Rev 23 late rev feedback

Cujobear

A thought about molons at spawn:

Maybe not at first, but introduce them a month or two in?  I definitely agree that they cheapen the experience, but late in the rev new players are pretty dependent on the kindness of strangers to find food within 1000 blocks of spawn.  I feel we might as well make it official.

As many have pointed out in this thread, SMP isn't single player.  It weirds the world.

Do you think that this map size (7kx7k) was good? Should it be bigger, smaller or similar?

We could probably stand to try a smaller map next rev.

This rev we used vanilla map generation due to 1.13 offering new generation and biomes, and also due to custom terrain tools not being updated. Were you happy with the use of a vanilla seed? Would you like to see a return to custom terrain given the tools are updated?

I much preferred the custom generation. Vanilla worldgen is still pretty boring.

How did you feel about the custom generated map this revision? Would you like to see a custom nether again?

I have always preferred a custom nether.

Were the villagers with custom trades in the Nether a positive addition?

Yes, though the pricing seemed OP.

How did you feel about the custom generated End this rev? Any kind of generation you’d like to see?

Geographically, I prefer the vanilla end. I think the dig-em-up build materials could be executed a little better by scattering "asteroids" of materials throughout the Void. The abundance of concrete powder felt too OP this rev.

How did you feel about having ores generated in the End that were plumped but didn’t have custom drops? How was the ore distribution?

I echo others' sentiments that ores were too abundant.

Were the villagers with custom trades in the End a positive addition?

My thoughts are the same as for the Nether villagers.

Did you enjoy having free range shulkers instead of a shulker spawner?

Unfortunately no. I was keen on the idea at first but the spawning issues Silver mentioned kind of ruined the excitement. Maybe bring back Shulker spawners but nerf them considerably? I've suggested this the last two revs, IIRC; they're useful but way too fast.

Do you have any other ideas you have for methods of obtaining Elytra?

Take the best of both worlds and have it available in the spawn shop (for a pretty penny) *and* by killing the dragon?

How do you feel about the inclusion of custom spawners in the map? Would you prefer to have, or not have them?

I prefer them, especially for Creepers and Shulkers.

Are there any events you particularly enjoyed this revision so far?

NITWITS though I haven't started :x Overall I don't like events that feel tedious, and practically all of them did this rev. Mindlessly chopping tree after tree after tree and staring at the live map looking for ovals until your eyes go bloodshot are more tests of persistence than anything else, and I certainly don't have much persistence unless I'm challenged or presented with a novel task.

Is there any event past or present that you’d like to see return in Revision 23?

Some sort of elytra challenge

Do you enjoy having special items that you may not be able to get in vanilla as a prize for completing events? (Such as higher level enchanted items, custom skulls)

Yes, especially enchantments like Unbreaking V, or a sword with Sharpness + Bane + Smite V.

In the past there has been end of rev events such as ending the world in Chaos and a Zombie Apocalypse, would you like to see the return of something like this? Do you have any other ideas for how to celebrate the end of rev?

SmartMobs!

Only mentioning things I found to be of note. 

The Spawn Building

I like this style of spawn. Good work!

The Overworld

Good size. Please return to using custom generation. This revision's terrain was boring. 

The Nether

Excellent nether. Loved the design. 

The End

Again, excellent. 

Mapworld

Please enable the printer. I'd love to make maps, but I have no desire to spend literal days on something complex. 

Portals

No worries here.

Custom Drops from Ore, Mobs, Loot chests and Sugarcane

All good, expand on these and the item shops. 

Overall- I hope 1.14 comes soon so we can update, this rev and the last have gone on too long. 

Feedback will be open for 2 weeks, with the following dates for when you can expect responses and the topic to close:

• 10th June: First round of responses to feedback

• 16th June: Second round of responses

• 19th June: Topic closed to new responses

Are we getting feedback or are we waiting until 1.14 for that, too?

The Spawn Building

• Were exits from spawn laid out clearly? While Spawn was absolutely beautiful this rev (kudos to kumquatmay!), I felt like the layout was a little confusing for newer players. I'd say the exits, as well as the paths leading to them, should be a bit more clearly marked. There should also be 4 exits (N-S-E-W) instead of just 3.

• Is there anything you would like to see done differently with Spawn in Rev 24? In addition to what I mentioned above, I thought the portal and rail station were a bit too out of the way this time around and I would prefer to have them in a more central location.

The Overworld

• Do you think that this map size (7kx7k) was good? Should it be bigger, smaller or similar? Honestly, I'd be cool with a smaller map for a change, simply because I kinda missed everyone being so close together instead of spread out, plus it's kinda cool looking at past small maps and seeing how dense everything is (Rev 16 comes to mind). I'd be willing to shrink the map down to a 5k square.

• This rev we used vanilla map generation due to 1.13 offering new generation and biomes, and also due to custom terrain tools not being updated. Were you happy with the use of a vanilla seed? Would you like to see a return to custom terrain given the tools are updated? Vanilla terrain was kinda cool to see again, but I do miss the custom terrain/biomes and would like to see those return soon.

• Were any biomes lacking or too abundant this revision? Now that the "newness" of 1.13 is sorta wearing off, I think we could stand to see a little less ocean next rev.

• How did you find the distribution of ores this revision? Seemed pretty fine to me.

The Nether

This revision we had a custom Nether created by totemo, it featured different biomes designed to provide areas for bulk mining resources like concrete powder and terracotta. We again included custom mobs in the nether.

• How did you feel about the custom generated map this revision? Would you like to see a custom nether again? The custom Nether was awesome and I vastly prefer it to the regular vanilla nether. I think my only complaint is that it wasn't as customized as last rev's Nether. Maybe tone down or remove the nether mineshafts as well. (I hate cave spiders)

• How did you feel about the custom mobs this revision? They were good, but I wouldn't mind seeing more custom mobs.

• How was the distribution of quartz and glowstone? Seemed fine to me, glowstone was plentiful in the "glowing forests" and quartz was reasonably common underground.

• Were the villagers with custom trades in the Nether a positive addition? They seemed fine, though I'll admit I didn't use them too much, mainly because I forgot about them.

The End

This revision we had a custom generated End created by totemo. It featured different biomes (also designed to provide bulk mining of resources like the Nether) and custom structures with the idea that the End is a cold, dry place.

We also had a new version of the dragon fight created by bermudalocket. This fight included 4 phases of dragon and mob fighting goodness, with Elytra dropping from completing the fight.

Another change we implemented was having shulkers spawning across the end instead of having a shulker spawner.

• Generation:

• How did you feel about the custom generated End this rev? Any kind of generation you’d like to see? I loved having the custom End this revision! I loved that I could explore the end on foot and not have to worry about falling into the void (which normally terrifies me). I realize the major down side of having no void was not being able to have a standard End grinder, so maybe bring back some void or buff the endermen spawners. Would also like to see blue ice in the ice spikes biomes in the End. Also tone down or remove the mineshafts here as well. (I REALLY hate cave spiders)

• How did you feel about having ores generated in the End that were plumped but didn’t have custom drops? How was the ore distribution? As someone who completed All the Things, I am certainly not gonna complain about the amount of ore in the End this rev. I thought having lots of ore without the custom drops was a fair trade-off, but perhaps we could also make things more difficult by adding harder mobs.

• Were the villagers with custom trades in the End a positive addition? Again, they seemed fine but I often forgot about them.

• Dragon Fight

• How did you feel about bermuda’s NerdyDragon fight? Was it too easy/difficult/just right in your opinion? The dragon fight was awesome and I hope we keep it. It wasn't too difficult (though I personally wouldn't try to solo it), but it was still a challenge and was overall way more intuitive than the vanilla fight.

• Any other suggestions you’d like to share for the fight? Maybe make an announcement in chat whenever the dragon is spawned to warn people that the End isn't safe (or encourage people to join in on the fight).

• Did you like having the leaderboard available for the dragon fights? I thought it was really cool how it encouraged people to try and speedrun the fight and go for personal bests.

• Shulkers and other mobs

• Did you enjoy having free range shulkers instead of a shulker spawner? Having the shulkers free-range seemed fine, it made shells valuable without making them finite.

• How did you feel about the other mobs that appeared in the end? I would like to see custom mobs in the End similar to how we have custom mobs in the Nether, rather than just plain old witches, husks, and strays. It would make mining the abundant ores in the End more of a challenge since the caves felt a bit too safe this rev. Could also have some custom end mobs drop pearls to make up for not having a standard End grinder.

Elytra

After feedback last rev we decided to have the Elytra be obtainable as a drop from the custom dragon fight.

• How did you feel about the method of obtaining Elytra this revision? Was receiving it as a drop from the custom dragon fight enough effort for it? Seemed ok to me.

• Do you have any other ideas you have for methods of obtaining Elytra? Nope, the current method worked fine.

Mapworld

• Are there any additions you’d like to see in Mapworld next revision? Not off the top of my head.

Portals

This revision we had claimable 8 portals across the map, all available from day 1 of the revision.

• Did you feel that the number and distribution of portals this rev was good? Do you prefer having all portals available from day 1 of the revision? 8 portals, 4 on the cardinals and 4 on the diagonals, seems like the perfect number and distribution to me. Having them available day 1 seemed fine, too.

• Do you have any ideas for how portals should be implemented next rev? Not really.

Iron Golem Spawners

Iron Golem Spawner costs remained the same this revision, except you were able to upgrade to a new level individually instead of needing to upgrade all 4 spawners to the same level first.

• Do you feel that the cost of an iron golem spawner was fair? Seemed reasonable to me, though I never got to upgrade my spawners past level 1 since I had to hoard the rest for All the Things.

• How did you feel about being able to upgrade spawners individually as opposed to upgrading each spawner to the same level first? Seemed fine to me.

• Perhaps something about keeping our system the same in 1.14 after iron golems spawning is nerfed in vanilla Might change the costs of spawners to reflect the costs of building an iron grinder in 1.14, like needing various workstations.

Custom Spawners

This revision we had a Creeper, Squid and Slime spawner, all available to be found from the first day of the revision.

• How do you feel about the inclusion of custom spawners in the map? Would you prefer to have, or not have them? Custom spawners are awesome. Keep 'em.

• Which custom spawners do you think are particularly useful in a multiplayer setting, if any? Creeper, slime, and squid are probably the main ones, but I wouldn't mind seeing additional spawners like the witch spawner brought back.

This revision we continued the use of custom drops from ores, but also expanded on the methods of obtaining them to include dropping from some mobs, in loot chests, rewards from events and new blocks (sugarcane)

• How did you feel about the addition of drops from mobs, loot chests and sugarcane this revision? Would you like to see drops coming from other sources in the future? I thought it was a great addition, and I wouldn't mind seeing other sources for them in the future.

• How do you feel about the rates of custom drops dropping, too frequent or too rare? They seemed fine to me for the most part.

• Do you have any ideas for new ways to obtain custom drops? Not at the moment.

• How have the custom drop trades been so far this rev? Any kinds of trades you’d like to see in the future? They seemed fine, though I felt that Pete's boxes were a little too cheap.

Custom Saddles

• Have you enjoyed the custom horse saddles available to trade this revision? Yes.

• Would you like to see them return for next revision? Yes.

• If so, do you prefer them as trade items, prizes, or some mixture of both? Mixture seems somewhat fine to me.

Events

Events so far this revision:

• Valentines Day

• St. Patrick’s Day

• Easter Egg Hunt

• All the Things

• Collections at Spawn (gathering materials to unlock spawn trades)

• Are there any events you particularly enjoyed this revision so far? All the Things was a huge challenge, and pretty much became my main thing for about 2 months of the rev, but it was great and kept me engaged and I'm so glad to have finally completed it! Still, wait awhile before doing it again, I like having time to actually build during the rev. The St. Patrick's Day event was also really fun with the pots of gold, and I really enjoyed the egg hunt (and map-wide scavenger hunts in general).

• Is there any event past or present that you’d like to see return in Revision 23? I've always really enjoyed the sign-hunt style quests (NITWITS, the sentinels, Aliens, etc.) and I hope to see many more of those in the future, especially the progressive ones where each object gives you a clue to the next location that you have to solve.

• Have you any new event ideas that you’d like to share? Not really.

• Do you enjoy having special items that you may not be able to get in vanilla as a prize for completing events? (Such as higher level enchanted items, custom skulls) Yes, absolutely.

• Do you have any ideas for events you’d like to see in the future? Not really.

End of Rev

In the past there has been end of rev events such as ending the world in Chaos and a Zombie Apocalypse, would you like to see the return of something like this? Do you have any other ideas for how to celebrate the end of rev? Chaos and zombie apocalypse were both really fun and I would love to see them return.

Apologies for not posting any responses on the 16th. We had seen your feedback but felt that it would be best to wait for more to respond before making another post.

Thanks for all your feedback! We’ve read through every post and are continuing to discuss the comments you have made. Here’s our responses to all the feedback we’ve been given so far. If you feel like you have a great idea that we missed, don’t be afraid to send it to one of the team directly; We’re always happy to get input from you, the players, on how to improve the server!

The Spawn Building

Your general feedback seems to be that while this rev’s spawn was very pretty it was too big and complex for most people. For the next spawn we’re working on a simpler layout as well as being generally smaller. There are ongoing discussions around the issue of melons at spawn and balancing the need for new players to find food and the potential abuse with the new villager mechanics. We are working on a way to find a good balance to handle the need for new players to not starve when they join, but not be exploitable in the long term.

The Overworld

Generally, people seem happy with the current map size, with some asking for a little smaller. We’ll probably stick to the current size as it seems to work well. While some were happy with the vanilla generation others wanted more variance and custom biomes. The amount of biomes and ores in the map seems about right based on your feedback, so we’ll aim for similar next rev. Phantoms are clearly an enemy of many of you, so we’ll look into ways of toning them down a little.

The Nether

It seems most people enjoyed the custom nether and the mobs within. We’ll continue to tinker with this and try and adjust the general difficulty of the nether to balance usability and enjoyment. The villagers, while appreciated, didn’t seem to be a massive hit so we may reconsider them for next rev.

The End

Overall you seemed to enjoy the changes to the end, but some would appreciate the end to feel a little more vanilla. We’re also looking at the ores and additional blocks to see if they can become more balanced for risk to reward. We recognise that the singular dragon egg is annoying, so we’ll see if adjustments can be made so more than one drops per rev.

Elytra

You all seemed to love the NerdyDragon fight and the guaranteed elytra drop. We will investigate alternative methods for gaining elytra for those that don’t want to fight the dragon but for the moment most people seem happy to keep them dragon-only.

Mapworld

Generally, mapworld appears to be working well, issues with printers aside (This is, I believe, an issue with NCP). We'll roll the current mapworld over into next rev.

Portals

9 portals total seems to be around the right amount based on your feedback, but some have suggested fewer might be an interesting change. Some of you are calling for everyone to be able to make portals too. We’re thinking hard on this, as currently portals do act as hubs within the server away from spawn and the limited portal numbers appear to lead to more concentrated infrastructure linking towns and cities.

Iron Golem Spawners

You all seem happy with the current iron spawner costs and mechanics so we’ll leave them roughy the same. We may add some additional costs in line with the new requirements for villages in 1.14 to keep it close to vanilla.

Custom Spawners

You appear to like the current set of custom spawners, with the creeper spawner seen by some as unnecessary. The lack of a shulker spawner was not an issue for most people but we could look into a slow spawning one to ensure there is a slow but consistent supply. From your feedback it seems the enderman spawner could do with a speed boost, however. As always there is a balance to be made between no custom spawners and custom spawners for all the mobs, so we’ll work on this for next rev.

You seemed to enjoy the custom drops and the trades in spawn. The items not stacking and filling up your inventory while mining did annoy those not overly interested in trading so we’ll work on making them take up less storage space.

Custom Saddles

Those of you that used the traders at spawn appreciated them, so we’re looking into possible additions to make them more appealing to the rest of the server.

Events

We have heard your frustrations on the events re-used from previous revs, but also those of you that appreciate the events we have run so far this rev. We’re always trying to think of new events to run and if you have ideas don’t be afraid to pitch them to us!

End of Rev

Almost all of you want some kind of end-of-rev event so we’ll try and organise this within the last few weeks.

Other

We’ll look into potentially enabling TNT in a very limited manner for next rev. Cujobear touched on this in her first response but we are concerned with grief and the effect of TNT on regions.

Hopefully next rev we'll start doing blog posts on some sort of schedule. The new site has functionality for this so it'll be fun to play around and see what we can do. I've recently responded to suggestion-box suggestions and I'm checking them whenever I remember so if you have an idea don't be afraid to submit it!

Thank you again for all the feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to tell us what we did well this rev and what we can improve upon. We’ll leave the post open until evening America time for anyone who wants to add their own feedback that hasn’t already done so.

-       The PAdmins

On 6/5/2019 at 10:43 PM, Cujobear said:

The Spawn Building

• Were exits from spawn laid out clearly? The exits were fairly easy to find IMO, but half the cardinal roads being cut off by water didn't help (I'm one to talk *cough* airship rev *cough*) That stuff doesn't bother me though

• Is there anything you would like to see done differently with Spawn in Rev 24? Something grandiose again

The Overworld

• Do you think that this map size (7kx7k) was good? Should it be bigger, smaller or similar? Smaller!

• This rev we used vanilla map generation due to 1.13 offering new generation and biomes, and also due to custom terrain tools not being updated. Were you happy with the use of a vanilla seed? Would you like to see a return to custom terrain given the tools are updated? I would prefer custom generation or painting now that 1.13 is boring lol

• Were any biomes lacking or too abundant this revision? This rev seemed fine, but tone down the ocean for next

• How did you find the distribution of ores this revision? Was fine iirc

The Nether

This revision we had a custom Nether created by totemo, it featured different biomes designed to provide areas for bulk mining resources like concrete powder and terracotta. We again included custom mobs in the nether.

• How did you feel about the custom generated map this revision? Would you like to see a custom nether again? Nether was fine

• How did you feel about the custom mobs this revision? Lul rum

• How was the distribution of quartz and glowstone? I didn't mine these this rev

• Were the villagers with custom trades in the Nether a positive addition? Nah, made it too cheap to get the materials they offered, I wouldn't like to see them come back. (too heavy of a villager reliance this rev too)

The End

This revision we had a custom generated End created by totemo. It featured different biomes (also designed to provide bulk mining of resources like the Nether) and custom structures with the idea that the End is a cold, dry place.

We also had a new version of the dragon fight created by bermudalocket. This fight included 4 phases of dragon and mob fighting goodness, with Elytra dropping from completing the fight.

Another change we implemented was having shulkers spawning across the end instead of having a shulker spawner.

• Generation:

• How did you feel about the custom generated End this rev? Any kind of generation you’d like to see? Looked fine, no danger asides the dragon. It also made end grinders literally impossible to make. I'd prefer the end islands return, but also see them be custom. A mix of vanilla, and what we got this rev.

• How did you feel about having ores generated in the End that were plumped but didn’t have custom drops? How was the ore distribution? First point was fine. Second; WAY too much ores, holy crap. Tone it down a lot more, it's almost effortless

• Were the villagers with custom trades in the End a positive addition? Same with nether villagers; no, they aren't needed, they trivialize what they offer.

• Dragon Fight

• How did you feel about bermuda’s NerdyDragon fight? Was it too easy/difficult/just right in your opinion? Cool shit, I liked it the way it is.

• Any other suggestions you’d like to share for the fight? No opinion

• Did you like having the leaderboard available for the dragon fights? I'm not competitive, doesn't matter to me

• Shulkers and other mobs

• Did you enjoy having free range shulkers instead of a shulker spawner?  Not really? It forced people to make sky farms (which would also kill the endgrinder if there was one)

• How did you feel about the other mobs that appeared in the end? I didn't like the additional mobs

Elytra

After feedback last rev we decided to have the Elytra be obtainable as a drop from the custom dragon fight.

• How did you feel about the method of obtaining Elytra this revision? Was receiving it as a drop from the custom dragon fight enough effort for it?  Asides the complete lack of a way to get them for absurdly long into the start of the rev, I'm pleased with the effort involved with the dragon fight.

• Do you have any other ideas you have for methods of obtaining Elytra? N/a

Mapworld

• Are there any additions you’d like to see in Mapworld next revision? N/a

Portals

This revision we had claimable 8 portals across the map, all available from day 1 of the revision.

• Did you feel that the number and distribution of portals this rev was good? Do you prefer having all portals available from day 1 of the revision? Sure it was fine, I'd maybe like to see portals having regions around them automatically so a bunch of jackasses don't grief claims.

• Do you have any ideas for how portals should be implemented next rev? Bring back the clocks 😈

Iron Golem Spawners

Iron Golem Spawner costs remained the same this revision, except you were able to upgrade to a new level individually instead of needing to upgrade all 4 spawners to the same level first.

• Do you feel that the cost of an iron golem spawner was fair? N/a

• How did you feel about being able to upgrade spawners individually as opposed to upgrading each spawner to the same level first? N/a

• Perhaps something about keeping our system the same in 1.14 after iron golems spawning is nerfed in vanilla N/a

Custom Spawners

This revision we had a Creeper, Squid and Slime spawner, all available to be found from the first day of the revision.

• How do you feel about the inclusion of custom spawners in the map? Would you prefer to have, or not have them? Get rid of the useless ones, keep the useful ones.

• Which custom spawners do you think are particularly useful in a multiplayer setting, if any? Shulker, squid, creeper as of 1.13

This revision we continued the use of custom drops from ores, but also expanded on the methods of obtaining them to include dropping from some mobs, in loot chests, rewards from events and new blocks (sugarcane)

• How did you feel about the addition of drops from mobs, loot chests and sugarcane this revision? Would you like to see drops coming from other sources in the future? It's fine, but can all the types of drops be stackable next time?

• How do you feel about the rates of custom drops dropping, too frequent or too rare? Maybe have their rarity reflect their.... rarity. It felt like I got rare ones more than common most times.

• Do you have any ideas for new ways to obtain custom drops? Specifically drowning villagers 😈

• How have the custom drop trades been so far this rev? Any kinds of trades you’d like to see in the future? More trades than saddles I guess? It feels like the potential was severely under-utilized

Custom Saddles

• Have you enjoyed the custom horse saddles available to trade this revision? Not really? That stuff is disgustingly expensive to get, unless you mine 24/7 or have people who do it for you. Reduce the prices please.

• Would you like to see them return for next revision? At a lower price point

• If so, do you prefer them as trade items, prizes, or some mixture of both? Both I guess? I don't know.

Events

Events so far this revision:

• Valentines Day Fun, but same as last X times.

• St. Patrick’s Day Fun, but same as last X times.

• Easter Egg Hunt Didn't participate, but seemed like a normal scavenger hunt

• All the Things Fun, but same as last time.

• Collections at Spawn (gathering materials to unlock spawn trades) I liked this, but don't overuse it.

• Are there any events you particularly enjoyed this revision so far?

• Is there any event past or present that you’d like to see return in Revision 23?

• Have you any new event ideas that you’d like to share?

• Do you enjoy having special items that you may not be able to get in vanilla as a prize for completing events? (Such as higher level enchanted items, custom skulls)

• Do you have any ideas for events you’d like to see in the future?

End of Rev

In the past there has been end of rev events such as ending the world in Chaos and a Zombie Apocalypse, would you like to see the return of something like this? Do you have any other ideas for how to celebrate the end of rev? I don't like end of rev events

• Like 1