Creative server admin Q&A's

Cyotie911

Okay, I've decided that there should be a place to:

#1. Share ideas about ways to improve the creative server.

#2. Voice any issues/bugs that anyone has found in the creative server.

#3. Any general question that you would like to ask a Creative Admin.

Any and all questions will be answered sincerely. No question is invalid and everyone should be encouraged to post here.

So, ask away.

• Upvote 3

How do you get your hair so silky smooth?

What kind of shampoo do you use?

If I payed you $100 dollars could I be the next C admin?

1. My hair get's so silky smooth because I actually wash it with bar soap.

2. See #1

3. No

Where did you hear about minecraft?

Where did you hear about the servers?

How long did it take to build your bestest creation ever?

1. I didn't really hear about minecraft from anyone.  I happened to wander into a classroom, at a college where I work, and saw someone playing. 

2. I, like a lot of people here, found this server from watching an avo video.  This server was actually the first server I ever joined and I pretty much never left.  I joined the server, I believe in March of 2011 and became a moderator in July of 2011.  I became a server administrator for the creative server in March of 2012.

3. I can't remember how long it took me but I remember building a 200 x 300 x 300 atari 2600 complete with controllers and a TV with pacman on it.  I'll have to see if I can find some pictures of it to post.

What's the recommended way to deal with noobs asking questions that are already answered at spawn?

The best way to handle this is to just answer their questions politely.  A lot of people fly away from spawn without ever looking at the rules so, if a player is at least taking the time to ask about it, I'll be more than happy to answer it.

• Upvote 2

Okay ill keep my questions simple this time.

1. Why ?
  2. When ?
  3. How ?
  4. Beer or Wine ?
  5. What was the worst thing you ever had to do for the sake of the server in your time as a C Admin ?
  6. and last but not least Why was it the worst thing you had to do ?
  • Upvote 3

Okay ill keep my questions simple this time.

1. Why ?
  2. When ?
  3. How ?
  4. Beer or Wine ?
  5. What was the worst thing you ever had to do for the sake of the server in your time as a C Admin ?
  6. and last but not least Why was it the worst thing you had to do ?

1. Why?  Because

2. When? Sometime in the future

3. How? With as little effort as possible

4. Beer, but only when there is no liquor available, and only when it's Guinness.

5. Probably the worst thing I've had to do is ban friends because they broke the rules.

6. Because they are friends and It's not enjoyable but has to be done.

• Upvote 3

Guest Former Staff

What're your thoughts on making some kind of official C promo video?

We began discussing this on the archived forum. This has to happen, it's too good of an idea to pass up on. Let everyone get involved by contributing to either being in the video, making the video or even just at the planning stages!

How can we work towards improving C's low  average player count?

We need to ensure firstly that creative is a place where people want to return to, we're working on various things to ensure this is the case which we will announce as each of them are ready. From this point onwards, we'll be looking into advertising beyond our usual bubble, with things such as the aforementioned promotional video.

What is going to happen on 15th June which is my birthday and the server's? Double birthday :)

I'm going to answer your question with a question. What do you think should happen on 15th June? You're welcome to submit a new topic, we're always interested in hearing feedback / new ideas.

1. What do you think about railroads and rollercoasters on C, many people, including me, make them, and they tend to get in the way of some people's builds

2. What would you do to make C's very low player count to go up

3. What do you think about the commands that C has, like /nv, /mode, and all those other ones

4. How hard is it to be a C admin, is it fun?

Sorry that there are so many questions in here

1. What do you think about railroads and rollercoasters on C, many people, including me, make them, and they tend to get in the way of some people's builds

2. What would you do to make C's very low player count to go up

3. What do you think about the commands that C has, like /nv, /mode, and all those other ones

4. How hard is it to be a C admin, is it fun?

Sorry that there are so many questions in here

1. As far as the rules go, they are all okay to build.  However, rail's that span across the map, that are merely a single wide block with a rail on top can be considered an eye sore, they tend to limit the ability to build in areas, and are rarely protected because of either the span of space they they interfere with or the effort they require due to hardly ever being built in a straight line.  They become easily griefable due to the blocks being able to be broken from underneath then and the rail disappearing also, then when we roll back a griefer, the rails never reappear unless we redo the builders edits also.  Rollercoasters are cool because they are normally built within an area just like any other build would be..

2. We have had several Ideas that we have been throwing around that could help with bringing the player count up.  I believe that we lost a few people with the last update that was put out by minecraft.  This was probably due to the fact of our player base on Creative, seems to have shifted it's age group to a young crowd.  I figure that most of the younger player base might not understand how to downgrade the update after updating their client and were now stuck not being able to join our servers until they were updated..

2b. Video's, events, contests, and other things will probably be in the works for in the future.

3. The commands that have been put in place to help the users I believe allow the game to be vanilla enough but allow the players to us features that wouldn't be available otherwise due to the things we have to disable.  For example, /nv is the same as using a night vision potion, but having this command allows for it's use without enabling all of the other potions.

4.  Being a C admin is hard and also fun.  It's a lot of work but it's rewarding to provide the help that people ask for.  Unfortunately it cuts into your playing time.  I can honestly say that I rarely really play minecraft anymore and most of my time on the servers is spent as staff and not as a player.  

• Upvote 1

Hi Cyo

Same question for you too

What was the worst screwup you ever made on the servers ?

C. Does AllNaturalXx have a b-day on 15th June too?

Nobody cares about your fricking birthday

Everytime of the year you start the same sh.. again and you wonder why you are ignored here ?

• Upvote 5

What is the worst thing each CAdmin has seen?

Well guess I'll be honest.  Having been in the Navy and having been on a drug combat surface vessel boarding team.  I have seen my friends shot and killed and have shot drug runners.  That's pretty much going to be the worst thing I have seen.

• Upvote 4

Well guess I'll be honest.  Having been in the Navy and having been on a drug combat surface vessel boarding team.  I have seen my friends shot and killed and have shot drug runners.  That's pretty much going to be the worst thing I have seen.

... Holy  shit.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Moving on!

For All You Guys

1. We rarely see some of you on the servers anymore, and it's mainly due to the responsibilities of being Admins as well as personal reasons, I presume. What can we do as a community to give admins more time to actually play and enjoy the servers?

2. Biggest accomplishment in life?

3. Aspirations? Dream job? Career goals?

4. Where did you get your usernames?

5. The nerd community appears to expanding little by little, what are your opinions on this?

6. What made you want to stay at nerd?

7. Ask me anything.

For Barlimore:

1. NOOOOO DON'T LEAVE US! Nah, becoming Head Admin is fantastic, we know the community will benefit greatly from your efforts. Anything big you have planned for the servers?

2. How long have you used ":-)"?

For buzzinbee:

1. So, now that the Era of Fire and Suffering is underway, how do you feel you will adapt to the position? Are you excited about what is to come?

2. CTA, those of us involved who aren't mods feel a bit out of the loop and would appreciate a few bits and details in order to prepare, that way we can get started the minute the new rev comes about.

For Cyotie:

1. As someone who is looking into joining the Navy quite soon, are there any pointers you can give me?

2. You banned me in rev 16 for pimping out a zombie statue that was griffed, WTH?

For Dumbo:

1. Where'd you go? (You don't have to answer)

2. Your builds appear to have a bit of architectural merit, does that stem from a personal interest?

Moving on!

For All You Guys

1. We rarely see some of you on the servers anymore, and it's mainly due to the responsibilities of being Admins as well as personal reasons, I presume. What can we do as a community to give admins more time to actually play and enjoy the servers?

5. The nerd community appears to expanding little by little, what are your opinions on this?

7. Ask me anything.

For buzzinbee:

1. So, now that the Era of Fire and Suffering is underway, how do you feel you will adapt to the position? Are you excited about what is to come?

2. CTA, those of us involved who aren't mods feel a bit out of the loop and would appreciate a few bits and details in order to prepare, that way we can get started the minute the new rev comes about.

All you guys section:

1 - Try hosting events for creative, ie spleef events, we will often try to get the community involved in these sorts of things but it's time consuming.

2 - Giant pony in sandbox... erh well I completed a rubix cube a few times. :/ suddenly realizes lack of accomplishments in life.

3 - I personally would like to become a microbiologist, dream job play in a band (that actually gets money), get a job that I actually want to get up in the mornings to go to.

4 - I hate my username, I must have been really tired and I just thought of a bug/animal and then another thing that began with the same first letter as the bug/animal and was slightly relevant. :/

5 - I think it's great more people the better.

6 - Talking to people and getting friends, I've always had a good friend on the nerd servers first one was an irl friend phantom_hoover, then btree then several people like zhenwan, john, char, taco and a load more.

7 - If you could change 1 thing about creative what would it be?

For buzzinbee section:

1 - It's still early days, I am getting to grips with things, I hope to try and implement a few new things that could attract a few more player... ;) but more on that at a later date.

2 - CTA is going to be using the CARTS network, the 4 colours of cta will represent different quadrants, cities pixelart and bigtown will be given carts stations, impressive builds will be given the old cta stop stations, the reason behind using carts is that it's easy to teach new players and it can also spread throughout the map quickly. I believe there is a thread up on this and I also plan on using the CTA subreddit more frequently. http://www.reddit.com/r/mcpubliccta as you can see it's been left alone for quite some time :P

Hope this answers your questions sufficiently enough :) 

Guest Former Staff

Thank you for your questions Magnyus.

For me logging onto the creative server only reminds me of the reset that is needed, so I tend to keep appearances brief and return to the preparation server. To answer your question though, disputes between people take up a lot of time. It's enjoyable to spend time with people knowing that at the end of it two people are going to be able to continue playing the servers without the dispute ongoing. However this does take a significant amount of time so all I would ask is for everyone to try to be more understanding of other people where possible.

The year 2010 seems like a good accomplishment, in hindsight.

My aspirations are very closely tied to the upcoming two years.

I made this name up by using a mixture of short words together to make a name that sounded 'right'.

Expansion is good particularly at a steady pace. This may be a reflection of recent advertising but we'll have to look further into the impact of this.

I'm not too interested in the blocks, they are a bonus because every minecraft community has them. For me I stay because the community is fantastic and I mean that from a place of appreciation and not some 'admin response #342'.

7. Ask me anything.

What are you most looking forward to for creative revision 25?

1. NOOOOO DON'T LEAVE US! Nah, becoming Head Admin is fantastic, we know the community will benefit greatly from your efforts. Anything big you have planned for the servers?

With the creative admins taking over the upcoming reset more and more my time can be more divided between each of the servers. I don't have any big plans, at least I don't believe them to be big. I'm more interested in little changes as I can see a lot of them that are needed such as ensuring everyone can give feedback on staff nominees when the topics are relevant. If I plan any big changes I'll be sure to put up a discussion topic first as I find people can bring in different opinions which helps to shape the best decisions.

2. How long have you used ":-)"?

Since

. :-)