Enchantism plugin

uni0

The Enchantism plugin I think was mentioned in the mumble meeting but I wanted to gather more feedback from community to hopefully help s admins in deciding on whether to implement it or not.

Enchantism, a plugin developed by our fellow in-house resident Smiler100, allows choosing whatever enchantment you want on the enchanting table. The interface looks like this:

0M4wMNP.jpg

To enchant you put your item in the enchanting table, and the applicable enchants appear, letting you choose the one you want. It's one enchant per lvl30. So far the impression I've gotten from different people I've talked to has been positive.

A lot of people, including myself, have spent way too much time in mindless grinding and having something like this would help reduce the waste of life that grinding is.

This does not mean the game will get drastically easier all of a sudden. People still need to mine as usual, gather all potion materials, brew them, mine ton of iron for anvils, make a grinder, and still spend a good amount grinding for enchantments and anvil usage.

I remember the no-potion-no-enchanting days. All you did was mine iron or dia, make armor and go out pvping. There was no grinder necessary, no potions, no enchanting, no anvils, nothing. People still had a lot of fun and had stuff to do. Where are we today? The game has considerably gotten more sophisticated and it's no secret Mojang has screwed up the PVPing/enchanting part of the game.

Should we blindly defend vanilla regardless of the obvious issues, regardless of wasting people's time in a way that's not reasonable?

I remember back in rev12 in survival spending 1:15 - 1:30 hours for a single piece of armor. Six hours for a complete set. Then the armor could be gone in a 3 min fight. That's ridiculous. Things have gotten a lot better since then, but it's still a drag.

Lets keep an open mind about this and discuss, I'd really like to see this on survival. If you would like to see this speak up, we need to get feedback. If you'd hate it please explain why, perhaps we can compromise.

Techs: can you take a look and give feedback on how viable this is and what it'll take to get it 'passed'?

Any questions or suggestions to improve plugin are welcomed. Lets get ball rolling and get this working at start of new rev22!

• Upvote 1

I pretty much agree with everything Uni said. From the enchanting side of PvPing, I think this a step in the right direction.

To thow in my 2 cents, I think improving the survival aspect is much more important than sticking to pure vanilla(we hardly do that as it is, only strive for it). If we're adding this feature, I'd say remove the /unenchant command, as you'll be getting exactly the enchants you want.

I disagree. If you push the wrong button, why not be able to unenchant it? I feel at the point where you're enchanting everything based on what you want, there's simply no reason to remove /unenchant. If we didn't have it, I wouldn't be pushing for it, but as we do, I don't feel the need to remove it.

I pretty much agree with everything Uni said. From the enchanting side of PvPing, I think this a step in the right direction.

I disagree. If you push the wrong button, why not be able to unenchant it? I feel at the point where you're enchanting everything based on what you want, there's simply no reason to remove /unenchant. If we didn't have it, I wouldn't be pushing for it, but as we do, I don't feel the need to remove it.

The blaze powder next to the item being enchanted in the image is a button that removes all enchants on an item for free. Like /unenchant, but with a button instead of a command.

I'd also like to note that the costs of various enchants can be changed via a config file - the 30 levels shown in the image are just a guideline.

The blaze powder next to the item being enchanted in the image is a button that removes all enchants on an item for free. Like /unenchant, but with a button instead of a command.

I'd also like to note that the costs of various enchants can be changed via a config file - the 30 levels shown in the image are just a guideline.

Interesting. Again, any reason to specifically remove /unenchant?

Interesting. Again, any reason to specifically remove /unenchant?

He's not necessarily saying it'd remove /unenchant, it'd just be another way to do the same thing but from the enchanting table interface.

I can't see a defined reason to keep the /unenchant command, as smilers plugin effectively does the same thing, with the only requirement being that you are at an enchantment table - perfectly reasonable to me. I have no strong opinions for or against removing the /unenchant command, and as such, would prefer to then see it removed, simply due to it being redundant.

Beyond that, I feel Enchantism will be the fix we've always wanted for enchanting. It'll allow for a more direct path to the enchantments you want, drastically cutting out the grind time, and hopefully put more aptly geared players on the field of battle.

• Upvote 1

Should we blindly defend vanilla regardless of the obvious issues, regardless of wasting people's time in a way that's not reasonable?

Again, my opinion here, but no, we should not. Vanilla minecraft get's boring, and it has its flaws, we need to accept these as facts and find ways to better improve upon it. Vanilla is a boring flavour anyways. Let's not be afraid to at least mix in a few chocolate sprinkles.

• 2 weeks later...

To prompt further discussion on this, a couple questions for everyone to consider:

Should we scale level costs accordingly with something like the level of enchant you have available to select from?

i.e. Protection IV would cost you 30 levels, so should III cost 25, II cost 20, and I cost 10 levels, for example?

Do you have any of your own ideas for how we could handle level 'prices'?

What interest is there in including the options for enchants that you typically would not be able to get? The way the UI is set up, levels for each enchant can go up to IV (sidenote: If you want V for something you might need to enchant it on a book first or combine two IV enchants, perhaps an appropriate price to pay for being able to choose your enchant?) so that means enchantments such as Knockback IV and Punch IV could be available. Is that something people are interested in having implemented, and if so, how should we handle 'costs' of having something like this made available in the realm of otherwise vanilla-available enchants?

To prompt further discussion on this, a couple questions for everyone to consider:

Should we scale level costs accordingly with something like the level of enchant you have available to select from?

i.e. Protection IV would cost you 30 levels, so should III cost 25, II cost 20, and I cost 10 levels, for example?

Do you have any of your own ideas for how we could handle level 'prices'?

Yes, different enchantments should have different costs depending on what the enchantment is. To get costs I would suggest getting them from here: http://pernsteiner.org/minecraft/enchant/tables/

What interest is there in including the options for enchants that you typically would not be able to get? The way the UI is set up, levels for each enchant can go up to IV (sidenote: If you want V for something you might need to enchant it on a book first or combine two IV enchants, perhaps an appropriate price to pay for being able to choose your enchant?) so that means enchantments such as Knockback IV and Punch IV could be available. Is that something people are interested in having implemented, and if so, how should we handle 'costs' of having something like this made available in the realm of otherwise vanilla-available enchants?

I would stay away from any of these non-vanilla enchantments for now. The reason being that we have no idea how a punch 4 may change PVP in the sense that it may make a bow OP for example. Extra efforts would need to be made to thoroughly test and see how each of the non-vanilla enchantments affect the gameplay.

But the most pressing issue I believe is how we'll use Enchantism to address the PVP issues in 1.6 per this thread https://nerd.nu/forum/index.php?/topic/588-vanilla-pvp-is-broken-in-16/ This will affect non-vanilla enchantments if that ever gets decided to be included.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to limit how many high level enchants can be done, say four a week? If this was matched with some alt-tracking (which is a big thing that could be left to later), then it could provide some balance, or some greater value to clans.

I won't speak as to whether such a thing is possible, but putting limits on people's gameplay is not something I am personally keen on seeing happen. Hard no from me personally on the idea of alt-tracking too - i've no need to monitor or track who your alt accounts are unless you're using them for evading a ban or malicious/rule-breaking purposes. I'm not comfortable with the idea of us freely monitoring what accounts you own, unless you're doing something wrong with them, that's your business and we don't need to know.

• Upvote 1