Small suggestion for ClanChat

GMMan

Note that what I'm outlining is based on certain assumptions. As I don't have access to any stats, what I suggest may be way out there and unnecessary.

I think the ClanChat system could be more accessible on C if there were a few public channels set up. Currently one has to create a channel and invite everyone or otherwise join a channel after being invited to use the system. I think it would be less work for everyone if there were a few public channels where each member of a roleplaying session only need to type one command to be joined into a channel. It'll also cut down on the number of orphaned channels if the roleplaying isn't between a close group of friends. One can type "/clanchat join roleplaying1" and be put on a public clanchat channel, and use clanchat as normal. After leaving for more than, say, 10 minutes, the player would be automatically unsubscribed. This way general players can quickly issue clanchat usage instructions instead of saying "type /clanchat and quit bugging us", and it'll be easier for roleplayers because they won't need as much coordination.

(Or tell people to PM each other if they're only two players...)

• Upvote 2

I could possibly add a flag that the owner could set that would allow anyone to join the channel (without an invite), but as to making it more complicated than that, seems like it's a lot of work for little reward.

As to the lag, everything causes more lag to the server :p But CC doesn't lag it noticably.

• Upvote 3

Guest Former Staff

I like this idea a lot GMMan. Segadude recently brought up a very similar suggestion and I can see it working well particularly from a fresh revision on C as currently there are a large number of channels already established. In addition to having established channels, we can look into having more encouragement to use the channels through things like server messages.

A few people have raised some concerns on the archived forum about using clanchat, in particular with some of the commands. How are you all experiencing clanchat?

I like this idea a lot GMMan. Segadude recently brought up a very similar suggestion and I can see it working well particularly from a fresh revision on C as currently there are a large number of channels already established. In addition to having established channels, we can look into having more encouragement to use the channels through things like server messages.

A few people have raised some concerns on the archived forum about using clanchat, in particular with some of the commands. How are you all experiencing clanchat?

It confuses the hell out of me - and not just me; I estimate that 1/4 messages I've read in clanchat are people typing in the wrong one, or using the wrong command, or asking how to use clanchat commands.

Maybe it is the best system available, but it's not very good; the commands are arcane, and it is very difficult to hold conversations and respond in several channels.

Edited by Herbrin3

I'd suggest shorthands for typing on different channels: instead of having to type out the full channel name (no tab-complete, remember?), assign each channel to a number, in the order they were subscribed to, so only the number needs to be entered to switch channels. Of course, it's more work for the server to keep track of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

GMM mentioned something about clanchat that's been bugging me in the back of my mind; what happens to orphaned channels?  I assume that there are some channels that are only used for a short time, and then abandoned.  I'm the type of miner who hates leaving 1 block spaces sealed up underground, so the idea of channel names being used up forever through one use, even if left untouched, bugs me.  Maybe have any channels unused for, say, a week, be automatically deleted.

I'm also on board with the idea of public channels, we could definitely use that.  I assume that staff will have channel owner permissions of the public channels, so that if anyone joins just to be abusive, people can report it, a mod can join, and kick that person out of the channel (and in most such cases, they'll probably then do something to get them kicked off the server entirely).  Would there be a way to keep someone like that from rejoining the channel?  Is there a "channel block/ban" command?  I don't remember.

• Upvote 2

GMM mentioned something about clanchat that's been bugging me in the back of my mind; what happens to orphaned channels?  I assume that there are some channels that are only used for a short time, and then abandoned.  I'm the type of miner who hates leaving 1 block spaces sealed up underground, so the idea of channel names being used up forever through one use, even if left untouched, bugs me.  Maybe have any channels unused for, say, a week, be automatically deleted.

I'm also on board with the idea of public channels, we could definitely use that.  I assume that staff will have channel owner permissions of the public channels, so that if anyone joins just to be abusive, people can report it, a mod can join, and kick that person out of the channel (and in most such cases, they'll probably then do something to get them kicked off the server entirely).  Would there be a way to keep someone like that from rejoining the channel?  Is there a "channel block/ban" command?  I don't remember.

I think someone said that once everyone has left a channel the channel is deleted. Not positive though.

Definitely would like public channels. It would make things like #spleef and #trade much easier.

I think someone said that once everyone has left a channel the channel is deleted. Not positive though.

Definitely would like public channels. It would make things like #spleef and #trade much easier.

That wouldn't work really well because then anytime everybody from an actual clan left the server the wanted to use the channel again, next time one of the clan members log back into the server they would have to recreate the channel, and then have to invite everyone back else in the channel, then wait for them to accept invites.

That wouldn't work really well because then anytime everybody from an actual clan left the server the wanted to use the channel again, next time one of the clan members log back into the server they would have to recreate the channel, and then have to invite everyone back else in the channel, then wait for them to accept invites.

I meant when the last person has /clanchat leave <channel>'d the channel. Not left the server. Logging back in wouldn't matter to them because they had already left the channel.

I meant when the last person has /clanchat leave <channel>'d the channel. Not left the server. Logging back in wouldn't matter to them because they had already left the channel.

Negative. The channel remains even after everyone has left (ie, its empty). There is a bug open on Github reguarding this (I just tested a few things/opened it) https://github.com/NerdNu/NerdBugs/issues/117