server. I think it helps players stick around as they are very fun and can offer a break from building, mining, etc. Depending on the kind of event too it can be a way to rally the community together.

I have been happy to see you branching out of the typical events we see on here with the poetry and sculpture contest. I wasn’t a huge fan of the Slime Golems as it really is just trying to find a needle in a haystack. I prefer the quests similar to this one from past revs (Trials of Sorrow, The Lost Temples, ALIENS, the guardian one I forget the name of, and probably more) that gave some information about where the next part of the quest would be, whether it was a riddle or puzzle you had to solve or obscured coordinates, it made it a lot more fun when you had something to go off of and try figure out. I enjoyed the maze, it was difficult and took time to beat but felt rewarding each time you found another shard. I wasn’t a huge fan of the mob arena, mainly because I went in expecting something pretty different since not a lot of information was giving about it before the day.

I have missed the admin hunts this rev! Also, All The Things, pls... I need to collect stuff for a reason again!

Other

Sugg Box and Blog Posts:

I think closing down the suggestion box to only posting what suggestions have been submitted was the wrong choice. For me, I always saw the suggestion box as a way for PAdmins to interact and communicate more openly with the players, and for the players to feel like they have a voice that is listened to, and (sometimes) a direct impact on the server. I know the suggestions are still being discussed during meetings, but having that feedback on why your suggestion was or wasn’t going to be implemented was a positive thing.

I have also missed the blog posts with fun statistics and information. Again, I think this was a great way for the PAdmins to communicate with the players and show off some recognition for the players that managed to score high in whatever weird stat was picked out!

Between these points, to me it has kinda felt like the PAdmins have secluded themselves a bit from interacting with the community as much as they did in the past.

Decorative heads:

As someone who loves decorating, I can never have enough decorative heads. I always appreciate any that are offered, but a part of me is never fully satisfied while I know how many are out there just waiting to be used! So with that, I would still love to see an area similar to in creative that is full of skulls, using something like easy signs to exchange some currency (diamonds, or perhaps a decorative skull token sold by a villager) for the skull/s of your choice.

-        

• Upvote 3

Hi @PPGOME,

Thanks for the feedback PP. I think you are slightly underestimating how quickly our maps need to be ready to go! We go through numerous different maps to find one that fits our needs, with the help of techs, and that process can take a bit of time to get right. Once a map is chosen, work has to be done to add any custom ore configurations, and get the map up and running on our test-server. Then we need to decide all of our pre-planned coordinates (such as portals) and spaces for any custom builds (such as for events), spawn needs to be situated and then the whole thing is opened up to staff for decoration and aesthetic fixes. It’s quite the endeavour, and we usually get started not long after this mid-rev feedback topic is closed. It will be a little different this time around, as we’ll need to wait for 1.13 to be properly released before we can do anything - so hopefully that will come along soon!

Your feedback on elytra is interesting given your experience playing on our chaos server on the pre-release builds of 1.13. My understanding from testing on pre3 is that only phantom membranes or combining elytra (or using mending) will repair them - is that your experience too?

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your feedback @buzzie71, I’m always interested to see what sorts of things you come up with. It sounds like you are currently in favor of more long-term events that can be done at a users own pace rather than arena-type events, would this be an accurate statement? If so, do you have suggestions for other events of this nature?

I want to touch a bit on your comments regarding Elytra - It sounds like you would be in favor of dropping the mining component of the cost and sticking only with a dragon fight to obtain. Would you be in favor of the more difficult dragon fight we have now, or should we return that to a more vanilla battle, something in between, or perhaps even harder.

Hi @SilentRecon,

We appreciate the time you have taken to add your feedback here. You mention the shulker / enderchest spots for any trading areas at spawn. That is something we will endeavour to improve upon next revision - we ran out of room to get them any closer this rev, but we’ll plan them in better next time!

In terms of the nether mobs, are there any obvious changes that could be made that would make them more appealing additions to the nether for you? We spent quite a bit of time trying to balance them in a way that made them challenging but not impossible for a single armoured player. We wanted the nether to be slightly more dangerous than the overworld but still traversable. Your point about ghasts being able to fly away and get lost, or hit you from outside render distance has been made by a few people in this thread and will certainly be taken on board during our rev prep discussions.

Adding the diamond cost for golem spawners (in terms of padmin head costs) to the PvE information guide is a good idea and we’ll look into adding that as soon as possible. In the meantime, it’s there in picture format at least!