Discussion: Welcome the the new forums

jcll

• 2 weeks later...

I for one think its funny redditors are commenting that the theme is plain and too white. As if reddit wasn't the plainest, whitest page on the internet. 

Yes, in some circumstances plain is nice, but in some it can also be a bit ugly and annoying to look at...

• Upvote 1

Yes, in some circumstances plain is nice, but in some it can also be a bit ugly and annoying to look at...

I guess. If we're open to editing the them in the future, I do like this one a lot:

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4378-nacht-skin/

We could have it be a bit like the old forums and the dirt-like background.

• Upvote 2

@jcll: If people come up with extra themes, can they become options in the "Change Theme" popup at bottom left (presuming they would need to be installed server-side), and can everyone choose their own individual theme from the options presented without affecting anyone else?

• Upvote 1

Totemo. Just played with that feature and YUP YUP YUP. We are going to have to see about running a contest or something to get added themes and people can choose what they like best.

• Upvote 2

Free dark skins, as a possible starting point:

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/category/111-dark-skins/?dosort=1&sort_key=file_updated&sort_order=desc&num=20&filter_key=free

Graphite looks suitably generic and the author has not placed any restrictions on its use:

A couple of others have been authored with some restrictions on changes:

• 2 weeks later...

Graphite looks suitably generic and the author has not placed any restrictions on its use:

Hey @jcll

Any news on this?  You seemed to get all excited about this and then... nothing.  At the time I actually signed up for a demo and got part way through making a "Reddit Public Classic" theme, but ran into the problem that I really don't know the first thing about CSS and am not particularly enthusiastic about learning it.

Do you need more web developer effort for this stuff?  Surely we can draw on our player base.  There must be several experienced web designers among them.  Do the forums allow us to give people permission to edit the CSS etc without granting them access to privileged discussion?  Or alternatively, does the licensing permit us to set up a sandbox where people could work on themes rather than forcing them to sign up for a demo every few days?

Here's a link to the last theme file I saved. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzf2TVOCqgpXWDg1YkRQNHBxXzQ/edit?usp=sharing

It's lacking in many ways - no background images, no customisation of comment editing colours, but it shows what I was aiming for approximately.

Hey @jcll

Any news on this?  You seemed to get all excited about this and then... nothing.  At the time I actually signed up for a demo and got part way through making a "Reddit Public Classic" theme, but ran into the problem that I really don't know the first thing about CSS and am not particularly enthusiastic about learning it.

Do you need more web developer effort for this stuff?  Surely we can draw on our player base.  There must be several experienced web designers among them.  Do the forums allow us to give people permission to edit the CSS etc without granting them access to privileged discussion?  Or alternatively, does the licensing permit us to set up a sandbox where people could work on themes rather than forcing them to sign up for a demo every few days?

Here's a link to the last theme file I saved. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzf2TVOCqgpXWDg1YkRQNHBxXzQ/edit?usp=sharing

It's lacking in many ways - no background images, no customisation of comment editing colours, but it shows what I was aiming for approximately.

Sadly no. We have not done anything with the current setup. But I have added that "Reddit Public classic" theme as a stopgap till we have figured out what we are going to do. You can select it with the change theme button at the bottom of the page.

• Upvote 1

Sadly no. We have not done anything with the current setup. But I have added that "Reddit Public classic" theme as a stopgap till we have figured out what we are going to do. You can select it with the change theme button at the bottom of the page.

I can only choose between IP Board and IP Board Mobile.

Hmmm.  Yeah, it's not really ready for prime-time.  The quote text boxes are probably the worst part of it - the colours are unreadable.  I'm sure it would be a quick fix for someone with a good amount of CSS experience.  Do we know of anyone?

That was easier than I thought. Here is the new file. (I also fixed the poll colors that I mentioned in the other thread)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3IaGpYmkla4TVJ6dkpnRms2alU/edit?usp=sharing

Awesome!  Do you think you could do a version with the old background images?  (Unless you already did that in the file you uploaded - I don't have an instance of these forums to look.  Invision or whatever their name is ended my 5 day trial after 2 days.  Bastards.)

Here it is now https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3IaGpYmkla4MEZlaXJzMjhQUUU/edit?usp=sharing

I changed the quotes and polls to a better background color now.

The one thing I don't like and I cant find is the little history thing right under the navigation (Forum, Members, Calender....). That part right now is grey and It should be white or green.