Question Regarding Old Posts

Four_Down

I spent some time last night going through old threads just reading comments and reminicing of the good times at Nerd. I ended up going through a bunch of old Survival threads from when we had to deal with the cretin that was MrLoud and I noticed something odd. In a lot of the threads, there were blatant gaps where comments had been removed and any replies or other traces to those comments had also been removed, or edited without leaving any kind of evidence of it. These comments often appeared to be from staff members, some of whom are still staff now.

I'm pretty confused - Perhaps I'm being silly, but I don't seem to have the ability to delete (or even edit) my own comments that I've made, so what gives? Have certain staff members gone through old forum threads and used their mod powers to remove comments to save face? Is there some sort of public moderation log available to monitor that sort of stuff?

Great timing! I just logged in to ask something similar. If there's a function to delete user comments or clear an account with a forum ban I'd like to know about it. I'm currently clearing out old social media accounts. So can a forum admin please completely obliterate me?

Going to follow Four's example and indulge in some S drama nostalgia in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

I'm not aware of people going through old threads and deleting/hiding posts but would like to look into it. Do you have a specific thread you'd like me to look into?

Hidden posts (the most common moderation action) are hidden from everyone except moderators. Right after the "Posted [DATE]" at the top of a post it will display which moderator hid it, when, and the reason entered.

Deleted comments are listed in the "Moderation history" of a thread but their contents is no longer available as far as I am aware. Unfortunately you are not prompted to record a reason for deleting a comment. Moderators are not able to delete posts, only admins have that access.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:52 PM, pez252 said:

I'm not aware of people going through old threads and deleting/hiding posts but would like to look into it. Do you have a specific thread you'd like me to look into?

Hidden posts (the most common moderation action) are hidden from everyone except moderators. Right after the "Posted [DATE]" at the top of a post it will display which moderator hid it, when, and the reason entered.

Deleted comments are listed in the "Moderation history" of a thread but their contents is no longer available as far as I am aware. Unfortunately you are not prompted to record a reason for deleting a comment. Moderators are not able to delete posts, only admins have that access.

Can admins delete whole accounts? Please delete mine. I'm even more keen after seeing the cringier aspects of some of those discussions, although they are also quite funny. I wouldn't be surprised if staff acted on that urge already with individual comments, or even if that involved an admin acting for them. 

If there's no function for account removal, you should really think seriously about why not, It's a standard feature across social media nowadays. It's particularly important with forums like this one that people will have started to use in their early to mid teens.

3 hours ago, Ridiculous said:

Can admins delete whole accounts? Please delete mine. I'm even more keen after seeing the cringier aspects of some of those discussions, although they are also quite funny. I wouldn't be surprised if staff acted on that urge already with individual comments, or even if that involved an admin acting for them. 

If there's no function for account removal, you should really think seriously about why not, It's a standard feature across social media nowadays. It's particularly important with forums like this one that people will have started to use in their early to mid teens.

Everyone has the ability to edit their own posts, I don't see why anything further is needed, to be honest. A forum is defined by its content - it's frustrating to read an old thread only to find parts are missing and unlike social media, people usually don't (and really shouldn't) have any personal information included in their posts. Everyone who grew up using the internet likely has posted some cringe-worthy stuff at some point, but unless that person's privacy is genuinely threatened, I don't see that as a good reason for their account to be nuked.